• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2016 Berserk Anime Listed at 12 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpmss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
If it is ending this soon I guess I now longer have to worry about it potentially dragging on and will watch it; then again cliffhanger ending garbage is still possible.
The thread in general wrote:
this CGI crap

I wonder what qualifies as good CGI for TV anime standards around here.

nothing, there isn't a single instance of good cgi in any anime.

it all looks like fake shit since it doesn't blend in with everything else.

they just don't have the money to make it look as good as hand drawn.

Well, I'm gonna be that guy and give you the name of a shitty anime that actually gets the job done with CGI + 2D blending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLi2rKMgFxY
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
If it is ending this soon I guess I now longer have to worry about it potentially dragging on and will watch it; then again cliffhanger ending garbage is still possible.
The thread in general wrote:
this CGI crap

Well few, if any, of any of the people who are complaining know jack all about animation. A lot seem to know about frame rates through video games, and don't seem to realise that film is an entirely different medium, and consists of full frames, unlike video games. So they complain that it isn't running at a high frame, even though film runs at 24fps. I've done 3D modelling, and honestly it looks fine, it's smooth and their is some good camera work. The models themselves are not very detailed, which is why they use key framing for close ups and comedic faces.

It could of been better, but it also could of been a lot worse, people don't realise how expensive 3DCG is compared to traditional animation. I think most people were just determined to hate it from the first PV
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
@MarshalBanana I determined to hate the show after seeing the pilot, it was me after all who repeatedly said to give it a chance after concrete detail started to come out. Only the revelations of the last week before release made my spider-sense tinge. Anyone who thinks that the broken 3D (or 2D) animation is the main problem with this show is doing it wrong anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The models themselves are not very detailed, which is why they use key framing for close ups and comedic faces.

It could of been better, but it also could of been a lot worse, people don't realise how expensive 3DCG is compared to traditional animation. I think most people were just determined to hate it from the first PV

Not very detailed seems awfully kind, haha. I've done a little bit of 3D modeling myself just as a hobbyist, toying around with Blender; it looks to me like Berserk (2016)'s models are seriously lacking in poly-count in exactly those areas where movement (particularly facial expression) is relevant. The animation looks intensely artificial when characters have to rotate or move about substantially, and I suspect that's because the models aren't detailed enough to support detailed rigging. Granted, I think it would ultimately look somewhat artificial regardless, but I don't think this is a studio putting its best foot forward in that regard.

I also think the sheer labor expense of 3D CGI is further reason to be critical of the production studio. If they could more cheaply produce something that looked better in hand-drawn 2D, why go the 3D route, particularly for a title like Berserk, which could easily become a flagship project? I could understand wanting to produce CGI-2D hybridized titles in part just for experimentation's sake, but I don't see why you'd choose this particular series to attempt something like that.

Nevertheless, as I expressed in the episode review thread a moment ago, I am finally enjoying this adaption of Berserk. I think the production team's steadily improved, and, as the episode ended, I had exactly that "No, not yet!" reaction you get when you know you're really engaged with an experience.
traffiktiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
This news is a shame because the show is getting better. Episode 7 is great stuff. I hope they bring the series back in the spring or summer of next year.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Part of the problem is they adapted one of the worst arcs of the manga, which they're currently airing. It makes the boat one look like a roller-coaster by comparison. Rolling Eyes
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
traffiktiger wrote:
This news is a shame because the show is getting better. Episode 7 is great stuff. I hope they bring the series back in the spring or summer of next year.

Completely agree, 7 really blew me away how good it was, especially towards the end. All these people giving up on this show after the pilot or first 2-3 episodes are really missing out IMO. It has only been steadily getting better, and follows the manga more closely.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Arpeggio of Blue Steel, from 2013, was leagues better. Granted, shows like that and Sidonia had the benefit of action scenes with rigid pieces like ships or mecha, but the character animation was never a huge issue other than the typical Japanese frame cutting. More recently, God Eater.
vision33r

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
This is feeler series, brought back to see how much interest into this old anime series where most new animes are about modern times. They chose the arc that didn't need to drag on for 25+ eps. They could've easily go back to the beginning and need 25 eps to give a better intro to Guts.

So hopefully another season comes for 18+ episode with the later arc.
Ginki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
traffiktiger wrote:

Completely agree, 7 really blew me away how good it was, especially towards the end. All these people giving up on this show after the pilot or first 2-3 episodes are really missing out IMO. It has only been steadily getting better, and follows the manga more closely.

the anime adaptation is still bad. just because it follows the manga for few episodes it doesn't automatically mean it's good. and it's not always following the manga. it's inconsistent, so it's not good. those that dropped the anime don't miss anything from this. most likely the ending is gonna suck. they have to cover 26 chapters of manga in 4 episodes, and episode 8 covered 2.5 chapters. i hope this never gets animated again from this studio. they ruined the amazing manga enough
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4