• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Basilisk (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrex

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the final DVD last night. I think on the whole the anime was beautifully crafted and I give this series high marks for character development. While the story really didn't have any crazy twists or revelations, just the story of 2 rival clans. I do find myself a little bit torn over the ending.

I agree that the first 2 episodes on the DVD had a lot of tension and buildup, the way it ended you could see coming a mile away. I guess the part where I'm a little undecided if I like it or not is how spoiler[both Gennouske & Oboro die in basically the same manner in which their grandparent did(in each others arms in the river). I guess part of me sees that as the story coming full circle, another part of me sees that as too predictable an outcome. I never really bought into either of them hating each other and wanting the other one dead, even though towards the end they both had to do acting jobs to protect their respective clans.]

But in the end, like most good anime it's bitter/sweat and leaves room for interpretation. Can love conquer years of hatred? Watch Baslisk and find out for yourself. Very Happy I give it a B+, not great, but really solid.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
WOW!
I just finished Basilisk yesterday, and I was shocked by the end.
No, I knew it wouldn't be a happy end, and I wasn't disappointed, what shocked me was my reaction to it. I bawled (like a baby!) I had to pause it to go get kleenex and catch my breath and came back to finish it and started bawling again.
I can't think of another anime that was so voilent and so good at developing the character that you are completely drawn into their lives.
The ending left me completely satisfied...and drained. I think I need to own this series.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:24 am Reply with quote
Just started watching this one too. I'm surprised at how much I like it, but then again maybe I shouldn't be so surprised since I'm into violence and gore after all..

Every character is so interesting. Their techniques are all so unique and different - like the guy who spits out phlegm (Can't remember some of the names cause some of them are so long and they didn't have much screentime either) and the huge guy, Jousuke I think, who as fat as he is, he's still so flexible and bouncy Laughing

I am currently at episode 8, and I have to say that Oboro girl is a bit annoying.. She acts like she's nice or whatever, but something's off about her. Can't put my finger on it, I just know she's going to reveal her true nature throughout the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheVok

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I've finally started watching this series on DVD (via Zip) and am kinda bummed out by it. I loved 'Ninja Scroll,' but even though that movie was very gritty and violent, somehow 'Basilisk' feels far more nihilistic and depressing. I don't find the action sequences have the same sense of adventure and entertainment ... they come off more like just an ongoing series of executions.

I'm two discs in (eight episodes) and will watch at least one more for plot reasons, so there is still enough underlying storyline to keep me somewhat engaged, but I'm wearying of violence for violence's sake, which really seems to be the core premise of this series.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Basillisk isn't bad but i felt it was kind of a waste. It seems that for the sake of being more "mature" they killed a character or 5 every episode. It makes the action better and more intense but it also makes it pointless to invest anything in the characters so basically all you do is watch swarms of wasted potential kill each other.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Basically yeah, the only reason to watch the series is for the action and it's worth seeing for that, I guess since it's some good stuff. On the other hand the show is quite a downer, as well as predictable, and I really hated how it ends personally too. spoiler[It makes me feel kind of like I wasted my time hoping that what I predicted would happen from very early on, wouldn't take place, and of course it did.]
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised at the amount of backlash this show has been getting compared to my personal response to it. I powered through this show in a matter of days (usually it takes weeks to get through a show).

Yes, clearly there is a Romeo and Juliet factor in here, it is secondary at best and is swept aside for the majority of the show. It's also true that for every episode, you're going to find an intense fight (also entertaining) that keeps you on your toes.

However, why is it that people only aim at these two parts of Basilisk as its appeal? Surely, it earned a deal more credit than that. Even though I found myself smugly predicting what would happen through each episode, I found myself dead wrong and surprised most of the time. The series appears to be predictable, but there is no end to the surprises up until the very end. The formal dialect also breaks some loose chains and it fits the characters very well.

If you've seen this dubbed and thought it fell flat, then it would be a shame to drop this series and never give the sub a chance.

[EDIT: Split your post and merged it with this more recent thread. Also made sure to make this the main thread for the All Discussions page. -TK]
NathanBum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
I know what your saying about the artwork on the box. I have the complete collection, and it is simply unreal looking. It even came with a guide book and the thing that holds the discs has a ribbon around it. I felt like I was holding treasure. Only thing that bothers me about the anime is the seriously deformed characters. C'mon that old guys forehead is friggen giant!!
Sabut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
Not bad, but disappointing. The best part are the first episodes/battles, spoiler[the characters that remain are a bit boring, and the latest battles doesn't have much interest.] About the love story spoiler[ it doesn't really seem that Kouga Gennosuke really loves Oboro , but what he really wanted was peace, he respects her but that's all. Furthermore their wedding was most likely prepared by their grandfathers, whose love story was much more credible. The opposed to love isn't hate, it is indifference, and Gennosuke looked pretty much indifferent.]
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
Riyousha wrote:
It's gonna be on IFC. I would watch it but I don't know how to get to IFC. I mean, I do have cable but I have no luck getting there. Sad

Actually it's been on IFC for a while. It's on Thursday nights at 8:30. The final episode is on June 26th then it gets replaced by Samurai 7.
TheVok

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
Riyousha wrote:
It's gonna be on IFC. I would watch it but I don't know how to get to IFC. I mean, I do have cable but I have no luck getting there. Sad

Actually it's been on IFC for a while. It's on Thursday nights at 8:30. The final episode is on June 26th then it gets replaced by Samurai 7.

Um, note that Riyousha's post in question was from mid-2006. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4