• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime TV Premieres Tomorrow on iTunes, YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Likewise, if I previewed all the anime-related podcasts out there I'd probably have a similarly negative view for most of them; it's nothing personal.

Good... cause you almost made me cry...

But seriously man, Harsh Crits are what get things shaken and done, so no problems with that. Just keep an open mind my man and we will all be happy.

Peace.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
On the ratings--I think that the ratings are the averages of ratings given by a large group of fans--not the people sitting on the couch, but the people selected to be a reviewer from the forum on the website. Because of this, I like the larger review system because it's a wider range that reflects the large number of responses they're averaging together. I'd prefer "8.3" to "3.32 stars", for example.

Where exactly the ratings are coming from is perhaps unclear; I assumed it came from the core review team featured in the opening of the show. However, where it comes from doesn't actually have much bearing on my previous points. Would you treat an 8.3 result any differently from an 8.4? Is 83º F too cold for the beach but 84º F is just warm enough? These variations are too close to be significant in my view. I'm not looking for 3.32 stars, I'm looking for 3.

In other words, I want the potential variances to actually impact my decision. I can tell the difference between a two star movie and a three star movie, but I cannot tell the difference between an 8.3 movie and an 8.4 movie. Can you?

I understand where you're coming from, but that different between .3 and .4 DOES tell you something, since it's an average of several scores. While it's not a huge difference, it does reflect a difference in the points.

I mean, when you take a test in school, what's the difference between getting an 83% and an another person getting 84% on a test? There's not really that much of a difference, but the teacher's not going to round up your scores to both 85%, because that wouldn't reflect the actual scores. If that makes sense.

I'm guessing the group of reviewers is fairly large...although I could be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Well, the 8.anything score isn't really needed. But a straight number score like 8/10 or 9/10 is still preferable to me then out of 4 stars. I like out of 5 or out of 10 the best.

LostOne wrote:
Good... cause you almost made me cry...

But seriously man, Harsh Crits are what get things shaken and done, so no problems with that. Just keep an open mind my man and we will all be happy.

Peace.

Almost? Dang....I thought he did the trick, oh well. Laughing

Open minds make the world an overly enjoyable place, just how I like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
madpierrot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote
I have a negative opinion on it as well so far. I wanted to like this, I really did. I like the concept, I think it has potential, but this show missed the mark in the first episode.

To start this thing has been "offically" announced for what, easily over a month and they come up with something that's 15 minutes long including an ad, 45 second long intro and a minute closing. I mean actually give the show some content and make it longer, throw in a second show to review/discuss or at least some more content.

The whole debate thing was just poorly done. You had two people who almost didn't talk, two people that never stopped talking and two people that just made pointless comments when they felt like it. They didn't review the show or really debate it for that matter, they just pointed out obvious facts about the show or made side comments with no point. I mean they need to do a better job with that since it is the main part of the show. Also reviewing a Bang Zoom show just bothered me. I mean we got to hear them praise the dub and seeing as it's bang zoom that bothered me, not to mention I don't think it was anywhere near as good as they made it out to be.

Then the fan reviews, that was probably the worst part. They should just get rid of those all together. The "system" to become one I think is poor, I'm sure there's quite a few who are reviewers and probably most are just fans who are going to praise any show they think "roxs!" and pan any show they think is dumb. Like the guy who gave it a 5 for animation and 2 for soundtrack. Please you can not like the show, but that's too much, what's the point of these fan reivews. Not to mention the average is everything combined and just averaged out. It should be an average score that's not an average of the other 4 scores. I personally think the fan reviews are going to be a waste. It I want to see a score like that I'll just go to Anime News Network or even AnimeNfo, at least they will have some method to take out all of the biased people that shouldn't be doing reviews in the first place. When it comes to anime reviews if I'm going to read them I want them to come from places that have built a reputation for it from quality writing and experience, not people who got on because Bang Zoom gives it name appeal.

Lastly the site isn't even finished! How can so much of the site be "coming soon". It should of all been done by the time of launch. That's just a poor job by the people doing this.

All that being said I'm going to try and check out the second one. Hopefully they can make it longer, the debate part gets the help it needs and though they won't drop the fan reviews maybe in some way those can be improved or else I won't be watching much longer.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
Well because it's from Anime TV, I'm asking here.

On this pic. Who's the person on the far left? I mean Naruto in middle, Cell to the right, Eva to the left, Sailor Pluto at far right and ? at far left. the only thing I can think of Yumichika Ayasegawa from Bleach but I don't know.

(to madpierrot) I have to agree somewhat on the site. I mean I can understand somewhat on the "Made in Japan" and "Under Exposed" but the Forum should've been up before the show was aired.

And remember some of this show was Bosch saying what the show is about, since they're probably going to take that out, the show will get a little more into the show they're talking about and get to it faster. And the fan reviews are a love it, hate it thing so there has to be someone who hates it to be on there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I think the guy on the far left is Jin from SamCham:

http://tn1-4.deviantart.com/fs6/150/i/2005/057/7/3/Jin_by_zengarden.jpg
http://animefan.ru/images/products_images/4_Jin1.jpg

Take that first picture and mirror it in your head and you got the image on the banner.

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:42 pm Reply with quote
The second I saw that, before I even read you post, I knew itwas him. Thanks.
Karasuhebi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
No problem.

-Karasuhebi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fatcat21

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
all the debate on the rating system is quite funny. in the end the more precise we can get with evaluating these animes the better. 8.3 and such. the a scale of 1-10 is fine but to devote ourselves to an anime for an entire episode it just seems right to go decimal on the bitch. ha ha ha as for you guys with heavy criticisms I am all for it! why not hear a harsh approach? just remember, based on many things which were suggested about taking the sugar out as someone said and taking away an open debate we could end up with some show that is mondane and drab like ebert and whoever he is with. (god bless siskels soul)

we do have a habit sometimes of talking over each other but I am confident that future episodes will lead to a greater respect for one another. so we will listen to eachother's thoughts to their completion then pound those ideas to the ground like kenshin in kill mode.

oh ya last thing is the top five list was created through a top ten list all the cast wrote individually. it is not like we sat around together and decided. it was done through a third party to prevent an uprising. seriously though it means that bleach was on everyone's top ten list and it was the most consistent from the whole cast. personally I love bleach and am glad it was number one!!!!

thanks for the feedback!!!!! NOW GO WATCH ANIME!!!!
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote
fatcat21 wrote:

Best advise ever given, I'm THERE!!!!
10円

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:08 am Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
fatcat21 wrote:

Want some more friendly advice? NOW GO PAY FOR YOUR ANIME!!!!
LostOne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
WHAT!?!?!?

You mean you dont pay for your Anime?

Shocked.. SHOCKED!?!?!?

In other news Anno's next Project will knock the Anime Industry into the next decade. If it can top Haruhi that is...
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I pay for anime. =D

And yeah, I've just started watching Eva, so I'm excited to see the movies. I hope it comes out here in the US, and I hope they can get the original dub cast back, too (at least the main leads)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
10円 wrote:
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
fatcat21 wrote:

Want some more friendly advice? NOW GO PAY FOR YOUR ANIME!!!!

Ooh, I was PWND with the typo, I have many typos throughout my posts, I like them, but don't do them on purpose.
Why do people keep telling me that? I'll pay for anime when I get a job, I don't have one and have never had one so I kind of can't. I pay for anime that I watch here, but it's not really my money it's someone elses (like parents or friends) that have given me it or just bought if for me and that's rare (my dad despises everything I like, anime and video games even more), and I watch crap loads of fansubs, but when a show that's licensed comes here, I'll get it when I get a job.

LostOne wrote:
WHAT!?!?!?

You mean you don't pay for your Anime?

Shocked.. SHOCKED!?!?!?

In other news Anno's next Project will knock the Anime Industry into the next decade. If it can top Haruhi that is...

Nope I guess I don't. I really can't wait for Anno's next project.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
After watching this, only one thought came to my mind:
"Was this really worth 15 minutes of my life?"

To be fair, this show is aimed at a demo probably about 7-10 years younger than me, which accounts for the feeling that I had that it was oddly done (i.e., the camera skipping everywhere). The review segments weren't organized to me, though it was kind of funny to watch several of the reviewers try and outtalk the others. That review system: eh. Didn't really care for it, but found nothing so wrong that it just jumped out at me, minus the potential for bias from fan-based reviews.

And to be honest, I only watched it for the Haruhi dub segments. From what there was to hear, I have to say Stephanie Sheh and Crispin Freeman were okay, Wendee Lee has some more work to do, and I really can't form an opinion on Michelle Ruff since Yuki had so few lines.

Going back to my question at the start of this post, I'd say it was worth half the time I spent on it (the dub segments), and I'll watch the next episode and hope for improvements. Otherwise, I can't say I'll be watching the third episode.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5