• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bulma's Emmy Rossum Discusses Live-Action Dragonball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
fighter: As I said before, those franchises do make money, but, at some point, it's no longer the big money.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
fighter: As I said before, those franchises do make money, but, at some point, it's no longer the big money.

True, but you're portraying it like it shouldn't even be making any money, outside of North America or Japan, and even then you're making such a big stink about sales in those parts of the world anyway.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:15 am Reply with quote
fighter:
Quote:
True, but you're portraying it like it shouldn't even be making any money, outside of North America or Japan, and even then you're making such a big stink about sales in those parts of the world anyway.

Well, hopefully the dollar will still be worth something by the time it gets a U.S. release, but we're still technically the biggest market for this stuff right now.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:27 am Reply with quote
Well, until then, I strongly recommend you save your bashing strength for things more deserving of it when the time comes, and not on something such as trivial as this.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
Well the reason I'm bringing up DBZ's current relevance is I still think that, if FOX really wanted to make the adaptation, it should have done so as soon as it got X-Men off the ground. Now it's coming out after another Hollywood Monkey King movie, and after a bunch of recent wuxia movies, and it just looks average as a result. Hell, the studio even hires the guy who could make it work on a budget, and it just gives him a producer's job, while the guy who was only known for some writing gigs on X-Files and that crappy Jet Li clone flick[not to mention some Scream wannabes...] directs. It's like the studio wants it to fail. And it'll be the second easy adaptation Hollywood screws up-the first being Speed Racer, of course.

I guess the reason this whole thing bugs me so much is that I just don't understand the logic behind these decisions. These execs can't be out of touch with what would sell, either, since they've only been adapting comics for nearly a decade now. So the only thing I can conclude is that they've gotten cocky, and think they can apply the PG-13 Marvel style of movies to DBZ, even though the audience is slowly moving on to more mature approaches like 300 and TDK.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And it'll be the second easy adaptation Hollywood screws up-the first being Speed Racer, of course.

Hey, I loved Speed Racer, thank you very much. I grew up on the anime, and thought the Wachowskis did a fantastic job of adapting it for film. What were you expecting, Shakespeare?? Rolling Eyes

Oh wait, I forgot I'm talking to the guy who bashes all things American. My bad.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Hey, I loved Speed Racer, thank you very much. I grew up on the anime, and thought the Wachowskis did a fantastic job of adapting it for film. What were you expecting, Shakespeare?? Rolling Eyes

Howabout something akin that isn't a visual representation of an Acid Trip?
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Prometheus: I was expecting an actual car race, not a debate on big business vs. the little guy. Razz
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Oh wait, I forgot I'm talking to the guy who bashes all things American. My bad.

And 95% of what he says doesn't make any sense either.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Geezuz CRRRIST.

Enough already with the Speed Racer thing. Everyone has opinions about it, it doesn't make you right or wrong. How many threads has this been in now?

>_> so can we just get over it already and move on?
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Edit: I'll just leave this for the anti-Rossum rants.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
>_> so can we just get over it already and move on?

I highly suggest we do just that
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Last time I checked, Dragon Ball was not about fast cars, black leather clothes, sexploitation and petty romances and just overall ricer shit. They've seriously fucked it up big time. I liked this movie better when it was called Ecks Vs. Sever.

And you know what the funny thing is? The funny thing is it sounds like Dragon Ball's plot coming from the synopsis on Wikipedia and other sites, they're just not executing it right.

God help me I actually wish Michael Bay was directing this. It's probably the only franchise he could do justice to.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Last time I checked, Dragon Ball was not about fast cars, black leather clothes, sexploitation and petty romances and just overall ricer shit. They've seriously fucked it up big time. I liked this movie better when it was called Ecks Vs. Sever.

And you know what the funny thing is? The funny thing is it sounds like Dragon Ball's plot coming from the synopsis on Wikipedia and other sites, they're just not executing it right.

God help me I actually wish Michael Bay was directing this. It's probably the only franchise he could do justice to.

Wiki? C'mon. That's the site where ANYONE is capable of editing it...you know?

o_o to be honest, I can't wait until this hell fest ranting is over. We'll all be able to get on with our lives.

PG-13 is a safe rating, because even though we're hardcore fans (17+), then the younger kids...well....

Sexplotation? Heh, didn't Roshi read those perverted magazines? And hit on young women and such? Er, yay Fanservice.

I see no sexplotation, but meh, exaggeration, it never fails.

Oh, don't worry, I know. I'm all over the place with this post.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

Wiki? C'mon. That's the site where ANYONE is capable of editing it...you know?

o_o to be honest, I can't wait until this hell fest ranting is over. We'll all be able to get on with our lives.

PG-13 is a safe rating, because even though we're hardcore fans (17+), then the younger kids...well....

Sexplotation? Heh, didn't Roshi read those perverted magazines? And hit on young women and such? Er, yay Fanservice.

I see no sexplotation, but meh, exaggeration, it never fails.

Oh, don't worry, I know. I'm all over the place with this post.

Nothing on Bay? You fail royally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7