• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One-Punch Man

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I liked the Sea King finished episode, and iirc so did Nick. The problem is the rest of the show. Right after that great episode where we get growth for Genos, Saitama, and a great moment for Mumen Rider, we go back to "let's pretend this character is a real threat, look, side characters who also punch stuff but not as effectively". The ending episodes were such a disappointment after that one high point.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
It is true that One Punch Man is lacking a little in the emotional department, but I feel that his relationship with Genos is a standout development for the character. At the start of the series Saitana's is not exactly thrilled to have a disciple, but by the end the two seem to have a working friendship/teacher and student relationship.
RocketOtter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I actually figured on what each grade means as a score (at least in Nick's case):

A+: 10
A: 9
A-: 9/8
B+: 8
B: 7
B-: 6/5
C+: 4
C: 3
C-: 2
D-anything and F-anything: 1

I actually checked his scores on MAL and they seem to be pretty damn accurate to this grading system I theorized.

I liked One Punch Man more than Nick did (though I will agree that in its season Owarimonogatari overshadows it), but I do understand his flaws with the series. Good review regardless of my differing opinions.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that Saitama was pissed due to Mumen Rider getting beat up and nearly killed, plus he saw what'd happened to the other heroes as well. He doesn't seem to worry a whole bunch about Genos, because Genos is *really* hard to destroy completely. No, I think it was what had happened to the other heroes, and particularly Mumen Rider, that pissed him off.
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:15 pm Reply with quote
It's a genre parody. I thought it was pretty clever for twisting a lot of the genre tropes. Like how Saitama is not enthusiastic at all about fighting, has had no special training, and takes out enemies in one punch rather than over like fifty episodes... the opposite of the shounen hero. I find all this "it's just standard shounen" talk strange since I thought it was pretty obviously shounen, but turned up to 11 for the purpose of parody. There aren't so many overt jokes so much as all the details are supposed to poking fun at especially 90's shounen. I guess maybe people just don't find genre parody as funny as I do.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Expectations play into part of it.
So, one way to divide criticisms into two categories:
Those that are based on the material presented. I'd say that the flaws Nick points out largely fall under this.

And then there are those that are based on the speaker wanting or expecting one thing, but the material was always doing something else. Like if you go into OPM expecting/wanting a straight shounen demographic action series, you're not going to get what you want. If you expect/want a more typical parody series with explicit gags all over the place, you're not going to get that. That's less to do with the given material and more to do with your eyes/mind looking elsewhere. It's like biting into a cheeseburger and then going, 'gah, this is one terrible cheesesteak'.

Or, in one sentence, there's judging it for what it is, and then there's judging it for what it isn't.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I am a little disillusioned in how the Review didn't mention the most important aspect of OPM:

Every Mayor villain is Saitama under different circumstances:

- The Crab guy had dead eyes, just like Saitama.

- The Gigant Guy wanted to be the strongest Man in the World, just like Saitama.

- The Genus was somebody so smart he felt alone and lost with no equal, just like Saitama.

- Hammerhead was an unemployed man with no future and felt rejected by society, just like Saitama.

- The King of the Sea Believed himself to be the pinnacle of power and evolution and wanted a challenge, just like Saitama.

- Boros, beyond obvious how he is just like Saitama.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Seems like everybody agrees on the series being "the strongest" in the Deep Sea King arc, since it's whatever there is to analyze it's at plain sight, meaning, Mumen Rider's character, Saitama's, the Heroes, the society, and the Hero Association.

But I hardly think that Boros' arc is any less interesting or making it go to "waste". True, there is no tension per se that a character could die, except maybe Atomic Samurai's disciple who got away with only an arm off, nevertheless you'd think things are going to take a turn for the worse.

However, when I see Boros fighting all-out (I watched this fight like five or six times already), I see what Saitama would like to be; to find someone who can entertain him good enough for him to release all of his power. And truth be told, he could find it... But that would be betraying himself, he swore to be a hero, and that means being as good as a guy as he can, not only killing monsters.

He's reluctant to fight for the sake of a strong challenge, Boros wasn't, and affirmed to have destroyed entire planets for it, to Saitama that's just a real dick move, but as he dislikes what he did, he also respects Boros as a fellow warrior and allows him to go out with a bang, but he got bored midway, that's why he said "Blah blah blah, are you done with this fight?", Saitama already knew he would win but if Boros was bluffing so much he wanted to get on with it already.

Well, I'm sure many people do not see it this way but that's okay, I would agree that it's more of an interpretation since it's not as evidente as in the Sea King arc.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
@spleen gets it. It's not one joke told over and over. It's the same punchline (no pun intended) to a different parody each fight. Each buildup is brilliant and becomes hilarious because of the punchline that's coming.

Plot doesn't exist in this show for the most part. It's not the point and one isn't necessary. The show melds the above with some lovely character work. And yes, they did. Saitama isn't the same at the end of the series. He's being forced into making connections and decisions about those connections in his life. He's changing everyone around him and being forced to deal with the repercussions. That is an exciting part of the show for me, so I'm looking forward to another season when it happens.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Yep, pretty much spot on there. Although I think I was bothered just a little bit more by its flaws. All the action scenes, impressive visual spectacles though they may be, are pretty much just there to build up to the same throwaway gag. That being Saitama is incapable of understanding the gravity of his current situation due to his immense power.

I honestly could not stand the show at all. I ended up dropping it after episode 3. I've never been this confused by the overwhelmingly positive reaction to something in my entire life.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
What everyone expected from this forum: ENRAGED FANBOYZZZ

What we actually got: "It got stale after episode 3, only one joke, never thought it was that good anyway, most overrated show..." hipsters.

Interesting, but not really surprising. Shows and movies that have immediate popularity always get eventual backlash like this (whether deserving or not)

Maybe instead of trying to stoke the fires with flamebait comments you might actually add your own opinion on the show or review and what you agreed or disagreed with.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:01 pm Reply with quote
"Hey, One Punch Man, tell another joke?" If you're not there for the one punch, I don't know why you're watching. Anyway, I found One Punch Man to be funny besides its concept. I LOVED Mumen Rider and all the c-level heroes, all the other weird superheroes, Saitama's lazy approach to being a sanctioned superhero, and the jokes done at the expense of our trollish social media society.

A great show. Is it a great story? I will agree that it's not. It's not an epic novel, no. It's just a great action-comedy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zepoleba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do you need to be an animator to review animated works?

Personally, I don't expect critics of animation to be animators.
Like I said, everyone has their opinions. I appreciate talking to anyone that has similar interests, whether they be an expert or a fan. But, to be considered a professional on a given subject is a different matter.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
A critic doesn't need to be an expert on the matter he/she is criticizing, but it does help if a critic knows what he/she is talking about. That being said, being an animator doesn't make you the best person to criticize animation. Writing is an art, and animators are best at animation.

So I never really got the "Hey, you try doing what I do" sort of criticism of critics. You can get something of an education about a subject by being part of that audience and being knowledgeable of your subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
The way I see it, the purpose of a critic is to explain something to a typical audience member. For most media, your typical audience member isn't going to be part of the industry and will have limited knowledge of how the work is produced, if any.

Hence, I'd say the people a critic must be most in tune with are the intended audience of whatever they're criticizing. Whether they're part of the production of these things is irrelevant, because to most consumers, the people who make them are irrelevant. What matters most is the end product, its quality, and its presentation (and usually its price, but this was a streaming show, so that didn't matter much).

If anything, more often than not, being part of the industry causes you to lose touch with the audience (unless you're in a field that deals directly with consumers, like marketing), as you become more focused on tiny things or subtle things that normal people wouldn't notice or care about. For instance, animators working on The Incredibles spent a year trying to make Violet's hair look right, as it was the first serious attempt at realistic long hair in 3-D CGI, but as proud as the team was to pull it off, no one but animators and fans of the animation process will care.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6