• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action One Piece Series Reveals Cast Members

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 am Reply with quote
Troll post removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Which makes me think people don't really know what they want from live action anime remakes.

People do know what they want from these remakes: to be respectful to the source material. That ranges from getting the casting as accurate as posible (not asking for Usopp's actor to have his cartoon nose, Nami's to actually have giant breasts, or Sanji's to have his curvy eyebrows, but still), to follow the story, not to the letter, but at least without doing too much artistic license and trying to work out the weirdness that made us love the source material. That's why The Umbrella Academy and the Locke & Key shows on Netflix are so subpar compared to the comic books they're based on, and the Jupiter's Legacy TV show and the live action Death Note bombed so horribly.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:31 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Exactly. Why adapt One Piece, the most outlandish and cartoony world in manga/anime, when they could go for something like Gunsmith Cats or Baccano?

Probably because it has mainstream approval or interest. Much as I love Gunsmith Cats and Kenichi Sonoda, One Piece is much more popular for the masses.
ralphyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:32 am Reply with quote
Guys, I'm scared. Hold me. Sad
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I dont know why they keep going after these difficult to adapt properties. Black Lagoon is RIGHT there begging for a holywood adaptation. I think hollywood could succesfully adapt anime and manga, they just need to choose things thats in their wheelhouse

Exactly how I feel. One Piece always felt like such a difficult anime to adapt to live action for multiple reasons, even if it was under the best circumstances and creative team. There are a bunch of other properties out there that I could see translating well into live-action, and that's not even just limited to easy go-to picks that are super realistic and grounded or those that would allow for more western-centric or global casting right off the bat.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:53 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:

Exactly how I feel. One Piece always felt like such a difficult anime to adapt to live action for multiple reasons, even if it was under the best circumstances and creative team. There are a bunch of other properties out there that I could see translating well into live-action, and that's not even just limited to easy go-to picks that are super realistic and grounded or those that would allow for more western-centric or global casting right off the bat.

The argument people use is that there is not enough of a fanbase for BL or Baccano. However, by that logic, John Wick, pre MCU marvel, and other series that don't have the biggest fanbases would bomb. Personally, Baccano or BL sre pretty cheap series.(baccano could easily be a lower cost Netflix or HBO like show. The biggest worry would be the writing.) I feel your could market the series or movie solely on some type of star power or great direction that would sell it better than focusing on it being the adaption of an anime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:

People do know what they want from these remakes: to be respectful to the source material. That ranges from getting the casting as accurate as posible (not asking for Usopp's actor to have his cartoon nose, Nami's to actually have giant breasts, or Sanji's to have his curvy eyebrows, but still), to follow the story, not to the letter, but at least without doing too much artistic license and trying to work out the weirdness that made us love the source material. That's why The Umbrella Academy and the Locke & Key shows on Netflix are so subpar compared to the comic books they're based on, and the Jupiter's Legacy TV show and the live action Death Note bombed so horribly.
But what does it mean to be "respectful to the source material" when every fan has their own interpretation of the series and their own individual expectations of what it should look like? And we literally just have the casting and not even any costumes or set props or anything. They're not going to look exactly like this in the actual filming when they have costumes and make up on.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:05 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

But what does it mean to be "respectful to the source material" when every fan has their own interpretation of the series and their own individual expectations of what it should look like? And we literally just have the casting and not even any costumes or set props or anything. They're not going to look exactly like this in the actual filming when they have costumes and make up on.

Exactly my point. We just got the cast, and all of sudden it's a harbinger for things to come without even seeing the costumes or anything? It honestly sounds like a quadruple knee-jerk reaction and use every excuse in the book of why we should be pessimistic.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:25 am Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:

The argument people use is that there is not enough of a fanbase for BL or Baccano. However, by that logic, John Wick, pre MCU marvel, and other series that don't have the biggest fanbases would bomb. Personally, Baccano or BL sre pretty cheap series.(baccano could easily be a lower cost Netflix or HBO like show. The biggest worry would be the writing.) I feel your could market the series or movie solely on some type of star power or great direction that would sell it better than focusing on it being the adaption of an anime.
I think the advantage of something like a Black Lagoon or a Baccono is in the fact that they don't have the massive fanbase. I think those in the know would check it out since they seem like they could feasibly be adapted, and those who aren't in the know would see it as a cool action TV show. Baccono would probably be a bit harder since it would be a period piece but Black Lagoon should be relatively cheaper to make. The smaller fan base also means you wouldn't see what we see happening with Cowboy Beebop and One Piece with every aspect being scrutinized due to their big names.

Honestly, Black Lagoon was kind of already done in the 90s so the formula is sort of out there

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_in_Paradise

Just make it less cheesy, gather a good ensemble cast and more R rated and they can get it to work.

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Exactly my point. We just got the cast, and all of sudden it's a harbinger for things to come without even seeing the costumes or anything? It honestly sounds like a quadruple knee-jerk reaction and use every excuse in the book of why we should be pessimistic.
You see these reactions because there's a history of poor live action anime adaptations. While past performance isn't always indicative of future success (especially since there are multiple studios involved), it's Netflix's job to convince the consumer that this will be worth their time. It's going to be an uphill battle precisely because we all know what once piece is. One Piece has a goofy look to it and it's hard to imagine how they will portray that with live action actors. Honestly I think this is going to be a way harder sell than cowboy bebop.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:40 am Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Not with that kind of attitude. Y'all should stop being so miserable all the time.

The casting looks horrible (except for mayyyyyyyyyybe Mackenyu), and we all know Netflix's track record with their horrible live-action adapts. We have a right to complain.

Stop being such a negative Nancy. The casting is alright.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:44 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
You see these reactions because there's a history of poor live action anime adaptations. While past performance isn't always indicative of future success (especially since there are multiple studios involved), it's Netflix's job to convince the consumer that this will be worth their time. It's going to be an uphill battle precisely because we all know what once piece is. One Piece has a goofy look to it and it's hard to imagine how they will portray that with live action actors. Honestly I think this is going to be a way harder sell than cowboy bebop.
We've already had Alita and Edge of Tomorrow which were well liked by both fans and critics. How many more live action adaptations have to come out before fans stop nitpicking over just cast announcements? It'd be like complaining about the cast of every comic book movie that comes out just because of Superman IV or Batman and Robin.
09jcg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:02 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
09jcg wrote:
We've already had Alita and Edge of Tomorrow which were well liked by both fans and critics. How many more live action adaptations have to come out before fans stop nitpicking over just cast announcements? It'd be like complaining about the cast of every comic book movie that comes out just because of Superman IV or Batman and Robin.
Well, its funny you should mention that. I remember that era well. Super hero movies were considered absolute dog shit for over a decade, even though you had the occasional success like Blade. It took a long string of X-Men, Spiderman, and then Iron Man before people finally started to almost believe. Skepticism was high for Captain America and Thor at the time prior to release. I would say it took the first Avengers film (along with the dark knight trilogy) to finally give people hope with comic movies

So yeah, you need more than Alita and Edge of Tomorrow.

Even then, only Marvel movies really get the benefit of the doubt cause they have an earned, proven track record that spans over 30 films. The DCU live action universe is in shambles. Why? Cause a few good movies doesn't erase a lot of the drama and stink behind the failures.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:34 am Reply with quote
I have seen worse casting and Zorro is about as well cast as you could do. This is the hardest manga to live-action adaptation one could do. You either get something respectable out of this or a Cats-like trainwreck. Not too much in between though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:39 am Reply with quote
My biggest fear was who will play the perfection that is Nami and now I know the answer. The only one who looks good at first glance is Mackenyu as Zoro. I look at Taz as Sanji and all I hear in my head is "You better lose yourself in the kitchen, the cooking, you own it, you better never let the all blue go"
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:43 am Reply with quote
To contrast this with the live action Cowboy Bebop adaptation. While both titles have been rumours for a decade or more(I can still remember when Keanu Reeves was supposed to play Spike), CB was always a title whose live action version you could envision happening, regardless of how well it may or may not have been. OP was more of a joke idea, something that was shortlisted for live action before it was decided that it was a silly idea.

It's a shame that other titles brought here haven't been picked instead, some would work great as period pieces and revisit styles of Movies that you don't get anymore. Gunsmith Cats would work great as a sort of 70s throwback, done in the style of The French Connection and Bullitt. Banana Fish is set in the 80s, so it could ride out the 80s Nostalgia phase before it ends. Black Lagoon would work great as a 90s action Movie, the type Nicolas Cage would have done. Baccano! could work as a mash up of Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola with elements of Sergio Leone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7