• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Come More Anime Characters Don't Have Tattoos?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
I live in Richmond VA, the tattoo capital of the US. Something like 1 in 8 people here have some kind of tattoo. My brother has dozens of them, including a sleeve. I have no plans on getting one, but I've toyed with the idea of getting a small gemini symbol somewhere (probably on the side of my naval). The idea of something on my skin forever doesn't appeal to me. I think they can look cool though, and I'm very against the idea of them being any kind of factor in businesses not hiring someone. I run into tattooed people so often, I hardly even notice anymore. I couldn't give a rat's ass if my bank teller had a sleeve.

Not sure I could see them in anime though. They would be too distracting. Few western animated characters have them. Pocahontas is the only one I can think of right now. Revy from Black Lagoon is the only anime character I can think of with an unimportant tattoo.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:15 am Reply with quote
I've seen an equal amount of (in my eyes) appalling and appealing tattoos. Generally speaking, I think there are some very cool ones out there, but I'm too indecisive to get one myself. I'd get a Triforce on my hand, then a month later wish I'd instead got an Archangel symbol from Mass Effect on my shoulder. While practising parkour I'll get an urge to get the circuit board sleeve tattoo from Mirror's Edge, but by the end of the day conclude it'd look stupid.

I think it'd be nice to get a bigger visual variation in characters. My tolerance for brown-haired, white-skinned, average-joes in highschool uniforms is wearing thin, and this is coming from someone who looks like a stereotypical anime protagonist. I think there was someone in Tokyo Ghoul who had a lot of tattoos, that looked cool.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
Tattoos also have a stigma in the United States: Many retail businesses will not hire people who have tattoos they cannot cover up. White Castle is very strict on this issue, for instance. Tattoos are still associated in the United States with gangs and violence, though there seems to be an increasing amount of tattoos of some pop culture character or icon. Those seem to be more acceptable (but still unacceptable to enough people that these businesses have a no-tattoos policy on employment).

D00dleB0Y wrote:
There is a guy in Speed Grapher who has a power that specializes in using his tattoos to fight people. So of course, the guy is covered in tattoos. I think there should be more powers like that because it is pretty cool.

There's the Tattooed Man, who is, if I recall correctly, a D-list Spider-Man villain.

I do remember that foe in Speed Grapher though. He could also transfer his tattoos onto other people, which allowed him to manifest that tattoo whenever he wanted and could track their locations. There was a scene where he transferred a tattoo of...a dragon, I believe, onto much of the front side of the torso of a woman he was about to have sex with, making it look like she was tattooed from right below her neck to around her navel. I'm sure that would've been an outright scandalous tattoo on a woman in Japan.

Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm all for more tattoos in anime. A harem series where every girl has their own magical tramp stamp tattoo would be entertaining.

So...Equestria Girls? (Well, that's more a magical girl franchise.)

koinosuke wrote:
One notable anime character with a tattoo would be Nami from One Piece, though of course the origin of the original version of her tattoo comes from being a part of a radical pirate crew (Arlong's), so even in her case it has to do with crime.

A lot of One Piece characters have tattoos. Luffy temporarily had the "3D2Y" one, no doubt based on his brother Ace's "A(crossed-out S)CE" tattoo. Trafalgar Law has both his Jolly Roger on his chest (and shoulders and back and the backs of his hands) and the word "DEATH" spelled out across his fingers. The branding used to indicate slaves of the Nobles was reappropriated into the Sun Pirates emblem. Some of the Whitebeard Pirates allies has Whitebeard's Jolly Roger.

No doubt Eiichiro Oda has a lot of tattooed characters, nearly all of them pirates, to indicate they operate beyond the law and live lives of freedom. Sakazuki is a case of a character on the government's side with a tattoo, however, and his rose one is a whopper.

CheezcakeMe wrote:
I appreciate a well done tattoo, I've seen some beautiful ink-work in my day, but so many people get the stupidest (or cheapest) crap on their skin. Yeah I'm sure that band or tv show will still mean something to you in 6 months. *eyeroll*
Either make your tattoo about something that'll be important to you the rest of your life (like the name or birth date of your child) or pay the extra money to get something really cool and artsy that won't age like a pop culture reference.

It takes a lot of commitment to pick something specific to commission to a tattoo artist. If someone wants a tattoo of, say, the House Lannister sigil, chances are they like Game of Thrones enough that it'll be a reference point for the rest of their lives. I mean, a restaurant themed on Saved by the Bell just popped up in the midwest. Who's heard any discussion about that show in the past decade?

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Not sure I could see them in anime though. They would be too distracting. Few western animated characters have them. Pocahontas is the only one I can think of right now. Revy from Black Lagoon is the only anime character I can think of with an unimportant tattoo.

In general, you'll find tattooed characters far more often in western animation aimed at adults, as works aimed at children tend to be about children or teenagers or are otherwise afraid of creating the wrong role model for viewers.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:13 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Gasero wrote:
If I was an animation artist, I would definitely want to avoid extra stuff like tattoos on my characters. It's already tough enough when characters have scars and accessories.

Eh, honestly, I'm pretty sure they'd just use Photoshop's Warp tool to bend an image around whatever body part it's attached to. It's not that hard to do, actually; much easier than clothing. Anime hyper

And at the risk of sounding ignorant:

Justin Sevakis wrote:
If you think that's a little harsh, tattoos are still illegal in Korea unless they're done by a doctor.

I can't imagine a medical scenario requiring a tattoo, and I kind of doubt a cosmetics doctor (like a plastic surgeon or whatever) would have the know-how to give someone a tattoo.

I know doctors recreate nipples and areolae after mastectomies and breast reconstuctions via tattoos. That's one medical use. I also think they use tattoos in some instances for cancer treatment, targetting proton beams more accurately for brain tumour reduction.

I also agree that animating tattoos, especially detailed tattoos would certainly have been difficult in days past. Now of course, the temptation would be to animate in 3D CGI, texture map the tattoos on, and then 'convert' to faux 2D as some anime are made now.

My fave anime tattoo would be Revy in Black Lagoon. She had some serious ink.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:06 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
It's also probably because that's just one more thing to draw/animate so why add it for no reason. Sure, if the manga has a character(s) with a tattoo(s), or a light novel makes a special note of it or it's in one of the illustrations, then the animators' hands are tied, but outside of that it would probably just be a hassle for them unless they actually have a story or character where it's a significant element.

There is probably something to that. Cartoon characters, regardless of where they are created, tend to wear the same outfit all the time, or at least most of the time, since it is quicker, easier, and cheaper than coming up with a full wardrobe for each character. I can't imagine they are eager to add to the workload any more than necessary.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
When I grew up tattoos were things pirates, bikers, and sailors had.

Personally, some of them look nice close up, but when you are looking at the person, they are just a blot of ink marring the natural beauty of a person.
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
You can just wear clothes with kickass designs, symbols and logos. At least you can take those off once you outgrow them. Not with tattoos. They stick with you for life so you better be a real punk for life if you're going to taint your skin with ink. Plus you run the risk to get allergies and tetanus and HIV from tattooists who don't know what they're doing. Personally, not the smartest life choice you can make.

That said, when anime and manga do put tattoos in their characters, it's less tackier than in real life. People need to style theirs like Revy's with neutral and sharp lines instead of a goddamn painting on their torsos.
horseradish
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
Personally I can do without 'em. Not opposed to them or anything, but visually I don't like them that much, and would never get one myself. Not too interesting to me.

And perhaps part of the reason is that I could never get a tattoo. I hate having things on my skin, so I guarantee that even if I found it cool to have, I would freak out and carve it out with a knife eventually. Back in elementary school if I got marker on my hands I would spend half of lunch trying to get it off. A tattoo being more permanent than that...ehhhhhhhh

Then the only real problem you'll have with henna is keeping in on your skin long enough to dry and flake off on it's own.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Most estimates I've seen suggest that around 40% of Americans aged 18-40 have had at least one tattoo. I don't think you can still call that "very regional" based on two experiences.

The population is not spread out evenly, though. For example, half the population lives in 146 counties or county-equivalents out of 3,143. So, if something were true of just half the people in those most populated 146 counties and cities, that's already 25% of the entire population, and you still have over twenty times as many such districts remaining. Other than noticing firsthand that they seem less common in intensely conservative areas (as one would expect), I don't have any idea to exactly what degree the popularity of tattoos varies regionally, but the figure you're citing would still be easily possible even with significant variation.

As for tattoos in anime, while I don't "hate" them on other people in real life, I can certainly live without seeing them on fictional characters because it's not something I can relate to. I haven't changed nearly as much as I expected to, or indeed even as much as I really should have, but it's still for the best not to have the evidence of interests from decades past painted all over my body to this day.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
FWIW, most public baths in Japan ban people with tattoos.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Some time back a bathhouse rejecting a woman and refusing to make an exception for cultural tattoos made the news(I want to say she was Maori, but she might've been from some South American tribe). There were, of course, people offended they'd reject someone because of religious tattoos, but ultimately nothing came of it.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I guess the only stupid questions are those you don't ask, but I still don't understand the question. How many tattooed characters you see in American movies or tv shows or cartoons? And I mean characters, who aren't soldiers, musicians, bikers or gangsters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4