• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
Casey's the type of reviewer who, while I may not always agree with, I always enjoy reading.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:04 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
samuelp wrote:
Zac wrote:
LionessRampant wrote:

Please run this review past a competent editor. The grammatical errors are absolutely ridiculous and some of the sentences just don't make sense.

I edited it and didn't think it was any different from Casey's usual style. I realize people don't like big words nor do they like writing that they perceive as "pretentious" (a claim that gets lobbied at us every single time we publish anything that has words with more than 3 syllables that aren't Japanese) but Casey has her particular style and it reads fine to me.

I missed a couple of small things on my second read-through, though. So I fixed those. Otherwise the lot of you can kindly tuck your Casey-hatin' away and discuss the novel itself.

Except for the fact that the review was of the MANGA.

At least I'm confident that the novel translation will be good.

I'm pretty sure that this comes down to splitting hairs. The review is listed as being for a graphic novel so really it comes down to minor issue of wording. [/i]

Irony is so lost on some people.

I'm pretty sure it's not irony. Verbal irony involves saying one thing but meaning another, and in this case I'm pretty sure what was said is what was intended.

It was triple irony: I was complaining about a small mistake in a post where Zac was complaining about people complaining about small typos in an article that was complaining about editing issues in the book. Definition 2. "incongruity"

at least that's what I was intending. I'm sure Zac got it, he's kind of a master at it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
If this review confirmed your opinion, how about this, and this and this and this?

Wait, I looked at these and... did they move the episodes back into the "right" order rather than leaving them messed around like they're supposed to be?? You know, so that it has the right ending?? I'd like to buy the series one day, but not if they've ruined it!
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
maaya wrote:
If this review confirmed your opinion, how about this, and this and this and this?

Wait, I looked at these and... did they move the episodes back into the "right" order rather than leaving them messed around like they're supposed to be?? You know, so that it has the right ending?? I'd like to buy the series one day, but not if they've ruined it!

The episodes aren't supposed to be "messed up". That was only for the TV broadcast and even in Japan the episodes were released in the chronological order on DVD. The US must be the only country that managed to get the TV broadcast order on DVD as well (the japanese didn't allow it at first), but only in the special edition boxes. So you can get those if you absolutely want it.

Personally I don't see much of a difference, and I like the series just as much in its normal chronological order - in fact today I only watch it like this.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

One of the nice things about DVDs, as opposed to video tapes, is that you can easily watch the episodes in any order you choose. You just have to search around a bit to find the original "in our next episode" segments. So I never understood the complaints about the re-ordering.
FlashFumo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
Being the mega Haruhiist I am I'll probably buy this anyway, but thanks for the heads-up I guess. =P
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:11 am Reply with quote
I still have yet to watch this series on DVD and have in my queue in Netflix since I use that to preview anime that I may have a interest in buying the near. I probably won't buy the manga since it doesn't look like something that would interest me at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:17 am Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:

One of the nice things about DVDs, as opposed to video tapes, is that you can easily watch the episodes in any order you choose. You just have to search around a bit to find the original "in our next episode" segments. So I never understood the complaints about the re-ordering.

Well, it could be considered a misrepresentation; a lot of people (i.e. the majority) aren't as well-informed on Anime as us forum-traulers, so while you can say that it's easy enough just to watch them in order by choosing the right episodes manually, you can only do that if you know that they're supposed to be out-of-order in the first place.
Plus, it is a pain having to keep a mental map of the 'correct' order. When I watched the show on DVD with my friends, we wanted to watch the dub, so we had to use the regular discs (even though I have the special edition) - we watched chronologically, even though we'd prefer broadcast order, because who wants to be swapping discs between every episode when you're hanging out with your friends?

Heheh. When I first watched Haruhi through fansubs prior to its release in the US, I had assumed that the fansubbers were messing up the order in their releases, so I ended up ordering them chronologically myself by renaming the files.
I only found out later that they were supposed to be out of order Laughing
I wonder if anyone else made the same mistake?
BenBrown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
I hate to continue to harp on this even though others have. I'm a fan of Casey's type of writing style, I like big words.

What I didn't understand was the need to use the phrase "convoluted twat" to describe prose. I don't see how relating writing to a vagina makes any sense, other than the opportunity to say something vulgar. In that case may I suggest the word 'shit.' It's a good one.

Also the need to pick out the Japanese specifically when describing poor writing seemed odd. Maybe I'm missing something as I haven't read the GN, but it seems like the entire Japanese writing population is being insulted.

I don't know, maybe I'd just like to call that entire paragraph in Casey's review "tortured, convoluted twat."
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:

Well, it could be considered a misrepresentation; a lot of people (i.e. the majority) aren't as well-informed on Anime as us forum-traulers, so while you can say that it's easy enough just to watch them in order by choosing the right episodes manually, you can only do that if you know that they're supposed to be out-of-order in the first place.

They are not supposed to be out-of-order, so no problem there. If you were supposed to watch them like that, they would have been in this out-of-order way on the Japanese DVDs - and then the Japanese would have allowed for the episodes to be out-of-order on the foreign releases as well.

They did not allow it - so you are not supposed to watch them like that. I think it was only a one time gag.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
If you were supposed to watch them like that, they would have been in this out-of-order way on the Japanese DVDs - and then the Japanese would have allowed for the episodes to be out-of-order on the foreign releases as well.

You can't really blame people for giving weight to the original representation, even in the face of the chronological DVD release.

I was responding as to why people complained, not as to why one or the other was 'correct'; as far as I'm concerned, they're both correct. That's why I specifically said that it 'could' be considered a misrepresentation to put them in chronological order. Smile
Olliff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:
I hate to continue to harp on this even though others have. I'm a fan of Casey's type of writing style, I like big words.

What I didn't understand was the need to use the phrase "convoluted twat" to describe prose. I don't see how relating writing to a vagina makes any sense, other than the opportunity to say something vulgar. In that case may I suggest the word 'shit.' It's a good one.

I don't know, maybe I'd just like to call that entire paragraph in Casey's review "tortured, convoluted twat."

I agree. I enjoyed Casey's writing style. It is very distinct and refreshingly scholarly sounding. This prose does have its drawbacks. such having the ability to only effectively communicate to a smaller audience. There were even a few moments for me when the clarity of th article seem muddied.

Fortunately, the members of the site tend to skew older than other anime site and this style is more appropriate here. I think her review would be received poorly if she tried to post this on MAL or any similar site. I am trying to bash that site, they just has a distinctly different target audience that uses its forums despite both being anime fan sites. Feel free to hit me up on MAL if you wish. Wink

I doubt Casey was using the word twat in the way you described Ben. It also has a alternative definition. It can refer to someone who is incompetent. I also agree that a few of Casey's use of diction was border-line pretentious, such as her usage of wont. However, that didn't keep me from loving her overall style.

I also agree with her judgment of the manga. While I loved the anime adaptation of this series. The manga left me very disappointed. To call it a travesty may be going a bit too far, however; most of what I found enjoyable in the anime is absent in the manga. How the manga handled Kyon's character is a great example. Singlehandedly, the manga's writers managed to transform one of my favorite characters into someone who is mundane and dull. Most of his wit and charm has been sapped away.

I can't wait for your next review. Keep them coming.

Last edited by Olliff on Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote
Earth_Wyrm wrote:
You can't really blame people for giving weight to the original representation, even in the face of the chronological DVD release.

Sure, that wasn't my intention either. But I also remember many many people that were so annoyed at the messed up broadcasting while the show was still on air. Because it was annoying to wait weeks (instead of only one) for the conclusion of a certain chapter. ^^;

Quote:
I was responding as to why people complained, not as to why one or the other was 'correct'; as far as I'm concerned, they're both correct. That's why I specifically said that it 'could' be considered a misrepresentation to put them in chronological order. Smile

I agree. But it's pretty weird to consider what the Japanese publisher does with his own series a misrepresentation. And also the original author didn't use this messed up version ... so if you consider one of them a misrepresentation it should be the tv broadcasting order ^^; At least that seems more logical to me. while of course everybody is free to prefer one version over the other, many are overrating this issue. Like refusing to buy the DVDs if it's not in "original" order ... it just doesn't make sense if you consider how the "original" dvd release looks like.
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:58 am Reply with quote
BenBrown wrote:

I just assumed she meant the word twaddle.

Also, what's wrong with using the word "wont", aside from the fact that some ANN readers are so uneducated that they don't seem to know its a valid word in its own right.
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
A lot of this review focused on Nagaru Tanigawa. He's credited as the "original creator", but did he also write the script for the manga? The review made it sound like he was the one doing all the writing. Just wondering.

Concerning the manga itself, I've already been totally spoiled on KyoAni's darling production values, so I don't think I could swallow it any other way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6