• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Commercial Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There could've been more of it, but I'm glad there wasn't, because that's not what the series is about

That's my problem with the first animated series.
The manga has many themes and events and developments going on at the same time, in a way that you could thing that it isn't focused enough on the Elric brothers, but only if you only look at few chapters, and not at the manga as a whole.

I read volumes 13 and 14 again, today, and it's just great, simple like that.

Tastes are tastes and to each his/her own, but let's just admit it: Arakawa is the one who created the characters and their world, and she is doing a damn good job so far (I read up to volume 19, I'm buying the Italian publications -I collect the scanlations too, but I read the Italian version first-).

As I said, I still think the old anime is a masterpiece, but let's look at the real meaning of the world masterpiece for a moment.
Masterpiece=best work made in a predetermined context

That said, in my opinion the first FMA is a masterpiece in the context of the fantasy/drama Japanese TV series, but not a masterpiece in the Fullmetal Alchemist context itself, where I instead think that the manga is the masterpiece (if the ending will be as good as the rest, at least).

Of course, the new series must be well-made to become a masterpiece among animation too, it isn't like that it will only because it will closely follow the manga, this time around.

What I and many fan of the manga think, though, is that the chances that the new series will be a masterpiece are really high, since even if they changed direct is still Bones doing it (admittedly one of the best Japanese animation studios), the new composer is a skilled one, the art seems good (even if it follows the manga style more and some people could not like it) and we'll have the same seiyuu for the two main roles too!

At this point, imho, it's also pointless to still talking about the first series: it's long finished, with all its pros and cons.

I won't forget it, but I want to look to the future series, now. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
RhymesWithEmpty wrote:
Tons of explanation about Dante's predicament has already been done in this thread, and I find it all very acceptable. I actually like what little we see of Dante's character - she's a person who has been twisted by the ravages of time and filled with delusions of grandeur, even while she's incredibly defendant on all of her servants. I really like that depiction, because usually when you have a character who has lived hundreds of years, you get someone more like Hoenheim, or some wisened elves in whichever fantasy book who are usually so infallible, it's sickening. I think Dante provides a great foil to this. And I think it's a bit more realistic, too, but that's just me.

She's been corrupted, she's rather incompetent compared to Hoenheim, she knows that creating the philosopher's stone also results in death. spoiler[Hoenheim would've died had she not transferred his soul to another body, and Scar, well, he obviously did die.] That seems to be the other ingredient to the stone - lots and lots of souls, and the body of the person enacting the transmutation. We basically learn as much from Scar's brother. Obviously, Dante isn't going to sacrifice herself like that, so she has to create all of these complex plans to trick another alchemist into doing her dirty work for her.

But it's not like that's all she was doing, either - she's also got complete control of what seems to be the most powerful government in their world, making her the most powerful person in the world. No small feat. Which means she had to create Pride, the only aging homunculi, which was likely a significant task. I will say it's a shame they didn't delve into that more like in the manga, but, to be fair, the manga hadn't even reached that point yet. That's just another thing to look forward to in this new series, though! Anyways - she also had to collect/create the rest of her little homunculi army, then deal with Greed's little rebellion - y'know, I'd love to hear more story behind that incident as well. And all the while she's waging wars and trying to lure in suitable alchemists - training Izumi was probably part of that plan. She might have taken on several other apprentices before Izumi as well. Point is, she wasn't just sitting around doing nothing the whole time.

And I never saw Ed and Rose as having any romantic tension between them, except at the very end, which was very obviously just a part of Dante's plot, seeing as she had a firm grip on Rose's mind at the time. No doubt she thought it would be great fun to seduce one of Hoenheim's sons. Ed even stops Rose and is essentially like, "the hell are you doing?" And I seem to be the only person who actually did feel a fair amount of romantic tension between Ed and Winry throughout the series. There could've been more of it, but I'm glad there wasn't, because that's not what the series is about. It's nice to have as a little side dish in the manga, but it's harder to work into the show, I think.

Whether or not homunculi have souls is very much open to debate, and is debated in the show itself, which is something I love about it. Really, it's one of the big philosophical questions of the series - what is a soul? How can you define it in order to put it into an equation? That's a problem Ed and Al encounter right off the bat, obviously. Personally, I like Lust's theory, that homunculi spoiler[are in fact the people who were being resurrected, they're merely an incomplete product. So while they're missing the person's soul, they do have their memories, which obviously affect the actions they take and leads to them developing their own personalities.] Who's to say that, at some point during this process, they don't develop souls of their own? It makes sense to me, and it explains quite a bit. The whole ideology behind souls is very fluid anyways - it's nothing we have an answer to, so we are free to search out our own answers, which is what the original series wants us to do, I think. I just hope this new series is just as thought provoking, because, while the manga is absolutely wonderful, it would also be very easy to just dumb it down to pure action. I've got faith in studio BONES, though.

I like the parallel world thing, I thought it added even more depth to the show - they may not have explained it so well as to dispel all questions about it, obviously, but they gave a general explanation that worked for their purposes, I think. To be honest, they really didn't give themselves enough time to explain it, seeing as it came at the climax of the show, which also happened to be the second to last episode, heh. And that's where it should've been, I think. But if they had taken more time just to explain the specifics, it would've disrupted the climax and thrown off the pacing of it all. They could've explained it more in the movie, but I guess they wanted to keep it rather mystical. Which makes sense, I mean, spoiler[if Hoenheim is just barely able to make sense of it, it's not likely that we're going to have a bunch of scientific facts about it. Traveling between the 2 universes is unprecedented until he does it, as far as we know, and Dante doesn't even really know what she's done to him, just that she's separated his body and soul,] so there's not really any way for us to canonically obtain the information anyways. All we really need to know is that there is some kind of flow of energy(which we are told is beyond our understanding enough to make it a significant theme of the show), or of "souls," between the two universes, and the energy that reaches Ed's universe from the other side of the gate is used for transmutation. If anything, I think it was smart to incorporate that sense of mysticism about it all in the movie, I found it to be a very good fit.

Man, I'm way too long winded when discussing FMA, heh. The walls of text symbolize my love! Razz *bricked*

The memories must come from the souls in the anime as its the only answer that makes sense, Al has no body in the anime, his memories coming from the Soul that is attached to the blood seal in the armor.

Since it would be insane to think that someone could resurrect a body right down to their memories without even using the body in the first place then the only logical place for the memories would be the soul itself.

As for the parallel worlds it was nothing more than an idiotic plot twist that comes out of nowhere other than to provide shock value, has no bearing on the plot in a positive manner, and frequently includes idiotic ideas like the Nazi's invading Amestris in what is supposedly our world ruining the willingly suspension of disbelief that the Nazi's could invade another dimension and no one knowing about it, and the ending which just pissed off a lot of people with how unneccesary it was.

You just can't take your plot in an entirely different direction and just say "its mystical its supposed to be mysterious so I don't have to explain anything"

Theirs a reason that a lot of people don't like the movie
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I found some unofficial translations of all the interviews.
Read them without much fear of spoilers, I already checked and they are almost spoiler-free, except some names of characters not appeared in the first series and some manga-only battles spoiler[(Roy vs Lust and Ed/Ling vs Envy inside Glottony)]: http://csakuras.livejournal.com/487991.html?view=2965303#t2965303

There are some interesting info, for example it seems that the anime a more faithful manga adaptation this time, but it'll still have some differences (maybe some novels' plot or special manga chapter animated?), and that Al will be like in the manga: more independent from Ed, they'll share 50%-50% the "main protagonist" role. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
That's my problem with the first animated series.
The manga has many themes and events and developments going on at the same time, in a way that you could thing that it isn't focused enough on the Elric brothers, but only if you only look at few chapters, and not at the manga as a whole.

I read volumes 13 and 14 again, today, and it's just great, simple like that.

I agree that the manga has done a wonderful job of balancing these more specific developments, and it certainly gets into them more than the anime, but I think that's just the advantage of it being in the manga format. That kind of thing happens whenever you transfer things from one media format to another. No doubt working all of these things into a 24 minute episode is very different from working it into a volume of manga. The anime gets the pro of being able to actually breathe life into the characters, but it is much more restricted in what it can actually show, so they have to pick and choose, lest they end up dragging it out however many extra episodes and destroy the pacing in the process. And that, of course, affects the budget and everything else. Personally, I think they made very wise choices in that regard.

And I think it's a bit silly to put those kind of restrictions on the term "masterpiece" - it's all subjective anyways. It's art. Hiromu Arakawa is the original creator, yes, and I love her for it, but I'll always view the original series as a completely legitimate version of the Fullmetal Alchemist world, and a masterpiece, as well. And so far, the manga is, too. Neither is more legitimate than the other, in my mind. Or more significant than the other, either.

It does seem kind of pointless to be rambling on about the 1st series - admittedly, I've been thinking that myself while writing these behemoth posts, heh. But discussing the new series in light of the old one is the only way we really can discuss it, so far. I think noting the difference between the 1st anime and the manga has spurred some interesting discussion, at least. Helps to bring to light what we're hoping they achieve with this 2nd series. That, and we can only discuss how great it is that the original VAs are reprising their roles for so long, heh.

Charred Knight wrote:
The memories must come from the souls in the anime as its the only answer that makes sense, Al has no body in the anime, his memories coming from the Soul that is attached to the blood seal in the armor.

The way I interpret it, the memories of the homunculi came from the people who were trying to resurrect them. In every case where you have them discussing their memories(pretty much just Lust and Sloth), that makes perfect sense. "I was an ishballan woman, deep in love" - of course that's what Lust remembers, it was her lover who tried to resurrect her. Sloth, in the mean time, remembers being spoiler[a mother] - that one's even more self explanatory. Even with Wrath, the only thing that seems to evoke some distant memory within him is a baby's cry, which certainly relates back to spoiler[Izumi] and her traumatic experiences.

Al's case is different. Ed wasn't trying to bring his soul back, he was merely transferring it to the suit of armor, although the question of whether or not Al's "soul" is just made up of Ed's memories does come up. It's pretty well proven that that's not the case for Al, but I think it's still very plausible for the homunculi. So perhaps all of the homunculi had some portion of a soul, if we're defining it as having memories, though not necessarily their own.

As for the parallel universes and the movie, it just seems like a difference in opinion at this point. The original series was never a series that answered all of the questions people had to ask - some people like it that way, some people don't. I'm sure many people didn't like the movie, but a lot of people also obviously did, myself included. Eh, that's life.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
At the end is just a matter of tastes, RhymesWithEmpty, but I'm pretty sure my interpretation of what a "masterpiece" is accurate enough.

After all, its definition is:
1. An outstanding work of art or craft. (checked)
2. The greatest work, as of an artist. Also called masterwork. (if we look at the director or BONES as a whole, I think that the first FMA series could be their best work, so far)
3. Something superlative of its kind: (hell not, if we look at things "of its kind" I think the manga is much better... if you don't consider "of its kind" referring to other anime only, instead of other official adaptations of FMA, at least)

Anyway it's pointless keep talking of the old series vs the manga, on another hand I would like to hear yours (and others') opinions about the interviews.

P.S. There are anime that can deal with more characters and themes than what FMA is doing even in its manga version.
Ever watched Legend of Galactic Heroes for example, Monster or The Twelve Kingdoms? Wink
cnav

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
the only thing i want is more fma..let it be the continuation of the movie or an adaptation of the manga...lets give this new fma a chance to get popular. the 2003-04 fma is history now..i just cant wait to see characters like ling , ranfan pride etc..in an anime..i have high hopes from this show..
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:44 am Reply with quote
So we are getting 4 posters?

Consdering how awesome the first two are, I can't wait to see what they have next.

Hopefully this will just be a fairly straight adaptation, and it will be interesting to see what we get, and if they do veer off a little bit lets hope its for things Arakawa did like those small books that had small storylines like Hughes and Mustang during Ishval, and more Gaiden I especially want "Tales of the Master"
cnav

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:17 am Reply with quote
i want the new series to follow the manga...but the introduction of sumthns little bit different from the manga will do a lot good in keepin the manga loyal people hooked to their television sets. (if the whole thing is narrated as in the manga , there is a possibility that many people get bored ),which can lead to low trps. its just my point of view..
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
If you read the interviews I linked, you would know that it will be a more faithful adaptation of the manga this time, but it will still have some original material (maybe from novels or manga special chapters/omake?).

Anyway, I'm really, really happy of how the new director seems to understand what FMA is about. Smile
Tsuppi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
AMAZING! Thank you for the link to the interviews, Sariachan! The other link in this thread 'bout the FMAnalyst looked interesting as well. Very Happy

I am personally PUMPED for this new adapatation! I got chills for about half an hour after seeing the oh-so-short trailer....

I'm also sorry I can't quite engage in the debate side of this thread; don't even really know who Dante is. This one never bothered to watch the anime past Episode 25 or so (even though Episode 21 or so had me virtually writhing on the ground with shock at the twists). I tried rewatching the '03-'04 BONES production of FMA recently, but just the filler episodes prior to ~Episode 20 were difficult to stomach. The newer Hagaren chapters coming out have me reading that amazing manga then looking at the anime and... disliking how it was changed by BONES. That difficult attitude that demands near-perfect faithfulness to the source material is really tricky, so seeing such a large deviation in what should have been canon creates instant repulsion. It's difficult, but maybe I should give the anime a chance?

In any case, this different take on the manga looks to be absolutely amazing! Studio D, "don't die!" Surprised we're counting on you~
cnav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:18 am Reply with quote
i just hope that it just not get licensed before its aired ..coz there is no access to anime dvds in a place where i live. and funimation channel doesnt even load here..their service is not active in INDIA.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
Aaah, late response from me - shopping for laptops is distracting @.@

There are many ways to interpret the term "masterpiece," as evidenced by the fact that you posted 3 separate definitions, not 3 requirements something must fulfill to become a masterpiece. We could get into the pedantics of the last definition, but honestly, even though I've been arguing on the side of the anime a lot, I don't really feel compelled to choose a favorite between them, and it's all subjective anyways, so I'm perfectly happy to call them both masterpieces in their own rights Very Happy

And yeah, the anime vs. manga discussion has run its course for now. Although this news of slight differences to the manga even with this new series has me wondering what they're planning - definitely can't wait to get more news on that! It could be a very good thing or a very bad thing, but, hey, they didn't disappoint me the 1st time around, so I'm hopeful Smile

I don't doubt there are many other series that have a lot more side stuff being brought into the spotlight to great affect than FMA - I can think of a few I've seen myself - but different shows have different priorities, and I think they prioritized the original series right. That said, I do hope this new show has a different set of priorities, and I think it will, thanks to the even wider array of interesting characters it presents that pretty much demand it. Doesn't mean one will be fundamentally better or worse than the other, they'll just be different.

The biggest piece of info I got from those interviews, aside from there still being some differences from the manga, is that Ed and Al will be sharing the main character "role" 50/50. I had figured that anyways, but it's still cool to have it confirmed, especially since Al is one of my favorite characters, if not my favorite.

I don't know how I feel about their wanting to create a "soft" look for the series...I guess I can't really judge it until I see more of it.

Good find on those interviews! Very Happy

@Tsuppi - I know it can be hard to watch something that so far deviates from the source material that you love, but I'd definitely say it's worth it to watch the anime all the way through. I'm saying that as a huge fan of both. It becomes invariably different from the manga, yes, but it's not as if it's because they did a poor job of interpreting the manga or anything - it's an intentional alternate ending(or, well, ok, entire 2nd season), and, rest assured, it is very well done. I suppose they could've just pulled a Bleach and invented their own filler arcs while waiting for Hiromu Arakawa to pump out more manga, but I don't think anybody would've wanted that Razz And yeah, the filler near the beginning of the show isn't the best, but filler is rarely spectacular, and it is in no way a reflection on the rest of the show. You could just skip it if you really wanted to. The rest of the show makes up for it tenfold, imo.

@cnav - well, I wouldn't expect funimation to wait too long before licensing this. Honestly, I'm expecting them to jump on it asap, and would be shocked if they didn't. It sucks that you're in that kind of situation, though. Hopefully it won't take too long to reach you, one way or another.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cnav

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 am Reply with quote
i hope it does reach me as soon as possible...but neewayzz. i really wanna see the various fight scenes(in fma manga) in the new anime..I've seen so many people who like naruto and bleach more than fma just because the first series didn't have many fight sequences in it..now thats what i call saaaaaddd..
Sariachan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Tsuppi, a friend of mine is in the opposite situation than you: she only watched the anime, and she can't get into the manga... and she doesn't know what she is missing. -__-'

I suggest you to see the anime, but as it was a really good fanfiction, non canon material, This way, you could be able to appreciate it, maybe.
Don't watch the movie though, in my opinion it was up to the TV series, and less than that to the manga itself.

About Al sharing more the main character role, I'm really happy as well, since my two favourite characters of the manga are both Ed and Al. I like Winry a lot too, and I bet she'll be a lot more present in this second anime, since it'll follow the manga more closely. ^^

P.S. I'm a bit a Narutard myself, and I like Bleach a little too (I only watched the anime of the latter), but imho the FMA manga, and even the first anime, are on a whole another level. Wink
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of curious about the few people I've seen mention not enjoying the "filler" in the first half of the original anime series, because to the best of my knowledge, there wasn't a single episode in the entire series that didn't have at least some tidbit of information related to the main plot. Hell, even the fantastic comic-relief that was episode 37 had at least one scene in it that had rather large implications down the line. I'd love to know where people are getting this idea of "filler" in those early episodes, since as far as I'm concerned, there isn't a single one that could be skipped without detrimentally affecting one's understanding of some later event or another.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8