• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actor Jonah Scott Removed from Mr Love Queen's Choice Game Following Support of Taiw

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I agree with those standing by Jonah Scott. People like him shouldn't be cancelled because they think Taiwan is a country,which it is. At least he'll go down better than John Cena did. If anyone saw his apology,I agree with those who said it looked like a hostage video. Basically,he looked like he was browbeaten into doing it. Although I kinda feel sorry for the guy,it looked and felt like it was unnecessary.
Also,something else. I wonder what dormcat thinks about all this. I know he's from Taiwan so I think it would be a good idea if someone asked him about all this.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:47 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I agree with those standing by Jonah Scott. People like him shouldn't be cancelled because they think Taiwan is a country,which it is. At least he'll go down better than John Cena did. If anyone saw his apology,I agree with those who said it looked like a hostage video. Basically,he looked like he was browbeaten into doing it. Although I kinda feel sorry for the guy,it looked and felt like it was unnecessary..

Unless the article missed something, Scott did apologize. It was the other VAs who quit in protest when he didn't get his job back.

And let's be honest, most people would probably do the same if they had a multi-million dollar check on the line like John Cena did. It's easy to say this stuff when you have zero financial investment or risk. If people here were told "I'll give you 5 million dollars and all you have to do is not call Taiwan a country" I bet most people would do it.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
Anoud wrote:
Madness Confused
That's China for you.

Quote:
Throughout 2018, China stepped up pressure on international companies, forcing them to list Taiwan as a part of China on their websites and threatening to block them for doing business in China if they failed to comply.
Source

Jesus, this is a reminder of how terrifying the China government is and how Gestapo-like their tactics can be when it comes to policing their citizens or reinforcing their warped worldview. I feel so hard for the Chinese people who have to live under this regime.

"Jonah stated a fact and lost a job over it." Well said.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Honestly awful situation all around. Jonah lost his job for simply stating a fact, but Paper Games are essentially forced to do so, regardless of their own stance. It's moving to see the solidarity between the voice actors though. They were all fantastic in their roles and it's sad that MLQC has to get caught up in the middle of all this, because I really think Paper Games' work is special, but issues like this are definitely more important.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
Welp, now that we have Cencilia and soon Alice Closet in English, guess it's finally time for me to uninstall Love Nikki. Even though I never spent a dime on it.

well this is how I found out about Alice Closet. I'm hype
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of surprised that they are keeping the global server running considering what happened with Shining Nikki Korea. I guess it's because this server's been running longer than (I think it was) 9 days. The initially had sounded like they were going to replace him but with the others gone I wonder if they are going to switch to the cn voices or remove the english lines altogether and just leave it instrumental like how over half of Love Nikki is because they haven't got to dubbing it yet
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that they are keeping the global server running considering what happened with Shining Nikki Korea. I guess it's because this server's been running longer than (I think it was) 9 days. The initially had sounded like they were going to replace him but with the others gone I wonder if they are going to switch to the cn voices or remove the english lines altogether and just leave it instrumental like how over half of Love Nikki is because they haven't got to dubbing it yet

The 2 year anniversary was a couple months ago! With regards to the voices, there is the option for the Japanese dub although it’s not quite caught up to where the game is in English from what I understand. Just before you log in, however, there is a note that says new voice material will be added in the future. We’ll just have to wait and see what that actually means, though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I had enjoyed all three of them previously as VAs, but now I have a newfound respect for them as people and look forward to seeing their work and supporting it in the future. (Also, being a game, I mostly know Sean Chiplock from Rean Schwarzer in Trails of Cold Steel, Revali in Breath of the Wild, or just from him streaming himself playing games on Twitch regularly).

As for things I will not be supporting any time in the future: mobile games and other games from countries who's governments believe that independent countries belong to them and who seem to have control over things like foreign VAs being in said games overseas.
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:17 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
At least we know the answer of "How did people in the 1930s let things get as bad as they did?"

Weird that someone with a username that looks a lot like a Nazi general and clean Wehrmacht apologist says this.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:34 am Reply with quote
Honestly, at this point, when it's become abundantly clear that Papergames' isn't reversing their stance, if I was in his shoes, I'd probably either remove my apology or add onto it with, "OK, but for real, Taiwan is a country, and that's just a fact."

But then again, I'm Taiwanese, so I probably wouldn't even be hired for these things anyway.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'm definitely gonna uninstall the game now. I've had it on my phone for a while trying to decide whether I wanted to get into it or not but this is the deciding factor for me not to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4