• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Qualidea Code (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Yup, looks like everyone is "back" and it's explained that humans have been raised by the Unknowns. Although somehow, they were fighting the humans instead in the fake world.

Got a very awkward feeling from this episode because of the big shift in mood. I think Suzaku still feels a bit mentally stressed though, at least he isn't being all cold anymore. Having Canaria back brings out his better side.

2 more episodes left? I have a feeling this will be rushed..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
Based on the themes it looks like there is a bit of an idea of forgiveness or trying to solve disputes in other ways. The Unknown were perhaps shown as not totally evil, they may be seen as demons to the lives of the people they upended, but if we are to believe one of them, they could actually care about the kids they had with them, which actually makes me a little interested in possibly portraying "evil alien invaders" as not so black and white. The Unknown were beaten by the humans, and perhaps only to survive were left on the defence, which the methods might have been a bit cruel, but maybe not all different from humans saying they need to "kill all the demons". Just as humans can come in different morals, the aliens might too, and I am not beyond thinking that maybe the aliens to survive needed to invade in the first place, like food, or they are fighting a separate war.

I liked the one scene with Maihime and Hotaru getting close too each other and freaking out like they were just caught when the announcement happened. Also, super energetic commander mum.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I liked to see the Unknowns' side in this episode, too.

Also, It doesn't look like spoiler[there is a last surprise hidden in the human's side. That'd had been too much. What fuels the human is the hunger for revenge, nothing more sinister. ]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

It's official: I'm pretty sure Commander Johannes is my favourite character of the season. What a pity she was introduced so late in the game, although for very obvious and good reason.

Another pity is that I wish the show had spent more time on the Asuha/Gutoku relationship from the beginning, including their "parental" dynamic with the kids. Had they done that, what is happening now would be having way more impact on me. Conceptually, there are some very cool ideas being presented here, but because certain relationships weren't properly established it's just not packing the emotional heft it could have.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I wish they had spent more time on everything, really. More time developing the characters, their relationships, their motivations, their animators, their producers, their budget projections, etc.

It's always sad to see a bunch of interesting ideas buried in poor execution. Aside from the Chigusa siblings, it feels like missed opportunities all the way down.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
After watching the finale, I feel pretty underwhelmed. They had some neat ideas for the show but the first few episodes left me with no good impressions. The finale seems to have stuffed a bunch of action at once and resolved the main conflict in a rushed fashion.

Budget went down throughout the season too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Considering how muddled this show got around its mushy middle, I actually thought it ended stronger than I was expecting. I still don't undertand Asuha/Gutoku's end game, however. I thought they had some genuine feeling for the kids but I guess they were prepred to fight them to the bitter end? Tough love, I guess.

In any case, I really want to see The Adventures of Commander Johannes, Super Cute Virgin Holy Mother. Somebody make it so.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I think alienmom wanted to lose, so that the rest of her peeps wouldn't come back, but she didn't seem to be trying to lose very hard. Well, she's an alien, so it doesn't have to make sense ot us.

The show reached the end of its run time, but calling it "finished" might be overstating it a bit.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Could be. Maybe a sort of, "I want the kids to win, but I don't want to cheapen it for them by being a pushover" kind of thing? Well, that's interdimensional aliens for ya.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

If I had to describe Qualidea Code in one word, it would be "overambitious". Unfinished scenes has harmed the series pretty consistently, and I would make the guess that it cheapened the last episode where we are just left with cases of apparently creepy movements from mind reading just by words as the camera decides to keep action out of frame or pan to a different shot while we hear what was going on. If there was a case that everything it felt like they wanted to do was finished I would probably re-watch this to get the intended experience, especially if it had a solid dub, but right now I can't judge it on anything like that.

I would say that Qualidea Code is a big hodgepodge of various light novel tropes, which might leave some people cold, but to be honest it gets me interested. The six main characters split up into three teams of different dynamics is what I would say is an attractive elements. Especially the siblings who felt like a return of SNAFU. Hime seems like a bit of a pointless screen grabber, but turns out to be a pretty cool character, and the chemistry with Hotaru as well as what Canaria and Ichiya had was not that bad either. There was some interesting ideas, but again it was overambitious, there was not enough space in these 12 episodes to both set up and do what they wanted. I did like the mystery though, the general sense that something was wrong, the shock of Canaria being killed off and the looming reveal. I got all the clues and guessed it, but I think there were places it could have improved, especially since the principle episode about it was one of the episodes that had the most unfinished problems.

Despite all the issues, my guts kind of say to rate it Good (7/10), I know what they were going for and I kind of liked it despite how most will feel about it now. I will keep an eye out if they make improvements before a possible physical release.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think alienmom wanted to lose, so that the rest of her peeps wouldn't come back, but she didn't seem to be trying to lose very hard. Well, she's an alien, so it doesn't have to make sense ot us.

The show reached the end of its run time, but calling it "finished" might be overstating it a bit.

I think it's more that spoiler["she" needed to die in order to close the Gate once and for all, but she couldn't kill herself, and Gotoku couldn't kill her, so they thought their best move would be pretending they wanted to hurt the kids* so they could finally kill them], ending the Unknown invasion.

* because that won't leave any trauma to them, after all, you just raised them for years. Of course not.

In summary: the series could have been better, but it seems obvious there were some budget problems. Better than the average Magic Academy series, as they managed to go over the clichés, but they lacked the means. In any case, it will be soon forgotten.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4