• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PW: Viz Media Lays Off Up to 60, Closes NY Branch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
Sorry, but when the "Shonen Jump Advanced" *snort* line is so hacked up it makes you want to throw the book out in disgust, that is not "pretty minor."
Name manga that they've actually censored over the past three years.

Quote:
Go away. Preferably out of business. Then maybe someone who cares about fans and art as much as money will get the stuff you previously used to wipe your backside and put it out the way it's supposed to be.
Yeah, you want a company that puts out material by Takehiko Inoue, Taiyo Matsumoto, Inio Asano, Natsume Ono, Fumi Yoshinaga, Daisuke Igarashi, Hayao Miyazaki, Iou Kuroda and Kazuo Umezu to go out of business because you can't see nipples on an ecchi series?

Hahahahahahaha.

fudge off.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
Yeah--protecting them from people like me who want to read unmolested stories. Hence, my money goes elsewhere. Why don't they just license series they don't have to screw with to avoid the wrath of the masses of the asses who like feeding carpet-bagging litigation crocodiles and paralytically fear having to talk honestly with their own children? Phoquin' duh!
Which, uh, they do.

A lot of the time, but not always. Doing it for just one title is doing it for one title too many.
HellKorn wrote:
Boycotting an entire company when most of the series they put out aren't censored is, frankly, stupid. You just don't buy the titles they censor, and buy the ones they give full respect to -- like, say, Viz's Signature line titles. Is that actually voting for your wallet? As you say, "Phoquin duh."

Yes, it is. Giving them money for their uncensored titles is giving them money to censor others, so I refuse to. When they cut that crap out, apologize for doing that in the past and re-release the afflicted titles unmolested, they will get out of my doghouse. And not one second sooner.

e/v.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
Yes, it is. Giving them money for their uncensored titles is giving them money to censor others, so I refuse to. When they cut that crap out, apologize for doing that in the past and re-release the afflicted titles unmolested, they will get out of my doghouse. And not one second sooner.
"CMX edited Tenjho Tenge and never apologized for doing so. Even though pretty much every other single title they've licensed has been given at least a decent release, I'm going to boycott for inane principles. I like cut off my nose to spite my face."

Makes sense.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:

e/v.

Okay. I could give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you're not just one of those people who comes up with an absurdly elaborate and unreasonable standard that a company must meet before you'll buy from them as a half assed excuse to never pay for anything. I could assume you really do care about censorship just that much. I'm not going to though and here's why:

If you really cared about censorship, you would prioritize doing something about it and as it is, you're not doing a damn this to discourage it. You're so eager to rage over the evils of censorship that you set this absurd standard for what they'll have to do to ever earn your business. You have to know that it's never going to happen though so what you're essentially saying is that you'll never support them ever. That being the case, you've just made yourself completely irrelevant to them. There's no point in them worrying about what you want. They might as well just cater to people who don't care about censorship. Or if they don't...it's because there's enough people out there with the sense to actually support them when they do the right thing and don't censor instead of holding some silly little grudge.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
Sorry, but when the "Shonen Jump Advanced" *snort* line is so hacked up it makes you want to throw the book out in disgust, that is not "pretty minor."
Name manga that they've actually censored over the past three years.

Skip Beat and Claymore. And that's just with a quick look.
HellKorn wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
Go away. Preferably out of business. Then maybe someone who cares about fans and art as much as money will get the stuff you previously used to wipe your backside and put it out the way it's supposed to be.
Yeah, you want a company that puts out material by Takehiko Inoue, Taiyo Matsumoto, Inio Asano, Natsume Ono, Fumi Yoshinaga, Daisuke Igarashi, Hayao Miyazaki, Iou Kuroda and Kazuo Umezu to go out of business because you can't see nipples on an ecchi series?

Hahahahahahaha.

fudge off.

Damn straight. If they've become such a bunch of wusses that they're now mortally afraid of--gasp--nipples, which they had no problem with in the past, then they're better gone.

e/v.
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal, maybe you really don't have any grasp of history, but you do realize that Viz is basically the reason there's a market for uncensored manga at all, right? Of their 3 launch titles, Area 88 was uncensored, Legend of Kamui was uncensored (and a mature readers title!), and Mai the Pychic Girl had one page censored, a page they left untouched in the graphic novel. And that was 24 years ago. In the intervening years, Viz has done nothing but show themselves as a champion of manga, publishing more quality titles across a staggeringly wide range of genres, the vast majority of which are uncensored.

If you're really that anti-censorship and you want to boycott the company's censored releases, well, I may not agree with you but that at least makes sense. But to completely boycott every release, censored and uncensored alike, from a company that has done more to develop manga fandom than any company in the history of ever is, frankly, asinine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay. I could give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you're not just one of those people who comes up with an absurdly elaborate and unreasonable standard that a company must meet before you'll buy from them as a half assed excuse to never pay for anything. I could assume you really do care about censorship just that much. I'm not going to though and here's why:

If you really cared about censorship, you would prioritize doing something about it and as it is, you're not doing a damn this to discourage it. You're so eager to rage over the evils of censorship that you set this absurd standard for what they'll have to do to ever earn your business. You have to know that it's never going to happen though so what you're essentially saying is that you'll never support them ever. That being the case, you've just made yourself completely irrelevant to them. There's no point in them worrying about what you want. They might as well just cater to people who don't care about censorship. Or if they don't...it's because there's enough people out there with the sense to actually support them when they do the right thing and don't censor instead of holding some silly little grudge.

If they would actually, you know, have the transparency to talk with people instead of pulling the spin BS of "it's not censoring, it's only editing" (which is like saying, "It's not an assault rifle, it's only a gun"), then I'd be able to do something about it. As it is, there is no open communication with them whatsoever--because they are scared to death of the possibility of having to deal directly with the criticism that they so rightly earn.

e/v.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
I've never seen anyone claim that Skip Beat is edited.

The Claymore edit you refer to is a penis from volumes 2 and 3, which were published in 2006.

2010 - 2006 = 4

As you see.

Quote:
Damn straight. If they've become such a bunch of wusses that they're now mortally afraid of--gasp--nipples, which they had no problem with in the past, then they're better gone.
And yet they publish nipples in numerous mature titles, and for something like, say, Nana, they just slap a "Parental Advisory" warning on the cover, and viola, nipples.

And let's not forget that they stopped editing I"s at just around this same time when they change their censorship policy. The only manga series they've edited in the past three years are those mainstream titles they want to get into Walmart.

Quote:
If they would actually, you know, have the transparency to talk with people instead of pulling the spin BS of "it's not censoring, it's only editing" (which is like saying, "It's not an assault rifle, it's only a gun"), then I'd be able to do something about it. As it is, there is no open communication with them whatsoever--because they are scared to death of the possibility of having to deal directly with the criticism that they so rightly earn.
They don't "earn" such inane criticisms from ignorant fools like you. Your type hoists up the banner as excuse to not buy such with no knowledge of their actual policy and range and treatment of titles. You whine and bitch and moan about Tenjho Tenge when that's the only title CMX ever screwed up on, yet treat that lone title as representative of the whole company.

But, you see, you don't seem to actually care about series without censorship. If you did, then you wouldn't boycott Viz. You know very well what you're demanding is never going to happen, so this is just a convenient excuse to never buy that manga.

Have fun, leech.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
I've never seen anyone claim that Skip Beat is edited.

Guess I misread that particular search result.
HellKorn wrote:
The Claymore edit you refer to is a penis from volumes 2 and 3, which were published in 2006.

2010 - 2006 = 4

As you see.

Fine. It still won't make me forgive them for their sins of the recent past.
HellKorn wrote:
eyevocal wrote:
And yet they publish nipples in numerous mature titles, and for something like, say, Nana, they just slap a "Parental Advisory" warning on the cover, and viola, nipples.

That's nice. So when are we going to get apologies and repairs for the stuff that got The Knife instead of The Sticker?
HellKorn wrote:
And let's not forget that they stopped editing I"s at just around this same time when they change their censorship policy. The only manga series they've edited in the past three years are those mainstream titles they want to get into Walmart.

As if I haven't enough reasons already to hate Mall-Wart.
HellKorn wrote:
But, you see, you don't seem to actually care about series without censorship. If you did, then you wouldn't boycott Viz. You know very well what you're demanding is never going to happen, so this is just a convenient excuse to never buy that manga.

Have fun, leech.

I bought all the original Japanese tankouban of I''s--and I can't even read Japanese. So leech this.

e/v.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:
Dark Horse edited Narutaru and published the series as late as 2006, and never apologized. Guess that means I shouldn't have bought Berserk and Blade of the Immortal, then!

Quote:
That's nice. So when are we going to get apologies and repairs for the stuff that got The Knife instead of The Sticker?
When you stop being ignorant.

Quote:
I bought all the original Japanese tankouban of I''s--and I can't even read Japanese. So leech this.
Brb, forgot to put on my mind-reading goggles.

Btw, I hope you know that the only North American publishers you can ever buy from, based on your inane standards, are Seven Seas, Del Rey and Yen Press.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
eyevocal wrote:

You want them to provide a detailed response to every pedantic, obscure and unreasonable fantard objection the internet throws up?

They'd have to re-employ those 60 people and then some.

As has been pointed out already, if you support the titles that get the treatment you approve of but not the ones that don't, you help give Viz some indication of what you want and some incentive to move towards that - if you refuse to buy anything from them on general principles (despite the fact that the vast majority of their manga is completely uncensored), you become an irrelevance. If they can't win people back by changing their policies, why should they bother (and in so doing risk losing sales because of higher age ratings on their children's comics)?

Quote:

You're really that desperate for cartoon nipples? It would have been cheaper to buy the Viz editions and draw them in yourself...
Extalia

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
This is like deja vu. First Tokyopop, now VIZ.
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
We have
no plans at this time for drastic measures such as product cancellations
or business line closures.

But they still canceled Shojo Beat....
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Rapture wrote:
We have
no plans at this time for drastic measures such as product cancellations
or business line closures.

But they still canceled Shojo Beat....

The magazine, yes. The line, no. The Shojo Beat line is still going strong in graphic novel format, including most if not all of the titles that were serialized in the magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I would like to interject on behalf of the Tenjou Tenghe people. I personally have not read much of Tenjou Tenghe, nor did I like it, but if you censor the nudity, you have nothing. TT is a manga meant for only breasts and nudity, and when you take all of that out, you get a really lukewarm story and crappy characters. That was a manga that should have received a complete boycott.

Quote:

It's a goddamn penis, man! What importance did that penis have to the manga?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6