• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-02-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm curious to know if anyone's ever gotten rich opening an anime shop.

I've never heard of it happenning.

The margins on DVDs and manga are non-existant. You need to sell thsoe items to bring customers into the store, but you make your money on other things, merchandise and imports for example.

-t
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Zac, you can always talk to beelzebozo about what is is like owning an Anime shop.
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
The coughing up of blood (Hemoptysis) is one of the major symptoms of Tuberculosis (TB).

Those of us with access to advanced Western medicine probably haven't seen a case of TB, at least nothing that could be considered commonplace. However in the rest of the world, TB is a far more common reality of life.

Thus it would make sense, espically in period pieces to have the "sickly" character have "consumption" TB.

Think Doc Holiday in Tombstone for a Hollywood equlivalent...

Ah, you beat me to it! I was just thinking of poor Hyatt from Excel Saga who was always coughing up blood and convienantly dropping dead every few episodes.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Bloody hell mate! That guy with the girlfriend who will watch anime with him doesn't know how lucky he is. Her indoors wouldn't sit down and watch one even if I paid her to. Laughing
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote
I feel the guy who can't get his girlfriend to even try Gundam's pain. I have the opposite problem, where I can't get my boyfriend to watch certain animes. I had to twist him arm (almost literally) to get him to check out just *two* episodes of Princess Tutu (and that was partially Answerman's fault for describing it as the girliest anime ever, or something to that effect, which my boyfriend quoted to me verbatim when I said he should watch it).
Now, I know that finding a significant other that likes anime should be considered a godsend, but I mean, would it KILL him to make me happy and just go along with me on this? I mean, I check out every anime he suggests, whether I have any interest in or not, so is it too much to return the favor. To him, apparently the answer is yes. Anime hyper
I've told him all that, but to no avail. *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:12 am Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
I feel the guy who can't get his girlfriend to even try Gundam's pain. I have the opposite problem, where I can't get my boyfriend to watch certain animes. I had to twist him arm (almost literally) to get him to check out just *two* episodes of Princess Tutu

;p If you were a normal dude, would you sit down and watch a show called Princess Tutu? I can't possibly think of a sissier name, except maybe Snow Fairy Sugar.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
;p If you were a normal dude, would you sit down and watch a show called Princess Tutu? I can't possibly think of a sissier name, except maybe Snow Fairy Sugar.

I don't know, Yukikaze might have been a hit with the guys if it were still called Battle Fairy.
dright

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:06 am Reply with quote
About the blood cough... Well, I am from Taiwan, and blood cough is used almost always to show that a person is very sick in all kinds of shows. However, I've never doubted it. I don't think it's TB. Everyone needs to take TB vaccine so there is very few TB cases in Taiwan (and I believe in Japan too). On the other hand, a lot of people suffer from lung desease -- my grandfather died of it, too. Three days before he passed away, he started to cough with blood. It was a really really horrible scene. And when I visited him in the hospital, I heard a lot of older people coughing. It was very depressing.

In Asian countries, blood cough is actually more a symbol than a symptom. Blood cough can be used to describe that a person is very angry, depressed, sad, etc. Basically it can describe someone suffering from a tremendous negative emotion.

Somehow it's like nose bleeding when seeing some echi or hentai scenes. I think human blood should flow to "the other direction." I don't know why Japanese came up with that idea.

I think I can understand why blood cough is used so often. It has sound and visual. Depending on the drama, a blood cough scene can be shocking, or sad, or heroic, or beautiful. Personally I just don't find it amusing that a lot of shows use it as a symbol for serious health condition -- in my country lung desease accounts for 5% of death. Another scene that is used often for bad health is a person with pale skin and little hair, a result of chemotherapy. Cancer accounts for more than 25% of death in Taiwan, and I believe even more in Japan.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:30 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Some of my friend that are korean told me they have dog farm there.

Be careful who you talk about that to. While some Koreans (mostly older, poorer ones) do eat dog still, a lot of younger Koreans are pretty ashamed of it, and joking about it is a racial faux-pas. It's kind of associated with being a peasant. (Same goes for parts of China.)

Just one of the many interesting generational issues that comes up when a country goes from third-world to ultra-industrialized in about a decade.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:24 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
darkhunter wrote:
Some of my friend that are korean told me they have dog farm there.

Be careful who you talk about that to. While some Koreans (mostly older, poorer ones) do eat dog still, a lot of younger Koreans are pretty ashamed of it, and joking about it is a racial faux-pas. It's kind of associated with being a peasant. (Same goes for parts of China.)

Just one of the many interesting generational issues that comes up when a country goes from third-world to ultra-industrialized in about a decade.

I don't tend to make fun of other culture's consumption predispositions. Heck, Jeff Steingarten, the food critic for Vogue, swears that the best French Fries he'd ever had were cooked in Horse fat. Yum.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:07 am Reply with quote
TheoryGirl wrote:
I feel the guy who can't get his girlfriend to even try Gundam's pain. I have the opposite problem, where I can't get my boyfriend to watch certain animes. I had to twist him arm (almost literally) to get him to check out just *two* episodes of Princess Tutu.
Now, I know that finding a significant other that likes anime should be considered a godsend, but I mean, would it KILL him to make me happy and just go along with me on this? I mean, I check out every anime he suggests, whether I have any interest in or not, so is it too much to return the favor. To him, apparently the answer is yes. Anime hyper
I've told him all that, but to no avail. *sigh*

Long before I ever got into anime, I willingly watched and/or enjoyed many girly movies and TV shows. After all, wouldn't girls love to have a boyfriend who would be willing to sit down with them and watch "Stepmom" or "Dawson's Creek"? The answer: not as much as one would think. Sure, enjoying these sorts of entertainment (along with shows like Sailor Moon, CCS, Snow Fairy Sugar, Utena, Aishiteru ze Baby, etc., upon getting into anime) can help a guy to be a more well-rounded individual and to be more "in touch" with his feminine side. However, there's also the unfortunate side effect of being seen as "too girly" and thus not dateable.
A guy who is into manly things (sports, cars, "manly" anime series) presents conflict, challenge, and difference to a girl, whereas a guy with more feminine interests is seen as "too similar" and lacking those three qualities, and is thus classified as "just a friend."
Essentially, it's one of the modern signals that allows unconscious differentiation between "masculine" (strong, dominant, confident, a leader, alpha male) and "feminine," which in this context, if exhibited by a guy connotes weakness, submission, compliance, and being a follower, beta male--not desirable qualities.

Well, I don't want to sidetrack this thread any more than I already have, but suffice to say, it's not surprising that men enjoy these "manly" things and don't want to be seen as feminine by watching girly anime, as it would erode their sense of masculinity and/or their social status.

Luckily, I stopped caring long ago about maintaing a flawless facade of traditional masculinity. But still, I don't really feel like watching Princess Tutu either.
.Sy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Shocked The artbook...now that's very appealling. My chance of winning may be zero, but I'll give it a shot.

The first and second question of this column couldn't be farther apart. If you're going to try and produce and anime, at least spell correctly and learn some grammar.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:42 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
TheoryGirl wrote:
I feel the guy who can't get his girlfriend to even try Gundam's pain. I have the opposite problem, where I can't get my boyfriend to watch certain animes. I had to twist him arm (almost literally) to get him to check out just *two* episodes of Princess Tutu

I know, that's one of the strikes Tutu has against it. The silly title puts people off, but the series is so good! *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
TheoryGirl wrote:

I would. I watched and own entire series of Sugar, and although I haven't had the time to follow Tutu, I've watched more episodes of it than Gundam.

Okay, I'm not your "normal dude." Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Pop-Art Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Slightly silly question: I take it submissions are just sent to the Answerman email address, the same as one would for submitting a question, probably with some nifty subject line like Contest Entry or the like?

Should a return email address be included as well?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6