• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2008-03-26

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
Lol, that makes me glad that most of the stuff at my house is on a DVD, not a VHS. Maybe you could sell them to a museum, or put them in a time capsule for the future...
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
I didn't start collecting anime until VHS was dead and buried! My roommate (the one with all the $$$) got an LCD hi-def TV and a PS3, I contributed the DTS for our setup. Although the PS3 will play standard def DVD's, I still have my old progressive scan DVD player since the PS3 will play older 4:3 DVD's with those ugly black bars on the sides. I haven't seen any Blu-Ray anime releases yet, but if the Appleseed Blu-Ray release is any indicator, hi-def is much better, perticularly in high motion/action scenes. Of course, older series could still get released on Blu-Ray discs at standard def quality as the ultimate thinpak form - I'm sure you could get a 12 to 13 episode series on 1 disc - maybe more!
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Another great comic Robin. Smile

britannicamoore wrote:
geez, I have to wonder how that plastic will pass. Confused

I'm more concerned about the metal layer in between the plastic, that's made out of aluminum and gold.
Aki Ameko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Can I have someone's old VHS tapes? Please? (Or Dvds for that matter. Laughing ) I don't care about upgrading at all as long as I have a player that'll play what I have. :3
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
At lease you can play dvd in a blu-ray player

Not to mention, using the "up converter". Wink

I'm personally glad, that I got into the anime market during the beginning of the DVD age. I don't have many anime titles on VHS (only 5 tapes).
billyarnie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
joelgundam00 wrote:
I'm more concerned about the metal layer in between the plastic, that's made out of aluminum and gold.

Which reminds me of this from Brian Hanson's Thing of Things: http://bp1.blogger.com/_SSU7zFIlu80/R475pBrJcWI/AAAAAAAAAAw/EaGRYg6s0LY/s1600-h/assgold.png
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
She could have microwaved them all,takes about 5 seconds,amusing herself in the process.As well as the fire department.

I built a similar fort out of my old VHS tapes,though I didn't build that hilarious window in the front like Nina did.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I do hope the artists realize that Blu-Ray players will play DVDs as well.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
oh how true it is
missing_soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Nina, as always is great fun (?)

In a few years my copyright protected DVD's 0 ("file system") track will slowly but surely part with me. That's life, we don't live for ever after all, and I'm sure I'll have a laugh Rolling Eyes

Just one question to the artist: what would you do if someone emulates Nina, eats a DVD, goes to the hospital and sue you?

Next time don't forget to add a disclaimer: such behavior could cause serious injury and/or death...
Roy9076

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, simply wow. Disturbing... and awesome. Shocked VHS fort was simply hilarious!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
billyarnie wrote:
Fortunately, my wife & I bought a VCR/DVD about a year ago. Yes, we still record off TV & still have VHS tapes. Anything new we buy is obviously on DVD.

Yeah, that's basically the way me and my family is as well. We've got 3 TVs in our house (no HDTV plasmas though. Too expensive, and quite honestly, none of us really see the point), 2 of them have VCR/DVD players, so we're just fine using both VHS and DVDs. We are thinking about getting a TiVo or DVR or something along those lines so we have better means of recording our shows, and maybe switching to a Dish company, but that's about it. And since I might be moving out on my own somewhere down the line (maybe a few years or so) I plan on doing the same thing (already have my own TV and VHS/DVD player).

But honestly, I just don't really see the point in upgrading anything outside of just simply being really, really picky. I mean chuck spears at me if you must for saying this, but I really don't see much of a difference in Blu-Ray from typical, standard DVDs. Or in HDTV plasmas from regular, standard TVs for that matter. I really don't. Just because it "looks" and "sounds" better....... Rolling Eyes And honestly, if Blu-Ray players can play DVDs as well, and so can PS3s, then that's even MORE of a reason I find retarded for Blu-Ray to have to take over. Honestly, people are just getting WAY too picky with their media these days. I say as long as it provides you with your basic media needs, who needs all that other crap?
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

But honestly, I just don't really see the point in upgrading anything outside of just simply being really, really picky. I mean chuck spears at me if you must for saying this, but I really don't see much of a difference in Blu-Ray from typical, standard DVDs. Or in HDTV plasmas from regular, standard TVs for that matter. I really don't.

I recently invested in an HDTV plasma (during Christmas actually - it was on sale). To my eyes, anime looks better...then again I was going from a 19" 15 year old tv (the remote control stopped working ages ago) to a 40". The only media I change a lot is my notebook - I get a new notebook every couple of years and pass my old one off to family and friends. I want to get the PS3 but not for the Blue-Ray discs - I really don't see myself purchasing Blue-Ray anime dvds anytime soon. I'm just waiting for a decent game to be released on the PS3 before buying the system.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Re: upgrading, I switched to DVD after the players had been on the market for years, I spent ages transferring what I wanted from 157 (approx) VHS tapes on to the DVD player and recorder I bought, it has an internal hard disc where I stored and edited everything and then transferred to DVD R & RW, the stuff I transferred and kept was not that much of the original runtime of the VHS tapes all together. As for commercial stuff, I repurchased what I wanted to keep that was available on DVD, kept the small number of VHS tapes that I couldn't get on DVD and gave the rest to charity, friends and family. I will get a blu-ray player at some point, but that might be a way off, and it'll be when it is starting to become standard and DVD is actually going the way of VHS most likely, I like the picture quality offered by DVDs and while I did notice and appreciate the difference in picture and sound quality when I got a DVD player, I'm not, for instance, willing to buy a film I don't actually like because it looks and sounds good on the new equipment, blu-ray may well be good, but it feels like a shinier version of DVD (not that that's a bad thing), where DVD improved over VHS in a lot of ways, such as the multiple language tracks, optional subtitles, the inclusion of extras becoming more standard and some like commentary tracks being introduced, Blu-ray is going to offer a better picture and sound, but DVD is already quite beautiful looking (I've been watching X remix today) and I don't feel quite as compelled to upgrade.
FreedomNo1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Haa that was a good one nice Job. Wonders if he knows Hd-Dvd's work on computer's still Xd Keep up the Good work

"Toshiba has indicated that HD DVD sales will continue in laptops beyond March 2008, however. Unlike Blu-Ray, HD DVD burning notebooks are available, giving HD DVD a niche advantage. This is likely to be a short-term measure however, as Sony has announced plans to release Blu-Ray writing notebook drives."

Hmm Cd's in general as a dominant form since we all use Cd's in our computers but the format blu-ray Hd/Dvd will change a lot. Basically were stuck with Cd's till something new comes along like Cd's vs Floppy disks
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6