• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Happy Marriage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I liked the way Mio made it clear that she is devoted to Kudo to the point of not wanting to accept the confession. It is both a reflection of saving the honor of the man who she once liked (but seemingly not loved) and a proper rejection to give him a resolution. Saying in inference that the time of his potential love is past and no longer even on Mio's radar.

It seems that the show is being increasingly heavy handed in its hints about potential Issues with the Usaba females.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:32 am Reply with quote
So if Miyo's father kept to the original bargain, everything would have been OK for all except Miyo... I don't want to suggest the man got mind controlled by a tree stump but nothing else fits; Someone wanted Miyo away from the Saimori's grasp...

OK, fine. A tree stump or Miyo herself. Most likely both seeing Miyo resonated with the stump.

Hazuki went to finishing school; Wait, I need to correct that.
Hazuki went to finishing school? Are you sure, Kiyoka, and not that she was sent out of the country for a certain amount of time for undisclosed reasons?
First thing casting doubt in my mind, she's divorced. Isn't that the antithesis state for women who successfully complete finishing school?

Co-ed flapper getting divorced, now that I would believe.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:36 pm Reply with quote
She presents the divorce as a negative (or was it Kiyokoa who said about the divorce). Either way they say she is a model lady except for the failed marriage.

As for the marriage proposal, it is very believable that they did not want to give away their only powerful successor especially to someone rumoured to be cruel. I will wait and see if it wants to go further in regards to twisting of fates. So far we have only seen hints on the life that Usaba women might live and vivid dreams of disturbing natures.

I certainly hope you are not bringing future think into such overly different to presented theories. (The use of future knowledge to tell people how they should think about a scenario).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:52 am Reply with quote
While there was much I liked about this episode, Miyo's quest to become the perfect lady and helpmeet was not one of them. I guess it's period accurate but that doesn't mean I enjoy seeing it, especially since she's just starting to assert herself as a full person. I suppose it will at least give her more self-confidence in public.

I also thought the whole bit about the engagement "ritual" was handled clumsily. It seemed to be wedged in there for drama (oh noes, will Daddy accept her or be another roadblock??) and to reveal that Kiyoka doesn't get along with his father, but then just fizzled out with no meeting and simply signing a document. Meh.

I'm not sure what the hooded cultists were trying to accomplish. They seemed to be trying to release the seal and awaken some entity, but then when they released the seal and awakened the entity they acted like that wasn't what they intended at all. Like, if you don't want to awaken entities, don't pound on drums while they're trying to sleep, yeah?
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:15 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure what the hooded cultists were trying to accomplish. They seemed to be trying to release the seal and awaken some entity, but then when they released the seal and awakened the entity they acted like that wasn't what they intended at all. Like, if you don't want to awaken entities, don't pound on drums while they're trying to sleep, yeah?

I think those where the protectors. The barrier is burnt, then they lose control. Assuming outside forces from the blonde guy broke the barrier and destabilised the seal. I admit that the way it is presented is confusing a bit.

What gets me about that scene is the way we where talked to in the first arc indicated that Yokai where basically extinct and unseen by these shaman policemen. But now they have whole squads of people containing bad creatures?
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know I needed to see Miyo in a dress and ponytail so badly until now. I'm surprised she didn't seem to struggle with heels.

Poor girl is trying so hard despite the fact that she's still traumatized just over the word "big sister" and can't quite grasp what it means to have a family. She just wants to do her best for Kiyoka's sake even when she's barely getting any sleep because of the nightmares.

Akira Ishida as a Japanese prince! I wonder if he has history with Kiyoka.

The Grotesqueries live up to their name.

It's funny how not so long ago Ryohei Kimura was voicing the male lead of a Shojo romance and now he's voicing the sinister rival character.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:10 pm Reply with quote
about the talk between Ookaito and Kazushi, was that anime-original content or included in the manga adaptation? I don't recall reading that scene in the novel
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:21 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Akira Ishida as a Japanese prince! I wonder if he has history with Kiyoka.

My first thought upon seeing him was that he looks an awful lot like Miyo (more like her mother). So maybe it's her he's got history with?

I think that while it's clear Arata is up to no good, as far as Miyo/Kiyoka ship goes, I feel a little better about him since he seems to want to protect her rather than simply acquire her and/or use her. But I guess that will depend on his idea of what "protect" means, huh.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
My first thought upon seeing him was that he looks an awful lot like Miyo (more like her mother). So maybe it's her he's got history with?

I think that while it's clear Arata is up to no good, as far as Miyo/Kiyoka ship goes, I feel a little better about him since he seems to want to protect her rather than simply acquire her and/or use her. But I guess that will depend on his idea of what "protect" means, huh.

If the Usubas are living under assumed names and the Emperor has an interest in the last known Usuba, it's pretty easy to guess who the Usubas are these days.

Also, this plot is ripped directly from Best Student Council; "If you don't have super powers, you have to relinquish your name and station. If you do have super powers... you'll be even worse off." It's odd that Miyo's mother kept the name, TRADED on the name, if it the core family is on the throne.

But if Miyo has Usuba powers, it's a given her family will be back to take her.

Quote:
This second storyline in My Happy Marriage is, in a sense, our reminder that there's life after “and they lived happily ever after.”

The pair moved up to engaged, not married. At best, it just means they have more to lose.

It ain't over until the groom kisses the bride.
Cryten

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Miyo being self sacrificial still being her primary personality trait, I am finding it a little difficult to sympathise with, but it at least makes her something you want to protect. It does make her wants and needs very hard to read. But what would the right answer be for Kudo? Should he not try to encourage her to talk to him? Is not coddling her self doubt also going to harm her?

At least if the answer wasnt supernatural forces.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Arata sure knows where to stick the knives in with a smile on his face, doesn't he.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
Miyo being self sacrificial still being her primary personality trait, I am finding it a little difficult to sympathise with, but it at least makes her something you want to protect. It does make her wants and needs very hard to read. But what would the right answer be for Kudo? Should he not try to encourage her to talk to him? Is not coddling her self doubt also going to harm her?

At least if the answer wasnt supernatural forces.

I think she's just internalized a lot of her insecurities and anxieties from living with the Saimori's to the point where it's difficult for her to open up to people about how she really feels because she doesn't want to be a burden, and she sees how much the Kudo's have done for her and overworks herself to feel like she belongs with them.

Of course the nightmares and Kiyoka being so busy don't help matters either, though Kiyoka really phrased his concerns in the worst way possible.

But I think the main thing that's central to any relationship is communication. I think that's what Hazuki was trying to convey to Miyo about why her own marriage failed.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Miyo is a person. Only the Kudo siblings and Fumie seem to recognize that.

Who is Fumie? Do you mean Yurie?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:49 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
Who is Fumie? Do you mean Yurie?

Yes, yes I did. Fixing it now. Embarassed
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Poor Miyo. Even her biological family on her mothers' side only cares about her because her power is awakening.

It's kind of surreal watching two men actually duel over a woman but I guess it's not all that out of place in the era, just with the addition of supernatural powers. Really cool fight though.

It suddenly makes so much sense why Miyo doesn't have Spirit Sight, her family isn't meant to have powers for the sake of seeing Grotesqueries, but to use their powers against other ability users. Was Sumi's mom involved in that too? Telepathy could be pretty powerful.

I was wondering if Hazuki would ever use her powers. I wonder if she's as skilled/powerful as Kiyoka or if she just specializes in healing. But most powerful of all is her big sister scolding.

Looking forward to seeing Sumi's backstory. I figure she didn't want Miyo to be used by either families with her Dream-Sight, especially with how powerful Arata makes it sound.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6