• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailer to Stop Imports of Funimation BD/DVDs into Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
All this would be completely unnecessary if the Japanese slapped a hefty import tax on top.

Careful there. That's our way of thinking!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OLady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
la_contessa wrote:
The first sale doctrine only comes into play as a defense to copyright infringement ("Hey, you don't have the right to distribute that DVD on half.com!" "No, I own this copy, so the first sale has already happened and now I can sell my copy as I see fit."). It protects retailers like DVD Fantasium from copyright infringement suits, since they have already purchased the copies from someone else (there was some mention earlier in the thread that DVD Fantasium may have been selling wholesale to Japan-based retailers as well, but is there evidence of that? At any rate, it doesn't matter, because wholesalers would be equally protected from infringement suits). Unless there is some deception going on, the DVD Fantasium announcement specifically mentions licensing agreements, so we're likely outside the realm of copyright law and into contract law, which is an entirely different situation.

(what follows is pure conjecture based on the assumption that a reasonable, contract-based explanation probably exists--I have no clue what the licensing and distribution agreements actually say, I am only making educated guesses)

Funimation has NA distribution rights as per its contracts with the Japanese companies. I would bet those contracts prohibit Funimation from distributing their releases outside NA (they may have separate agreements for other regions, but here we're talking specifically the agreement that gives NA distribution rights). I would be surprised if that agreement did not also charge Funimation with monitoring the exportation from NA to Japan of its R1 releases, or at least prohibit tacitly allowing the importation into Japan of gray markey goods (i.e. selling to a wholesaler or retailer that Funimation knows to be in the business of importing R1 releases into R2). Further, Funimation may (and probably should, because it wants to maintain goodwill with the Japanese companies) request that its distributors, wholesalers, and retailers sign similar agreements. For example, Funimation may pass on its prohibition against distributing outside of NA to its retailers: "I will not sell you copies of my NA releases unless you promise to only sell them in NA." Such a clause may in fact be required by the original licensing agreement. If the distribution agreement does not have a prohibition on passively allowing the copies to be exported to Japan, only on direct sales to Japan, DVD Fantasium might be able to get away with buying the DVDs from another retailer, but think about the mark-up there. DVD Fantasium would have to raise its prices to maintain the same profit margin, etc. I'm only qualified to talk about the law, though, not the economics aspect.

As for why it is only Funimation--I have no clue. Maybe they were the first company to get concerned, maybe one of their Japanese contacts came to them first, who knows? Well, Funimation would know, but they aren't really obligated to tell us.

I like this explanation better. Thank you. But haven't we come full circle?
la_contessa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But exports should be covered by first-sale as they were purchased in this country. Even with a markup, it still will be less than Japanese prices. Imports are not covered.

The point is that the first sale doctrine doesn't apply at all to any of the DVDs because this isn't a copyright issue. The first sale doctrine is defense to copyright infringement, not breach of contract. DVD Fantasium made clear in its press release that this is an issue of licensing, i.e. contract.
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
That sucks for Japanese fans. There's no way I'd pay Japanese prices if I were in Japan.

And Gundam Unicorn, haha. Bandai (Visual) doesn't learn.

I agree Japanese anime DVD prices are outragous, 600 dollars for Clannad, yikes and compare it to what they sell the US DVD at Rightstuf
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5