• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Treecko Tempo wrote:
The image next to the Bubuki/Buranki review I believe is not from that show.

Fixed; thanks!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sorry Nick and Rebecca, but I don't agree with your low scores. The first episode of Tiger Mask was awesome. I'm totally onboard for this one! :D

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
CardamonPastel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Meh. The only Anime I'm remotely interested in this season are Haikyuu! Season 3(?) and Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru. I noticed that in the western fandom, only people that know Hanamaru's game source material have shown interest in it ( Though the Anime has been hyped for months in Japan ) while others who don't place it down there with the rest of the trash Anime this season. And you know what, I don't blame you all.

To be honest, if I wasn't into TOUKEN RANBU I'd overlook it, too. Slice of life isn't popular in the west, for a good reason. And Hanamaru, despite the spurce materials really interesting concept, looks like its going to be a garbage slice of life Anime. The only reason I want to watch it is because of what it's based off of but I'm really not expecting the Anime to be anything revolutionary. Or good. I'm just expecting a cashgrab, 12-episode commercial for TOUKEN RANBU, just as I do anytime I watch Anime based on games. I think HANAMARU will tide me over until 2017 TOUKEN RANBU anime premiers, which I'm expecting to be more solid and entertaining. But I may end up liking Hanamaru in the meantime. Who knows.

I dropped nearly every Anime last season. Not because they were bad but because the ones I watched couldn't hold my interest for too long. Most of the Anime premiering this season just look... Bad. Like they're saving the better Quality Anime for 2017. Maybe I'll give Anime like Bungou Stray Dogs S2 a chance but that would require finishing the first season - mehhh.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, Princess Fine in Izetta is a really promising character (and I really can't say no to actual badass princesses) which makes me really nervous that Hiroyuki Yoshino is writing this. This is going to be one of those series where it could both be solidly entertaining and makes me a nervous wreck in hopes he doesn't screw up. Anime dazed
Key

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
And with Izetta we have our first shipping pandering garbage show that everyone will endlessly praise because omg subtext.

Yes, because the potential for yuri shipping is the only reason why anyone would ever watch that series. You so beautifully hit it on the mark, there. Rolling Eyes

</sarcasm>

But hey, if you want to hate on a show for one minor aspect, it's you're right. I and the other reviewers have provided plenty of argument about why the series is great without even considering the potential yuri factor. If its current average rating holds up (Jacob or Lynzee could still theoretically chime in) then it will match Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju as the highest-rated (non-sequel) debut of the year based on reviewer ratings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
^ You accidentally double posted, man.

But yeah, Izetta is definitely a good debut.

Same with Tiger Mask W.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(Jacob or Lynzee could still theoretically chime in)

While I won't officially be chiming in this season (3mo old baby would make it difficult to keep up) I can verify that aside from some animation issues, I would rate Izetta: The Last Witch at a 4.5/5. I'm really digging Fine as a character and am interested to see how they do this alt-WWII with magic.

I'm also very supportive of the "shipping" in this case, because I can enjoy it if its not too hamfisted or male-audience pandering (which this doesn't appear to be). I'm holding out for whether Izetta ends up being as interesting as Fine though. I'd be disappointed if she ended up having a personality similar to Ginko from Yurikuma (as in a dog-like, single-minded obsession with her love interest) which is the vibe I got from her very limited screen time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Izetta: The Last Witch
I like the way they established a clear starting plotline in the series and also Finé character alone is pretty awesome being more than just 'tomboy-ish' and her speech on the plane was a great as well; personally I found the animation to be quite good, especially the effects of the bombshells hitting the ground and although I did find the way Izetta used the gun as a broom a bit weird, the show in generally for me was surprising good 4.0

WWW.Wagnaria
It was funny some of the time but truthfully some of the jokes in it were really hit-or-miss me (like when Daisuke's family just laughed off the situation they were in) and so far the characters a amusing to watch but none of them a very likable as of yet, I did kinda of expect to have very similar personalities of the staff in the original 'Wagnaria' so I was glad they're quite different 3.0
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
So with Vivid, Izetta and the mahou shoujo battle royal we got a magical girl saterday.

But saturday having 12~ shows is a bit too much.

AsuraTheDestructor wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
And with Izetta we have our first shipping pandering garbage show that everyone will endlessly praise because omg subtext.

Why do I even bother with this medium anymore.

Man, you sure do like to be homophobic, don't you.

Its' probably why you were kicked off TvTropes.

Lesbo/yuriphobic in his case, can't have other people liking stuff.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Don't cut yourself on that edge bro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
DeTroyes wrote:
Shuumatsu no Izetta (The End of Izetta?)

While the English translation of the Japanese title is correct, Crunchyroll and FUNimation are officially calling the series "Izetta: The Last Witch" instead.
Technically it should be the other way round in English - "Izetta of the End" (think how Owari no Seraph is "Seraph of the End").

Anyway, the first episode of the aforementioned show was pretty impressive, but there's just so many things about the show that could go into iffy territory even without the writer's previous history, so my optimism is extremely cautious. As for WWW.WAGNARIA!!, the jokes were a bit hit and miss and the new characters don't all work for me yet, but then the characters in the original also took time to grow on me, so I'll keep an open mind.

Among shorts I've also checked out Kaiju Girls without realizing that it was tied into the Ultraman franchise, with which I'm not at all familiar, so I guess that's an easy drop. And then there's Nyanbo! I might have said something to the effect that last season's Sweetness & Lightning may be the closest thing we'll get to a Yotsuba&! anime, but this just feels like teasing at this point. Yotsuba's right there in the end credits, moving even! And yet the anime isn't about her, or any of the characters from the manga - just something based on a "recurring character". Doesn't help that I was never a huge fan of Danbo/Cardbo to begin with - "white lies we tell our kids"-type storylines are a bit of a pet peeve. Still, the actual show is pretty harmless, visually interesting and at least a bit more imaginative in its humour and "worldbuilding" than Bananya, so I guess I could keep watching it.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Yikes! I don't particularly like yuri undertones in my anime but you're on another level there.

On another note, I'm excited for that Working!! spin-off though. First episode was pretty hype and characters do have that Working feel to them.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Tiger Mask W - If the critics find that it looks too 80s, it seems that that's the plan with TOEI. Most of the main staff is composed of animators and wirters of retro shows, so it's intended to be an homage to 80s shows.

While is not the best animation, it's IMO their best animation in these recent days, as other shows produced by them use animation so flashy, you can't follow the action sequences well, and even you have to repeat them 5 times to understand them(why couldn't World Trigger have this fluidity of animation, GOD?)
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Tiger Mask W is not for me. The villain kills someone in the ring in the first 5 minutes with no one saying "Heeeeey...." Which made me rage. Nope. Don't need the stress. 2/5

Heybot! is not for me. Hey, I'll laugh at bathroom humor-- I have two brothers who made sure of that. But this just wasn't funny to me, maybe because it seemed try-hard. YMMV. 1/5

Uta-Pri.... It's just more of the same. If I only have a couple of anime to watch this season I might watch this too. 2.5/5

Saturday started great and ended with a bunch of duds.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
I did find the way Izetta used the gun as a broom a bit weird

Weird? That was the best part! At first it's not clear how she intends to save the princess with a giant gun... then she starts riding it and you realize, oh, right, that's the closest thing to a broom you're likely to find in an exploding military aircraft. The main thing I found confusing was that the "white witch" has red hair.

Not sure what to expect with that one, since it seems great so far, but the creators aren't what I would call reliable. There's also the fact that obvious yuri subtext rarely crosses the boundary into text, due to one part homophobia and one part male-viewer-appeal, and usually ends with one or both women suddenly dying. But you never know, this time could be different...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 38