• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2022 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Lioncourt

Wonder what the purpose of Lioncourt is. Is it ultimately a redemption story? Right now it sounds like we should be rooting for a farmer to put a pitchfork in his back.

The web novel's title (with some amateur localization) translates to Tadashi Tanaka (41) Founds a Country: "Middle Ages Europe was way rough, yo!" I might be giving the author too much credit, but as far as I was able to tolerate it, it reads like a satire of "classic" masculinity as depicted in other "edgy" isekai. With the manga adaptation, the satirical elements are altered or played 100% straight. (So, kind of a reverse of Starship Troopers, where a serious propaganda piece was given a satirical movie adaptation.)

Basically, the "ahaha, what the actual f*ck" tone of the narration as spoiler[a trio of 10-year-olds goes out and rapes a bunch of women and then sells them as slaves, like it's just another after-school hangout], and so on, is removed in favor of a dark descent into true manliness. There may be some kind of "redemption" later, but you'll have to be able to put up with a lot. Miura would never.
Twage

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Just hopping in to assure Rebecca that the Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran songs are 100% in the original Japanese edition of Wandance, and not localized. I'm so happy everyone loved this series as much as I do.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Twage wrote:
Just hopping in to assure Rebecca that the Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran songs are 100% in the original Japanese edition of Wandance, and not localized. I'm so happy everyone loved this series as much as I do.

Thank you! It was really bugging me for no good reason. I can't wait to read more!
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess they do not even wish to bother admitting Land of Leadale had a recent release with volume 4.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
I guess they do not even wish to bother admitting Land of Leadale had a recent release with volume 4.

Well, as you said, it's the 4th volume. This guide is for manga premiers(see the volume 1 label on almost all of them)...
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Moonsaber wrote:

Well, as you said, it's the 4th volume. This guide is for manga premiers(see the volume 1 label on almost all of them)...

I missed where it said new, sorry about that!

I guess this is only for new 1st volume releases only.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
There will be a full length review for Land of Leadale manga volumes 3-4 going up this week. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
There will be a full length review for Land of Leadale manga volumes 3-4 going up this week. Smile

Ah, that is good, then I can wait till then. The plants and trees are the stars in volume 4.

Wait a minute, volume 1 of the Land of Leadale manga came out today. You must have meant volume 3 and 4 of the light novel.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh my bad, I mixed up titles in my mind. I meant volumes 3-4 of Frieren: Beyond Journey's End. Ignore me, haha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:53 am Reply with quote
Does My Brain Is Different explain which medications for ADHD are available in Japan? I have heard people warning Americans with ADHD that some meds are forbidden in Japan, and to take that into account if they plan to visit or study there.

Princess_Irene wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
You are seen! I'm demi myself, but I don't like talking about it because I don't like having to explain (over and over) how that works alongside being a monosexual gay (or opening the floor to questions of how I can prove I'm not "really" bisexual).

Thank you. I've gone through about fourteen different responses to your post in my head, but really, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I rarely talk about it because so few people understand that it becomes exhausting, and your comment really means a lot to me.

Thank you, Rebecca, for being open about this aspect of your identity. I am heartened to see more ace representation in media and individuals speaking more openly about an experience that is hard to explain and often misunderstood, sometimes even by those of us experiencing it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 6:02 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Does My Brain Is Different explain which medications for ADHD are available in Japan? I have heard people warning Americans with ADHD that some meds are forbidden in Japan, and to take that into account if they plan to visit or study there.

Not a discussion, per se, but each chapter opens with a little information about each person, and if they take medication, the name is mentioned.

Quote:
Thank you, Rebecca, for being open about this aspect of your identity. I am heartened to see more ace representation in media and individuals speaking more openly about an experience that is hard to explain and often misunderstood, sometimes even by those of us experiencing it.

Thank you. Your words really mean a lot to me, and just typing that doesn't feel like enough to truly convey how much I mean that.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

It doesn't mention it explicitly, but you can read between the lines when all but one person with ADHD takes Strattera, which is relatively unpopular in the US.

And if you're wondering, Strattera and Concerta are the only two legal treatments, and Concerta is really only used if Strattera doesn't work.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this manga round-up. It never fails to introduce me to new series that I then become an avid reader of, especially when a series gets a strong recommendation from all the reviewers, as A galaxy next door received (deservedly so).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4