• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: The 6 Most-Abused Anime Protagonists

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsilver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... No Nobody's Boy Remi?

Then again, they're going for slapstick in the article, not anything serious.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I agree pretty much with tuxedocat.

Yes, Taiga is violent for no reason, her automatic reaction to walking into someone is to punch them to the floor. She later breaks into Ryuji's house and attacks him with a wooden sword. She came across as having this huge chip on her shoulder and A Piece of Work. And then after he has endured a physical assault Ryuji actually cooks for her every morning. This is not a healthy relationship, this is akin to domestic violence only it is the female who is instigating it.

God I hate Toradora! The violence was. Just. Not. Funny.

There's always going to be a double-standard at play, which is sad. I don't know if I would have laughed if the genders were reversed with Kaname and Sousuke. But Toradora! just took the violence too far, like way outside the bounds of comedy or good taste, and it is hardly alone in doing so. The latest example was this season's Ben-to, which I dropped after being thoroughly disgusted with the first episode.

can i ask did you watch all of toradora "it sounds like you watched half of the series"?? Taiga does change through the course of the series later on and stops being cold "tsun" and opens up as more "dere" The whole thing didn't bother me that much but hey if you hated, you hated I can't change people's minds all I wish to do is provide examples. I personally think she is one of the better tsunderes because she does change of the course of the series instead of always staying the same... eh.. hmm I got nothing else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
vinamara wrote:
...After all, there are many women who can't stand men one bit and have an impulsive urge to punch them in the face.

I've never met a single one, thankfully. To the level represented by Inami, probably because they would be jailed or institutionalized after assaulting the wrong person. Then again, most of my interactions with people take place around a business environment, and no one would hire a person like that.

Well you're taking this too seriously Smile. Its a comedy filled with lovable wackos. And Inami actually has extenuating circumstances thanks to her father who brainwashed her as a child drumming into her head that men are monsters. If you ask me, Inami should be commended for facing and fighting her problem. And also, this anime doesn't portray females as weaklings.

tuxedocat wrote:
vinamara wrote:
Slapstick humor is also a category and its been done to death in American cartoons .....And I don't see why you would say this is just aimed at men.There's hardly any fanservice except for some moeness.....

I see what you mean about slapstick, though. It has been truly overused here in the States. I guess the Japanese aren't tired of it yet, though some of those shows go back a ways... I guess kids who haven't been overly exposed to this kind of humor still find it funny (for a while).

The thing is that most people forget that slapstick anime like these are accessible by all age groups. Adults may not find it funny because they've seen enough of it but its also watched by kids who would find it funny. Kids don't judge after all. Everyone needs to stop grading anime as if they're just aimed at adults Laughing .

Observe that females aren't hurt or punched by males because that would be socially unacceptable and extremely vulgar (not implying that contrary is justified). But females hitting males isn't disturbing or implicative (to a great extent).

Everyone's using Ben-to as a good example where that lesb!an slaps the protag around for no good reason with complete impunity and that is really spiteful. This is suggestive. "Working!" is not. Smile

Last edited by vinamara on Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hadn't intended to soapbox or anything, but seeing how much it pisses YOU off just makes me want to do it more!
This is how I post. It is nothing to do with your words in particular.
Quote:

I thought that was more an aberration rather than the norm, though I guess you're the expert in that department. LOL. You act like I hit a nerve or something.

Have I implied any normalcy or majority rule in that comment?
All I have claimed was that there are men in this world that enjoy being beat up along with there being people in this world that enjoy watching such a spectacle. Both of those comments were aimed at your shock over the knowledge that some people could entertained by violence towards others even though you don't.

dtm42 wrote:
It was not a bad example. If an innocent girl was doing their shopping and a guy came out of nowhere and kicked her in the head so she lost consciousness for such a long period of time, most of the fans of Ben-to wouldn't be so blasé about it. You can try and argue against it, but the double-standard clearly exists.

This double-standard as you say is what separates reality from fiction. Which means so long as the audience is of the appropriate age watching certain acts that would be condemned in real life is okay to be watched and enjoyed in fiction.

Also the example is bad in this case because while the concept of Ben-To itself is absurd most of the fighting isn't a laughing matter. So you not finding a character getting punched funny is to be expected because most of the fights are not meant to be humorous.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
can i ask did you watch all of toradora "it sounds like you watched half of the series"??

No, after seeing what a doormat Ryuji was and how Taiga was a horrible and psychotic person I dropped it after two episodes. It would have been one episode, except I was assured the show picked up in the second episode which was supposed to be amazing. I was lied to.

Maybe Taiga does get better after receiving her medication, maybe Ryuji does grow a pair of balls and reports her to the police. Maybe it was his reporting her that spurred the authorities to actually getting her the help she needed. I don't know because I dropped the show, so I'll have to take your word for it.

But I have absolutely no desire to find out for myself. Because that would mean putting up with a show - and especially two certain characters - that I simply cannot stomach.

I feel like I've said enough about Toradora! for one thread, will be calling it a night. Well, evening actually. Sun's still shining.

Yes, that is indeed sarcasm in the second paragraph. Please do not take it literally.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
can i ask did you watch all of toradora "it sounds like you watched half of the series"??

No, after seeing what a doormat Ryuji was and how Taiga was a horrible and psychotic person I dropped it after two episodes.

I think I liked Ryuji a little better than you did (I watched 8 or 9 episodes before giving up.). I actually thought he was a decent, polite guy. That's why I had so much trouble finding any humor when he would be assaulted for absolutely no reason at all. I guess I could have seen the humor if he had done something to deserve it, but he never did.

I guess the flip side of the coin is the shojo heroine who is always being insulted and harassed by the "bad boy". (I usually drop those, too) Confused
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

No, after seeing what a doormat Ryuji was and how Taiga was a horrible and psychotic person I dropped it after two episodes. It would have been one episode, except I was assured the show picked up in the second episode which was supposed to be amazing. I was lied to.

Maybe Taiga does get better after receiving her medication, maybe Ryuji does grow a pair of balls and reports her to the police. Maybe it was his reporting her that spurred the authorities to actually getting her the help she needed. I don't know because I dropped the show, so I'll have to take your word for it.

But I have absolutely no desire to find out for myself. Because that would mean putting up with a show - and especially two certain characters - that I simply cannot stomach.

I feel like I've said enough about Toradora! for one thread, will be calling it a night. Well, evening actually. Sun's still shining.

Yes, that is indeed sarcasm in the second paragraph. Please do not take it literally.

okay.. just wanted to know is all. I personally loved the series but hey I won't bug you anymore about it thanks for answering my question.

On a different note i am surprised no mentioned sunohara from clannad. I know he isn't a male lead but he got abused and kicked around in one ep than most male leads do in an entire series "which he deserved most of the time I suppose".. Oh that pic i posted is cannon FYI from the psp visual novel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:53 am Reply with quote
jsieczkar wrote:
dormcat wrote:
All six in the list were "abused" in comedic, light-hearted ways. Check out Shu from Now and Then, Here and There for some really horrible, terrifying experience.

Now and Then, Here and There was the first title that came to mind when I saw the title of the list, the second one was Kite.

Please. They all deserve what's coming. Laughing

tuxedocat wrote:

There must be some reason that this woman-on-man violence is such a popular trope, but I just don't get it.

Because in real life, it's usually the reverse. So it's escapist fantasy for either gender - not gonna happen in real life, for the most part. Laughing

BTW, my nominee for this is:
OMG! They killed

You bastards! Laughing
rojse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
I would have preferred a list with an emphasis on drama over comedy - I really don't find women beating up men for the slightest perceived infractions humorous in any way.

In regards to "Now and Then, Here and There". As much as I hated the character of "Shu" in the anime - he was so annoyingly cheerful and optimistic when he had no reason to be - he really did not deserve everything that happened to him.
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one mentioned Kenichi Shirahama from Kenichi the mightiest disciple. The amount of stuff his martial arts masters put him through is staggering, and one of them kills him quite often.
It is for a good cause though, since it seems to make him stronger.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:15 am Reply with quote
Kind of surprised someone actually qualified for being above Hayate from Hayate the Combat Butler on that list. Poor kid REALLY can;t catch a break, and while it was played for laughs it is pretty terrible that his parents were perfectly willing to spoiler[sell his organs to the Yakuza] not to mention all the other times they ruined his life. Makes me wonder how they didn;t qualify for the "worst modern anime parents" list from a while back.

Of course I haven;t actually seen Dokuro-chan so I can't say for sure if that guy is any worse off...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Of course I haven;t actually seen Dokuro-chan so I can't say for sure if that guy is any worse off...

He's brutally killed with a spiked bat several times in every episode, so he might be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote
I consider Izumi from HE IS MY MASTER to be one of the worst abused (harassed/humiliated/put in dept)anime characters mostly because she goes through her abuse and humiliation because she's trying to protect her little sister who's arguably her worst abuser.
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I got this one!!!

What about Hiroshi Nohara from Crayon Shin-Chan??? He got abused by his wife for every girl he sees though.
mer2329

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
i live your colum but i do have a problem with the polling system the article was written on the 5th and yet today (the 7th) the poll is closed
i would like to participate in it but this is regularly disappointing (i say regulary because i have only been able to participate in one (maybe 2) of your polls

because i cant vote. i will leave my vote here

capsules from akira
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5