• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm guessing no one here likes One Piece...?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
I love One Piece, but it gets no love.

Besides 4Kids murdering the series, Oda's style is a bit plain and most people seem turned off by it. That and One Piece doesn't really pick up until the Logue Town mini-arc and the lead-in to the Grand Line.

One Piece is really what it seems like, a really big, grand adventure. I love its scope and scale, even though it seems to have gotten too big for even Oda to control. This is a never ending series, and I like the ride.

Oda does a great job with character backgrounds as well, fleshing them out as much as they can be fleshed out. Luffy just wins.
Kresin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
I actually like One Piece alot, I just stopped watching/reading it for while. The manga version was actually the first manga I ever read.

I like the wackiness and zaniness of it. It seems to have a sort of Dragon Ball feel. I like the animation of the series to, I think it fits perfect.

I'm really glad somebody else took over the dub. 4Kids was totaly butchering series and it was almost painful watch. I haven't seen the what Funi has done with it yet so I can't comment on that.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
Since this seems to be the closest thing to a proper talkback thread for One Piece's US broadcast here, I should point out that this coming Saturday will be the final episode of the FUNimation dub currently scheduled. The following two weeks will be repeats of the 4Kids dub, and the week after that One Piece will disappear from the schedule entirely, replaced by Bakugan.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the show is canceled, but it's definitely something people should take note of.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
That means make sure you don't tune in when they're showing the crappy version of the show, because you're going to be wasting your time Wink On other news, the first season looks like it's coming soon from Funi, so we have much to look forward to.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:52 am Reply with quote
The moive is out too, it was 15.99 @ best Buy- not to sure if thats still on. I haven't had the chance to watch it.

The whole arguement: One Piece Crew can never die! People loved DBZ enough and people on there died only to be brought back ten minutes later. They spent a whole series looking for the DragonBalls, and then can find them in 10 minutes.

gripes aside, Anyone keeping up with the show? They just met [spoiler]Brooke or however its spelt. No spolis, but I think spoiler[his ablity to run on water is awesome! I thought for sure he would float or sink but not die.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
legendfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote
As I expected... this discussion is decorated with post that say something along teh lines of "omg one piece is sooo cool i luv one piece!!".

"One Piece" is one of the anime that appear on breakfast television kid's shows in Australia (only shonen which have been westernised in some way actually make that slot). It seems that every so often, you'll get an anime (like Pokemon or DBZ) which is out there to BE CAPITALIST, NOT ARTISTIC. A shonen is usually Westernised in some way (like Pokemon) if it is made for this purpose - we can tell often by an overall basic plotline such as good-vs-evil or the "journey to being the best". In that sense, Naruto is like this too.

In my opinion, since anime fandom is a subculture on its own, anime can be regarded as "arthouse" internationally. Many Westerners, when thinking of anime, would know Pokemon, Naruto, DBZ, Bleach and that's about it. That's because they're mainstream. Or its just that they picked the wrong distribution studio in America (ahem ahem, 4Kids) and they become mainstream, thus causing the original Japanese producers to switch from the ARTISTIC side to the CAPITALIST side. Mad That's when anime turn corny. Then again, they probably licensed 4Kids to do it on purpose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:47 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
As I expected... this discussion is decorated with post that say something along teh lines of "omg one piece is sooo cool i luv one piece!!".

"One Piece" is one of the anime that appear on breakfast television kid's shows in Australia (only shonen which have been westernised in some way actually make that slot). It seems that every so often, you'll get an anime (like Pokemon or DBZ) which is out there to BE CAPITALIST, NOT ARTISTIC. A shonen is usually Westernised in some way (like Pokemon) if it is made for this purpose - we can tell often by an overall basic plotline such as good-vs-evil or the "journey to being the best". In that sense, Naruto is like this too.

In my opinion, since anime fandom is a subculture on its own, anime can be regarded as "arthouse" internationally. Many Westerners, when thinking of anime, would know Pokemon, Naruto, DBZ, Bleach and that's about it. That's because they're mainstream. Or its just that they picked the wrong distribution studio in America (ahem ahem, 4Kids) and they become mainstream, thus causing the original Japanese producers to switch from the ARTISTIC side to the CAPITALIST side. Mad That's when anime turn corny. Then again, they probably licensed 4Kids to do it on purpose.

You must have not been here when the licensed was dropped by 4Kids and picked up by Funimation. It is no longer a Saturday morning cartoon, but rather a night time series like Bleach and Naruto. On top of that Funimation will be releasing uncut DVDs of the series, making it all the more reason to pick it up if you're a fan of the series.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Well that kind of pisses me off that it's being taken off. Mad But then again, I guess it's not being canceled (or at least yet anyways), just pre-empted is all. It's probably the same thing as with Bleach, where they just need more time to dub the episodes is all. Whatever the case though, I'm at least excited to be getting the Funimation box sets real soon starting from episode 1! Cool
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
But in the case of Bleach, the show just went into reruns. One Piece is being removed from the schedule entirely. This is despite apparent claims that dubbing for the series is well past episode 200.

Also remember that if One Piece is canceled, there's a very good chance that Toei will pull the license from FUNimation.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

Also remember that if One Piece is canceled, there's a very good chance that Toei will pull the license from FUNimation.

Nah, I doubt it. Only if the DVDs sell really bad, do I see Toei taking it from FUNi. They've been doing a great job so far, and the reaction from the fans has been positive( except with that deal with the credits on Movie 8). Anyways, this gives FUNi more time to concentrate on making an uncut dub from ep. 1. =D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
We really shouldn't be spinning this in a positive light. :-/

People just need to be aware of what might potentially be happening here. Cartoon Network letting One Piece get "Zatch Belled" would be a very, very, very bad thing.
braves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
We really shouldn't be spinning this in a positive light. :-/

People just need to be aware of what might potentially be happening here. Cartoon Network letting One Piece get "Zatch Belled" would be a very, very, very bad thing.

Zacth Bell didn't have as big a fanbase as One Piece. And wasn't Viz only selling edited versions of Zatch Bell? That'll just drive away fans who started watching the series in Japanese. From what I've heard the ratings for One Piece were going up since the FUNi dub aired. And anyways, I'm sure that Bakugan will fail and then One Piece will come back. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Note that Funi has had to edit things for the CN broadcast like 4Kids did, but they're not whack things and leaving entire episode segments or arcs out.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Anime needs to retake the 8PM timeslot from the horrible 90's Canadian "horror" show.

Quote:
And anyways, I'm sure that Bakugan will fail and then One Piece will come back.

True, they will need a show to put on once Bakugan fails.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote
CN owns the US merchandising rights to Bakugan. Don't count on it leaving so easily.

It would be more useful to hope that Blue Dragon disappears from the schedule. After all, it is just a repeat of an episode that airs earlier that day. The fact that an encore showing of a series that hasn't even debuted yet is taking precedence over new episodes of One Piece, again, makes absolutely no sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12