• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Azur Lane Anime's Uncut BD Release With TV-14 Rating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Funimation has not released Azur Lane yet. If the release comes out and it’s the censored version then you criticize them all you want. Until the release comes out, fans have no way of knowing to call them liars or shady. And yet if the release turns out to be uncensored, will people hold Robert’s Anime Corner accountable?

It's not just "people" that should do so; if this release really turns out to be uncensored with the home video masters, Funimation should find a way to hold RACS accountable for what amounts to an irresponsible act of sabotage. Maybe stock of certain popular titles like AoT/MHA doesn't make its way to their store? [EDIT: Clearly I mis-stated things -- to re-clarify, Funi does have rights as a private business to decide with whom they do business. They should not do anything underhanded or illegal, like not sending product that was duly paid for.]

Legitimate businesses need to stick together in this cultural climate, and not provide needless grist for the anti-industry outrage mill. The usual clickbait grifters are already capitalizing on potential Azur Lane censorship, and easily tapping into the deep well of pro-Vic/anti-Funi sentiment that's out there. It's like they say, a lie gets around the world before the truth gets out the door, and these influencers' audiences are primed to believe anything negative about Funi and other companies. (Like when Funi mistakenly streamed an unfinished version of a Tamayomi episode in the midst of pandemic confusion, they accused Funi of actively redrawing the animation to make it look worse and fulfill a sinister "agenda" against cute anime girls.)

CardcaptorTakato wrote:
And for fans saying the stream is “free” you are still paying Funimation a monthly subscription fee so they are getting your money and streaming numbers even if you don’t buy the physical.
Funi does still have a free streaming option, at least in the US.

BigOnAnime wrote:
There have been numerous incidents over the years of companies accidentally releasing the TV broadcast masters as they were sent them by mistake, like [...] and the list goes on.

Some others that I can recall include:
Bamboo Blade -- based on the absence of a bathhouse scene in ep 15.
Maze TV -- uncensored versions were apparently lost sometime between the Japanese VHS/LD releases and the R1 DVDs from CPM. Series has no JP DVD release.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space -- uses TV version, and thus doesn't have the extended version of ep 01 from the JP home video release.
Papillion Rose TV -- Maiden Japan version = TV version, although maybe the uncensored version was never fully released in Japan?
Hidamari Sketch S1 -- some eps in Sentai's DVD used broadcast versions; I'm hoping those were fixed in the BD release.

Generally US companies will notice something wrong if they're working with a fanservice-centric series and the masters they get have obvious censoring in the form of steam/light-beams/overlays on them. A lot of these "accidentally the TV version" incidents have been with series with only mild/occasional ecchi content, or where the home video version adds ecchi scenes but doesn't change anything otherwise (can't notice what isn't there), or where there isn't censorship, but the disc version has more subtle changes like animation fixes / added background details.

Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Things are already changing on the horizon, JP IP holders are starting to market to Western Audiences directly in a go around of companies like Sony. These IP holders have made it pretty clear that they do not like their works getting tampered with in any way.

Um, pretty sure Sony is a JP IP holder? And it's Japanese companies producing these censored versions for Japanese TV. It's Japanese companies sometimes sending those censored versions to Western companies for overseas releases. Companies like Funi releasing what their licensing partners give them is not "tampering" in any way, shape, or form. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if some Japanese executives wanted us to only get censored/broadcast versions on disc over here, in order to protect the more-expensive Japanese discs from reverse importation.

I know some can't let go of the edits that were done in the 90s with the likes of DBZ and Sailor Moon, but those edits ultimately served the JP rights-holders goals of making their properties more mainstream and successful in the US. (And were likely fully approved by the Japanese side for that exact purpose.) There's no way DBZ would've flourished if it never made it to TV, and only sold on 97 unedited/subtitled 3-episode VHS tapes in comic stores at the equivalent of $50 apiece in today's dollars.

razisgosu wrote:
If they claim they only received the TV edition, then it's their job to get the upgraded version.

Sometimes the Japanese side just won't yield, though. Like with the first (and maybe second?) season of Koihime Musou, Sentai received a version that was less-censored than the broadcast, but had "chibi" versions of certain scenes that were fully uncensored in the JP discs. HiDive is a pay-only subscription service, but the only version available of the 1st season of Ro-Kyu-Bu! is the broadcast version, because the Japanese side yanked back the rights for home video release and uncensored streaming.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
(Like when Funi mistakenly streamed an unfinished version of a Tamayomi episode in the midst of pandemic confusion, they accused Funi of actively redrawing the animation to make it look worse and fulfill a sinister "agenda" against cute anime girls.)
They didn't "mistakenly" stream it, they streamed what they were given. It's not unusual for multiple versions of the same episode to exist during the broadcasting period. I watched that episode of Tamayomi a few days late, and FUNimation did later end up receiving the more "finished" version of that episode and replaced the more unfinished one. These people grasp at straws to make money.
https://i.imgur.com/KhkcNyK.jpg
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2016/11/01/anime-craft-weekly-17-how-tv-anime-works-or-doesnt-work/
Zalis116 wrote:
BigOnAnime wrote:
There have been numerous incidents over the years of companies accidentally releasing the TV broadcast masters as they were sent them by mistake, like [...] and the list goes on.

Some others that I can recall include:
Bamboo Blade -- based on the absence of a bathhouse scene in ep 15.
Maze TV -- uncensored versions were apparently lost sometime between the Japanese VHS/LD releases and the R1 DVDs from CPM. Series has no JP DVD release.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space -- uses TV version, and thus doesn't have the extended version of ep 01 from the JP home video release.
Papillion Rose TV -- Maiden Japan version = TV version, although maybe the uncensored version was never fully released in Japan?
Hidamari Sketch S1 -- some eps in Sentai's DVD used broadcast versions; I'm hoping those were fixed in the BD release.
Well then, learned even more of these. Also, wasn't there one episode of Strike Witches or so that wasn't fully uncut for us? I vaguely remember hearing it from someone at a forum around 8 or so years ago. Also, here's a source for Papillon Rose using the TV version, worse yet is how that release was plagued with composite masters. Can't believe I forgot about that one.
http://web.archive.org/web/20111004202407/http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=100801
Zalis116 wrote:
razisgosu wrote:
If they claim they only received the TV edition, then it's their job to get the upgraded version.

Sometimes the Japanese side just won't yield, though. Like with the first (and maybe second?) season of Koihime Musou, Sentai received a version that was less-censored than the broadcast, but had "chibi" versions of certain scenes that were fully uncensored in the JP discs. HiDive is a pay-only subscription service, but the only version available of the 1st season of Ro-Kyu-Bu! is the broadcast version, because the Japanese side yanked back the rights for home video release and uncensored streaming.
Here's the source on this, quite the rare situation. The second season later didn't get licensed at all.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-06-27/sentai-filmworks-relinquishes-ro-kyu-bu-home-video-rights
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's not just "people" that should do so; if this release really turns out to be uncensored with the home video masters, Funimation should find a way to hold RACS accountable for what amounts to an irresponsible act of sabotage. Maybe stock of certain popular titles like AoT/MHA doesn't make its way to their store?

On the contrary, withholding releases from an anime store that's been around for over 20 years due to either a misunderstanding or Funimation backpedaling would make them such douchebags I don't think I would ever think about supporting them again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the contrary, withholding releases from an anime store that's been around for over 20 years due to either a misunderstanding or Funimation backpedaling would make them such douchebags I don't think I would ever think about supporting them again.
There was never a misunderstanding or backpedaling. RACS just literally made up the claim and didn’t provide any citation or quotation for their claim. They based their claim solely on the rating on the box.
Bisuketto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:48 pm Reply with quote
From the newsletter post, Robert's statement implies they reached out and a Funimation rep confirmed to them. Hence the report in their letter.

Quote:
Funimation confirmed for us this week that their release of Azur Lane , which they rated 14+ rather than TV-MA, will be censored

Whether this is true, we won't know until a clarifying statement is made. However, If they did indeed reach out, then whomever they talked to has some serious issues.
slau783

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I think the article needs a revision to accurately describe the situation. This part of the article is inaccurate
Quote:
The store's newsletter implied that this rating indicated that Funimation's release would be censored.

The newsletter clearly states that RACS confirmed with Funimation that the release is censored. Nothing was implied. I see no reason why RACS would lie or make that up. The ANN article makes it sound like RACS is at fault for the confusion by making assumptions. This is either a case of simple miscommunication, or Funimation trying to backpedal due to the fallout.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Another thing Funimation did was announce the dub of Masou Gakuen HxH and then they were bought by Sony and they quietly removed the release from online preorders and as far as I'm aware they never updated the community on its status. Pretty safe to say they shelved it even after posting a dubbed clip, so at least some dubbing was completed. It's just continually poor customer relations debacle after another.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
slau783 wrote:
The newsletter clearly states that RACS confirmed with Funimation that the release is censored. Nothing was implied. I see no reason why RACS would lie or make that up. The ANN article makes it sound like RACS is at fault for the confusion by making assumptions. This is either a case of simple miscommunication, or Funimation trying to backpedal due to the fallout.

Agreed. Either RACS was fed bad info by a Funimation employee, or Funimation quickly backpedaled once the news spread around and got a lot of backlash from the community and are now trying to damage control and going to change it. Hopefully the final product is indeed uncensored.

Zalis116 wrote:
It's not just "people" that should do so; if this release really turns out to be uncensored with the home video masters, Funimation should find a way to hold RACS accountable for what amounts to an irresponsible act of sabotage. Maybe stock of certain popular titles like AoT/MHA doesn't make its way to their store?

I've seen your posts in a lot of threads that are critical of licensing companies and you definitely go to bat for big companies a lot, but this is honestly a step too far. To start suggesting whistleblowers be punished via backchannel bullying and distribution meddling is downright disgusting. I can't see how anyone would view Funimation in a favorable light in that situation if they start sabotaging stores that are critical of them and trying to inform customers.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
well, its still scheduled to be released two months from now. If we suddenly see a delay, similar to ben-to, then we could probably assume this current release is censored in some way. Of course, it could easily be something else since they often push back release dates for various shows. So, I guess we just wait
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Rentwo wrote:

I've seen your posts in a lot of threads that are critical of licensing companies and you definitely go to bat for big companies a lot, but this is honestly a step too far. To start suggesting whistleblowers be punished via backchannel bullying and distribution meddling is downright disgusting. I can't see how anyone would view Funimation in a favorable light in that situation if they start sabotaging stores that are critical of them and trying to inform customers.
Is it any worse than people threatening to never buy a Funimation product again and calling them liars before they've been guilty of anything? Though I would say at best RACS should put out an apology if they're wrong.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:58 pm Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Also, wasn't there one episode of Strike Witches or so that wasn't fully uncut for us? I vaguely remember hearing it from someone at a forum around 8 or so years ago.
I'm not aware of any differences between the JP and Funi Strike Witches release, aside from Funimation not being able to use an insert song because of music rights issues.

However, there does exist a fan-edited version of Strike Witches S1 ep 07, where a fansub group took the Japanese DVD version, photoshopped out some convenient leaves and flying soap bars, and added... certain anatomical details that would've had to be mosaic-ed on any actual Japanese release. So there's probably a non-zero amount of viewers who saw the unofficial decensored edit, then saw Funi's release (or rips thereof), and accused Funimation of censorship.

CatSword wrote:
rentwo wrote:

Yes, I suppose it shouldn't come to that. Overreaction on my part. But RACS is only a "whistleblower" here if they're telling the truth about corporate wrongdoing, which it seems they are not. Funi needs to figure out who, if anyone, is giving out wrong or misleading information to retailers, and maybe RACS should've waited until they had the discs in hand before proclaiming them to be censored. It all depends on what they were told; if they only asked, "will this be TV-14 or TV-MA," got the answer "TV-14," and assumed "guess it's censored then," then that would be irresponsible, though not malicious. Plenty of fanservicey shows have had their home video versions released by Funi and others as TV-14 / 13+ in the past, as an anime retailer in business for 20 years would know.

There's no backpedaling in the face of fan backlash here; if Funi really were about to release the TV version, they couldn't simply switch it out and release it uncensored without delaying the release by a number of months.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:10 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Another thing Funimation did was announce the dub of Masou Gakuen HxH and then they were bought by Sony and they quietly removed the release from online preorders and as far as I'm aware they never updated the community on its status. Pretty safe to say they shelved it even after posting a dubbed clip, so at least some dubbing was completed. It's just continually poor customer relations debacle after another.

Sorry, but you're fishing here. Sometimes licenses get picked up and Things Happen behind the scenes which either greatly delays them or prevents them from ever coming out. This has happened many times over the years with a wide variety of companies and has nothing to do with the issues being talked about in this thread
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Richmyster84 wrote:

Sorry, but you're fishing here. Sometimes licenses get picked up and Things Happen behind the scenes which either greatly delays them or prevents them from ever coming out. This has happened many times over the years with a wide variety of companies and has nothing to do with the issues being talked about in this thread

Funi VA Meli Grant told me on Twitch that she did some background voices on the HxH dub but eventually was told was the Eng. dub was getting "shelved".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
It should be noted the upcoming Azur Lane game for the Switch is also rated Teen and not Mature yet seemingly has not caused the same controversy. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-09-22/azur-lane-crosswave-game-switch-version-heads-west-in-2021/.164336
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:43 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It should be noted the upcoming Azur Lane game for the Switch is also rated Teen and not Mature yet seemingly has not caused the same controversy. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-09-22/azur-lane-crosswave-game-switch-version-heads-west-in-2021/.164336

The game doesn’t have nudity. There’s no sources that say they spoke to a company rep and confirmed it’s censored. This comparison makes no sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6