• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'll cut you if you touch my anime collection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:
I think part of the reactions are a bit over reactionary to be honest. I mean it's not as if that isn't something that a lot of people at cons and anime clubs and such say on a daily basis.

I mean there are those of us who want nothing to do with that particular scene. I generally keep my fandom tightly under wraps precisely because there are far too many anime fans out there who engage in cringeworthy behavior, and I don't want to be painted with that same brush. I have a couple of series T-shirts I've picked up from boxsets and such over the years, ones that definitely skew much more subtle than these, and even then I almost never wear them when I'm out in public.

Regarding the other designs, while they're not quite as bad as the first one, they're still far too loud for my tastes. Honestly a shirt/hoodie with just the ANN logo on the front and nothing (or at least small text) on the back would be much more up my alley. I'd actually own much more anime gear if there was more of it like that. I mean, a nice golf shirt with a little Straw Hat logo, something that isn't even apparent as anime unless you know what you're looking at? I'd totally rock that.
CheerSong

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
But I don't expect to license any characters that aren't ours anytime soon (or ever).

100% don't blame you - it's often more hassle than it's worth!

Tempest wrote:
I would love to make a shirt that is both RetroWave and very obviously anime. We referenced things that fit the RetroWave concept, and were a part of anime fandom, but in the next RetroWave design, I want it to have a distinct anime feel to it.

Yes yes yes! Sign me up!! Happy to hear we may be on the same wavelength here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4