• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action One Piece Series' 1st Trailer Unveils August 31 Netflix Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:31 am Reply with quote
I looks like some professional cosplayers got a hollywood budget to make a TV show. Some parts look good and others look out of place and strange.

Luffy's characterization is just terrible (from the trailer), I can only assume it was done to make him more appealing to a broader audience.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:00 am Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
That Buggy is gonna be my sleep paralysis demon.

Thank you for warning us. I'll just skip this trailer. The whole point of facing your fears is seeing it through hence skipping the trailer.

Either way, it could always be worse.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:12 am Reply with quote
Johan Eriksson 9003 wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:

Why do people act like that kind of dialogue only exists in the MCU? So random.

Because a lot of people think they are film-experts even though they only watch what is currently trending and therefore center their entire outlook on media around that trend, whether good or bad. It is basically that tumblr-meme in action.

So we're all just ignoring that it has a literal MCU writer attached, then?
Quote:
Matt Owens (Luke Cage, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) is the show's writer.

Just, y'know, to keep things honest.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:17 am Reply with quote
They forgot to put in colors.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:51 am Reply with quote
I don’t hate it. It certainly looks better than Bebop did. They did seem to up Luffy’s emotional maturity from six to eleven and the accent is actually an interesting touch, but there are no immediate “Oh no, CRINGE!” red flags like Bebop had.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:05 am Reply with quote
So I watched it again and went through it slower and 2 things stood out to me. First off the CGI for Luffy’s attacks is actually shown twice. In addition to the one we see at the end of him punching Alvida it’s also shown beforehand in the snippet of the fight we get from 1.00 to 1.03 in the trailer, and that looks way better than the later one does. It goes by in around a second and I think it works way better and emulates how rubber works in real life. So I'm hoping that they'll use it like that more often than how we see it in the last part of the trailer. The second thing I noticed also has to do with that action sequence. It’s Luffy, Nami, and Zoro fighting Marines in a courtyard and it looks to be the same one that Zoro was being tied up in. If I’m right about that it looks like Nami is being introduced earlier, so she’s going to play a part in that arc, which would be interesting to see.
Slips Python

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
Johan Eriksson 9003 wrote:
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:

Why do people act like that kind of dialogue only exists in the MCU? So random.

Because a lot of people think they are film-experts even though they only watch what is currently trending and therefore center their entire outlook on media around that trend, whether good or bad. It is basically that tumblr-meme in action.

"This gives me major Hunger Games vibes."
-Person who has only ever read The Hunger-Games.

Self-aware dialogue or lampshading has been a staple of action movies since the 90's. Only someone who never watches anything but popular movies from the last 15 years or so thinks Marvel in any way created or popularized that trend.

As for the trailer: I am a bit pleasantly surprised by how not-awful it looks, but I am not particularly impressed.

I think the only one trying to act like a film expert here is you. Not all self-referential humor is the same. None of the stuff found in Duckman, Freakazoid, or Animaniacs could be comparable to this modern style of humor. Unless by 90s you specifically mean Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other Joss Whedon projects, who was a big contributor to the MCU which is why they're so similar, then this kind of humor was pretty absent from most works in the 90s and 00s. The Batman Begins trilogy and the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy didn't have it, despite being the two big super hero trilogies of that era. Daria certainly didn't talk like that, despite being dripped in heavy sarcastic and dry wit. Michael Bay's Transformers didn't have it, despite all it's other crude and crass humor. Heck, early 2000s crude teen movie humor is an entire thing on it's own.

Now, one could argue that humor evolves over time and this is just how it is now, like how cheesy 90s sitcom humor from Full House, Home Improvement, and Family Matters is different from modern sitcom zingers like Modern Family, or the cringy mid-2000s Disney Channel/Nickelodeon style kid sitcom humor like iCarly, Suite Life of Zack and Cody, and all those shows. After all, it's only natural things and the way people talk change over time with the rise of internet meme culture, Reddit, Rick and Morty, and yes, Marvel movies certainly help shape what gets defined as humor and trendy and people on social media these days.

I remember seeing images of the Workaholics writer's room where they had a huge whiteboard of a bunch of stock quips and phrases they banned themselves from ever using because of how over-done and stereotypical they are and it had all the usuals of "Uh, so THAT just happened" that things like Forspoken was panned for. It's not fallacious at all to talk about how the MCU shaped and defined modern cinema, for better or worse. It seems pretty dishonest to deny it's influence on westen media as a whole when we're still seeing other companies milk it's style and trends in 2023. And yeah, actual writers who also wrote for MCU projects are writing this show. It's a pretty apt comparison in this case.

And all that is just to say, yeah Luffy, Zoro, and Nami should not really be quipping like the Avengers and I wasn't a fan of the dialog *shrug* Luffy seems really out of place making snarky one liners like "Sooo... I'm sending a bit of hostility here...."

Last edited by Slips Python on Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
So we're all just ignoring that it has a literal MCU writer attached, then?
Quote:
Matt Owens (Luke Cage, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) is the show's writer.

Just, y'know, to keep things honest.

Is this a serious attempt at a "gotcha?" The MCU has been going since 2008, has 32 films and about 20 tv series. It's harder to find a writer who hasn't worked on the MCU at this point.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:49 am Reply with quote
Slips Python wrote:
I think the only one trying to act like a film expert here is you. Not all self-referential humor is the same. None of the stuff found in Duckman, Freakazoid, or Animaniacs could be comparable to this modern style of humor. Unless by 90s you specifically mean Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other Joss Whedon projects, who was a big contributor to the MCU which is why they're so similar, then this kind of humor was pretty absent from most works in the 90s and 00s. The Batman Begins trilogy and the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy didn't have it, despite being the two big super hero trilogies of that era. Daria certainly didn't talk like that, despite being dripped in heavy sarcastic and dry wit. Michael Bay's Transformers didn't have it, despite all it's other crude and crass humor. Heck, early 2000s crude teen movie humor is an entire thing on it's own.
A common argument I see when people are defending the MCU is, this happened before the MCU or highly acclaimed classic is the same as the MCU. Arguments that are only sound on a surface level.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:58 am Reply with quote
Owens did Luke Cage, which is MCU-adjacent like all of the Netflix shows were. It’s not like he did Love and Thunder at which point I would share concerns.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:59 am Reply with quote
Rowri88 wrote:
I just never understood the obsession with the West adapting anime to live-action, it always feels off and Hollywood-Americanized. Maybe that's just me

Because Asia has never adapted things from one medium into live action.

Both good and bad.

Glordit wrote:

Luffy's characterization is just terrible (from the trailer), I can only assume it was done to make him more appealing to a broader audience.

To be fair the idiot hero trope is one of the most overdone and divisive character tropes out there. The irony here being as overdone as this is in western media especially cartoons this trait exists in One Piece which isn’t western.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:05 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Slips Python wrote:
A common argument I see when people are defending the MCU is, this happened before the MCU or highly acclaimed classic is the same as the MCU. Arguments that are only sound on a surface level.

It's just an observation for anyone who watches films regularly. Not some defense of the MCU because it is just buddy cop dialogue in other film genres which has been around for so long.

Sure it can get tiring to see when the MCU really kinda pushed this appeal in mainstream movies, but I also feel based on this trailer it's a little overblown for one or two lines out of this whole thing. And I don't see the big deal when One Piece is overall a very goofy series so do they want it to instead take itself uber seriously?

I really don't care much for One Piece to begin with so I'm pretty indifferent to this show. Maybe curiosity might get me to watch it someday, but it's pretty whatever to me and does look at least like they're trying to capture the spirit of the series.

My overall takeaway is that it looks very cartoony, and that's what One Piece should be. Sometimes just let cartoon characters be cartoon characters even if they're real people.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know this was only gonna be 8 episodes. Damn they are just gonna be flying through the plot, huh?

Anyway, I'm not a fan of any animation-to-live action project but I guess this thing looks as good as it was ever gonna, all things considered. Frankly I'm just glad they decided to keep everybody human instead of doing some bizarre CGI and/or prosthetics to make people look more like living anime characters. Like the minute they announced it I had a vision of an actor with a ridiculous fake Usopp nose and thought "oh nooooo" but I see we dodged that bullet. I do wonder as things move forward (if this does get renewed or get more episodes, etc) how they'll do more some of Oda's more wild designs like Franky for example.
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:31 pm Reply with quote
"I'm sensing a little tension among the crew"

Since when has Luffy ever been that aware? He's never been one to pay any attention to arguments among the crew, he would sit there laughing while commenting how lively his crew is.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Owens did Luke Cage, which is MCU-adjacent like all of the Netflix shows were. It’s not like he did Love and Thunder at which point I would share concerns.
Meanwhile, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., while not really a tonal match for One Piece, was at least structured a lot like One Piece. Each arc brought the core cast to a new location, brought in a new secondary cast, and had a bunch of threads that all went largely independently before converging in the big climactic confrontation (almost never a knock-down, drag-out fight, but the basic principle is the same). Assuming this ever gets past Romance Dawn, that could be good experience to have on board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6