• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's 2009 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.741 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
and your honestly going to pretend that the American anime market is doing fine?

-fixed.

Funimation is profiting, CR is growing, you have most stuff simulcasted, NIS is licensing more and more titles.

"Pretend," says doomsayer. Hello, welcome to 2011. Did you forget yourself in 2009?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
so far this year there are not much titles released that warrent me buying them - I look for interesting stories, art quality and rewatch value.
FMA, Guin saga, Eden of the east movies, Highschool of the Dead, and the rest of Gundam 00 are so far the only titles i think i will be buying this year.
sometimes it makes me wonder who choose the titles that are being released, every season there is usually 2 shows that are unique, yet are not picked for US distribution - with dubbing that is.
Wow. I agree completely with that sentiment. (Though not entirely with the shows you've listed) It's gotten to the point where I am faced with a conundrum: buy a crap/mediocre show just to support the excellent/good dub & the R1 company, or hold out for the elusive awesome show, and not support the R1 companies in the meantime.

To elaborate, I can't say I'm really interested in anything Sentai has lined up for the future, same with Funi. So, do I buy a mediocre show to support Funi & Sentai, or do I twiddle my thumbs while I wait for shows I want like Darker than Black:Ryuusei no Gemini or Golgo 13 III & IV, and hope that they don't die in the interim? Also, I know that the support of one average customer doesn't keep a company afloat, but if these companies tank during a period when I have foregone opportunity to support them, I'd feel horrible about it.
(Though MB is going to be getting a fair chunk of my change, so not all is lost.)
duofangirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am pretty sure that's not the answer on how to save the anime industry. Personally I think it's only a matter of time before the anime industry collapses. There is simply not enough people willing to make even miniscule sacrifices like watching anime on hulu instead of downloading it.

(If someone's already mentioned my following point, I apologize. I didn't read the whole thread.)

People thought the exact same thing of the music industry around the 1999-2003 era when Napster and Limewire were "ruining" it with downloads. Jokes like musicians not being able to afford their third mansion were funny to all of us, but the people in the music industry really thought they were seeing the end. Who was going to pay $15 for a CD when they could get unlimited songs for free? Everyone would choose free over paying anything, right? Apple made that gamble in 2003 when it released iTunes. Their goal was to reach 1 million song downloads in a year or so. They reach that goal in less than a week. After a year, iTunes was boasting over 70 million song downloads.

From a business standpoint, iTunes' success brings up a very important point; people *want* to pay for what they own, for their possessions. We all have different ideas as to what things are worth, but at the end of the day, people like supporting what they enjoy and don't really want to get it illegally. Obviously there are exceptions, people who'd rather get everything in life for free, but most people understand the world doesn't work this way.

I think the anime industry has fallen behind the times, and it kind of baffles me as to why. People are streaming their movies and television, downloading books on ereaders, and paying for it all happily. I myself have held off on buying an ereader as I wait to see which one the manga industry decides to go with. I have several manga series that are incomplete and out of print. These titles could make their respective publishers tons of money if they would just allow ereaders access to them. American comics are already on board and can't get enough of ereaders.

Same thing with streaming anime. I know there are various sites that have been streaming various shows for a while now, but are we really satisfied with them? What do we really want? I want to go to one site, be able to choose between subbed and dubbed, and watch my shows! I'm willing to pay, too! I wouldn't even mind if the site only allowed certain titles to be available for streaming for certain time periods like Netflix does for all of its streaming, just as long as they consider each series as a whole. None of this "episodes 5-12 now available" crap.

Wow, this got long-winded, sorry! In case my point got lost, what I'm saying is I don't believe the problem is with the anime or even the fandom. I believe it's the anime industry, Japan is you will, that is being ridiculously slow at keeping up with how people view their entertainment. At the end of the day, though I love the merchandise as much as any anime fan (I'm partial to wallscrolls, myself), it's the show that's gets us to buy the other stuff. We need a better way to access anime as a whole.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Intriguingly, moe~ shows hardly appear anywhere on the list at all. Clannad Complete Collection, for instance, ranks around 170th.

And Clannad After Story Complete Collection ranks 41st as of now.

And the only anime series ahead of it that hasn't appeared on cable TV is Claymore and Hetalia. I'd say that's pretty good, particularly since it's just a DVD collection

Along with all the Ghibli films, Eden of the East, and Summer Wars, to name the ones at the top if I look for "anime" and sort by sales. Unless you're one of those people who feel they must leap to the defense of moe~ shows under every circumstance, you'd have to agree that they don't constitute more than a small fraction of anime DVD sales in R1. That's true for most of the shows discussed on anime boards regardless of genre.

Quote:
One thing to understand is that those positions are only for a short period of time. As far as I know, there's no long-term top 100 sales chart of anything in Amazon.

Well you can see the total long-term sales rank for any release, but since anime shows usually rank well outside the top-1000 shows it's hard to learn much about their sales. Both Death Note box sets, to take a popular title that's been around for a while, rank below 7,000th in overall sales in Amazon's "Movies and TV" category.

None of this should come as a big surprise to anyone who pays attention to the R1 market.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what "anime series" means to you, but to me that means excluding films. Not to mention, Eden of the East, Hetalia, and Claymore are all currently on sale (56% off) whereas Clannad After Story is not.

And again, there is no long-term sales ranking for Amazon. That ranking for Death Note is short-term. Unless you really think that Evangelion 2.22 is the 82nd best selling thing ever for the "Movies & TV" department, which would be ludicrous.

Clannad After Story is now ranked #30 for Anime & Manga. Pretty dern impressive, but I doubt you would agree Very Happy
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Hetalia is moe, and Eden of the East has an entirely moe character. Also Clannad AS is more about drama than moe.

Do people realize they're looking at data from 2009?

Because K-ON! was just recently licensed, so there's no way it'd be there. Angel Beats and Bakemonogatari remain unlicensed. And Toradora [which also got licensed not long ago by a new company] seems to be doing well for a sub only release. And whatever else "moe" shall we discuss? Rozen Maiden, Kanon, Air, DTB 2?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
duofangirl wrote:
People thought the exact same thing of the music industry around the 1999-2003 era when Napster and Limewire were "ruining" it with downloads. ...

From a business standpoint, iTunes' success brings up a very important point; people *want* to pay for what they own, for their possessions. ...
Or that people want to feel like they control access to entertainment they consume repeatedly, like a song.

If iTunes proves that people "want to pay for what they own", it also proves that people do not want to pay as much as record companies were able to get in the LP/CD eras ... music industry revenue from media is down, and where they have made it up is by increasing revenues from performances ~ rather than concerts being a tool to push records, today it is more commonplace that records are a tool to push concert attendance.

Quote:
I think the anime industry has fallen behind the times, and it kind of baffles me as to why. People are streaming their movies and television, downloading books on ereaders, and paying for it all happily. I myself have held off on buying an ereader as I wait to see which one the manga industry decides to go with.
Part of that on the manga side comes from being a niche market ~ many of the ereaders do not support manga well, and most require labor intensive tuning of the digital files to get the best viewing experience on each device.

Quote:
I have several manga series that are incomplete and out of print. These titles could make their respective publishers tons of money if they would just allow ereaders access to them. American comics are already on board and can't get enough of ereaders.
The out of print series are not likely to generate a ton of money, though they could generate some. In the current ebook market, which is just a relatively small fraction of the total book market, the discontinued series are unlikely to generate the majority of the costs that are common to print and ebook editions.

Quote:
Same thing with streaming anime. I know there are various sites that have been streaming various shows for a while now, but are we really satisfied with them? What do we really want? I want to go to one site, be able to choose between subbed and dubbed, and watch my shows! I'm willing to pay, too! I wouldn't even mind if the site only allowed certain titles to be available for streaming for certain time periods like Netflix does for all of its streaming, just as long as they consider each series as a whole. None of this "episodes 5-12 now available" crap.
The risk is whether enough people are willing to pay. Crunchyroll kind of had to take the gamble, because they were not financially viable as a bootleg streaming host and so if the subscription model did not work, they were not really any worse off than where they started. But the other players have companies to lose if they gamble all their chips on a subscription model and for some reason it does not work out.

And if you are suggesting that the revenues that would be presently available for a dub anime subscription streaming site would be enough to cover the cost of a dub on its own ~ there's no evidence to suggest that it would be. It would, after all, only be a fraction of the revenue available from DVD sales, and for many series the prospective sales increase from including a dub are not sufficient to cover the cost of a dub.

Quote:
... We need a better way to access anime as a whole.
Since it only works as a better way to access anime if it works in the real world, as opposed to working in our imagination, it will be a slower and more frustrating process than imagining how things might be done. "Japan", that is the older decision makers in the Japanese anime industry, do indeed seem to be more part of the problem than part of the solution, but that goes with the terrain for the international licensees.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
The risk is whether enough people are willing to pay. Crunchyroll kind of had to take the gamble, because they were not financially viable as a bootleg streaming host and so if the subscription model did not work, they were not really any worse off than where they started. But the other players have companies to lose if they gamble all their chips on a subscription model and for some reason it does not work out.

That's ridiculous. The way of economics is the greater the risk the higher the return if sucessful. Of course it could always fail but if the industry is really as bad off as they want everyone to believe then the worst case scenario is they'll die off, and considering that is likely to happen anyway if they do nothing then they really don't have anything to lose. Honestly, the anime industry is full of excuses for reasons why they can't or won't make changes and they're incredibly pessimistic towards good ideas like subscription based networks. I understand that the Japanese play a big part in what's wrong with this picture but the american companies don't do much to help either. Their only idea as of late is pushing people to keep buying and urging people to steal to buy something. If that's their sure fire plan than they might as well make a gamble and do something more in line with offering more subscription services.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
agila61 wrote:
That's ridiculous. The way of economics is the greater the risk the higher the return if sucessful.
You've got the meaning of that upside down. The extra risk does not create the greater return ~ the "greater return" is because the return has to be at least sufficient to insure against the risk before its as good a deal as a lower risk, lower expected return investment, so for the many possible deals where the increase in risk is not justified by a prospect of a greater return, the prudent business decision is don't pursue those deals.

Quote:
Of course it could always fail but if the industry is really as bad off as they want everyone to believe then the worst case scenario is they'll die off, ...
Yes, that is the worst case scenario. A more likely scenario is that it finds a level of activity at which it is sustainable as a niche market.

Quote:
... and considering that is likely to happen anyway if they do nothing then they really don't have anything to lose.
But comparing any risky gamble we as fans might dream up ~ who are fantasy gambling with other people's money in this ~ to "doing nothing" is silly, since they are "doing something", even when what they are doing is not some particular fans pet hobby horse.

Internet Hyperventilating aside, Crunchyroll has its first 20+ simulcast season ever, Funimation is launching a new site, has fixed the Canadian "HuluBlock" and is likely to be starting a subscription option at their site sometime this year, FujiTV boasts that they are is simulcasting in six markets for the first time ever ~ it might pale in comparison to some of what we might dream up as fans, but on the other hand it is real progress.

Quote:
Honestly, the anime industry is full of excuses for reasons why they can't or won't make changes and they're incredibly pessimistic towards good ideas like subscription based networks.
Are you talking about the Japanese anime industry here or the international anime industry? If its the international anime industry, I don't think there are facts to back up the claim.

We have one subscription site with 20+ streams. Of the 13 simulcasts, all of the Americas, the UK and Ireland, Scandinavia and the Netherlands, Portugal and most of the Middle east have access to 10 or more of the streams. and except for France and some near neighbors, 6 or more streams are available everywhere outside of Asia.

We have one subscription site from the number three North American licensee offering a broad selection from their catalog with one simulcast a season, and the market leading licensee upgrading its site in preparation for launching a subscription service as we speak.

We have subscription services recently started in France, and launching this season in the UK/Ireland and in Australia/NZ.

It would be nonsense to characterize that as international licensees being "incredible pessimistic toward subscription sites".

Quote:
I understand that the Japanese play a big part in what's wrong with this picture but the american companies don't do much to help either. Their only idea as of late is pushing people to keep buying and urging people to steal to buy something. If that's their sure fire plan than they might as well make a gamble and do something more in line with offering more subscription services.
It would be gross negligence if they did not "push people to keep buying", but it would be absurd to claim that is all they are doing.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
zcooldoc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
so far this year there are not much titles released that warrent me buying them - I look for interesting stories, art quality and rewatch value.
FMA, Guin saga, Eden of the east movies, Highschool of the Dead, and the rest of Gundam 00 are so far the only titles i think i will be buying this year.
sometimes it makes me wonder who choose the titles that are being released, every season there is usually 2 shows that are unique, yet are not picked for US distribution - with dubbing that is.
Wow. I agree completely with that sentiment. (Though not entirely with the shows you've listed) It's gotten to the point where I am faced with a conundrum: buy a crap/mediocre show just to support the excellent/good dub & the R1 company, or hold out for the elusive awesome show, and not support the R1 companies in the meantime.

To elaborate, I can't say I'm really interested in anything Sentai has lined up for the future, same with Funi. So, do I buy a mediocre show to support Funi & Sentai, or do I twiddle my thumbs while I wait for shows I want like Darker than Black:Ryuusei no Gemini or Golgo 13 III & IV, and hope that they don't die in the interim? Also, I know that the support of one average customer doesn't keep a company afloat, but if these companies tank during a period when I have foregone opportunity to support them, I'd feel horrible about it.
(Though MB is going to be getting a fair chunk of my change, so not all is lost.)

just you know, i will definitely be getting Darker than Black:Ryuusei no Gemini or Golgo 13 III & IV i did not list them because i was not informed that they were licensed.

i have also bought many shows - especially from funi - and i am sorry to say were awful - now i always preview the show - rent etc, then i buy it.

oh yah a final thought after glancing over some of what have been said in here, i like to have a physical copy of my show, it make it easy to watch whatever/whenever and to pass on the love of anime to others.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:01 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

We have one subscription site with 20+ streams. Of the 13 simulcasts, all of the Americas, the UK and Ireland, Scandinavia and the Netherlands, Portugal and most of the Middle east have access to 10 or more of the streams. and except for France and some near neighbors, 6 or more streams are available everywhere outside of Asia.

We have one subscription site from the number three North American licensee offering a broad selection from their catalog with one simulcast a season, and the market leading licensee upgrading its site in preparation for launching a subscription service as we speak.

We have subscription services recently started in France, and launching this season in the UK/Ireland and in Australia/NZ.

It would be nonsense to characterize that as international licensees being "incredible pessimistic toward subscription sites".

the pessimistic notion comes more from the state of industry panel they did at otakon a year or two back and more aimed towards the American market and less so the international market. ANN actually had the video up of it for a little while back when it happened. Anyway it was a pannel of fansubbers, and some people from funi and media blasters, and it was a rep from media blasters who actually led me to believe that a lot of people in the industry don't have much faith in the online stream market to help keep this boat afloat. That's great that there are so many simulcasts and subscription based campaigns popping up and perhaps that rep from MB shares different views then the rest of the industry, but it's a little hard for me to believe that when a lot of them are quicker to point fingers at pirates and fans for not buying. Not that pirates shouldn't be held accountable, but it just seems like a lot more energy is being put into that instead of moving forward in making subscription streams more of a viable and profitable way forward as the dvd market grows bleak.
duofangirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:05 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

If iTunes proves that people "want to pay for what they own", it also proves that people do not want to pay as much as record companies were able to get in the LP/CD eras ... music industry revenue from media is down, and where they have made it up is by increasing revenues from performances ~ rather than concerts being a tool to push records, today it is more commonplace that records are a tool to push concert attendance.
Absolutely, but back when I worked hard on my anime DVD collection, I never found myself saying, "Wow! $25 for a DVD?! That's so cheap!" Compromises will have to be made, but the other side of the coin is it's cheaper to stream video than it is to provide DVDs.
agila61 wrote:
Part of that on the manga side comes from being a niche market ~ many of the ereaders do not support manga well, and most require labor intensive tuning of the digital files to get the best viewing experience on each device.
I have to disagree with you, one because of this http://gizmodo.com/#!5792759/ebooks-are-now-overtaking-all-other-formats. Two, I have no idea where you get the idea that ereaders don't support manga well or that it is a tedious task to make the files. People have already scanned and put their own manga on their ereaders and love it.
agila61 wrote:
The out of print series are not likely to generate a ton of money, though they could generate some. In the current ebook market, which is just a relatively small fraction of the total book market, the discontinued series are unlikely to generate the majority of the costs that are common to print and ebook editions.
The point isn't to make a lot of money with out of print books, the point is it would cost very little to make old popular series available to people. From there, it's like free money for those who made the books in the first place.
agila61 wrote:
Netflix is so successful in their streaming market that they are now trying to phase out mailing you DVDs. I believe a well-made streaming site for anime can have similar success.
agila61 wrote:
And if you are suggesting that the revenues that would be presently available for a dub anime subscription streaming site would be enough to cover the cost of a dub on its own ~ there's no evidence to suggest that it would be. It would, after all, only be a fraction of the revenue available from DVD sales, and for many series the prospective sales increase from including a dub are not sufficient to cover the cost of a dub.
Um....what? How did you think I was suggesting this? o.O
agila61 wrote:
Since it only works as a better way to access anime if it works in the real world, as opposed to working in our imagination, it will be a slower and more frustrating process than imagining how things might be done. "Japan", that is the older decision makers in the Japanese anime industry, do indeed seem to be more part of the problem than part of the solution, but that goes with the terrain for the international licensees.
You can call it my imagination, but the facts remain that most media entertainment is going online, and when it does, it works out very well. Even the video game industry has mentioned many times in recent years that it is headed in that direction and hopes to phase out discs in the near future.
I hope this clarifies what I was trying to say! Smile
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:12 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
the pessimistic notion comes more from the state of industry panel they did at otakon a year or two back and more aimed towards the American market and less so the international market.
When I said international market, that includes the US ~ for anime, the domestic market is inside Japan.

What did you want them to say? We've got the figures right there, and for their part of the market, its been nothing but downward slide since 2007 ~ with manga starting its downward slide in 2008.

And listening to the ANNcast last year on the Geneon collapse, some of the market expansion was on an unsustainable basis ~ signing titles right and left in order to be able to have names to give projected sales for to "hit budget", when the reality was that their working definition of a good title was one that they did not lose as much money on.

Quote:
ANN actually had the video up of it for a little while back when it happened. Anyway it was a pannel of fansubbers, and some people from funi and media blasters, and it was a rep from media blasters who actually led me to believe that a lot of people in the industry don't have much faith in the online stream market to help keep this boat afloat.
And it would be foolhardy for them to proceed on nothing but faith. If they were responding to a notion that streaming all by itself under the costs and revenues available at that time could sustain the industry, the only honest answer is that the revenues then (or presently) available from streaming cannot replace the revenue flows from DVD's, all by themselves.

Quote:
That's great that there are so many simulcasts and subscription based campaigns popping up and perhaps that rep from MB shares different views then the rest of the industry, but it's a little hard for me to believe that when a lot of them are quicker to point fingers at pirates and fans for not buying. Not that pirates shouldn't be held accountable, but it just seems like a lot more energy is being put into that instead of moving forward in making subscription streams more of a viable and profitable way forward as the dvd market grows bleak.
But that is a panel at a con, presumably talking to fans, not a business strategy meeting, or a meeting with reps of the content creators ~ addressing what fans can do is different from setting strategy for what a company is going to do.

I just read at mania.com Shiroi Hane quoting someone from Funimation confirming that they lose money on free streams they host on their own system:
Quote:
Most of our videos are Hulu embeds because it cuts bandwidth costs. More videos on Hulu means more anime for you.

Since ad revenue doesn't really cover all the bandwidth cost of hosting streaming video, Hulu enables us to actually make money on it. We get part of the ad revenue from Hulu as well as the ad revenue from the ad on the video player page.

Not everything is hosted on Hulu. Those videos that aren't on Hulu (trailers, clips, and some of the episodes) are on the FUNimation video player.

If you live in Canada, you get to use the FUNimation video player all the time since Hulu is only available in the U.S.
... so its not as if there is this big river of money that anime companies are refusing to dip their bucket into. Even for the US media market as a whole, digital is only 17% of the total revenue as DVD.
matrixdude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
Outch, it's sad to hear that the majority of the industry is just character goods sales. It's a shrinking consumer base, in terms of who actually buys stuff these days.
Eri94

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
[The out of print series are not likely to generate a ton of money, though they could generate some. In the current ebook market, which is just a relatively small fraction of the total book market, the discontinued series are unlikely to generate the majority of the costs that are common to print and ebook editions.
Small fraction? Hardly. Amazon sold more digital copies of books than physical. http://www.mediaite.com/online/e-book-sales-now-surpassing-actual-book-sales-cars-however-continue-to-refuse-to-fly/

duofangirl wrote:
snip

The reason why this worked for Apple is because people rarely like all the songs on an album. For the longest time people would have to buy entire albums just to obtain the few songs they liked. And it sucked. But there was no other option. With iTunes, you can now grab those few songs you really like, or some of the current hits, without paying for the entire album you weren't gonna listen to anyway.

However, anime is not this way. Almost no one buys and wants just one episode of an anime series. They want the whole thing. Which is where it completely veers off from iTunes's course, the thing that has made iTunes successful.

As I said, due to rarely wanting a whole album, people had no problems only "digitally" owning all their songs. With anime, why pay about the same when you only get a digital copy, that could very well get easily lost? I know I wouldn't, and neither would a lot of people. They want the whole set, and this is why digital alone won't save the industry.

I've no doubt it will help, but it will only do just that, help.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6