• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Project A-ko

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
kaizen-dono wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
I still think C-Ko should be dropped off a cliff. A high one.

I couldn't decide if she was more annoying in Japanese or english.

The English VA for her in the first movie sounds like somebody who could play Sally in a community theater's production of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Project A-Ko was the first anime that made me want to seek out anime.

Mine was probably either Urusei Yatsura or Lupin or both.

Quote:
My mind raced. What kind of cartoon has nudity in it? The mystery of it, and the sheer foreignness of it all was as attractive as it being forbidden.

I probably was more interested in the unique title and/or the "genki" chick on the cover who seemed to convince me that I'd get a lot of action and adventure from this movie.

Quote:
Robin's friend had bought a bootleg copy at the local comic convention and happily loaned it to us.

I'm surprised anyone would consider A-ko bootleg-worthy, as it's mostly geeky superheroine stuff, and not really the kind of "cool" stuff you share with friends and acquaintances.

Quote:
Why were all the songs in English? Were they dubbed?

Yeah, I wondered about that myself.

Quote:
And what was with the strange speech patterns and constant breathless run-on sentences?

Nah, I was actually fine with that stuff.

Quote:
I thought it was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen... but I couldn't stop watching it!

Fortunately, you were finally able to stop with the sequels. [Well, that second series, anyway.] Rolling Eyes

Quote:
As they introduce themselves to the class, C-ko catches the fancy of B-ko, a spoiled rich girl. She wants C-ko... maniacally.

To my knowledge, this would be the first "mainstream" anime with yuri undertones. But I could be wrong. I always found it weird that the writers would brush it off as a "just friends" kind of thing at times, though. It always seemed like they couldn't decide the relationship of the characters.

Quote:
While most Americans would only get a handful of the jokes and references, the show somehow maintains enough inherent weirdness to rise above being a simple parody.

I never really embraced the parody aspect of the anime most of the time, even when I "got" the references. It always seemed like it was playing the material too straight for the humour to catch on with the viewer. It's not necessarily a bad approach, but it was trying to have it both ways.

Anyway, you might want to mention the anime's legacy. For example, Nabeshin would still be working the hentai circuit, if it weren't for A-Ko, since this sucker's style is pretty much the template for how most contemporary parody anime is done. Plus, I'd say just about every anime heroine who kicks ass[particularly Nuku Nuku] has the same mannerisms as A-Ko. Oh, and A-Ko set the stage for the smoother animation we have nowadays, since before that, anime tended to still be stuck in "1 frame/per second" hell, even in the 80s, when they had the money to make it look more expressive. Even Miyazaki didn't start showing this kind of energy in his work until about Porco Rosso.

Of course, some might cite Daicon as the pioneer of this style of anime. But to me, it's just fan-fiction, while A-ko encompasses the definitive aspects of the genre which existed then, while paving the way for those which would exist in the future. I doubt you'd be seeing Gunbuster and Nadia if not for A-ko.

rti:

Quote:
BTW, possibly some of the best extras included in a DVD.

Yeah, CPM really knew how to deliver on extras. Crying or Very sad

AWO:
Quote:
But that said, I'm hesitant to call Project A-Ko "the FLCL of the 80s," though maybe I should consider doing so if it means more people would consider watching it.

Nah, that wouldn't be fair, since A-Ko had some originality. Rolling Eyes

zrdb:
Quote:
Moral of the story-if you see something that you want-or might think you want-get it when the opportunity presents it's self or forever hold your peace.

Yeah, I still regret holding off on the Baoh dvd. Sad

abruli:
Quote:
Those short space scenes share the best space battles -award with Macross: DYRL.

I actually think A-Ko has the better space battles, since it doesn't just come out as a shinier version of Macross like DYRL.

bj: True, C-ko sucks; but she's still refreshing, next to the moe-generation of anime girls who act spaced out all the time.

Everyname:
Quote:
I can't see why anyone would want to rewatch it for anything other the occasional brilliant animation that Justin praised in his review. I wonder if I would have liked Project A-ko, and other old school "classics," if I also had to endure dark, stuffy rooms with other unwashed fans to watch it, or track down information on what was being parodied on USENET, or if I had begged my parents to rent a copy of it while hiding the large "CONTAINS NUDITY" sticker.

Well, the thing is, nowadays, you can watch a lot of titles like A-ko, because it's so influential. But back then, it really stood out from other animation.
michellebaby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Omg was my reaction to first watching this back in the day. I would have to say this was the one series that hyped my ani obsession and appreciation for crazy ass anime on the same level as this. Top moments that i absolutely loved in this move was 1) crazy bondage wiping b-ko vs a-ko near the end and 2) ako hoping off missiles to get to the ship...that part had me like serious wtf?

bad moments: c-ko, dub version and all the tranny looking characters lol
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:35 am Reply with quote
Wow this is kind of creepy...some taped-from-HBO copy of Nausicaa..err...Warriors of the Wind, as it were, that a friend of my fathers loaned me, was the first anime I ever saw as well.

Project A-ko was one of the next, I remember seeing it ages ago when Sci-Fi used to show anime movies on Saturday afternoons and thinking 'okay I'll give this a shot'. I watched it and the whole time I'm like... what in god's name is this...but it was so crazily awesome that I eventually stopped worrying about trying to make sense of it and just enjoyed it =P

After seeing that, then Sailor Moon and a few other shows, I couldn't get enough and was an anime fan for life!

Last edited by Relairknight on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:10 am Reply with quote
Ah, A-ko. Not the first anime I'd seen. I've been watching anime since the first time Astroboy was broadcast in the US. I've been watching anime for longer than most anime fans have been alive. A-ko will always be my favorite, even after Lain and Haibane Renmei and Akira and all the other wonderful productions. It was the first anime I rented. It was the first Japanese entertainment I had encountered that wasn't Americanized. The tape I rented was subbed. To this day, I hesitate to watch any dub. Dubs are never as good, and I don't want to hear your arguments. You can take that to the bank. Besides being its own kind of wonderful, it had one thing that the early Sixties broadcasts lacked: Japanese. There is something about the sound of that language that just entrances me. I can listen to Japanese people speaking, and it thrills me like the complicated melodies of Beethoven or the rousing choruses of Gilbert & Sullivan. Watching A-ko in the original vernacular, and reading the subtitles, forced my brain into a kind of concentration that I usually reserved for reading a great novel or my own writing or drawing. I had to glue my mind to the screen. I absorbed that movie and took it into my being. And, like others writing here, it made me hungry for more anime. I quickly rented out everything that the store had, and went looking for more. I was just getting into the internet then, in the days when my 14.4kb [that's baud, not byte, kids] was the fastest connection in town, downloading A-ko images and even the first of the AMVs from Delphi (anybody here remember Delphi, with that UNIX file server interface? No? Am I due for the home?) I still have all that stuff on my Amiga floppy disks. A-ko has become such a archetype that it's been lampooned by American shows (one that I'm struggling to remember is a couple of friends entering a video store on a quest and the girl snidely remarking that the best they have is a couple of dusty copies of Project A-ko--was that in Free Enterprise? If you remember what that was, please note it here or I'll spend all night searching the net for it.) I don't know if there would be an American anime market without A-ko. The reminiscence of the article pretty much sums up all the reasons, except that, in comparison to any American cartoon fare, A-ko was what we would have seen had Tex Avery been reborn in Japan, and had been channeling Ralph Bakshi during production. No anime collection should be without Project A-ko.
Bill Ames

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Back when this series was first released in Japan it was on CAV Laser disks. Because of this you could access any content on the disk as a single image. This allowed special content to be put on the LD that could only be seen by going to that particular frame. The LD player had the ability to address these frames by number so it was rather easy to see these single frames if you knew where to look. Why back then a friend and I published a fan newsletter “Japanese Animation news and Review” and had an anime fan club “Hokubei Anime-kai” to which we provided copies of our newsletter. One of the contributors to the newsletter provided a comprehensive list of this hidden content. I have a feeling that this material is not accessible on DVDs as a DVD is not accessible frame by frame. Perhaps if I have some time I could do a frame grab (assuming my LD player still works) of these scenes, however I would not really know where to post them.

Billa
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Bill Ames wrote:
Back when this series was first released in Japan it was on CAV Laser disks. Because of this you could access any content on the disk as a single image. This allowed special content to be put on the LD that could only be seen by going to that particular frame. .... I have a feeling that this material is not accessible on DVDs as a DVD is not accessible frame by frame.
Billa

On the DVD players I have owned, I could not address frames by number, but could move to a particular time in HH:MM:SS format, and then step through frames forward or backward, one by one. Usually. So I can look through those sequences of "different image each frame" that occasionally appear.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Ah, A-ko. Not the first anime I'd seen. I've been watching anime since the first time Astroboy was broadcast in the US. I've been watching anime for longer than most anime fans have been alive. A-ko will always be my favorite, even after Lain and Haibane Renmei and Akira and all the other wonderful productions. It was the first anime I rented. It was the first Japanese entertainment I had encountered that wasn't Americanized. The tape I rented was subbed. To this day, I hesitate to watch any dub. Dubs are never as good, and I don't want to hear your arguments. You can take that to the bank. Besides being its own kind of wonderful, it had one thing that the early Sixties broadcasts lacked: Japanese. There is something about the sound of that language that just entrances me. I can listen to Japanese people speaking, and it thrills me like the complicated melodies of Beethoven or the rousing choruses of Gilbert & Sullivan.

As pretty a speech as that was, that sounds like borderline you-know-what to me.

I won't complain about anything, I loved this absurdly destructive gal-fight so much back on Sci-Fi. The English dub was great for its time (come on, Denica Fairman as B-ko people!) and I taped it to keep my memory of it perserved. Quite possibly one of my first anime too! =D
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Isn't A-ko the result of Superman and Wonder Woman having a child?

I vaguely recall this from Sci-Fi Channel's Saturday Anime lineup.

There is a thinly-veiled reference to this at the end of the first A-ko movie as you catch a brief glimpse of her parents.

It couldn't be too obvious, however, as there could have been the risk of DC Comics filing a copyright infringement lawsuit.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Ah, A-ko. Not the first anime I'd seen. I've been watching anime since the first time Astroboy was broadcast in the US. I've been watching anime for longer than most anime fans have been alive. A-ko will always be my favorite, even after Lain and Haibane Renmei and Akira and all the other wonderful productions. It was the first anime I rented. It was the first Japanese entertainment I had encountered that wasn't Americanized. The tape I rented was subbed. To this day, I hesitate to watch any dub. Dubs are never as good, and I don't want to hear your arguments. You can take that to the bank. Besides being its own kind of wonderful, it had one thing that the early Sixties broadcasts lacked: Japanese. There is something about the sound of that language that just entrances me. I can listen to Japanese people speaking, and it thrills me like the complicated melodies of Beethoven or the rousing choruses of Gilbert & Sullivan. Watching A-ko in the original vernacular, and reading the subtitles, forced my brain into a kind of concentration that I usually reserved for reading a great novel or my own writing or drawing. I had to glue my mind to the screen. I absorbed that movie and took it into my being. And, like others writing here, it made me hungry for more anime. I quickly rented out everything that the store had, and went looking for more. I was just getting into the internet then, in the days when my 14.4kb [that's baud, not byte, kids] was the fastest connection in town, downloading A-ko images and even the first of the AMVs from Delphi (anybody here remember Delphi, with that UNIX file server interface? No? Am I due for the home?) I still have all that stuff on my Amiga floppy disks. A-ko has become such a archetype that it's been lampooned by American shows (one that I'm struggling to remember is a couple of friends entering a video store on a quest and the girl snidely remarking that the best they have is a couple of dusty copies of Project A-ko--was that in Free Enterprise? If you remember what that was, please note it here or I'll spend all night searching the net for it.) I don't know if there would be an American anime market without A-ko. The reminiscence of the article pretty much sums up all the reasons, except that, in comparison to any American cartoon fare, A-ko was what we would have seen had Tex Avery been reborn in Japan, and had been channeling Ralph Bakshi during production. No anime collection should be without Project A-ko.

Ya wanna bet you're the only one here that's been watching anime longer than most of the readers have been alive? I also remember those 2 shows you mention-although I kinda hated them-I much prefered Loony Toons with Bugs Bunny, the Road Runner, etc. to stuff like Astroturd and Gicraptor. I like old style anime but I still watch a lot of new stuff-probally about 75% new and 25% old stuff-nothing can beat Kimagure Orange Road or Maison Ikkoku in my book, but still things like Ef-a tale of melodies or Rosario no Vampire are good too-bring on Project A-ko and the Dirty Pair!!
Bill Ames

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Anyone here a fan of Doctor Slump? Now that's real anime! Very Happy

However I think the Ako series was done almost for fun. I enjoyed it

Billa
jmtech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This has too be one of the first import videos that really hooked me on Anime. Back in the day we watched our Anime raw, not many commercial subs or dubs. I remember renting a 2nd gen copy of the import Project A-ko on VHS. If you wanted to rent the original tape, you had to put down a sizable deposit. Import Anime on VHS sold for over $100 back in 1987. Take a trip down memory lane, note the original prices on the last column:

http://ohkami.sakura.ne.jp/meta-ovalist.htm

I still have one of the first fansubs on VHS, it was Bubble Gum Crisis subbed by Group Santa Cruz. Before the subs we would download a rough translation or a synopsis on the usenet. You guys are so lucky to have your Anime any way you want it these days.

I still have boxes of video tapes I recorded by tapping off the video feed of the monthly Anime club meetings.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I used to have Project-Ako. I bought it cheap, as a blind buy, because I had heard that all the old school fans seemed to like it. I didn't get it, didn't like it, and I sold it.

I still have a couple of sets of cards that CPM put out, that have a few A-ko cards in it though...
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Bill Ames wrote:
Anyone here a fan of Doctor Slump? Now that's real anime! Very Happy

However I think the Ako series was done almost for fun. I enjoyed it

Billa

I often felt there's a lesson in Ako that the American animation industry has yet to grasp at all yet, namely that we need to make stuff that we may enjoy to make rather than what 'others' insist would sell.

jmtech wrote:
This has too be one of the first import videos that really hooked me on Anime. Back in the day we watched our Anime raw, not many commercial subs or dubs.

I almost want to live in that era myself when things were new and only a few guys ever knew about this stuff! That was the highlight of exploring a new thing.

Quote:
I remember renting a 2nd gen copy of the import Project A-ko on VHS. If you wanted to rent the original tape, you had to put down a sizable deposit. Import Anime on VHS sold for over $100 back in 1987.

Sad but true. This is why tape-trading became SO GODDAMN IMPORTANT!

sorry, I felt I had to scream that out to those of the younger persuasion who may not yet appreciate the efforts of those that came before. Wink

Quote:
Take a trip down memory lane, note the original prices on the last column:

http://ohkami.sakura.ne.jp/meta-ovalist.htm

That's a cool list!

Quote:
I still have one of the first fansubs on VHS, it was Bubble Gum Crisis subbed by Group Santa Cruz. Before the subs we would download a rough translation or a synopsis on the usenet. You guys are so lucky to have your Anime any way you want it these days.

"...that outta hold them li'l SOB's!" Laughing

Quote:
I still have boxes of video tapes I recorded by tapping off the video feed of the monthly Anime club meetings.

Glad you kept them!

Aizen-chan wrote:
I used to have Project-Ako. I bought it cheap, as a blind buy, because I had heard that all the old school fans seemed to like it. I didn't get it, didn't like it, and I sold it.

Shame if you didn't enjoy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5