• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-03-06]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:39 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Frankly, I think people are a little delusional about what it takes for something to be a big mainstream hit. The only thing on the horizon that has a shot at all is Soul Eater and I think it will be at most a mild success. I'm sure it will do okay what with all the usual shounen stuff. However, it strikes me as hitting a bad medium. It's not really faux-dark or pretend-deep enough for kids to think it's all edgy like Death Note. I think it may be just a little too out there and lose a bit of it's more standard mainstream appeal.

Hey, Tom Bodette's apparently heard of anime. And it's really funny to hear the word "anime" in the middle of a Motel 6 commercial.

The thing about a lot of hits is no one expects it so, yeah, Soul Eater looks like the next big possibility, but I really don't know. It just doesn't seem as accessible as InuYasha or Bleach & those even don't seem to touch Pokemon or YuGiOh for ultimate size (anime/manga/snuff) Pokemon & YuGiOh appealed to kids as well as guilty pleasures for older fans

ikillchicken wrote:

I agree though, if there is one thing American animation does well and anime doesn't it's comedy. I'm sure some people will disagree but as far as I'm concerned, Japanese humor isn't funny. It's far too much generic repetitive jokes and slapstick. I'll take the likes of Spongebob, the Simpsons, Southpark, Futurama, the Boondocks, Clone High, Harvey Birdman, the Venture Bros, Sealab 2021 or even Family Guy over any anime comedy.

I like a lot of anime humor, particularly the dark stuff. Not that any animated humor title can touch the really good live stuff. I find Spongebob too grating for words. Simpsons is probably the best you named, though it is getting rather long in the tooth. There's too much "miss" to get to the "hits" in South Park. Futurama can't touch the sci-fi spoofs that came before.
But bottom line is if you don't get Japanese humor, you don't get it. Nothing bad. British humor is hit & miss for me. When it's hit, it's incredible, but the miss is just plain stupid.
russ869

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:42 am Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
I'm not looking for anything serious when I watch yugioh, and I don't expect more than what it delivers.

It's kind of disappointing that ever since that "Abridged Series" no one seems to enjoy Yuugiou for anything other than to laugh at it. It's not really any different from any other Shonen Jump series like Naruto or Yuu Yuu Hakusho. It's basically just a fighting manga where the fights aren't fought with the characters fists; they're fought with games as a battle of wits.

I don't like reading Yuugiou because I like card games; I like it because it has cool characters and a genuinely gripping story (the stakes just keep rising, like Death Note).
l2EV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
xia83 wrote:
What is Zac doing nowadays anyway?

I still work here. I just don't write Answerman anymore.

Whaaat? Zac is not THE Answerman anymore? It's a conspiracy I tell you! I mean, I appreciate Brian's tackle on the column itself (who doesn't love hand-drawn bunnies?), but I thought it was only temporary.

Well, I guess this definitely means more getting use to. But yeah, cheers to the insightful work you put up all these years! Okay guys, let's move on out to the next show!

- l2EV
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
I agree though, if there is one thing American animation does well and anime doesn't it's comedy. I'm sure some people will disagree but as far as I'm concerned, Japanese humor isn't funny. It's far too much generic repetitive jokes and slapstick. I'll take the likes of Spongebob, the Simpsons, Southpark, Futurama, the Boondocks, Clone High, Harvey Birdman, the Venture Bros, Sealab 2021 or even Family Guy over any anime comedy.

I like a lot of anime humor, particularly the dark stuff. Not that any animated humor title can touch the really good live stuff. I find Spongebob too grating for words. Simpsons is probably the best you named, though it is getting rather long in the tooth. There's too much "miss" to get to the "hits" in South Park. Futurama can't touch the sci-fi spoofs that came before.
But bottom line is if you don't get Japanese humor, you don't get it.
Nothing bad. British humor is hit & miss for me. When it's hit, it's incredible, but the miss is just plain stupid.

I don't know about that. In my experience there just doesn't seem to be much to get. That's the problem. There are a handful of very simple running jokes and they are repeated over and over with next to no variation. Character says something stupid, other character hits him with something. Character says something strange, other characters fall over with their legs in the air. Character falls, inexplicably lands amongst other character's massive breasts. I know American comedy has it's own share of repetitive jokes (Homer does/says something stupid) but at least there is some variation there. There's room for it to happen in a creative or especially funny way. These Japanese slapstick gags are so simplistic and interchangeable though that it's just the exact same thing every time. I agree with you 100% on the Simpsons. It's one of the most consistently funny shows of all times. It's begun to slump in the last little while though. You should try and give Spongebob a chance though. Admittedly it's a bit high energy at times but beneath that it's actually often quite clever.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
You should try and give Spongebob a chance though. Admittedly it's a bit high energy at times but beneath that it's actually often quite clever.

(SpongeBob jumps inside a mailbox. As he tries to relax, the radio is cutting out)

SpongeBob: (over walkie-talkie) Say again, deputy?

Patrick: The maniac is in the mailbox!

(screaming like a girl, SpongeBob pokes his arms and legs through the mailbox and runs through buildings and a fence)

Classic. Thanks for the general transcript go out to this website.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:45 am Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:

Vampire Knight ain't that great, and the only ones who like it are fangirls, it's the same with Twilight, it may seem popular, but only among the fangirls who want a guy like Edward.

Like bishounen fangirls.... Laughing

Youkai Warrior wrote:

Practically everyone I've met at college hate Twilight, and if people are gonna write about vampires, they need to do research. Vampires don't sparkle in the sunlight!

I've never encountered that concept before too, but from what I heard from vampire mythologists, that concept may have stemmed from the Ancient Egyption mythology of the undead. Neutral

Besides, it's not like anime haven't violated so many regular vampire mythologies before. People just take something standard and add new spins to it, to give it a bit of a unique look.

ikillchicken wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

But bottom line is if you don't get Japanese humor, you don't get it.
Nothing bad. British humor is hit & miss for me. When it's hit, it's incredible, but the miss is just plain stupid.

I don't know about that. In my experience there just doesn't seem to be much to get. That's the problem. There are a handful of very simple running jokes and they are repeated over and over with next to no variation. Character says something stupid, other character hits him with something. Character says something strange, other characters fall over with their legs in the air. Character falls, inexplicably lands amongst other character's massive breasts. I know American comedy has it's own share of repetitive jokes (Homer does/says something stupid) but at least there is some variation there. There's room for it to happen in a creative or especially funny way. These Japanese slapstick gags are so simplistic and interchangeable though that it's just the exact same thing every time. I agree with you 100% on the Simpsons. It's one of the most consistently funny shows of all times. It's begun to slump in the last little while though. You should try and give Spongebob a chance though. Admittedly it's a bit high energy at times but beneath that it's actually often quite clever.

The way I generalize the type of humor a side of the pond currently specializes: Japanese do situational humor, Americans do satirical humor. Americans used to do more situational humor too, back in the 50s and 60s like The Honeymooners and I Dream of Jeannie.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:55 am Reply with quote
Yes vampire myth is well hard to pin down to a list of well defined traits as well every culture has vampire or vampire-like stories, all of which have subtle differences, like living vs. dead, weakness to sblight or not and so on.

For me however there is one important factor that most are looking over when it comes to a break out hit. The one of it has to be on TV in some way, so as many people as possible will know about it. Soul Eater and Vampire Knight are not on TV (yet we don't know for 100% certainty that one or both of them will or will not make an appearance on TV) But that is something to keep in mind is that it would have to be a series that works in the NA TV market.
Bika-chan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
posterior_praiser wrote:
I'm not looking for anything serious when I watch yugioh, and I don't expect more than what it delivers.

It's kind of disappointing that ever since that "Abridged Series" no one seems to enjoy Yuugiou for anything other than to laugh at it. It's not really any different from any other Shonen Jump series like Naruto or Yuu Yuu Hakusho. It's basically just a fighting manga where the fights aren't fought with the characters fists; they're fought with games as a battle of wits.

I don't like reading Yuugiou because I like card games; I like it because it has cool characters and a genuinely gripping story (the stakes just keep rising, like Death Note).

I don't know about you but I love the Abridged Yugioh! I guess that's because I loved Yugioh when I used to watch it on saturday mornings. It's so funny because it's true: Card games are serious business.

But, really, you compared Yugioh to Death Note. I'm a little confused...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

I will actually prefer the humorous American animations to the Japanese ones, provided they remain comedic and don't blend humour with serious drama (a pet peeve of mine). Whenever satire or slapstick is put to use in the big Fox cartoons, I'm normally more acute at noticing it than in cases where similar devices are used in works aimed at a Japanese audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Animation is the professional term, just like sequential art is. I'm an art student, illustration major actually, and I can only recall every hearing the term sequential art when it is used in an educational setting, like with my classes/major. We don't call the classes "comic book class" or "graphic novel class", it's a sequential art class, focusing on the use of images in a sequence, and it's not JUST to do with comics.

I always thought of "graphic novel" as the term used to present a volume of comics, or a direct to novel comic, in book form to make it more accessible to those who would otherwise frown on the comic name. In my opinion it's all a marketing ploy to sell it to people who otherwise wouldn't consider comics reading material. Putting novel with it gives more value to it to some people in a literary sense.

Nail on the head there, Littlegreen. I work in academia, and it's all about making your area of study sound intellectual. My dissertation on magical girls was billed (not by me) as "the transformative power of the pre-adolescent/adolescent girl as a subversive sub-genre of Japanese children's literature to counteract the patriarchical tendencies of that culture." (I wish I was making that up!)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Character falls, inexplicably lands amongst other character's massive breasts. I know American comedy has it's own share of repetitive jokes (Homer does/says something stupid) but at least there is some variation there. There's room for it to happen in a creative or especially funny way. These Japanese slapstick gags are so simplistic and interchangeable though that it's just the exact same thing every time. I agree with you 100% on the Simpsons. It's one of the most consistently funny shows of all times. It's begun to slump in the last little while though. You should try and give Spongebob a chance though. Admittedly it's a bit high energy at times but beneath that it's actually often quite clever.

Wow, see, I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, ever since it started getting "preachy"...

Humor is a very culturally-bound phenomenon. What's funny in one culture won't always be funny in another. I think you're massively overgeneralizing with Japanese comedy, of course, focusing primarily on the humor of heavily shounen shows. (Having watched the pathetic attempts at humor in "Shikabane-hime," I know what you're coming from...) And as for American animated comedy always being superior...for every original show, there's a ton of crap too, much like anime. And I gave up on the Simpsons when it started being preachy several seasons back.

Anime comedies (as in, ones with no real drama) I've liked?
1) Hare+Guu and Hare+Guu Deluxe (not Final... wow that was unfunny)
2) Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
3) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
I prefer my shows to actually have a mix of comedy and drama. And in America the best examples of that are generally live action.
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Wow, see, I haven't watched the Simpsons in years, ever since it started getting "preachy"...

Humor is a very culturally-bound phenomenon. What's funny in one culture won't always be funny in another. I think you're massively overgeneralizing with Japanese comedy, of course, focusing primarily on the humor of heavily shounen shows. (Having watched the pathetic attempts at humor in "Shikabane-hime," I know what you're coming from...) And as for American animated comedy always being superior...for every original show, there's a ton of crap too, much like anime. And I gave up on the Simpsons when it started being preachy several seasons back.

Anime comedies (as in, ones with no real drama) I've liked?
1) Hare+Guu and Hare+Guu Deluxe (not Final... wow that was unfunny)
2) Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
3) Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
I prefer my shows to actually have a mix of comedy and drama. And in America the best examples of that are generally live action.

Cromartie High School, anyone?

I agree about The Simpsons. It hasn't been funny to me for about 10 years. There was a short stretch in there where it was actually funny again, but then it just dipped back down into the not-funny. Which is really sad, because for me, when it was good, it was great, but when it was bad... it was really bad. There's only so many times one can see Homer do something stupid to put his marriage in jeopardy and Marge ultimately take him back again. Family Guy is like the mean-drunk cousin of The Simpsons.

This is just my opinions, mind you. If you like these shows, more power to you. I just don't like them.

Anime Comedies I've Liked:
Cromartie High School
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Azumanga Daioh
Patalliro
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:

Anime Comedies I've Liked:
Cromartie High School
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Azumanga Daioh
Patalliro

"Azumanga Daioh" I can enjoy in small doses, otherwise the cuteness overwhelms me. I don't know how people who have marathoned this didn't OD on the cute.

"Cromartie" I've been meaning to watch since some friends of mine a few years back were just ecstatic over it, but for some reason I've never gotten to it.

"Patalliro" (not surprisingly, given how old it is) I have never heard of. I've been making an effort lately to try to watch older shows, so perhaps that will be added to the list.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Nail on the head there, Littlegreen. I work in academia, and it's all about making your area of study sound intellectual. My dissertation on magical girls was billed (not by me) as "the transformative power of the pre-adolescent/adolescent girl as a subversive sub-genre of Japanese children's literature to counteract the patriarchical tendencies of that culture." (I wish I was making that up!)

Wow, is that ever a mouthful. Anime hyper I need that person to come up with my essay titles which always seem so bland. But yeah, you're right. Academia demands serious business with layman-ish terms.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Greenblatt has highlighted and interesting, but little known aspect of the difference between Japanese animation industry and American animation industry. The suits in Japan know animation as an artform that can make money if done right and will give the green light to just about anything, where as the suits in America give it no consideration at all, except as a stepping stone, or a means to a glamourous Hollywood career move, and will not allow anything controversial to get in the way of, or cause damage to that, and therefore stifle any idea that is not kid, and family safe. In so doing, they have also stunted American animations growth into being at least as prevalent a medium as in Japan. To add to that, personally I find American animation in the past 25 years to be far too sarcastic in its delivery. It seems almost every character has to be constantly blabbering on and/or putting someone, or something down with snarky snide remarks, competing for the killer jab, like someone who has had far too much caffine in their blood stream.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6