• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime References in American Cartoons

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Well, considering that Japan produces 60% of the animation in the world I am actually surprised by how little Western and specially American animation references Japanese animation: thing is that no matter how much Japenese animation has impacted that lifes of North American animators it hasn't the same impact on casual viewers of Western animation.

Wouldn't "casual viewers" of Western animation be little kids? They're probably not old enough to really have that much experience yet. Then they either graduate to weeaboo stage or to Adult Swim stuff. Unless you're going to include preschool shows pretty much every American cartoon these days references or owes itself to Anime in some way. It's definately weird to see someone say 'how little' American animations references it. If anything one could say there's too much and that leads to American animation losing its identity.
NormanS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
There are more subtle references in some cartoons. For example: Batman(can't remember which animated series), TMNT, Adventure time and Starwars Clone wars had a scene where it referenced Kaneda's bike drift in Akira. Heres an article about it, im sure theres more but i don't watch many western cartoons nowadays.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
I'll still always love the "Mock 5" segment of Dexter's Lab.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Now, to talk about "tolerance" and "acceptance" in regards to foreign art shows how little globalization has impacted culture vis a vis the economy: Japanese and Korean cars are much, much more "accepted" in the US than Japanese and Korean pop culture are.

I can't say I know much about the history of Korean automobiles in the United States, but they've both been in the American consciousness for longer than anime has, and even Honda Motors had to struggle for a long while, the business reps almost giving up until they accidentally found a niche for themselves. Honda began trying to sell motorcycles in the United States--their highly maneuveable but slow and prone to overheating bikes couldn't compete with the fast, durable models from Harley-Davidson or Indian better suited for the wide-open highways in the United States. They only accidentally stumbled upon a market for hobby motorcycling that allowed them to survive long enough to understand foreign markets.

So it's not as if Japan's automotive industry took over the US markets immediately.

Top Gun wrote:
I'll still always love the "Mock 5" segment of Dexter's Lab.

I am astonished at myself for having never thought about that.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
The preposterous amount of current TV anime has broken the scales, so i can theocratically believe that half the current worldwide animated (TV) output is anime but even Japan itself is starting to outsource the actual animation process more and more. Let´s see what this will do to the industry in a decade or so.
I frankly get less and less what the word means anymore and the West has now further managed to make more internationally appealing "anime" that Japan itself (besides the ever ongoing SJ action dinosaurs).
The latest example being Voltron by Netflix. Produced out of Missouri and animated in Seoul. Lol.
Studio Mir further animated on Doraemon and Korra flopped in Korea. thanks wiki but Platinum had no idea the show existed either when they were assigned to throw the game together.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:24 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I frankly get less and less what the word means anymore and the West has now further managed to make more internationally appealing "anime" that Japan itself (besides the ever ongoing SJ action dinosaurs).

I think the fact Japan prioritizes their own market is what makes anime so popular in the west, ironically enough. It makes it unique and stand out in an otherwise homogenized animation market. That is probably why so many Western animators take cues from anime, it exposes them to new and fresh ideas

-Stuart Smith
Marcus Carr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Not American (Canadian), but Reboot refereneced Dragon Ball Z.
Marcus Carr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Not American (Canadian), but Reboot refereneced Dragon Ball Z.

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy had an episode called Chicken Ball Z.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Again, The Boondocks crew intentionally hired Japanese animators for key scenes. That's why they resemble certain anime.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Genuinely surprised that Kubo won the poll but then I remembered which site I'm currently on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised they didn't mention the fact that Gumball went Super Saiyan at one point or the time The Simpsons made an entire scene referencing all of Studio Ghibli movies and characters.
#hiros7039

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
I'm honestly shocked that the anime cosplay in the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror didn't make the list.
It should have been number one.

I kind of think what The Simpsons referenced that's too mainstream to make this list. Not obscure enough beyond the level that most Average Joes will have some knowledge and all geeks and school children have some knowledge.
Pokemon is mainstream enough that all Average Joes have some knowledge.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I know this is long overdue but I like this list. It's great that American shows are referencing anime and I hope this continues. I'd love to see anime shows reference American shows as well. I hope this happens more often. It's what's needed for this day and age. I'll ask a question. Did any of you guys when reading this list ever think "Hmmm,this could be right up Snomaster1's alley?" With me,I personally think so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4