• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Anime to Watch With Your Dad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:12 am Reply with quote
My dad definitely does not have stereotypical dad tastes when it comes to anime. He basically hates anything that's "violent" (he spent my entire Gundam and Dragonball Z watching childhood asking me why Japanese shows were so violent Rolling Eyes )

However, my dad is the one who gave me my appreciation for animation thanks to his extensive knowledge of Bugs Bunny cartoons, so he has enjoyed a number of anime with me. The shows we've watched together are:

Evangelion (he hated the robots of course but loved everything else)
Serial Experiments Lain
Azumanga Daioh
School Rumble
Rumbling Hearts
Gravitation (seriously!)
Death Note
Sound! Euphonium

And of course, Cowboy Bebop, which is his favorite thing ever and probably what opened his eyes to enjoying anime in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I have not voted yet but Joe Shimamura is who I fight along with. Oh, and to keep him company, I would bring 003.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Any Ghibli movie works well for non-anime fans TBH. Watched them all so far with my dad in theatres.

Bebop is another good one. It doesn't go heavy on anime tropes/cliches...same reason why it's such a great gateway anime.

Read my mind. For a tv series, you can't go wrong with Bebop, especially if dad likes watching movies anyway. And of course, anyone can enjoy a Ghibli movie.

Errinundra wrote:
2. The first two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. That was embarrassing. It went down like a lead balloon. I thought it was puerile.

Even as a big Eva fan, there is absolutely no way I would show my dad (or mom) Evangelion Smile
BakuformerAnime

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
My dad definitely does not have stereotypical dad tastes when it comes to anime. He basically hates anything that's "violent" (he spent my entire Gundam and Dragonball Z watching childhood asking me why Japanese shows were so violent Rolling Eyes )

However, my dad is the one who gave me my appreciation for animation thanks to his extensive knowledge of Bugs Bunny cartoons, so he has enjoyed a number of anime with me. The shows we've watched together are:

Evangelion (he hated the robots of course but loved everything else)
Serial Experiments Lain
Azumanga Daioh
School Rumble
Rumbling Hearts
Gravitation (seriously!)
Death Note
Sound! Euphonium

And of course, Cowboy Bebop, which is his favorite thing ever and probably what opened his eyes to enjoying anime in the first place.
but why Euphonium? That's for a Musical Little Sis who plays a instrument on Band Class. I suggest Champloo. That's what my Dad watches.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Goku was not on the list. In Goku's defense, at least he spent a lot more time with his kids than Minato did spend with Naruto.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Food Wars hasn't been licensed since it got a lot of reviews during it's run. The whole "foodgasms" thing had me curious.

I got 5 anime you could view with your DAD, well that depends on their taste.

-GaoGaiGar
-Appleseed or Ghost in the Shell
-Fist of the North Star
-Mobile Suit Gundam Z or Boring German's in Space
-Death Note
-Giant Robo
-Monster

If you want fun

-Lucky Star
-Azumanga Daioh
-Heroman
-Princess Nine
-Fate/
(series any one of them)
-Madoka Magica (There are some dads that like magical princesses believe it or not)
-Denno Coil (because someone's dad has to be into AR)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Errinundra wrote:
2. The first two episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion. That was embarrassing. It went down like a lead balloon. I thought it was puerile.

Even as a big Eva fan, there is absolutely no way I would show my dad (or mom) Evangelion Smile

My views on NGE have softened over time, though it still isn't a favourite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I made my dad watch all of the Madoka Magica movies in cinema

being dad is suffering

Chrno2 wrote:
I'm surprised that Food Wars hasn't been licensed since it got a lot of reviews during it's run.

It has been licensed, though.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Batou from GitS would be a good one to have at your side in a fight. You could use him as a shield.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4