• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toradora! DVD 1 Eps. 1-7 Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
Ariolander wrote:
Rie Kugimiya is the Queen of Tsundere and every american VA who has tried to play one of her tsunderes has failed. With Rie Kugimiya at the lead it is fine as-is. I don't think anyone can replace her.

So true.
Failed. Miserably.

Glad to hear we'll eventually be getting a review on the technical merits of the release. I definitely plan to purchase it.
vega427

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
I just put this on pre-order(got a deal I couldn't refuse). Sure, it comes with some neat stuff, I'd rather have a dub track instead. I'm not convinced releasing a title as big as Toradora as a sub only was a smart move for their first foray into anime. I can only hope they do something simmilar to what Section 23 did with Clannad......
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
It seems that certain dub fans are saying that they are fully capable of watching and loving a series that is subbed but ONLY when it is free (and usually illegal). That makes no sense. Period.

This is an attitude I find extremely frustrating. The "added value" purchasing a sub-only release is the ownership of a legitimate copy of the show. If someone wants to insist that he can't stand watching a series subbed and therefore won't buy it no matter how much he enjoyed it, that's fine, as long long as he then never watches his fansubbed copies again. As far as I'm concerned, once he breaks those bad boys out for another viewing, his whole argument goes out the window.

Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
I'd at least like to know that there aren't a ton of errors in the subtitles before I make my pre-order. NIS has a not-so-stellar reputation due to lack of QC and overly loose translations.

This is where the butterflies in my stomach are coming from, as well. All I really want to know is whether the subs hold up to industry standards.

I'm not crazy about the NISA release. I don't want the art book and including it in the chipboard box means that there's no way it will fit on my video shelves (at least the discs seem to come in individual keep cases). If it were pretty much any other series, I'd be balking at the $3.60 per episode price tag. But I'm pretty sure this is the only chance I'll have to own an English edition of ToraDora!, so there's no way I'm passing on this one.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 am Reply with quote
IIRC, I remember hearing that Toradora goes downhill not too soon afterwards. Y/N?

Takeyo wrote:
If it were pretty much any other series, I'd be balking at the $3.60 per episode price tag.

Most 13 episode blocks are like $40, right? That's not that much better. I still remember that it used to be $6 per episode.

vega427 wrote:
I'm not convinced releasing a title as big as Toradora as a sub only was a smart move for their first foray into anime.

It is a bit of a mixed message, for sure, but an understandable one. It's not exactly a small investment to make an English track.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
IIRC, I remember hearing that Toradora goes downhill not too soon afterwards. Y/N?

I say no, but viewers seem to be split. I would say that the show deviates from the standard romantic comedy anime formula in some surprising ways, and whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion. I found the entire series engrossing and was very satisfied when I finished watching. YMMV.

Joe Mello wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
If it were pretty much any other series, I'd be balking at the $3.60 per episode price tag.

Most 13 episode blocks are like $40, right? That's not that much better. I still remember that it used to be $6 per episode.

That's after discount. The first 13 episode set's MSRP is $60.00, IIRC.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:27 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Not true. In fact, the show grew on me quite much once I got past the halfway point. (Give or take a couple of episodes.) In fact, I dare say that the show will be more enjoyable on rewatch due to this.

I wasn't really sure what to think of Taiga at first -- I kind of found her to be an asshole through quite a few episodes -- but the show did an admirable job of making me care about ALL its characters when it approached the end. spoiler[Or, well, ALMOST all the characters. Taiga's father is still a bastard, and I'm also kind of annoyed about how the show was set up so that we would sympathise with him, only to have Minori shout in Ryuuji's face (and, by extent our) a little later. At least she apologized about it a little later when she realised there was just no way he could have known.]

And THAT is why I put in the preorder. Here's hoping NIS will release the rest.
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised, but happy, it got so much praise. This mushy series definitely pulled at my heart strings.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Have had this on preorder at Right Stuf since it was announced. Now that I've seen pics of the wonderful artbox and artbook, I am even more excited.

Really looking forward to this and watched it all the way through the end. I did not feel disappointed by anything, and I cried quite a bit while watching the series. I really empathized with the characters.

p.s.: thanks, Key, for the mod step-in.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Have had this on preorder at Right Stuf since it was announced. Now that I've seen pics of the wonderful artbox and artbook, I am even more excited.

Really looking forward to this and watched it all the way through the end. I did not feel disappointed by anything, and I cried quite a bit while watching the series. I really empathized with the characters.

Now if only we had a release date for the 2nd half. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this show coming out on DVD. It's no masterpiece, but it manages to fill an entire 25 episodes out without me wanting to punch any character in particular (except for Ryuji when he spoiler[ makes his mom cry near the end ] . Sure, I knew how it would end from the second I started watching (it is named Toradora after all..) but it shirked just enough convention to make it a stand out title in the genre (no where near the classics of the genre for sure, but better than any contemporaries with the exception of Ouran)

Then I saw the price. Fifty dollars for thirteen episodes, without a dub. That is 100 dollars for the entire series potentially. For a comparison, all 112 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho can be had for about the same price. Plenty of recent 26 episode series can be had (with a dub) for less than the cost of half the Toradora series without one. This pricing reminds me of the Bandai Visual pricing scheme from last year; in other words, I doubt it is going to work. This set will either drop in price substantially, or they simply won't sell very many copies. I wouldn't even pay $50 for a blu-ray set that only had 13 episodes. $50 for an entire 25 episode set would be more to my liking (especially if it were Blu-Ray) and I can definitely wait.

I have to hope this type of pricing fails, because I don't want anyone to follow in their footsteps. It's a shame too, because Toradora really is a pretty good show, and I want to own it one day.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
You really find this pricing too high? Over 5 hours of content for $48 at RightStuf. Cheaper if you have a Got Anime membership and even cheaper if you spend enough to use one of their coupons. I paid $41.70.

Really? Sure, it's not as cheap as buying a Funimation SAVE edition product, but it's very reasonably priced for a series that is new to North America and with some great goodies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
captainbanana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
You really find this pricing too high? Over 5 hours of content for $48 at RightStuf. Cheaper if you have a Got Anime membership and even cheaper if you spend enough to use one of their coupons. I paid $41.70.

Really? Sure, it's not as cheap as buying a Funimation SAVE edition product, but it's very reasonably priced for a series that is new to North America and with some great goodies.

Bought through rightstuf, it comes out to about four dollars an episode (not counting shipping costs). The entire series of Ouran Host Club (26 episodes) can be had for about 52 dollars on Blu-Ray. That comes out to around two dollars an episode, and there is a dub included. Twice as much as the competition despite the competition being on Blu-Ray and having a dub? That isn't a reasonable price in my opinion.

I've always wanted subtitle only releases because I thought that the lack of cost involved with dubbing would bring prices down. This is the exact opposite of that, and I can't figure out how they could think it is a good pricing strategy.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Bought through rightstuf, it comes out to about four dollars an episode (not counting shipping costs). The entire series of Ouran Host Club (26 episodes) can be had for about 52 dollars on Blu-Ray. That comes out to around two dollars an episode, and there is a dub included. Twice as much as the competition despite the competition being on Blu-Ray and having a dub? That isn't a reasonable price in my opinion.

I've always wanted subtitle only releases because I thought that the lack of cost involved with dubbing would bring prices down. This is the exact opposite of that, and I can't figure out how they could think it is a good pricing strategy.

Your comparison is not fair. Ouran was originally released in half season sets with a MSRP of $60 each, and the first came in October 2008. I can't imagine the extras were comparable either. The advantage Ouran has would be the dub, of course. So yes, if you wanted to wait 1 1/2 years, you could get Ouran on Blu Ray with a MSRP of $70.

Also consider that this Toradora release is considered a "premium edition". They may later release a regular edition for somewhere between $40 - $50 MSRP.
AnimeFollower

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
I really can't believe that the stupid, old argument of "Dub vs. Sub", or a variation of it, has reared its ugly head again!

1. Toradora is a great show! It is worthy of having a collector's-style anime dvd release. I pre-ordered a couple of months ago from NIS because I want the Toradora poster, too!

2. Toradora aside, and I mean all of the anime sold in general, we are not living in the "Roaring 20's" of the anime industry. We are not living in the times of the anime boom. Pokemon did not just come out yesterday. Whether we like it or not, we are living in the "Great Depression" of the anime industry. You are going to have to scrape by with what anime we can get from the anime "soup lines". If this means that your favorite anime is coming out in sub-only form, you BUY it in sub-only form. You don't grouse and bitch and moan about "Oh no! There is no dub! I am not buying!" You no longer have the luxury of buying/not buying an anime SIMPLY because there is/is not a dub. If you liked the show when you saw the free, sub-only version, it is your DUTY to buy the dvds when they become available to buy. Period.

If you want to do nothing and not save Anime simply because there is no dub, that will your cross to bear, not mine!
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Now if only we had a release date for the 2nd half. Very Happy
My brother is hoping it'll be released sometime around Christmas - that way he knows what to ask me for. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9