• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2023

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Okay, okay, I'll put Undead Murder Farce on my watchlist, jeez. No need to lose your heads over it.

I chose to skip it as well. I'll probably wait for the dubs now since they're likely to show up soon.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Late to this since I only just finished my last seasonal, Sacrificial Princess & the King of Beasts, but pretty easy to pick my favs this season since I honestly didn't watch much.

Best: Link Click S2. It's a shame it wasn't covered or really talked about in most anime spheres given that it's a donghua, but it was easily the best full series I watched all season. I tend to prefer the dub for this show since it has a great cast and the subtitles are a little bit more stilted than most seasonals (not nearly as bad as BilliBilli's for S1 though), but it's the type of show where it was hard to not keep up with the latest release, especially since S2 took a more singular case-focused approach compared to its predecessor. I do still think S1 has stronger material overall, but was still a great showing - especially for such a light season.

Runner-Up: JJK S2. I guess since it's still on-going I'm mainly just talking about the first arc here, which I easily thought was the best JJK has ever been. It's never really been my show and personally I thought S1 was an absolute slog to get through, but this first arc back really surprised me with a notable upgrade in it's direction, some actually decent character writing, and due to the season's subject matter - didn't get too overly bogged down in explaining it's combat systems which always dragged S1 down. I'd say here's hoping the second half follows that trajectory but it's already not giving me a ton of hope with Shibuya being a "everyone gets together for an all-out war" arc that frankly doesn't feel earned.

Worst: Honestly? Nothing. None of the other shows I watched - My Happy Marriage, One Piece, or Sacrificial Princess - I would put here. Sure it was a super light season, but I got something different out of the few I did check out and stick with.
druv

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:12 am Reply with quote
This article made me watch Bang Dream! It's MyGO!!!!! and I'm hella grateful to Steve and Christopher for highlighting it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:35 am Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:
I was pretty happy with the Spellblades anime at first. The shortcomings were all things I expected it to struggle with, and it occasionally stepped up when it had to. Certainly better than most anime based on novels I translate.

But as time's gone on, the failings snowballed. They didn't build the foundations later events are based on, which makes everything feel meaningless. The characters and the relationships were given no time, so nobody cares what happens to them. It cut all exposition about the world and the themes so you can't even tell why we're being shown this stuff. And the staff seem to have no knack for tone, so it feels goofy when it should be sincere or horrifying, every exchange stripped of nuance.

It's starting to feel like it's surgically removed everything that makes the novels some of the best books around, and yet has just enough of a glossy veneer that people don't realize these problems are entirely induced by the adaption.

Hopefully some people see through that and give the source a shot.

you cant be surprised though for this have been kakodawa's bread and butter approach when it came to anime adaptations! especially since the light novels for reign of the seven spellblades are not in the same levels in terms of popularity ala a eminence in shadow or a mushoku tensei

though after the backlash they got for shield hero season 2, its not as obvious, but its clear they learned their lesson

the reviewer who have this as the worst clearly didn't read the light novels for reign of the seven spellblades for they would understand that its not entirely the animes fault since sadly, there were far too much source materials that was left out of the anime!

hope there is a season two, but if not at least there are the manga and light novels!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:11 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the reviewer who have this as the worst clearly didn't read the light novels for reign of the seven spellblades for they would understand that its not entirely the animes fault since sadly, there were far too much source materials that was left out of the anime!

I don't see why this matters, since they were specifically basing their decisions on the anime, not the franchise as a whole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4