• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
People with similar tastes in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Xenofan 29A: Like Satoshi Kon?

Hmm...I think I do! Smile

ManOfRust wrote:
Please give Mushishi a look if you get a chance.

I've seen parts of it! I loved the pacing, music, and the short story-like feel of each episode. I know that my "Seen Some" list isn't public, but it's on there.

ManOfRust wrote:
I hope you find time to add more comments because I always like to see some additional thoughts especially when someone's rating on a title is very different from my own.

If you're thinking about any title in particular, PM me and I'll add comments. I'll add comments on my own from time to time as well.

ManOfRust wrote:
The way I interpret Xenofan 29A's idea is for us not only to talk about what we put in our own lists, but also to take the time to look at other lists and see what we think.

Exactly! I think that people should understand both that there are people out there that have similar tastes to their own, and also that there are people out there that have differing tastes. Additionally, Tony K. has implied that this could also become a discussion of objectivity and subjectivity in ratings; I'd be happy to participate (as the Philosophy major I am) in an aesthetics discussion.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
Aromatic Grass: Ko, I was surprised your list wasn't longer. You always seem knowledgeable to me so I guess I expected to see more "seen all" titles.

Really? Heh. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop I guess it's all because of the titles in my "Seen some" list. Either that or I'm just that good! I have a tendency to look up a lot about random anime out of sheer curiosity, so I guess it comes in handy sometimes.

ManOfRust wrote:
You have seen a lot of things I haven't but we have several things in common especially among titles we both rated highly like Figure 17 and Haibane Renmei. I wish you had comments along with your ratings.

Figure 17 is amazing, but it's not discussed much. It's actually in my Top 20 favorites, but I only display my Top 10. And as for comments... I've tried, but I'm not very good with words. I read others' comments to get ideas on how to write one, but everyone else does such a good job analyzing series. It takes me forever to think those things over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
demonroach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
DemonRoaches Seen It All List

Well, I am one of those people who make a major attempt to watch every single episode of any series I watch. In the past, with slightly older animes, it has been slightly easier to do so just because of the english dubbing, but with newer anime that don't have english dubbing yet, it has been difficult. Especially with horrible animes. Subtitles more often than not are worded in a way that no english speaker person would speak or use, but I think alot of fansubs out there really help. I don't display my watched some list just because its short and I dont think anyone wants to see it Razz

In terms of the way I rate them. I am probably one of the few that don't rank originally very high. This is just because its so rare to find something very original, especially when you are already well read in fantasy and science fiction. So, what I look for is script value and presentation. The script being the actual words said, whether it was actually someone would say or whether its just some made up bull to fill time. The presentation is obviously the animation style and coloring along with the character movements and expressions. The most important thing is whether or not the story moved me to feel any real emotions, which is the main cause of some of my anime not going above the good. Anyway, I can't remember what this thread was about so I'll stop here.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
And as for comments... I've tried, but I'm not very good with words. I read others' comments to get ideas on how to write one, but everyone else does such a good job analyzing series. It takes me forever to think those things over.

Yeah, I am the same way. I do put comments but I keep them short and to the point(Which is why I put links to other peoples reviews.). Serving as a reminder more than anything else.

Also F17 is one of the most under-rated animes imo. :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the Figure 17 statement which I also gave masterpiece to. I'm still amazed that most of the staff including the main writer, chief director, chief animation director, and character designer also worked on key elements of Bereserk! These guys are talented and versatile.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
You guys have got me interested in Figure 17 now. If I can still find it somewhere for cheap I'll pick it up. I did a quick credits check and its made by almost the same people (director, character design, the most important credits to me) who did Steel Angel Kurumi and To Heart and I kinda liked both those shows. So Figure 17 should at least be decent for me, and if I'm lucky it'll be great like you guys seem to suggest. Smile
zhir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
These are mine. I just started adding to it today, so there aren't that many shows yet. I usually don't finish a show I don't like, so I'll link to my seen some page as well.

Seen all

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/index.php?user=zhir&categ=3

Seen some

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/index.php?user=zhir&categ=2

I don't comment that much, but would be glad to talk about any of the shows.

Xenofan seems to have similar tastes to mine in drama, but I like comedy more. He also seems to rate more towards the low end of the scale. I'll look at more lists later.

Last edited by zhir on Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
@zhir I click on that link you gave but it says "you have no anime incategory seen all."
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
So Figure 17 should at least be decent for me, and if I'm lucky it'll be great like you guys seem to suggest. Smile

The great thing about F17 is that I think anyone has the chance to enjoy it. It's cute and light-hearted some of the time, yet it can also be serious and intense some of the time. And the ending is fantastic! It's an anime I'd recommend to anyone.
zhir

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
chichiriNoDa wrote:
@zhir I click on that link you gave but it says "you have no anime incategory seen all."

It somehow got made private again. It's fixed now.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I tend to go all over the board from one end of the spectrum to the other, at least i think i do. Most of mine are from (TV) series as I am a collector of boxed sets.

While I'll watch any one of them at least once, it takes a bit of doing for them to rank beyond "good" for me. As to my type of ranking "good" denotes it's worth seeing and i keep that as the base line for most of what I watch. For me ANN had a few too many options for the scale. I often look at two things: overall, and the genre it comes from. Some are ranked good for the genre at which they fall in, or at what is expected of the show. Ikki Tousen for example, a fanservice laden fighter, did well for what it's supposed to do. Though it's overall might make it less worthy to many.

At any rate here's the list and they are always added to and changed periodically.

Seen all:
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?categ=3&user=Steel%20Angel

Top10:
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?categ=10&user=Steel%20Angel

Quote:

You guys have got me interested in Figure 17 now. If I can still find it somewhere for cheap I'll pick it up. I did a quick credits check and its made by almost the same people (director, character design, the most important credits to me) who did Steel Angel Kurumi and To Heart and I kinda liked both those shows. So Figure 17 should at least be decent for me, and if I'm lucky it'll be great like you guys seem to suggest. Smile

Defiantly a worthy show if you like Steel Angel Kurumi.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I've put comments on my list if anyone cares....

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=chichiriNoDa&categ=3
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll also throw my vote of confidence into the ring for Figure 17, which I mainly discovered through Keonyn's posting about it. See his list for details. I mention Keonyn here because I know that you, Porcupine, value the opinions of those who don't watch fansubs (like Keonyn) over those that do (like me).
Porcupine wrote:
Depends on the definition of cheap, but it's readily available. The collection goes for about $45-$50, and most of the individual DVDs are ridiculously cheap used on amazon. Imo it's worth it at those prices. The "13 episodes on 6 discs?!" factor scared me for a moment, until I learned that it's effectively a 26-episode series. In many ways, Figure 17 is almost like an OVA -- it was originally broadcast once a month, so they had plenty of time to make the quality as high as they could.

EDIT: And to answer the question, yes, my lists are current and up-to-date. I generally move things from Want to See -> Seen Some and Seen Some -> Seen All within a week of starting/finishing them. Some series like Paranoia Agent have gone uncommented for over a year, but I'm sure I've at least rated everything.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
noobles
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
This forum topic's been pretty great as I've found titles to check out (and avoid) after following all these lists and forum posts.
I've been watching anime for about an year and these are my lists: Series I've Watched and Movies I've Watched, which I keep pretty upto date.
Most of the titles have comments where I include a percentage score as well, I also usually rate anime series on how well I feel they do within a genre rather than overall.
undeadben

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
undeadben: The first thing that really struck me reading your list was how much we disagree about Chrono Crusade. However, we do agree on the Fullmetal Alchemist movie, and you, unlike most, did not give Gankutsuou a perfect rating. You tend to rate higher than me, but we don't have a lot in common, so it's hard to judge.

Yeah, Chrono Crusade is probably a series I disagree with a lot of people on, as well as the FA movie and Gankutsuou. Gankutsuou in particular is a series that I rated good, which I suppose is average for me, and it's been a long while since I have seen it, but I remember liking many of the aspects of the show. However I didn't rate it higher because what I remember most about it was being tremendously bored for long stretches while watching it. Entire episodes at times were not interesting to sit through. I think I fell asleep through some of them, which is weird as I'm an insomniac and sometimes have trouble sleeping even when I'm just lying down and staring at the dark for hours. I'm not saying those episodes were more boring than staring at nothing, but probably close.

And yeah, outside a few similarities, and the Kon love, I don't see a lot of similarities in our tastes.

Porcupine wrote:
Just curious though, how many of our My Anime lists actually accurately reflect all or most of what we've seen?

Every show I have seen is on one of my lists. Where I need updating is in organization and comments. For instance, there are three titles on my 'seen some' list that I need to write comments for and move to 'seen all,' and I'd also like to add more comments for some specific shows I listed in sub-lists. My "want to see" list is the one that's actually short, but to go around and add every single title I have an interest in outside the 166 I already have listed seems like over kill. I'd also like to go back at some point and add a few comments on 'want to see' titles, like where I got the recommendation, or what and where I heard about each show, which I think would make it easier to decide, "what to watch next?"

ManOfRust wrote:
undeadben: Of all the lists I have looked at your tastes probably match up with mine closer than anyone else's. Of course we still have differences, but we agree on a lot of titles and in many cases for the same reasons. Yours is another list I have bookmarked and keep going back to. Your comments (both in your list and in the forums) were a big part of why I decided to watch Gunslinger Girl, which is now one of my favorite series.

I agree, I've now browsed your list often and I've thought a few times that if we were neighbors we would probably only have to buy about 60% of the anime we do now, we could then just borrow back and forth.

And I'm glad I got you and a few others into Gunslinger Girl. I hope the second series is just as great and that it gets licensed here as soon as possible. I've bought that first series twice now, the second time just to get that cloth poster that comes with the original volume 1 with artbox. Very Happy (Maybe that 60% estimate is low after all.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5