• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:
Danganronpa 3: Future Arc: 2 / 5. Well, needed warning: don't watch this series unless you've played Danganronpa 2 or it will make no sense, even if you watched the first Danganronpa anime.

Well, that sucks. I thought the director used the second game being a self-contained narrative as the justification for not adapting it, so this is a little disheartening. I mean, I'm still going to watch the new season(s) despite not playing the games, but it sounds like I'll be lost.
Yeah, without having played/watched/knowing the story of Danganronpa 2, you will be lost from the second DR3 starts. It's kinda a shame that DR2 didn't get an anime for the people who haven't played the game, but that's what the Steam release and YouTube playthroughs are for.

Anyways while I really liked the first episode, I found the first death to be a bit too predictable. Maybe because the anime is going at a much faster pace than the games, but at less than halfway through the episode I could tell who was going to die, so it lacked a some of the tension of the previous entries.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:34 pm Reply with quote
About the Poll:

So both Arcs of Danganronpa 3 are considered as a single entry in the Poll? Interesting...

terminus24 wrote:
Yeah, without having played/watched/knowing the story of Danganronpa 2, you will be lost from the second DR3 starts. It's kinda a shame that DR2 didn't get an anime for the people who haven't played the game, but that's what the Steam release and YouTube playthroughs are for.

Earlier this year, the franchise's writer, Kodaka Kazutaka, tweeted on why there isn't, and probably ever will be, a Danganronpa 2 anime.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
^ This must have been what I was thinking of. Very strange rationale. Sure, the characters' stories may have ended, but if knowledge of the second game's events is a prerequisite for understanding D3, I can't see the harm in producing an anime adaptation. I initially took his comments to mean the second game had no significant impact on the franchise's overarching plot, but it seems that's far from the case.
Muffum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Danganronpa 3 Future - I'm kind of coming into this from a weird position, since I'm familiar with the games but never bothered with the first anime. So if any of my problems with this were also present in that, I wouldn't know about it. That said, this episode kind of left me cold. My interest in Danganronpa having waned over time probably has something to do with it, but none of the new characters really interested me, and Monokuma's line about "Falling into a rut? No, it's a classic!" just kind of drove home how samey this felt to me. Hopefully Despair arc interests me more, since the set-up there sounds promising (plus I prefer the DR2 cast in general). 2.5/5

That said, Despair arc is the only premiere left for me, and it basically makes up an entire DR3 anime with Future arc, so I'm not sure it really counts. Meaning it's time to talk about what I'll actually bother watching this season, I guess.

Love Live Sunshine, sweetness and lightning, and Planetarian are the biggest definites for me right now. The former two had second episodes that built upon the strength of their premieres, leaving me with high hopes for what else they have in store. I'm not as invested in Planetarian, but it still had a strong first episode, and it's only five episodes, so it won't hurt to stick around until the end.

I'll likely continue with Amanchu, New Game, and Regalia until the end, though I might end up dissuaded in the next few episodes. Amanchu and New Game both seem like shows that'd be good for unwinding, so the real question will end up being how much of that I'll need this upcoming season. Regalia, meanwhile, has both a much higher potential ceiling and much lower potential floor than either of those two due to its premise and the presentation of its first episode.

Danganronpa 3 Future is in a weird place for me due to its relationship with the Despair arc, so I guess whether I'll continue with either of them depends on how the premiere for that ends up.

Meanwhile, Active Raid and Taboo Tattoo look like the likely drops this season, but I'll give them another episode or two (since I've already unceremoniously dropped everything else I watched but am not talking about here). Season 1 of Active Raid feels like it was enough Active Raid for a lifetime, but I'll watch another couple episodes to see if it can end up wowing me this go-around. Meanwhile Taboo Tattoo had an aggressively bad second episode with all the first episode's flaws made even worse and none of the interesting fight scenes. At this point for it, I'm watching in hopes that there won't be more pure set-up episodes like this, and there'll be a ton more fights down the line.

And of course I have Jojo part 4, Macross Delta, and Re:Zero continuing from last season, even if recent events in Re:Zero have made me consider dropping it.

Hameyadea wrote:
About the Poll:

So both Arcs of Danganronpa 3 are considered as a single entry in the Poll? Interesting...

This is likely due to a statement from Kodaka that the two series are intended to be watched concurrently as they both air. I assume this also means that if it gets voted in, the same reviewer (most likely Jacob?) will cover both of them.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
justsomeaccount wrote:
Danganronpa 3: Future Arc: 2 / 5. Well, needed warning: don't watch this series unless you've played Danganronpa 2 or it will make no sense, even if you watched the first Danganronpa anime.

Well, that sucks. I thought the director used the second game being a self-contained narrative as the justification for not adapting it, so this is a little disheartening. I mean, I'm still going to watch the new season(s) despite not playing the games, but it sounds like I'll be lost.

If you don't want to play the game, you can probably skip to the last arc in a let's play and get the gist of the story. If that's too much for you, let's see if I can cover the major synopsis in a spoiler tag. WARNING: MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR Danganronpa 2. Read at your own discretion.

spoiler[I'm going to cover this in chronological order, rather than revelation order. Junko had a large posse of people helping her and, well, basically worshiping her. These are the Remnants of Despair, and the ones were at Hope's Peak Academy turn out to be the protagonists of Danganronpa 2.

Hope's Peak had a sort of feeder school for people who didn't get in, and the main character of Danganronpa 2 was one of those. He elected to undergo an experimental procedure to transfer the personality of a former graduate of Hope's Peak who had died, and the result turned him into someone who lacked empathy. After meeting with Junko, he basically helps instigate the disaster in the first place.

Outside of Hope's Peak during the course of the first game, a group of people decided to challenge Junko, and these people are the Future Foundation. Due to the situation in Hope's Peak being broadcast, they were the people to meet the survivors after they escape at the end of the first game/anime, and induct the members.

At some point later, Makoto Naegi comes across the protagonists. Rather than killing them, as the Future Foundation has ordered him to do, he hides their existence from the foundation and instead gets them to agree to an experimental mind-reprogramming simulation. It turns out that Alter Ego survived, and Alter Ego is responsible for ensuring that it goes smoothly--but one of the Remnants of Despair smuggles in an AI version of Junko as a virus, and that turns the simulation into yet another killing game. In the climax, the virus is purged, and the surviving members agree to stay in the simulation rather than return to the real world.

Somewhere along the line, the Future Foundation figured out what Naegi was doing, and they're supremely pissed at it, which leads to the confrontation at Episode 1.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Nice accurate sumup except this part:

Pidgeot18 wrote:

spoiler[In the climax, the virus is purged, and the surviving members agree to stay in the simulation rather than return to the real world.
]

This almost happens, but thankfully spoiler[the leader of the Remnants of Despair decides to forge ahead toward the FUTURE! and breaks the game from the inside out, allowing them to escape the simulation and retain their cured selves in the real world. We don't know how much about their simulation adventure they do or don't remember, or if they're able to save any of their friends who were murdered in the game, but they do get out of the simulation world to live out their lives on the real-world island.] Kodaka has explicitly said that he doesn't want people to know too many things for sure about their futures beyond that ambiguous hopeful ending, but we'll learn all about their pasts in the Despair Arc of the show.
iatheia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
@VoidWitch
True objectivity, in science? Eeeeeeeh. Works for some things, but far from everything. Every human has their own biases, depending on their background, and scientists are only human. It is worth remembering that eugenics were thought about once as an example of true scientific objectivity. And even in less extreme cases, more often than not, two scientists can look at the same data and come up with two disparagingly different opinions about it. The reason for this is that we have only a small window into the universe, and often times it is impossible to obtain any more conclusive data, sometimes not for decades or even centuries, so all that is left to us is conjecture. And even if we can come up with a "perfect experiment", there are still a number of things that can go wrong. Eventually, we do hope that we might come up with something resembling a truth, but the process it takes us in getting there is equally important.
And to the fact that science requires a "cold-hearted" approach, there is a perfect quote by David Hilbert, who was a mathematician. Upon hearing that his student dropped out to study poetry, he said "Good, he did not have enough imagination to become a mathematician." I'd apply that to all sciences.

@Pidgeot18
spoiler[They agreed to stay on the island, not in the simulation, with their memories of the simulation mostly erased, looking after those that are unable to wake up. Also, pretty sure it had nothing to do with a personality transplant of any kind, just an extensive brain surgery. The name was mostly symbolic.]

Anyway, I don't know how I feel about the new DR3. On one hand, HYPE. On the other hand, I spent most of the episode wondering where Togami was, if they are even going to mention him or not. I understand why Fukawa might not be there, but he doesn't have her excuse. It doesn't quite feel like it follows directly from DR2, otherwise why are they not holding Kirigiri or Togami to the same standard they they are applying to Naegi.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho 100: Love the art and animation all around. The music is very effective, if less distinctive. Also, I like Reigen already, and I'm intrigued by Mob, and I get the feeling I'll really like them in the future together. That gets to my main issue, though, which is that this first episode definitely has more potential for the series to come than great quality here and now, although it is of a high caliber. With more fleshing out of Mob's personality and more time for character dynamics, this could turn into something great. 4-4.5/5.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:

Anyway, I don't know how I feel about the new DR3. On one hand, HYPE. On the other hand, I spent most of the episode wondering where Togami was, if they are even going to mention him or not. I understand why Fukawa might not be there, but he doesn't have her excuse. It doesn't quite feel like it follows directly from DR2, otherwise why are they not holding Kirigiri or Togami to the same standard they they are applying to Naegi.

Those two are off having adventures in Ultra Despair Girls, which happens shortly before or slightly concurrent with this show. So they may show up later, but right now they're getting harangued by a bunch of psychopathic toddlers in another city.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Very weird to see both the butt-chin gag (what is ONE's fixation on this??) and the spoon bending in Mob Psycho 100 the day after seeing them in Saiki K. As for MP100, all I can say is the seiyuu did very well, and it was epilepticly stimulating visually. It wasn't particularly funny, and if Mob doesn't wise up fast, it will become intolerable. For me that's not a fun scenario. At least Saitama doesn't cheat Genos on a regular basis or even claim to be worthy of being his mentor.

I checked out the second episode of First Love Monster to see if it got any better. It didn't. It was worse. It was much, much worse. I notice that Nick even dropped his score from 4 to 2, based on what he learned of the manga I guess? That would normally be anathema to me, but in this case, it's for the best.

I keep wondering why this has such a stellar cast, and all I can come up with is blackmail and/or an expensive experiment that they can throw as much utter shit on the plate as they can think of and as long as there are cute guys up front and idol seiyuu backing them up, the fangirls will buy it. God help us if they're right.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho 100 was everything I was hoping for this season and it was even more, can't love this first episode enough. I'm especially having fun reading people's expectations of where the story is going, and honestly if I didn't know the manga before I might have had similar opinions based on this first episode alone.

iatheia wrote:
@VoidWitch
True objectivity, in science? Eeeeeeeh. Works for some things, but far from everything. Every human has their own biases, depending on their background, and scientists are only human. It is worth remembering that eugenics were thought about once as an example of true scientific objectivity. And even in less extreme cases, more often than not, two scientists can look at the same data and come up with two disparagingly different opinions about it. The reason for this is that we have only a small window into the universe, and often times it is impossible to obtain any more conclusive data, sometimes not for decades or even centuries, so all that is left to us is conjecture. And even if we can come up with a "perfect experiment", there are still a number of things that can go wrong. Eventually, we do hope that we might come up with something resembling a truth, but the process it takes us in getting there is equally important.
And to the fact that science requires a "cold-hearted" approach, there is a perfect quote by David Hilbert, who was a mathematician. Upon hearing that his student dropped out to study poetry, he said "Good, he did not have enough imagination to become a mathematician." I'd apply that to all sciences.

Kinda what I meant. But I believe that they tried to say something more akin to "Don't make art look as boring as they make look science", the common conception of "cold-hearted" science is pretty much alive and kicking. And I agree, don't make science look boring, nor try to make art boring either.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the Danganronpa 2 rundown! I feel a lot better about diving into D3 now.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
This almost happens, but thankfully spoiler[the leader of the Remnants of Despair decides to forge ahead toward the FUTURE! and breaks the game from the inside out, allowing them to escape the simulation and retain their cured selves in the real world. We don't know how much about their simulation adventure they do or don't remember, or if they're able to save any of their friends who were murdered in the game, but they do get out of the simulation world to live out their lives on the real-world island.] Kodaka has explicitly said that he doesn't want people to know too many things for sure about their futures beyond that ambiguous hopeful ending, but we'll learn all about their pasts in the Despair Arc of the show.

Yeah, you're right. I was mixing it up with my headcanon being that spoiler[the Dangan Island segment actually happens, being their second attempt at trying to revive the died-in-the-game people by playing the game properly.] In any case, from the quotes of Kodaka, it seems that my flubbing of that bit won't actually matter for the Future bit.
terminus24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
iatheia wrote:

Those two are off having adventures in Ultra Despair Girls, which happens shortly before or slightly concurrent with this show. So they may show up later, but right now they're getting harangued by a bunch of psychopathic toddlers in another city.
UDG actually finished a while before DR2, so at the very least, Togami should be available. I'm hoping we see some connections to UDG in this series, such as spoiler[more of the Warriors of Hope (or at the very least, Junko 2.0, aka Monaca as one of the main villains)] and a resolution to spoiler[what actually happened to Makoto's parents].
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Mob Psycho 100's art style is ugly-on-purpose, but it's still really ugly. The most attractive named character was Reigen, and that's not saying much. I like how the show lampshaded this by having Mob see vegetable heads on all the girls in his class except the one he had a crush on (who was cute, but not yet named). The *animation* is amazing, though. The OP was really trippy. Not sure how much I got out of the plot/characters yet. Reigen is hovering around "obnoxious," but maybe he has some reasons that might humanize him--like maybe he *was* a really powerful exorcist who lost his powers somehow, or he's the least powerful black sheep in an exorcist family trying to prove he can do it anyway? He's a bad mentor, but he's not completely awful to Mob (he did buy food for the kid, even if he spent less on it than he did his own meal).
Mob himself is a cypher, a really naïve boy who hasn't expressed any extreme emotions yet. That intrigues me. But in terms of character designs, at least One Punch Man had Genos fanservice!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 40