• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love to Love Ru

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
"Bringing up baby" is so overrated IMO. "Arsenic and old lace" was much funnier.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
RedLeader wrote:
snl67 wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:

I AM SO OLD. It doesn't feel like that long ago...

Don't feel bad. I remember watching the Conan O'Brien running skit "In the year 2000" when they did it before the year 2000!

By the standard of many youngsters seen in the ANN forums, I am older than dirt!

You think THAT'S old?! I used to watch David Letterman! ... On NBC!!! Johnny Carson too. :p I'm probably as ancient as they come around here! Anime hyper

I can top that - I remember watching Saturday Night Live...Season 1! Although I had to sneak to watch since I was not suppose to be up that late, and VCR's weren't available yet!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
What I liked about this one against something like Urusei Yatsura, is that the characters in To Love Ru are actually sympathetic and enjoyable.
UY featured some of the most unlikeable tools of characters all the way around. It still worked brilliantly though. To Love Ru features a cast of likeable chars, and works in a different way.
The same set up, but very different.

I like UY's characters. But then, I like jerks. (Apparently.)

CCSYueh wrote:
I don't really like Takahashi prior to Ranma 1/2. I haven't tried the manga for Urusei, but I really struggled with the little bit of Maison I tried (3 or 5 volumes).

Good luck finding the UY manga legally in English. I really think you should give the anime a try, it's nothing like Maison Ikkoku.

CCSYueh wrote:
Bewitched was a bit more classy to me-a better bunch of actors in recurring roles which made for a wider range of jokes. Jeannie was silly fun, but had a tendancy to one-note humor. The really good jokes were excellent, but a lot of misses, but overall it worked like TLR.

I think we've hit on an apt comparison here. UY (Lum) is basically Bewitched while To Love Ru is I Dream of Jeannie. Jeannie is a poor man's Bewitched, just like TLR is a poor man's UY.

CCSYueh wrote:
Trouble Chocolate? I didn't think anyone else watched that one. It was light, brainless fun that never aspired to a whole lot.

My husband and I watched an episode or two of Trouble Chocolate at a convention circa 2003. I shrugged it off with a, "This sucks!" but Noah flipped out. It was almost like an allergic reaction. He said it was the worst thing ever and got really angry. He still uses Trouble Chocolate as an example of a terrible anime title to this day.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
"Bringing up baby" is so overrated IMO. "Arsenic and old lace" was much funnier.

I very much prefer Arsenic & Old Lace, but it's not appropriate to this discussion. It's not a screwball comedy, is it? I thought Screwball Comedies applied to those romantic situational comedies made in the 30's & 40's while A&OL was a stage play converted into a movie. I only wish they had brought in Boris Karloff instead of Massey for the movie. Although I slightly agree Grant is close to over-mugging for the screen in this one as I've seen in some reviews, it's Cary Grant. Who cares? The man was great at the light comedy. I love Topper which I though of using as my example, except it's not a standard romance like TLR or UY so it didn't fit as well.

Quote:
I like UY's characters. But then, I like jerks. (Apparently.)

Annoying? That may be what bugged me about UY. I have a low tolerance for annoying/grating chicks I believe from too many soaps as a teen. Guys being a pain I can live with (though I so wanted to slap the lead in Avatar when I watched it last night for the first time. He was such an annoying touch everything/disturb everything idiot) If I want to slap them, they've hit that point. The original crush in TLR was almost there (Haruna? Haruka?)

Wow, getting that worked up about Trouble Chocolate. It's been 5 yrs since I watched it & I bought it way back when we didn't have as many anime options so I was probably giving it a lot more credit than I might now. I probably saw it before I saw Saiyuki & maybe before Magic Users so around 2005? 2003?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5