• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freezespell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:09 am Reply with quote
It's been a few weeks since I commented on this show so I guess I'll put my two cents in.

The first season was just awesome. Watching it has pretty much made this show one of my all-time favorite anime series. There were a few things that really didn't set well with me (like the 2nd opening theme, it sucked balls), but outside of that, I really had fun watching season one from start to finish. Originally, the first season made my expectations for season two very high but I got to reading the last few posts and they're pretty much saying that I could be disappointed if I set them too high. Well, they could be right and they could be wrong but personally, it's too early to tell at this point.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first episode of the new season and it did feel like the first episode of season 1 with what had happened but I plan on taking this one episode at a time so I won't try to get too far ahead of the whole thing, but based on the new opening and the events of the first episode of season 2, I think I might have an idea as to what to expect this season.

spoiler[I am not completely ruling out any kind of romantic relationship between Ohgi and Villetta that could develop even though the events of the last two episodes of season one say that I should.]

spoiler[The reason that Calares is the new viceroy for Area 11 is probably because Cornelia was KIA during the Black Rebellion. I didn't see her at all in the opening montage, but instead I saw some young girl with pink hair that could be Cornelia and Euphemia's little sister. Also, why do you think that Guilford was frowning in that scene with Calares and the Chinese Federation?]

spoiler[The Chinese Federation will play a major role in season two and this faction could be a big wild card in this season since I don't know too much about them other than involvement with helping the old government of Japan launch an assault on Britannia last season. That Xingke guy is a good swordsman. Let's see how well he can pilot one of those giant robots that they have.]

spoiler[If Suzaku wasn't the most hated man among the Elevens in season one, he will be this season when he comes back to settle the score with Zero. The Eleven population will not be pleased with a "traitor" fighting alongside an oppressive Empire. He will eventually be killed by someone we would probably think of being the last person that would kill Suzaku.]

spoiler[The Emperor of Britannia will obtain Geass from making a contract with somebody, maybe V2. I couldn't begin to say what V2 did with Nunnally but I'm sure he will form some kind of alliance with Britannia to compliment C2's alliance with the Black Knights and Nunnally could be used as some kind of bargaining chip with the rebels.]

From what I've seen so far, this new season looks promising. I can't wait to see what happens next.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:33 am Reply with quote
freezespell wrote:
spoiler[...but instead I saw some young girl with pink hair that could be Cornelia and Euphemia's little sister.]

Okay, that girl is called spoiler[Anya. She is a Knight of Rounds, and you can see her at 22:29 (of R2 episode one) alongside Suzaku.] As to what her part is in the plot, I cannot say (spoilers).
braves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote
Pfft. This entire episode was pathetic. I don't care that Sunrise wanted to bring in new fans. This episode made it seem as if the entire first season was pointless. What a waste of time. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Servant of the Path

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I can understand that, especially if you expected the beginning to be equally exciting, picking right up without any interruptions and using all the previous momentum from the get go. In fact, that's exactly what the staff originally planned, but other circumstances got in the way of their intentions.

Like dtm42 mentioned, the start of R2 was structured in such a way as to introduce the show to a new audience in a different time slot, several months later. That might not be a justification, from a personal perspective, but it is all factual context that's worth keeping in mind.

I didn't really have any problems with the first episode. I thought it was all pretty shocking but I can certainly accept that what happened after the last episode ended is a mystery that will be revealed in time. That's not to say that I wasn't expecting it to pick up exactly where the previous episode had left-off but I think the approach they've taken is a perfectly legitimate way to tell the story. In fact, I genuinely enjoy the irony we're presented with; as we enter episode one we're just as ignorant of what transpired after the previous episode spoiler[as is Lelouch]. I suppose if they're going to invoke a cliche like amnesia they may as well do it interestingly. Let's face it, though, amnesia has played a rather large part in the story all throughout. However, it's infuriating just knowing that the quality of a show this good may have been compromised for such a foolish reason as the one provided above. For that alone heads should roll at Sunrise. Now I can only hope the explanation provided by the creators as to how/why the characters begin as they do in this first episode isn't just as foolish.
cmd598

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't understand the general hate for the first few episodes of R2, I thought they were pretty good, especially compared to the rest of R2.

Anyway, I personally think the differences between the first season and R2 are summed up by saying that it's like watching a UC Gundam OAV and then watching Gundam Seed Destiny. It just feels so disconnected that it might as well be it's own alternate universe.

spoiler[Lulu in particular seems to act WAY out of character at times specifically starting with Rolo's death. For someone who was basically been built up to be a villain protagonist sliding ever further into evil, the sudden lol nice guy all along had me raging and geassing large quantities of individuals seemingly for the sake of convenience wasn't very much like him either. And don't get me started on Charles and Marianne...I really almost stopped watching it there... I also think that Kallen got shafted in the character development department since she spent a very large portion of the series literally sitting on her ass.]

spoiler[The militaristic side of me rages loudly at the apparent shafting seemingly competent conventional forces received in R2...the nations of the world apparently have never heard of anti-aircraft weapons for poorly armed flying mechs flying at roughly helicopter speeds to be such a threat and resorting to a tiny line of old mechs with handheld cannons for artillery is just ugh, especially when it's already been established that Britannia had heavy long range rocket based artillery and a fully functional conventional blue water navy and all it's long range goodies as well as what appeared to be an F-22 comparable stealth fighter probably armed with beyond visual range capable anti-air missiles. This is of course referring to R2 before they totally threw out all pretense of realism with uber hax mechs that probably should have torn themselves apart with their absurd acceleration. And I forgot to mention the mechs that are barely two people tall, honestly if it weren't for the cockpit they'd be powered armor, armed with beam cannons that can one shot huge warships.]

Last edited by cmd598 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
MironBiron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I've just seen episode 17 of R1 and I think it's a good anime, but just not that special... IMO it doesn't deserve all the hype it gets right now..

Code Geass R1 has a good, moving story, interesting plottwists and lots of different story/character developments BUT I didn't see anything too tense, beautiful or epic so I don't think it should me mentioned next to Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell etc.
cmd598

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
MironBiron wrote:
I've just seen episode 17 of R1 and I think it's a good anime, but just not that special... IMO it doesn't deserve all the hype it gets right now..

Code Geass R1 has a good, moving story, interesting plottwists and lots of different story/character developments BUT I didn't see anything too tense, beautiful or epic so I don't think it should me mentioned next to Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Ghost in the Shell etc.

It was certainly no masterpiece, but it was still pretty good. It's not every day that you see an alt-history British spawned old school absolute monarchial empire with a seemingly half-way competent very near future conventional army that also happens to make fairly well thought out use of very small mechs and was never burdened with the MAD doctrine and Cold War thanks to never inventing nukes. That's really what sucked me in, the alt-history. Sadly, none of it's doubtlessly interesting history was ever really expounded upon...and general military competency and realism decided to take a leap off of a tall building in R2.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
cmd598 wrote:
I honestly don't understand the general hate for the first few episodes of R2, I thought they were pretty good, especially compared to the rest of R2.

I don't actually hate them either, but it's still completely understandable why the new setup would be disappointing.

Quote:

Anyway, I personally think the differences between the first season and R2 are summed up by saying that it's like watching a UC Gundam OAV and then watching Gundam Seed Destiny. It just feels so disconnected that it might as well be it's own alternate universe.

I disagree with this comparison myself, both in letter and in spirit. If anything, for all its flaws R2 ultimately works out better when considered a part of Code Geass -or, more accurately, Lelouch's story- as a whole. In my experience, at least.

For me, the alternate history angle was always background material. I didn't expect realism either, since the show already had resorted to quite a few impossibilities and over the top elements, whose use R2 increased in questionable ways but didn't introduce.

That's the way I see it, but once again I'd rather not discuss all the details so soon.

MironBiron wrote:

It doesn't, but then again for me all hype is almost always undeserved, to a greater or lesser degree, and different groups of viewers will certainly have different opinions.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Late to the party on R2- just saw Ep. 1 now.

I had a .jpg once that perfectly described situations like this. Alas, I lost it in a hard drive crash. But I went out and found some replacements. This is the best of them:

Seriously, I know there was heavy meddling by the network, but is this the best they could do? Everything Zero had worked for over the first season gone? His little brother comes out of nowhere? Memory Loss? And the mood whiplash, ho boy.... Let's see, a pitched battle for the city of Tokyo, an insane cyborg on a rampage, Lelouche and Kallen in a standoff against Suzaku, Nunally's fate uncertain, and Nina holding the city hostage with a nuclear bomb. And we go from that to a redo of the first episode of R1 with Villetta incongruously inserted as a teacher at Ashford and no damned explanations for anything. That annoyed me when Blood+ did it, and then it was pretty mild- the outcome could only have been one thing, and not getting to see the fight itself was just minor. But we still never got to see what happened. If we don't get some resolution to some of those things at some point, I am going to be extremely P.O.ed.

*ahem*

Sorry, don't like to play the ranting fanboy, but sometimes no other response is appropriate.

(BTW, if anyone knows where that first pic was, PM me a link. It was a manga girl, I think in a maid costume, saying the same thing as above while pointing at a computer screen.)[/img]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
On another note, isn't episode 2 supposed to be on Adult Swim's video streaming site by now?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
If we don't get some resolution to some of those things at some point, I am going to be extremely P.O.ed.

Dude, we're over this. We've accepted it and we're watching [Code Geass] now. And having a great time doing so, whether it jives with your woe is us mentality or not, okay? Your griping is boring.

Ha. I've been waiting to do that since page thirty-two.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
On another note, isn't episode 2 supposed to be on Adult Swim's video streaming site by now?

Apparently there won't be a new episode of Code Geass R2 this week, given the changes to Adult Swim's schedule.

In short, expect a rerun of the first episode.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
In case anyone else missed the schedule change:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-11-05/adult-swim-updates-weekend-tv-schedule
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
BellosTheMighty wrote:
If we don't get some resolution to some of those things at some point, I am going to be extremely P.O.ed.

Dude, we're over this. We've accepted it and we're watching [Code Geass] now. And having a great time doing so, whether it jives with your woe is us mentality or not, okay? Your griping is boring.

Ha. I've been waiting to do that since page thirty-two.

Look, I was whining, true, but at least I wasn't trying to start a fi... oh, forget it. *Trudeau salute*
joshuafer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:05 am Reply with quote
I was wondering WTF was goin on. spoiler[I wonder if Cornelia is still alive and kicking, and what happened to that chick with the knightmare frame/bomb thing ? I wonder where Nunnally is.] So many questions unanswered. Also, it would seem spoiler[ Kallen survived, somehow. She kicked some serious ass, too, probably really easy to kick like that in a bunny suit, haha. Interesting that the silver haired girl is now a teacher.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 60