• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: English Dragonball: Evolution Trailer Officially Posted

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I gotta show this to my friends tomorrow, we were already going to make it into a total fail fest when it came out...
bj_waters

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I hate to sound all "let's just chill, guys," but when I heard that Hollywood was doing a Dragonball movie, I KNEW they were going to screw with it. So I let my expectations be at the bottom of the barrel. After I saw the trailer, I figured I was on the right track.

Don't get me wrong; I'm actually excited to see this movie, mostly because I want to see just how badly Hollywood has screwed with it. Also, it's Chow Yun Fat, and it'll be worth seeing him in something like this (and I don't think it is beneath him to act perverted, but that's just me).

I say, let's just kick back and have fun with it. Hollywood knows there is something to this anime thing (See: Transformers, the new Akira & Robotech promises, and so on) and they're going to have their take on it for better or for worse. Being realistic about this only gives more to really enjoy something like this, even if the movies absolutely sucks. We'll just make fun of Hollywood if they do, and that's always fun, right?
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I have no problem that the narrative isn't exactly what Toriyama created. Because honestly, I've played/watched/read that same story atleast 50 times, and it would be nice to see something new.

That said, this movie should atleast try to capture DragonBall's essence in terms of an naive, innocent, happy go-lucky, confident Goku, and for heck's sake, it should be comedic.

To be fair though, I laughed a bit when that "Sk8er Boi" got kicked in the face.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I am going to see this movie and I am going to laugh during the whole thing. It looks like it's going to be one of the worst movies of all time and I want to take part in the colossal failure I'm sure it will be.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
I never watched DB or DBZ growing up and have zero emotional investment in the franchise, but I gotta say ...

[b]this trailer really didn't look all that bad! Shocked
You are the demographic they are making this for,enjoy.

Ignorance is bliss.I say that because I really wish I could see it from your,and most other posters on here,points of view.Unfortunately I own all 508 episodes and all 17 DBZ movies.If you had been a fan since 1986,you would understand what we older otaku are whining about.We've waited for so long for a project like this,and we get DragonBall Evolution. Great.High-five.

Acinom wrote:
Honestly, I'm not that hardcore of a DB fan. The series itself is enjoyable but nothing all that special.
You can say this all day long now a days.You have more that a handful of anime titles to watch and choose from.We didn't have this option in the 80's.Dragonball did what others didn't,at the time.It was very sought after Japanese animation.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
To be fair: this is a pretty snazzy trailer. I guess the first things that popped into my head were:

Will this movie be STUPID? YES.

Will this movie be fun to watch anyway? PROBABLY.

Does this look like a movie based on Dragon Ball Z? NO.

Seriously, it just looks like a dumb, fun martial arts movie. (Isn't "Evolution" in the list of most overused stupid subtitles?) Nothing more, nothing less. It bears little to no resemblance to Dragon Ball Z, sadly. Goku doesn't act like Goku, this Roshi doesn't remind me of Roshi, even Bulma's a step off. I mean, those characters were a little stereotyped, but they weren't these particular stereotypes. Here we have the typical coming-of-age "tough kid," typical wizened master, and typical femme fatale. Goku and Roshi weren't like that, and Bulma wasn't quite that flat. Piccolo isn't green either. You might think that's a nitpick, but think about it. The only reason they would do this is to avoid making him look too ridiculous. IT'S ALREADY RIDICULOUS! But they're trying to make a melodramatic martial arts movie, so the green's gotta go. This may be passable entertainment. But it isn't Dragon Ball Z. Which is a shame. I'd be happy to see a really dumb DBZ movie, but if you took the names out of this and the shot of the dragonball itself, I never would have mistaken this for a DBZ movie. Rolling Eyes
EdoRocksMySocks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually surprised at how well the trailer looked. D: I'm not a fan of Dragonball myself even though I saw a majority of the episodes about a decade ago, but I think this movie will be interesting.

I mean, I didn't expect much out of it. When it comes to an adaptation of any anime/manga series, you can't be completely faithful to the original. If you were, you would run into storyplots that can't be finished in a single movie setting. Not to mention, this is an American adaptation - there hasn't ever been a single anime adapted movie (by Americans, that is) that's pleased both the hardcore fans and new incoming fans. I have to accept what Fox has given us.

Personally, I really enjoyed the trailer. I will probably go see it just because I know the characters and it's always interesting to see how others view anime styled movies (while in the theatre).

(And it's interesting to read comments too mainly because (and I'm not saying it happened in this thread) but sometimes people complain that the characters don't look anything like the original and they get all bent out of shape. (I've seen this on another forum when talking about the Dragonball movie) But when it comes to the Japanese adaptations, such as Death Note, when the characters don't look anything like their anime counterparts (minus clothing), it's okay because it's from Japan. Anyone else notice that? : D)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Ghstmtrx wrote:
Well, the movie looks fine to me. Not sure about the story but if this is supposed to be stand-alone then it should be fine.

I think the movie will do really well, considering I know alot of people who used to watch DBZ and are not anime fans who will prolly find it worth there time. And I am sure alot of us will go watch it, although whether we enjoy it or not is another story.

I do agree with Goku's character though, he should be more like the anime.

And I also agree this can't be worse than Dead or Alive.

I agree the movie will probably do well. I understand they need to change a few things to make the jump to live-action film, but I have some huge problems here. This is everything wrong with Hollywood. They did all the same things to Transformers, DoA, Mario Bros, and every other anime/video game/cartoon they ravaged. They changed too much and turned it into generic crap.

When I was in high school 8 years ago, someone was pestering me about the shows I watched. I said I didn't watch a lot of TV, but I thought Dragonball Z was pretty cool. "that's so gay!!" was his ever creative and witty response as he laughed like a coked-out mental patient. This movie was made for him. Not for longtime DB/DBZ fans. I have a problem with that, the same problem I have with Transformers (2007). This is a blatant and rather personal insult to those who actually really like the product.

I've been watching DBZ since around the first year they showed the old Pioneer/Ocean Group dub on Sunday morning at 8. The material was strong enough and I was young enough, it was quite enjoyable. This movie's existence is offense to me, and it's inevitable success more so.

My only silver-lining hope here is this... We got Spider-man movies (which were comparatively good actually) but it brought us the outstanding Spectacular Spider-man cartoon. We got the crude Transformers movie (2007) and got the excellent (if somewhat goofy) Transformers Animated. Maybe this will cause them to redo DBZ/DB from the beginning and clean up the plot holes, and animation, or even find new stories to tell.
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Will this film be any good? I sincerley doubt it, but then we may all be proved one. Remembering of course that not one of us has seen anything but the trailer we are all basing our assumptions on two things:-
a) how it looked
b) the Speed Racer fiasco.

Granted, this does not look nearly as bad as Speed Racer did, but then that isn't exactly saying much.
However there is one final point I would like to made regarding the use of animes as source material for Hollywood, and my point is this.
Someone needs to go round to houses of the studio executives and slap them stupid. Their entire mindset on what kind of anime might make a good film is determined by one basic question. That question being "has anybody heard of it in the West?"
Considering there very few animes out there with any kind of real penetration in America, the list of animes which your average director could turn into a million dollar blockbuster is limited to say the very least. Pokemon? Naruto? Not much to go on really is there?
How about one of them takes a risk, a gamble if you will. How about they seacrh through the endless back catalogues of animes and find one that only proper fans over here has heard of.
Say they got Joss Weadon to do 'Haruhi Suzumiya' or 'Birdy The Mighty: Decode'. What about 'Now and Then, Here and There', Haibane Renmei, or 'His and Her Circumstances'. GTO, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Last Exile, there are so many.
Okay, rant over.
Barciad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Will this film be any good? I sincerley doubt it, but then we may all be proved one. Remembering of course that not one of us has seen anything but the trailer we are all basing our assumptions on two things:-
a) how it looked
b) the Speed Racer fiasco.

Granted, this does not look nearly as bad as Speed Racer did, but then that isn't exactly saying much.
However there is one final point I would like to made regarding the use of animes as source material for Hollywood, and my point is this.
Someone needs to go round to houses of the studio executives and slap them stupid. Their entire mindset on what kind of anime might make a good film is determined by one basic question. That question being "has anybody heard of it in the West?"
Considering there very few animes out there with any kind of real penetration in America, the list of animes which your average director could turn into a million dollar blockbuster is limited to say the very least. Pokemon? Naruto? Not much to go on really is there?
How about one of them takes a risk, a gamble if you will. How about they seacrh through the endless back catalogues of animes and find one that only proper fans over here has heard of.
Say they got Joss Weadon to do 'Haruhi Suzumiya' or 'Birdy The Mighty: Decode'. What about 'Now and Then, Here and There', Haibane Renmei, or 'His and Her Circumstances'. GTO, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Last Exile, Cowboy Bebop, even Code Geass (but only the basic premise. No cheese and no robots etc. Just a good old solid cross between 'V for Vendetta' and 'Kind Hearts and Coronets'), there are so many.
Okay, rant over.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
nagashi wrote:
I'm shocked. It looked significantly less awful than I expected. Not good, but less awful than expected.

Yeah, the effects looked okay ... but got a definite Speed Racer vibe off the trailer. Will just have to wait till April to see if that's a good thing or not.

RedHotFunk wrote:
Is it just me, or are they just using the phrase evolution as an excuse to have artistic license (aka, go on a big tangent from what dragonball really was).

Nope, that is my guess on the subtitle too (unless it is only for the "international" releases.)
KDRudy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Yow, that looks as bad as expected. Talk about a movie that should not have been attempted. Too bad Hollywood can't resist trying
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
umm... wow. what the hell was that? i mean i expected it to be bad, but seriously i could barely even sit through that trailer.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
LunarianWarrior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. Might watch it. It might be kind of good but the trailer wasn't as good as I'd expect it to be to attract us DB fans.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote
This movie will undoubtably to me be bad but completely awesome! Don't care if it's different from the original. It's gonna be fun. But I guess no one cares about that anymore Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14