• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Powerpuff Girls Anime Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annie_Jr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Shiki MSHTS wrote:
Ranmah wrote:

The PPG Anime is a natural evolution of the characters

I'd think of it more as a spin-off than an actual evolution. Really.
You hit the nail in the wood with that one. Very Happy
jtnishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to wonder, though. There are points made on a cosplay.com thread that there doesn't appear to be a press release to back these things up. I took a quick look at the Japanese sites, and while my Japanese is relatively pathetic at best, I don't see anything about this on those sites either. Editors, normally, this would be taken as fact, but just to placate those still unsure, how did you confirm the information about the series as something more than just a joke? Is this even a done deal by any means?
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Hi no Neko wrote:
By the way, am I the only one seeing some reffernces to Ojamajo Doremi (Those weird fairy things in the pilot.) and Super Doll Licca-chan? (The outfits, as well as Blossoms' yo-yo.) Or Is that just my overactive imagination?

I immediately thought of Ojamajo Doremi when I saw the shots of those Mini-PPGs! I wonder what those things really are, and just what their purpose is....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sketchee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
aisasami

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
Hi no Neko wrote:
By the way, am I the only one seeing some reffernces to Ojamajo Doremi (Those weird fairy things in the pilot.) and Super Doll Licca-chan? (The outfits, as well as Blossoms' yo-yo.) Or Is that just my overactive imagination?

I immediately thought of Ojamajo Doremi when I saw the shots of those Mini-PPGs! I wonder what those things really are, and just what their purpose is....

Also, Hiromi Seki is going to produce this anime with 2 other people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Anybody check out those video clips from that site Sketchee posted? Shocked

I assume they're recorded from a camcorder since I can hear the background noises.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. I wonder how old they are. They certainly look like classic 1-B material to me.

(Whoever understands that gets a cookie)

I hope Keane-sensei got promoted.
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
This thread at Toon Zone may be of interest.

Quote:
By April 2006, the joint venture is expected to be producing weekly episodes for three shows, at a budget of 20 million yen (U.S. $190,000) per episode, 20 to 50 percent higher than the current average budget for anime TV series. The added budget will be spent on higher-than-average quality animation using more animators and other staff than is typically used in anime.

Worth reading the whole thread, too, some interesting points on what exactly this may or may not mean - mind you, this is mostly speculation at this point.

Also, like to quote this for emphasis:
Quote:
CNF: The Fansite: One of the hallmarks of the series is the stylistic, bold design. How did that come about?
C. McCracken: I'm a big fan of 50's and 60's animation design (UPA, Hanna Barbera, Jay Ward, Ward Kimball, Tom Oreb, Underdog, etc.) and the show is just my attempt to push that style further.

In other words, it's really not as heavily anime influenced as so many claim it to be.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:43 pm Reply with quote
jtnishi wrote:
I'm starting to wonder, though. There are points made on a cosplay.com thread that there doesn't appear to be a press release to back these things up. I took a quick look at the Japanese sites, and while my Japanese is relatively pathetic at best, I don't see anything about this on those sites either. Editors, normally, this would be taken as fact, but just to placate those still unsure, how did you confirm the information about the series as something more than just a joke? Is this even a done deal by any means?

I found what appears to be the official site for Demashitaa! Powerpuff Girls Z. Quite a few screencaps on there as well, but the site itself is in japanese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:00 pm Reply with quote
...I, uh, don't think that's official, especially considering the footage and screenshots on the site seem to have been taken from a camcorder and the home site is part of an "American Comics Fan-Site Japan Web-Ring ".
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how HIM will look like. Maybe he'll be like the transvestite in Abenobashi.
UltraManiac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote
This looks better than the original PPG cartoon. Finally, characters that look real with better designs. I also like the new weapons too. I think I will watch this when it comes out. Smile Razz
Shawn Fumo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I actually wonder if the setup of the weapons is a bit of a riff on Sukeban Deka? For those that don't know, this was a manga which spawned a multi-season live-action tv show, as well as an OVA and I think some movies? It starred three female schoolgirls who would fight crime with various innocuous weapons.

The main girl always used a yo-yo (also opened up to show a badge). The 80s show is great cheesiness as she explodes through doors and ties people up with the yo-yo (but always gets it back to her hand!). Had a metal chain instead of string and had to wear a protective glove. She'd even pose similar to one of the PPGZ pictures, with the open side of the yo-yo facing outward. She even had pink colored hair in the anime, which is a bit like blossom's color scheme (ok maybe a stretch).

The other two would have such weapons as metal origami cranes (razor wings!), marbles, or crochet needles. Maybe I'm just reading too much into things, but it certainly seems like someone in the design might have been influenced:

Anime pic:
http://carnage.fanfic.org/sd-anime2.jpg

Live-action show:
http://www.idollica.com/sukebanintro/SukebanDekaIntro.html
http://www.idollica.com/sukebanweapons/SukebanWeapons.html
Anyway, I'll reserve judgement on this until I actually see an episode. The character designs are cute, but I do also think the original show had a lot of magic to it.

Shawn
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Just ran across on another forum, 2 vid clips from the show, so I uploaded them, they're in mov format, meaning you need Apple's Quicktime Movie player to see them.

PPGZ Attack

PPGZ Transform
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
I found what appears to be the official site for [url=http://ppgcom.gooside.com/ppgz/index.html]

Judging from the quality of the site, pics and the used url, this does not seem to be the official site. Expect a prettier, flashier one for that Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7