• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece's Newest Episode Leaked Before Japan's Debut

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Masura wrote:
Thats a tough call to make though, you notice that earilier today, all the most recent episodes of One Piece were taken down, so we don't know for sure, if they catch someone then I would say hack, but if they don't then I am not sure. It could be a retaliation to FUNimation's attack on Fansubbers, or it could be some foreign hacker upset that FUNimation doesnt stream worldwide, its a tough call, heck for all we know it could just be someone bored.

But can you hack using a proxy IP address? The site is supposed to be region blocked for downloading.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
At any rate, if people want One Piece now, they're going to have to turn back to fansubs for the time being.

That negates the point of streaming this.

Joost is more secure. Maybe calmer heads will prevail and the ep will be uploaded there until they find the perp.

Last edited by hikaru004 on Sat May 30, 2009 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The attitudes on display on the part of the pro-fansub community is pretty sickening IMHO. They're giving you SUBTITLED, DAY-AND-DATE anime for FREE. What more do you want from these people!?

I agree, 100%

I am really mad at the person that did this. I was looking forward to this simulcast, and although I know it wasn't going to be perfect in every single way, it was a legal way to watch One Piece, and an hour after it airs in Japan.

I thought people would be happy about this. I sure was... but now some jerk went off and ruined it for all us.
Masura

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Joost is more secure. Maybe calmer heads will prevail and the ep will be uploaded there until they find the perp.

Well we can hope, FUNimation might delay the simulcast and move it over to Joost or Hulu, I would be fine with that
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
GaryPotter wrote:
Anyone who thinks TV is going to die is smoking wacko tobacco.

TV as you know it is going to die. The future is in converged, on-demand media over the Internet.

Obviously it isn't going to happen over night. It's going to be a long a drawn out process, much like the slow death that newspapers and magazines are going through right now.

But I'm willing to bet a lot of money that in 10 years (yes, my money (investments) is where my mouth is), when you sit down in front of your TV to watch episode xx of your favorite show, it will be at the time of your choosing, it will be on demand, and no local TV station will be involved.

-t
SonGokuGT

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, this just reeks of bored anime fan that wants to be the man of the hour by leaking the episode early. Instead, it blew up on the perpetrator's face. the worst part of this is having FUNi in hot water over this whole fiasco. I hope that it doesn't damage their relationship with Toei. I do however think that Toei might opt to give back the streaming rights when FUNi shows prove of upped security on their servers.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Locate and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law?

Ladies and gentlemen, we may have reached the breaking point in the fansub debate.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The attitudes on display on the part of the pro-fansub community is pretty sickening IMHO. They're giving you SUBTITLED, DAY-AND-DATE anime for FREE. What more do you want from these people!?

What more do I want? How about streaming to the WHOLE world? As long as it's restricted to USA and Canada I'm HAPPY they get hacked and screwed.

Still, I can't believe that hey just left the episode...just...sitting there. Anyone could have downloaded it, since there was no security. And now they're pissed that someone TOOK IT? Well DUH!!

That's like leaving a 100$ bill on the ground, walking away, then getting pissed that someone took it. It's beyond retarded, and well, they got what they asked for. Sure it was wrong to take it, but it was dumb to leave it there.
miji

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
This just makes me mad because One Piece aside, it was awesome that we were starting to get anime to be streamed here legally so soon after it airs in Japan. This is what so many people have been asking for. Japan has always been hesitant about this type of stuff, and I can only think that something like this will make them unwilling to do simulcasts.

Sure Funi should have protected their site better, but it still doesn't make what this jerk(s) did right.
Scamp

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

What more do I want? How about streaming to the WHOLE world? As long as it's restricted to USA and Canada I'm HAPPY they get hacked and screwed.

You know, it's probably some guy in Ukraine sick of all this 'free' anime not being available in his region and hacking Funi.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Still, I can't believe that hey just left the episode...just...sitting there. Anyone could have downloaded it, since there was no security. And now they're pissed that someone TOOK IT? Well DUH!!

That's like leaving a 100$ bill on the ground, walking away, then getting pissed that someone took it. It's beyond retarded, and well, they got what they asked for. Sure it was wrong to take it, but it was dumb to leave it there.

#1: You shouldn't be happy for someone else's misfortune when there was absolutely nothing they could do to please you. I don't know where you're from, but Funi might not have had the legal ability to stream it to you.

#2: I'm pretty sure the issue is that it was uploaded. Using your analogy, it's like someone picked up the $100 bill, then made hundreds of thousands of copies and gave them out to a bunch of random strangers.
Masura

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

But there you see, FUNimation doesnt have rights to share it all over the world, just in the USA and Canada, there for shouldnt their works only go out to canada, and the US, if you live some where else you need to talk to the anime companies there.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised people are using the word leak so much. Doesn't that imply that the information (data) was given to the outside by an insider at the company? Regardless of whether FUNi's security has "strict standards", the data was maliciously taken, not leaked.

Anyway I hope this doesn't get in the way of FUNi's and Toei's negotiations for Sailor Moon.

With fans like these who needs enemies.

Edit: Typo

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Sat May 30, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Masura wrote:
But there you see, FUNimation doesnt have rights to share it all over the world, just in the USA and Canada, there for shouldnt their works only go out to canada, and the US, if you live some where else you need to talk to the anime companies there.

I know that, but I don't care. Do you think anyone who lives outside the counties that don't have access care WHY they don't stream there? Nope, we just care that they don't, and as such, don't give a damn about what becomes of them.
reggy

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of blame falling on "western/american" anime "entitlists" here, so I thought I would reinforce the notion that this is almost entirely FUNimation's fault.

FUNimation's plan was to stream an hour after One Piece aired in Japan. This would maximize exposure and advertising revenue, because, all other things being equal and disregarding those seeking super-ultra-high quality 1080p subs or whatever, and assuming that fans want to see subbed versions as fast as possible, most would watch the FUNimation stream.

So it leaked, and we can assume that FUNimation would have received less traffic if it had decided to go ahead with streaming the episode. Less traffic means less throughput (bandwidth) usage, which actually means less expenses, but there are also associated licensing fees and other non-obvious expenses (subbing isn't one of them; apparently they are not creating the actual subtitles). Also FUNimation is owned by the Navarre Corporation, which is publicly-traded. This means its in FUNimation's best interests to maximize profits/revenue streams at all times, however small they may be.

Mistake #1: Halting all or any of the streaming. Some ad revenue is better than no ad revenue, especially since FUNimation likely has to pay licensing fees whether or not they stream at all.

Mistake #2: Terrible security. A lot of posts on here have faulted a sort of greedy entitlist conspiracy for leaking the One Piece episode, but it only takes one copy to leak on to BitTorrent trackers for it to be available to people who may not be familiar with how it was obtained. I don't know how many English-speaking fans of One Piece there are, but we can assume that most of them are at least slightly more technically proficient, on average, than the population.

Now there's two ways the episode could have been obtained. Some actual server hacking as FUNimation is claiming, or a crappy system of URLs and file management. Either method reflects poorly on FUNimation's security, but the second scenario is particularly grievous. If they really did make FLVs publicly available on the website, it could have just as easily been downloaded BY ACCIDENT as "maliciously" (if you can call downloading a publicly available file over HTTP "malicious"). Whatever the case, editing a URL is a widely-known trick for an easily solvable problem.

But what really bothers me is the fact that the episode existed in that form at all (if that's how it was). Remember, FUNimation isn't offering some direct-download service, they are streaming. That means that the actual video files should be on a private server, likely in fragments, maybe even encrypted, to be reassembled and displayed with periodic advertisements using a Flash application. The Flash application only loads an episode if it is told that that episode can be accessed. That's simply how it works when the web designers are competent and given FUNimation's hard-line stance on their IP (licensing rights). Instead, an FLV sitting in the open is read by a Flash streaming application.

So now that I've established FUNimation's faults in this incident, where do overexuberant fans stand? Well, you could easily say that anyone who has ever downloaded a One Piece sub is at fault for copyright infringement. But fansubbing has helped to promote the popularity of many anime including One Piece, and led to FUNimation producing (or at least distributing) something better than its shitty dubs, and hopefully leads to more success for FUNimation.

The real bad guy among fans is whoever uploads and distributes this particular sub. As for anybody downloading it (with BitTorrent, you're also an uploader), a good deal of One Piece sub watchers will see the file, and get it thinking it came out early or something. Heck, I didn't even become aware of onepieceofficial.com until I noticed a reference to it on the Wikipedia article for One Piece. But then again, I'm new here.

In closing, anybody posting knee-jerk reactions and whining should realize that a) this situation is more complicated than it seems, b) FUNimation sucks, and c) it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch in this case. Sure, most of this thread is speculation, but at least use your head.
tsubaki_rose

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:21 pm Reply with quote
the quality is okay but not the best~!
why are most of you happy about this now we`ll have to wait another day to watch the rest of them in the future all because someone could not wait! eventhogh it was FUNi at least it was the subbed version!~ so now it will be the same as befor! THANKS ALOT!~whom ever it was..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 35