• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex America Sells Gurren Lagann Movie DVDs in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ragnawind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:49 pm Reply with quote
This would be much better if they produced an english dub. Sure the fans like a series to be released as soon as possible, but that isn't really the reason why people like subbed series. The main reason is usually something like they like the japanese voices more. When a company licenses a series, the subtitles they use are what they use for the dub if one is made. There are also fans who say the subbed version tells the story the way it was meant to be without the changes in dialog in the dub. But in reality, the story is exactly the same in an english dub and official english sub, since the subtitles are actually dubtitles, which is the script that the dubbers use. They would alos be missing out on a large amount of money gaining opportunity by releasing without a dub. It is a fact that if something is released with a full dub in the language of the company it is released in, that it will make more money than if they just subtitle it so you can understand a language you don't understand. Many people won't watch something, unless they can watch it so that they can relax while doing so. Using your eyes too much on a screen like a TV can cause eye problems much sooner than if you don't. Also, they should release it to multiple distributors rather than just one, so it can reach a larger audience. Another thing to note is that if a series has already been released with an english dub, any further seasons, specials, or movies, should also receive an english dub.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a release for the otaku market. And I am in pure ecstasy right now. DO WANT. Limited editions, booklets, Parallel Works. The only thing that'd make it better would be Blu-ray, and we can't expect getting that since there's no BD release in Japan.

Also, now they might release Soranowoto for North America. That would be pure awesome, especially if we get a nice high-quality release like this!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
ragnawind wrote:
This would be much better if they produced an english dub. Sure the fans like a series to be released as soon as possible, but that isn't really the reason why people like subbed series. The main reason is usually something like they like the japanese voices more.

They would alos be missing out on a large amount of money gaining opportunity by releasing without a dub. It is a fact that if something is released with a full dub in the language of the company it is released in, that it will make more money than if they just subtitle it so you can understand a language you don't understand. Many people won't watch something, unless they can watch it so that they can relax while doing so.

Also, they should release it to multiple distributors rather than just one, so it can reach a larger audience.

Yeah. Totally agree.

ragnawind wrote:
Another thing to note is that if a series has already been released with an english dub, any further seasons, specials, or movies, should also receive an english dub.

Oh god do I agree with this.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I cant believe they think these movies didn't warrant a dub. They said "If a title has a chance for TV broadcasting, it is possible to create an English dub". Syfy aired the tv series. Aniplex probably could've easily got the movies on Syfy.

I was never really interested in Gurren Lagann in the first place (never bought the tv show, just watched some episodes on Syfy), but I was considering buying (or at least renting) the movies, but this is a definite "no buy" for me now.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, this is Gurren Lagann, not some ultra-niche show that had no shot of making it to the US.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
ragnawind wrote:
Another thing to note is that if a series has already been released with an english dub, any further seasons, specials, or movies, should also receive an english dub.

LOL. This is the self-entitlement that fans have that is ruining the industry and anime fandom for everyone else. Me, me, me, mine, mine, mine. It should have this, it should have that.

DangerMouse wrote:
Agreed, this is Gurren Lagann, not some ultra-niche show that had no shot of making it to the US.

Except it pretty much flopped, especially the bilingual release because of early adopters and people wanting a cheap release, from what Bandai has repeatedly indicated. They also indicated ratings for the TV run "wasn't up to expectations."

Gurren Lagann, whether you want to think its a big property in America, isn't. If Gurren TV did especially well, Bandai would have jumped on these themselves.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
(Possible) Translation: We will be selling our own anime now because we want to maximize our profit take on Bakemonogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, and Durarara!! in North America (especially Bakemonogatari).

Very nice to see Aniplex get in on the business, though they seem to be in limbo between Bandai Visual USA and Kadokawa Pictures USA, model-wise. However, I'm not too worried about their sub-only plan with the movies, since they will probably be pressured by those fans they adore to issue a bilingual version in the future (or just delay them so they can make them so...because they're like --><-- this with the fandom). Even if they don't, it's not a bad start to things, nor is the online-only plan.

What I'm really anticipating is AA reaching into their formidable catalog and potentially release heavy-hitters like the aforementioned three or any of the present and future work by their A-1 Pictures studio, especially their "Anime no Chikara" series. AA's not perfect yet, but if they have good quality control and accurate subs (unlike their Sony brethren) on the movies, they'll be set on the right path.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
ragnawind wrote:

LOL. This is the self-entitlement that fans have that is ruining the industry and anime fandom for everyone else. Me, me, me, mine, mine, mine. It should have this, it should have that.

This isn't even my situation but I don't think it's funny to those whom such a thing may have effected.

There may be at least a good debate on new releases, but if you're in the middle of supporting a series by buying it you should have the right to comment on the removal of the dub that may have got you buying the first several volumes of it in the first place. Even though I would like the option of listening in both languages and I don't know whether you like them or not, even dub haters should admit that those who are supporting an ongoing release with hard earned money for a dub should be able to complain if they can't finish it that way and that that is a totally different situation and certainly has nothing to do with entitlement.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for more companies trying things out and getting some competition in the market, but I'm not entirely sure how much I trust Aniplex... I've been using Righstuf since '99 and would rather stick with them if I can't pick up the DVDs at my local store. I'm not a big fan of shopping online and would rather use sites I'm FAMILIAR with than going to Bandai's place.

Plus, those are some rather high prices. With shipping it's nearly $100 for two movies that are roughly two hours long!??! $55 If you get the regular editions!? I don't mind paying $30 for a LE movie, but $40-45 is pretty pricey, even by my standards. I'm a college student, I can't afford to collect much if they're gonna start releasing TV SHOWS based off the prices they're just selling an English Dub-less MOVIE.

I'm glad they said they're still gonna give out titles to licensees in the interview, because I'm really hoping FUNi will pickup Durarara!! despite the fact it's streaming on CR and give it a good dub. I think that title is worth being one of the exceptions, and since it crosses over with Baccano!, it'd make sense.

I dunno... I'm happy for the chance of more anime coming over here, but when it comes to prices and dubs, I'm feelin' kinda nervous about them right now.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:
ragnawind wrote:

Well, considering it is my my my money and I'll be buying it for me me me, I do want it the way I I I want it. And if it's not the way I want it, I'm not buying it. That's my choice as a consumer and I embrace it. When I first became an anime fan, I don't remember signing a contract that obligated me to buy every single release that ever came out, especially if it's not how I like it.

Besides, when you look at it, probably one of the biggest reasons it's not getting a dub (besides price) is so they can get it out as soon as possible to appease the fans that "need it", like, right now, this second. Those people are the self-entitled fans, not the dub fans.

Wait a second:
The Article wrote:
However, there is also a trend that fans want to see new titles as fast as possible. Making an English dub takes a long time and costs a lot, so we may miss the release timing for future releases.

That is one of the reasons. How funny.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Sarkozy wrote:
ragnawind wrote:

Well, considering it is my my my money and I'll be buying it for me me me, I do want it the way I I I want it. And if it's not the way I want it, I'm not buying it. That's my choice as a consumer and I embrace it. When I first became an anime fan, I don't remember signing a contract that obligated me to buy every single release that ever came out, especially if it's not how I like it.

Besides, when you look at it, probably one of the biggest reasons it's not getting a dub (besides price) is so they can get it out as soon as possible to appease the fans that "need it", like, right now, this second. Those people are the self-entitled fans, not the dub fans.

Wait a second:
The Article wrote:
However, there is also a trend that fans want to see new titles as fast as possible. Making an English dub takes a long time and costs a lot, so we may miss the release timing for future releases.

That is one of the reasons. How funny.

Rofl ya... And wholly shit man this is Gurren Lagann we are talking about! How much more mainstream can you get?! Wtf is with some of these titles being released... So tired of bigger shows like this one for example!!! getting half assed! There seems to be a lot of disappointments every other month if not every month.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting news.
I wonder what the other five series Aniplex plans to self-release here.

As for the sub-only release of the Gurren Lagann movies:
- I already own the TV series on sub-only R1 DVDs.
- I've watched the dubbed TV series on SyFy.
- I can import "Paralell Works" & the upcoming "Paralell Works 2" on R2 DVD.
- Not really interested in the booklet or the postcards.

Sorry Aniplex of America, this looks like a no-buy for me.
ragnawind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The truth is that the fans DO NOT NEED it right now. They only WANT it. It is not necessary to have it. Many fans are fine with having to wait. Those who don't like to wait for a release, no matter how long the wait is, are impatient people. Rushed releases usually aren't a very good idea. The only real problem may be cost. If what the news is saying here in the US is true, though, that shouldn't really be a problem soon. The news says that the economy is no longer in a recession and the economy is now improving.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I am someone who feels a need to pay back "fansub debts" on good shows (trust me, someone picks up Higurashi Kai, dub or no dub, I'm all over it so long as I can order it from TRSI for a reasonable price), but at the same time, I cannot warrant supporting a bad business model. I went "I can't wait to see these movies in dub! This is the first show I ever got a wallscroll for and I've been working on a Kamina papercraft who's pieces hardly fit and has been infuriating me for almost a month, but omfg do I love TTGL! That is the coolest artbox I have ever seen in my life, and when the other disc cases didn't fit quite right, I swapped them with other white disc series just to make them fit! That drawstring bag that came with the second LE set is going to be so awesome to have with me during Otakon! I love having that CD and listening to it in my car while I drive! "Meh" on the manga, not as good as the show, but not a bad bonus to try out either."

Pretty much until I read this and saw how these movies were coming out, I was making room on my shelf for them, but now...gah, this just seems like such a bad idea. The no dub, the selling from a single place, the "bit too uncomfortable" prices...

And is there really any particular reason they couldn't put out the Parallel Works on their own DVDs? Maybe in a two disc set once the second Parallel Works comes out? There's really not much to translate so I wouldn't mind sub on that for the same reason I didn't care that they didn't dub the guy talking at the start of Interstella 5555 or why I could import a copy of the Gon manga and understand everything but the title.

I'm really just heartbroken by this business plan, people who watched it casually on sci-fi might not have any idea the movies are coming out if they're only being sold in one place whereas if they saw it in Best Buy or on Amazon might go "oh yeah, I remember this show, it's awesome, they have movies? Neat!" and might pick them up. And then the more rabid fanbase probably already has the sets, either the first sub-only sets Bandai put out or the dub sets put out later (LE or not), maybe both, and probably has no need to buy the movies which mostly just re-tell the show at those prices. Maybe some people who only ever watch things sub-only anyway might be ok with this, but most of the dub watchers I've talked to liked the dub just fine too.

I really hope Aniplex is reading this and decides to put it on a few other online sites for sale at the very least, and maybe add a dub (although that seems a little unlikely for a last minute adjustment, except oh wait, 2/3rds of the first movie has spoiler[no new footage anyway]!). Sheesh, at least sell the damn things at conventions too!
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
You can count on me to buy your collector's editions, great move you guys Aniplex Smile

Finally the same bonus items as Japan premium boxes so I couldn't be happier xD!!!!

Please make an ad on amazon.com at least to boost sales. I do 95% of my transaction from rightstuff and amazon for anime and games. I guess I will make a turn by Bandai's store this time Razz?

Unless the DUBBING is premium quality I am not one to buy it. I am about to break through from French/English to understanding enough Japanese to get t he jist of it without needing subtitles. So, to me it's the most important factor. I just imported Ikki Tousen first print boxes for the Great Guardian season with totally amazing artwork on the cover.

I just want the arts, the collector stuff and a perfect print of the anime in the best quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9