• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Night Head 2041 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:57 pm Reply with quote

End-game progressing at a fast pace. There's still time for one more curveball to be thrown at the audience: the source of the EMP. Initially I thought the EMP was a side-effect of Naoto using his powers for the first time, turns out it wasn't the case. If it was the work of the autonomous region, it was most likely done with foreknowledge that Miracle Mick would be brought to the cafe where the brothers would meet for the first time. That was the chance meeting that started the connection, but did Misaki, Mikuriya or Shouko plan that?

Having Kimie as an ally really makes covert operations easy. No surprise she was used as an infiltrator of shady cults previously: her ability to make people see things the way she wants them to is extremely dangerous. The plan to get the Russians to do the SWE's dirty work would have succeeded as well, but it looks like the two connected brothers are looking for their own solution and are quite willing to risk everything to succeed.

Naoto didn't quite succeed in fending off the air strike, so it remains to be seen how decisive that one missile strike will be next week. Shouko's motivations throughout all this remain a mystery since she's never said anything explicit to those who've had to deal with her, but it looks like she's done the same trick she's done in previous episodes for an entire facility, the people within it and a few airborne antagonists. I'm almost sure she's responsible for the teleporting missile as well, if the SWE analyst conclusion is anything to go by.

The director's early comment about losing two psychics might refer to Akiyama Yui, but that would be a contradiction since he was surprised when she admitted she could see glimpses of the future. If it isn't her, perhaps Misaki used to be under the Japanese government's employ before disappearing into Russia?

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
I can only hope that Shouko volunteered to be kept in a high tech coffin for years on end.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote

No more help from Shouko, so the pairs have to figure out the solution themselves. The series emphasises the importance of "roles" heavily throughout, but it's really infuriating for the protagonists when they have no idea what theirs entails and how to go about it. Everything revolves around them, but we're still no closer to finding out why they're linked if the scene involving the Kuroki's parents isn't real.

Although the chief says he's not an applicable target for powers, it appears this only applies to direct attacks. He's been a victim twice of indirect uses of power (one involving the helicopter crash a few episodes back and the second one during the teleportation). If the two elder brothers figure it out, he's not going to last long.

Now that Shouko is out of the picture, the only other person who could assist with the prevention of world destruction is Kimie with the prophet's gear. She's been quiet all this time and has mostly gone along with the chief's instructions, but she's not a robot and has shown sympathy with Yuuya in this series. She might well have a hand in whatever airtime remains.

Next week's the last episode, so despite how rushes everything has been for the last two to three episodes I'm hoping the ending isn't a complete mess.

Edit: A bunch of episode numbers fixed. Jumped one a month ago and no one really noticed until now. Surprised people actually read my posts only to focus on the wrong episode numbering rather than the episode itself.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Where are you getting the episode numbers from? Crunchyroll says that it is only episode 11.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:01 pm Reply with quote
#12 End

I need to rewatch this episode again. Although all of the loose ends are tied up in some form or another, the underlying disappearance of the Kirihara brothers is not easily understood at first glance. If I can get my head around on what happened after they disappeared from the safe zone, the rest should fall into place.

I guessed Kimie would have a role to play in the final episode, but not in the way that it panned out. It was made clear the section chief's powers had limits to them, but the way he made his exit felt forced.

Another glaring plot hole would be the safe zone where the Kuroki brothers ended up after the singularity disappeared. A few weeks ago the safe zone was shown to have disappeared when Futami Shouko and her support system expired, so having the car and the ruins felt out of place.

I'm not sure if it was the series compression or poor writing which is at fault, but it's not explained how the Kirihara brothers made the time travel when their stay in the Kuroki's world ended. Nevertheless they finally played the role which led to the present, although somehow the truth of this was heavily obscured when Naoya tried to find out.

All in all, there are some themes to this series which are interesting if explored further. Unfortunately the plot compression from two seasons to one might have a hand in why some aspects felt hard to understand or out of place. The titular pairings and their relationship are the central framing, but it's only in the second half of the season that viewers might warm to the Kuroki brothers after their actions in the first half.

The action sequences would be the main draw for this series at the outset, which I thought was competently executed and good entertainment value. There are series out there which easily outdo the action set pieces this franchise had to offer, but I've seen worse and didn't find the choice of animation a poor one.

I doubt there's going to be a sequel, since the vibe this gives out is a stand-alone work derived from a very old franchise which the vast majority of the audience outside of Japan would not have heard of even before the preceding Genesis production was aired years ago. Not sure if the writing expanded in full would have done a better job at telling the story, but it's been entertaining and something to tide over what has for me been an absolutely uninteresting quarter.
ACxS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Final episode.

I'll give this show a 6.5.

I enjoy the action sequences and stuff, especially when the CGI is very fluid and polished. It doesn't have the stop motion-like movement that irritates me in most other CGI-laden shows, but for this one it's done amazingly well.

The only part I don't quite like is the convoluted storyline. Parallel universes are fine; they're becoming a dime a dozen these days. But it's the mechanics, the show trying to make sense of how the parallel universes work, that is (ironically) confusing. And everything wrapped up with the Kirihara Brothers... simply going back to their world? Seems awfully simple of a solution when minutes ago, everyone was terrified by reality annihilation. It just doesn't bode well with me.

That's why I didn't discuss much on the thread for this show: it's just hard for me to comment because, rather than trying to make sense of what's happening, I ended up sitting back and just watching the show for what it's worth. Not bad... but not that good, either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
I am still trying to understand the larger point of the show. I was pretty sure an earlier episode said that they were sent to that world, to bring people to the other parallel world, preparing them somehow. But then the sets of brothers are something like alternate versions of each other or something, and will destroy both worlds, so the white haired brothers have to go back to their world anyway, which is what they actually wanted, but the show was treating it like a disaster. And then the brothers must have went back in time and made to make sure the cop brothers' parents survived, but also paradoxically this was what caused a lot of the conflict between both sets, and led to what happening. Also, why did the younger brothers think they needed to combine, when the show then says it is the exact opposite of what to do?

I don't really think I got most of the plot in the show, and really only succeeded at making me like one half of the main characters (the white haired brothers). The show looked alright, the CGI maybe even pretty good over some examples, but also in the scheme of things, it really didn't grab my attention too much. I was honestly more into D_Cide. I will give it a rating of Decent (6/10), but really mostly just for some nice looking CGI, just that making it not feel like a waste of time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
To me, this show got off to a strong start and then unfortunately frittered its potential away. I suspect that Harleyquin's observation that this was originally conceived as a 2-cours show that got sliced down to a single cours has something to do with that.

I have all the same questions you have, DP. I never did finish Night Head Genesis so it will be interesting to go back and see what they did there. It's not a great show but I kinda dug it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4