• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, TV Tokyo Sue YouTube Users for Unauthorized Anime Uploading

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm ok with this, It's not as if the those two are being region locked.

I'm perfectly fine with protecting your rights as a production company as long as you in turn obey the DBAD licence.
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:45 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Quote:
"great and irreparable injury that cannot fully be compensated or measured in money"

I can hear NicoNico and NTV prepping their legal defenses in lieu of this filing given their competitive legal options also contribute to this asinine statement.

What's the point in offering legal streaming if the money will never see the light of day in Japan but instead fill the bank accounts of lawyers.

This is all just so stupid.

An important point in this is that Crunchyroll mentioned that their reason for filing suit is that it is a requirement to get YouTube to enforce their own TOS and keep these repeat offenders from uploading more illegal copies. If YouTube didn't require a legal filing, they wouldn't have bothered.

In other words, the lawsuit is a tool to force YouTube to actually follow its own rules.

Thanks for the other legalese posts zensunni, I'd thought this was so but too lazy to look it up. And I think you are right - its a move to make YouTube enforce their own rules.

I'd also expect that TV Tokyo is driving this more so that CR.
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:
...think I just found the definition of "ironic"

Pot sues kettle. Wink HEH.

Bob (aka Robert)
President
The Anime Corner Store

Follow RACS on Twitter or Facebook
or on the RACS Official Blog
ruriruri007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I have to wonder what the life of someone who's that dedicated to uploading Naruto to Youtube illegally is like.
Gotta assume really, really depressing.

Probably fairly similar to someone who writes reviews about anime.

=p
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Elwood wrote:
Hawkwing wrote:
Sorraffy wrote:
Crunchyroll .... Sue YouTube Users for Unauthorized Anime Uploading

think I just found the definition of "ironic"

Doesn't Chrunchyroll upload episodes legally on their website? Confused
Perhaps i have missed something...

Allow me to explain for you and anyone else who is unaware. Crunchyroll was original an illegal streaming site that worked pretty much just how it works now. Charge memberships for HQ, SD was free. They used free fansubs and shows they weren't responsible for to make their money.

Now they're legal of course, but the money to make that happen was made by commiting multiple illegal acts.

i guess you didn't tell the entire story. You forgot to mention, TV Tokyo didn't sure CR, instead of they invest money in CR. TV tokyo owns like 35% of CR. We have no right to complain. The right owners have the right to file or not file law sue against anyone. People shouldn't upload anime to youtube anyway. It's hard to take out those people, most pirates upload them to other illegal websites.
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll started because anime TV companies were being slow in getting their content up on the internet. Now that Crunchyroll does it legitimately I will not say this is hypocrisy. The TV distributors are probly forcing CR to do this, but it has a lot of merit. I don't think it will go very far, though.
TD912

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
While there are some amateur users who are simply fans of the show who think it's fun to post clips on YouTube or whatever, there are also many unscrupulous people who wish to use YouTube as advertising grounds for sketchy "free anime streaming sites" filled with adverts and malware.

These sites apparently rip videos from anywhere: from Crunchyroll to even fansubbers, and repost them on their own fishy site simply to make money off ads or to infect people with malware. Every so often I come across videos on YouTube with clip of some recent anime series with links to these crappy "free streaming" sites. YouTube seems to be slowly removing them bit by bit.

With that being said, I'm pretty sure Crunchyroll doesn't exactly want to sue their own fans, but at the same time, they need to show to the Japanese studios they are doing something to protect their intellectual property.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote

>watching anime on YouTube
I seriously hope you're not doing this.

EDIT:

Since it's fun responding to troll posts, let me join the bandwagon.

FaytLein wrote:
Ah piracy...the eternal struggle. When will this kind of stuff end? Virtually everything is streamed as quickly as possible, and people are still not satisfied? Ugh.

This summer season, I can only watch 4 out of 13 shows on Crunchyroll (2 free, 2 paid) which is Nekogami, Moritasan, Yuruyuri, and Kamisama Dolls. Now go figure.

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't see why people are still uploading episodes to YT anymore. Even with the multiple methods to try and get around the copyrights, they know they are doing wrong.

It's similar to how AMVers use the report system to try and say their AMV is proper use and they have the rights to post it. Well, yeah, it can be SEEN as fair use, but it's still technically illegal.

Ermat_46 wrote:
>watching anime on YouTube
I seriously hope you're not doing this.

Eh, I still do, but only on official channels like Bandai or Funimation. To be honest, I think via YT is the only free, legal way there is to watch the full first season of Code Geass. It's a bit of a different beast in this case, but I do believe I'm not the only one that watches some anime on YT.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
This whole thing, all of this, one big waste of time. No other way around it. They can't be seriously expecting actual dollars from this. Atleast not the amount they're thinking if any. I doubt they even are expecting any.

Quote:
Rather than targetting little rats like Youtubers, shouldn't Crunchyroll be chasing after Illegal Anime distribution sites that gets 5 or 6 digit daily viewership and most importantly AD REVENUE?

Exactly!
Wth, I mean really. Going after individuals over going after sites where you might actually get somewhere? Makes no sense. That seems like the most common-sense thing to do. The thing that might actually get you somewhere. Because to me, no other way makes sense.

This.... it don't make no sense Confused .

Unless it's like what was said above, it's only to make a point/example.

Quote:
Crunchyroll is has payed for exclusive rights to the first week after broadcast "worldwide". Last I knew, Hungary is in the world, is it not?

So are regions, and yet some are blocked.
Which I still don't understand, but anyways.

I wouldn't call this just irony, so much as hypocritical. As whats already been said.
Yeah, they're legal now, so I won't even start on them but, still, wow...

And btw. How in the world were these vids up long enough to get that many views? I know amvs that got taken down like that.
Even with those lame 'copyright' things that the people write in it or whatever. So i'm really confused by that. Wouldn't that be part YT's fault too? And i'm also confused as to the whole 'pushing the button to appeal' thing....

Quote:
I'm actually surprised that the uploaders were bold enough to file a counterclaim, at least those in the US. If they just left the takedown as is, I bet this wouldn't have occurred to them.

Ditto. They're asses but they got serious balls there...
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Justice is served. Smile

Although, personally I would go for the ones in US first. They don't have any excuse - morally or legally.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
cserkeszke wrote:
Quote:
Animax does not hold the streaming rights for the shows, they are merely one of the broadcasters of them. TV Tokyo is another broadcaster. The rights are granted by the rights holders, most likely the "Production Committee" associated with each show. Crunchyroll is has payed for exclusive rights to the first week after broadcast "worldwide". Last I knew, Hungary is in the world, is it not?

Bleach: "Availability for Bleach Seasons 1-15: Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region."

Naruto: "Availability for Naruto Seasons 1-9: Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region."

Now ain't that funny. And nope, the world starts at Austria and ends with the US.

Since they don't have the streaming right in my counrty, a Hungarian court couldn't care less about their claims. There are no Hungarian parties that would gain anything from such lawsuit, nobody would pay fat forints for the court under the table, so they also wouldn't give a flying f*ck about the whole ordeal. And hi again, different copyright laws! And you too, bootleg country!

Frankly, I don't see how the problem with Hungary not receiving the anime you want to watch is the problem of the English streaming rights holders in the United States. It's not the US's problem if you can't get your anime, nor are any of us under obligation to get it to you. If a Hungarian wants to download an anime and then reupload it, then he would be smarter to region lock it solely to Hugary (that is to say, if that is actually legal to do within your country, frankly, I have no idea). If a Hungarian is uploading anime that's available legally streaming for free from some other source within the States, and what he or she uploaded is available to be viewed within the US, the company in the States has every right to shut the bootleg down.

Sorry, bud, but... figure out some other way to watch anime in your country. Not our problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Sorraffy wrote:

I'm susprised that TV Tokyo have not done the same thing to fan sub groups.

since fan subs Yugioh Zexal & subs for Pocket Monsters Best Wishes are in FULL FORCE on youtube. Not to mentioned fansubs of the rest of the other yugioh series since people dont want to watch 4kids crappy versions.

Also if they cant upload on youtube , they can just upload somewhere else so instead , they should go after the companies instead of the users cause this suit against the users is gonna be thrown out no thanks to that Copyright Law Clinton passed when he was in office.

And the other problem is the limit of copyright violations goes. I just recently had my Bleach AMV removed by the youtube police. I could understand if it was an ep , but an AMV? REALLY???

Also the real shock is that none of the US based series are being targeted. Even the eps for the bakuguan and beyblade eng dubs and eng fan subs are still there. Can I say favouritism much???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Sorraffy wrote:

I'm susprised that TV Tokyo have not done the same thing to fan sub groups.

since fan subs Yugioh Zexal & subs for Pocket Monsters Best Wishes are in FULL FORCE on youtube. Not to mentioned fansubs of the rest of the other yugioh series since people don't want to watch 4kids crappy versions.

Also if they can't upload on youtube , they can just upload somewhere else so instead , they should go after the companies instead of the users cause this suit against the users is gonna be thrown out no thanks to that Copyright Law Clinton passed when he was in office.

And the other problem is the limit of copyright violations goes. I just recently had my Bleach AMV removed by the youtube police. I could understand if it was an ep , but an AMV? REALLY???

Also the real shock is that none of the US based series are being targeted. Even the eps for the bakuguan and beyblade eng dubs and eng fan subs are still there. Can I say favouritism much???

A reason I dislike Youtube and rarely use their site anymore. My original YT account created back in 2005 got banned because I had uploaded a clip (A CLIP as in 5 minutes or less) of a Shakugan no Shana episode, it sat their unlicensed for many a year until Funi got the license and decided to report my video...No warning, just taken down and banned.

Dailymotion FTW?
Viperblocker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
For those who keep saying "Crunchyroll is legal now". Ummm..NO they're NOT they are still streaming anime they don't own the rights to and hoping they will come forward to make some kind of licensing deals with them. Pretty much there bating tactics are not through with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7