• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Persona 4 The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Has everyone already forgot Trigun Badlands? They didn't even bother getting most of the cast back for that one, and it's only 1 movie. What makes you think they would fly the entire cast to Texas for a 25 episode series?

Well, the Trigun dub is a good deal older than the Persona dub, and IIRC at least one of those VAs wasn't even doing official work anymore. And I would see a VA more willing to fly out to do the voice work for something longer (AKA bigger pay for them) than one movie (especially since I heard Wolfwood, Milly, and Meryl don't even have that much screentime in the movie).

After looking into who played the Persona 4 characters, I could see them being capable of getting most of the main party members' VAs, though a few might be tricky as they did very little anime work and mostly video game work.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:15 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Has everyone already forgot Trigun Badlands? They didn't even bother getting most of the cast back for that one, and it's only 1 movie. What makes you think they would fly the entire cast to Texas for a 25 episode series?

Well, the Trigun dub is a good deal older than the Persona dub, and IIRC at least one of those VAs wasn't even doing official work anymore. And I would see a VA more willing to fly out to do the voice work for something longer (AKA bigger pay for them) than one movie (especially since I heard Wolfwood, Milly, and Meryl don't even have that much screentime in the movie).

I was referring more to the facts that Funimation simply stopped responding to the actors during negotiations, and most of them didn't find out until they heard the dub had been completed. Funi could have gotten at least a few more of the cast members back, but chose not to.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Do you have to have played any of the games to understand the events in the anime? I don't want to end up lost, seeing as how I've never played any of the Persona games.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Do you have to have played any of the games to understand the events in the anime? I don't want to end up lost, seeing as how I've never played any of the Persona games.

Its no different from watching an anime based on a manga/light novel/visual novel you've never read
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I'd give the chances of the video game cast being used at 50%. In fact, I'd say it's more likely that Sentai would use the original cast than if Funimation had got it. Has everyone already forgot Trigun Badlands? They didn't even bother getting most of the cast back for that one, and it's only 1 movie. What makes you think they would fly the entire cast to Texas for a 25 episode series? (And yes, Funimation is in Texas, NOT California.) The only time Funi has really done that was Slayers, and even then it was not the entire original cast. They haven't done it since.

They also outsourced Sakura Wars Sumire (to try getting the movie cast back), Tenchi Muyo GXP & OVA 3 to LA.

Quote:
Remember, we still don't know the dubbing status of shows like Black Lagoon, Hellsing, and Shana.

Well there is a good chance that they might send Black Lagoon & Shana to Ocean since they've been working together again for both TV broadcasts of DBZ Kai.

Quote:
ADV had a mixed track record on this in the past as well. The Slayers movies were mostly recast, as was Comic Part Remix.

With Slayers, they did bring back Crispin Freeman for Premium so they get some credit there and also for the Devil May Cry anime since they (unlike FUNimation for Sengoku Basara 1 & 2 Mad ) brought in Reuben Langdon to voice Dante like he did in the 3rd & 4th video games.

Quote:
Sentai also recently contracted Bang Zoom for the Rozen Maiden OVA, and ADV used them in the past for a few shows as well.

There's a big difference here though since Wild Arms & Arc The Lad were dubbed back when ADV had the money to outsource to them plus with Rozen Maiden Ouverture, that's only 2 TV episodes worth of dubbing so it had to be cheap.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I was referring more to the facts that Funimation simply stopped responding to the actors during negotiations, and most of them didn't find out until they heard the dub had been completed. Funi could have gotten at least a few more of the cast members back, but chose not to.

Another dub they didn't handle well in terms of replacing VAs was with the most recent Dragon Ball dubs as according to PurpleWarrior13, everyone at FUNi kept Stephanie Nadolny in the dark about her being replaced as Goku in DB Movie 1 & as Gohan in DBZ Kai and she didn't know about it until the cast was announced plus there are also rumors that Linda Young actually cried after she was denied to continue as Frieza.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Though keep in mind that retro-dubbing a couple Rozen Maiden OAVs is one thing, but retro-dubbing a whole 25-ep TV series will cost a whole lot more, even if they save some money by hiring a local LA dub studio to do it for them, instead of flying each and every VA back-and-forth to Texas several times over. They better expect this to sell more than the usual anime.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 pm Reply with quote
A few things I would like to bring up and then I'm done with this thread and all it's needless hostility(those who are civilized props to you and thank you for having a intelligent conversion without resorting to name calling)

Why do people keep bringing up Funi and Trigun? It's a different company and a different product. On top of which there is a little more then funi just stopped talking to people over that. From things some of the actors posted on facebook and the like it seemed as if they were expect MORE money for that movie then they got for a 26 episode series which is just insane. On top of the fact that teh dub was a pretty forgettable dub with the exception of JYB who show potential back then and still could not really be called good. But I guess that's why there is the saying of looking at things through nostalgia googles

There is a very good chance at least SOME of the original cast will reprise their roles. At least half of them work regularly in both LA and Texas and as such could easily recast their roles(Troy Baker and Laura Bailey spring to mind here and to be honest Troy is the number one guy I want back as Kanji. If he comes back then I'm sold). JYB you also probably be willing to come down to Texas assuming he played both the main character and Adachi again(although I don't know how that is gonna work. if the MC speaks in the anime it would be rather odd having the same guy voice 2 very line heavy roles)

Sentai should be paying attention in regards to the fan reaction over the dub and that this reaction hasn't just been since they said they are doing the show. The day the show was announced for Japan everyone who enjoyed the US release of the game thought about if it would get released here and if it would have the original cast and Sentai has to be aware of that. If they think they could get the amount of sales the game got they would probably put out the money for the dub everyone wants(while the games are niche the sales are still pretty large in the world of anime) If this topic remains such a heated one i'm sure Sentai will say something. As I mentioned earlier in the thread Sentai releases stuff rather quickly so we should hear about what they intend to do sooner rather then later. Until then people need to just chill. No reason to assume the worst nor is there a reason to attack people who have a different opinion. Those who are looking for excuses not to buy won't buy regardless of if the dub is what they wanted or not.

That said I'm off enjoy the rest of your conversations.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:

Why do people keep bringing up Funi and Trigun?

I brought up Funi because at least one or two posters said they would have been more likely to keep the original cast. I was simply pointing out they could be just as likely to recast. Trigun just happened to the be the most recent dub they had done so with.

I'm sure Sentai is looking at these comments and I have no doubt they will at least look into getting an LA dub for the show. They could attempt to get some of the cast back and do the dub in Texas, however even the few actors that do travel back and forth haven't done much work in Houston. The majority of their work has been for Funimation, closer to Dallas.

I do agree that it's a little ridiculous for people to be jumping to so many conclusions when the license has just been announced. The first episode hasn't even started streaming and those numbers will play a lot into their final decisions regarding the show.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From things some of the actors posted on facebook and the like it seemed as if they were expect MORE money for that movie then they got for a 26 episode series which is just insane. On top of the fact that teh dub was a pretty forgettable dub with the exception of JYB who show potential back then and still could not really be called good. But I guess that's why there is the saying of looking at things through nostalgia googles

The original actors wanted pay comparable to what they earn now. While that amount may well be more than what they earned 10 years ago for the TV series but the pay they were asking for has nothing to do with the project being a movie. As for your judgement and downplaying of the quality of the dub I know it is just your opinion but realize that the Trigun dub is generally highly regarded as one of the top dubs from that era, and for some one of the best of all time. I haven't seen the movie myself but if the screentime of the old characters were at a minimum it makes the penny pinching my Funi look that much worse.
nekedo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I could give a rat's ass if they get the dub cast or not. Those voices were horrible, which is why I went with the Japanese version and never looked back.

Does it have Paku Romi in it? It does? SOLD. Forget about that horrible excuse for a Naoto the dub had. It ruined the spoiler that spoiler[Naoto's a girl pretending to be a guy with a voice like that.]
sepherest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

I would suggest playing Persona 4 before trying the anime out. Given the staff that are behind it there really isn't any guarantee it'll be as good as the game, and most videogame-to-anime adaptations usually aren't that great anyway. A lot of stuff might get cut out, or things may not be explained as well. Plus the gameplay's pretty fun and it's not like an anime will have that Laughing

Personally I don't really care whether the anime gets an english dub or not. I just want to buy it without having to pay a ridiculous amount of money. Plus if there is an english dub and it sucks, I can just switch to Japanese. Case closed.

Sentai's a pretty good publisher, they just need some bigger titles and this could be one of them.
kikuchifan34

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 pm Reply with quote
While I am excited that the Persona 4 Anime is coming to the US (I had privately predicted Aniplex America or NIS America would have made a license announcement in 2012...), I will patiently await to see what Sentai will do. I was already planning on importing the Japanese release (because they have sweet extras like CDs, cards, etc.) anyway, but now I'll get the US release version as well (again sooner than expected).

Reading up on the facts on what Sentai has done with other dubs-in terms of bringing back original voice casts and/or letting other studios do it, I'm reminded of something that ADV did back in the day.

I remember purchasing the "Nurse Witch Komugi" OVA series from ADV. If you don't know "Nurse Witch Komugi" is a spinoff of the "Soul Taker" series (which I also have). Soul Taker was released in the US by Geneon, and was dubbed in Canada by the Ocean Group. Certain characters from "Soul Taker" would also appear in the "Komugi" spinoff. When ADV dubbed Komugi, they retained all of the same VAs that voiced characters originally in Soul Taker. So Brad Swaile reprised his role as Kyosuke Date, Jocelyne Loewen as Komugi, etc. ADV only went with their stable of VAs for minor and totally new characters that appeared in Komugi that didn't appear in the original/parent series (such as going with Kira Vincent Davis as Koyuri). Yeah this meant, ADV did business with Canadians ... perhaps because they understood/respect established VAs in roles back then for continuity purposes.

While ADV by name is no more today (for all intensive purposes; we all know that some/most of the people that made up ADV are now Sentai), and the state of the anime industry/business is different (and yeah along with the easy fallback excuse of the economy) today than it was years ago; there is some hope/evidence that Sentai may treat the Persona 4 Animation with the respect that it deserves. I may not always agree with what Sentai has been licensing lately, or how they release it, but I will give them a chance. Time will indeed tell and show if what Sentai does will work or not...
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:39 pm Reply with quote
First off I really hope they pull this anime off, they have been giving it the full court press in terms of trailers.

Why did sentai have to get it $70 for a bluray of 12 episodes, with OP and ED as the only extras with a new cast does not at all sound like something I can swing, atlest funi gives you a Limited edition box, plus the DVD plus the bluray, and a limited edition item along with actual extras for that price (looking at spice and wolf 2). or even less in most case.

glad this is getting a dub, and glad that someone picked it up, hope to pick it soon assuming that the anime is actually good (wonder if they will include the bonus level after you beat the game in the anime?)

Last edited by Tanteikingdomkey on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
nekedo wrote:
I could give a rat's ass if they get the dub cast or not. Those voices were horrible, which is why I went with the Japanese version and never looked back.

They still make these?

Anyway I was worried when I saw that Sentai got P4, but it seems like they might try to get the cast back if what I've read up till now is true.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
By "these" do you mean the Japanese version of Persona games? If so then not only to they make them in Japanese they also make that version first.(My copy is the import version)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7