• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Dub.DVD - Rock the Dragon Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I also highly suspect that this release exists to give the "Over 9000" MEMEiacs their pleasure. Rolling Eyes
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
@ YamadaKun, how old were you when these eps aired in 1996-1998?

On topic, have these already via Pioneer releases of dvds, vhs, and taped off CN. For why Funimation is releasing this, Mr. Dibiase explains it best.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
You can say that, but there are things in this world which are either sucky or great. I can understand vegetarians not liking Big Macs, but for meat eaters, how can they resist the juicy, succulent taste of a Big Mac? If they do resist it, that's their loss.

Yes, there are things in this world that are sucky or great... in people's minds. Once again, those are called OPINIONS. Wink What defines sucky and great can (and does) vary from person to person.

Oh, and not all meat eaters like Big Macs. Wink

Storytelling isn't as invisible an art as some make it out to be. A story is a machine with multiple parts acting to take it to its natural conclusion. Writing, as a practice, as well as what it produces, can be objectively dissected and analyzed. Attempting to apply blanket subjectivity in order to put every person's opinion on the same level also ignores that experience, authority, and study in film analysis have any poignancy. It smacks of the sort of anti-intellectualism that's running rampant in this country. If everything is subjective then there's no point to the pursuit of knowledge because what you encounter only means as much as you think it means and you can't be right or wrong either way. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that's a laughable idea.

No one person's opinion matters more than any one else's. We're all created equal, and no view is "higher" than one another's. A story cannot factually be good or bad. I personally think DBZ for instance has a fantastic story that's highly entertaining and is fun to watch while still having many fascinating and even touching moments. Not everyone would agree with that though. That's why it's called an OPINION. Wink

A story doesn't even need basic structure, and some could still find some value in it (and of course others won't). Some highly acclaimed films ignore the basic plot map (and of course, many panned ones do follow it). It of course helps to follow it, but some could still consider a story good as long as they personally like it. There's no "factual" good or bad in anything. Saying otherwise goes against the fact vs. opinion rule that you learned in 2nd grade.

jsc315 wrote:
Also people can like things that are awful and are acknowledged as so and people can still like them. A good 1/3 of my anime collection are awful and horrible animated anime and I love it for that specific reason. Just because it is awful and bad does not mean people still can not enjoy it in any way.

True, but some might consider titles from that 1/3 to be good and some from the other 2/3 to be bad. There are titles in my DVD collection that I think are bad, but still enjoy watching anyway (like half of the Friday the 13th movies).
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
I grew up on the Funi dubs, so that's how the characters sound to me, and I'm very happy for the Kai redubs, so now I can hear their voices in a much better done version. Whenever I listen to the Ocean dub, it is downright bizarre to hear those voices, especially Vegeta's *shudder*.

I never took DBZ to seriously, and super faithfulness to the Japanese version was never something I really cared about. It's old, campy as hell even at it's most serious moments, and I enjoyed the version Funi put out for what it was.

I don't know how some of you guys are able to keep the 15 or so DBZ releases Funi has done straight, but I'm just going to assume that I will be just fine and happy with my Kai sets.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
You can say that, but there are things in this world which are either sucky or great. I can understand vegetarians not liking Big Macs, but for meat eaters, how can they resist the juicy, succulent taste of a Big Mac? If they do resist it, that's their loss.

Yes, there are things in this world that are sucky or great... in people's minds. Once again, those are called OPINIONS. Wink What defines sucky and great can (and does) vary from person to person.

Oh, and not all meat eaters like Big Macs. Wink

Storytelling isn't as invisible an art as some make it out to be. A story is a machine with multiple parts acting to take it to its natural conclusion. Writing, as a practice, as well as what it produces, can be objectively dissected and analyzed. Attempting to apply blanket subjectivity in order to put every person's opinion on the same level also ignores that experience, authority, and study in film analysis have any poignancy. It smacks of the sort of anti-intellectualism that's running rampant in this country. If everything is subjective then there's no point to the pursuit of knowledge because what you encounter only means as much as you think it means and you can't be right or wrong either way. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that's a laughable idea.

No one person's opinion matters more than any one else's. We're all created equal, and no view is "higher" than one another's. A story cannot factually be good or bad. I personally think DBZ for instance has a fantastic story that's highly entertaining and is fun to watch while still having many fascinating and even touching moments. Not everyone would agree with that though. That's why it's called an OPINION. Wink

A story doesn't even need basic structure, and some could still find some value in it (and of course others won't). Some highly acclaimed films ignore the basic plot map (and of course, many panned ones do follow it). It of course helps to follow it, but some could still consider a story good as long as they personally like it. There's no "factual" good or bad in anything. Saying otherwise goes against the fact vs. opinion rule that you learned in 2nd grade.

jsc315 wrote:
Also people can like things that are awful and are acknowledged as so and people can still like them. A good 1/3 of my anime collection are awful and horrible animated anime and I love it for that specific reason. Just because it is awful and bad does not mean people still can not enjoy it in any way.

True, but some might consider titles from that 1/3 to be good and some from the other 2/3 to be bad. There are titles in my DVD collection that I think are bad, but still enjoy watching anyway (like half of the Friday the 13th movies).

Wow. Reductivism; Communism; Anti-Intellectualism; is there even any point in wasting my time with you? I bet Daniel Postman is spinning in his grave.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote
Ill pick this up and retire the VHS tapes.

Vegeta: "It's over 9000!"

Vegeta says to Goku: "But your father was a brilliant scientist"

Krillin and Gohan: "Were are just a couple of wild and crazy space aliens"

Cheesy yes but collectable for those that have gone this far in, for sure. Vegeta's epic yells alone are worth this set.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:19 am Reply with quote
@Hitokiri Kenshin Old enough. I probably didn't catch the dub on syndication. I caught it on Cartoon Network. Even back then, it was pretty horrific to say the least. Then around 1999, an even worse dub came out. I watched the dub not, because it was good, but to get a laugh of it's awfulness. I also got the movie dubs, when they came out on DVD and I compared the subtitles to the dub and thought, "Why couldn't we get this on TV? Why does the one on TV sound like utter crap, compared to this?"
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
If a show can be considered objectively good or bad then no one would disagree on anything. People like what they like and that's a fact. That's not anti-intellectualism or whatever. People can still have debate and discussion, but to call someone's opinion flat out wrong is a conversational dead end and only serves to inflate your ego. But then that's just my opinion Wink.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Wow. Reductivism; Communism; Anti-Intellectualism; is there even any point in wasting my time with you? I bet Daniel Postman is spinning in his grave.

What the heck are you talking about?
zaphdash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
No one person's opinion matters more than any one else's. We're all created equal, and no view is "higher" than one another's. A story cannot factually be good or bad. I personally think DBZ for instance has a fantastic story that's highly entertaining and is fun to watch while still having many fascinating and even touching moments. Not everyone would agree with that though. That's why it's called an OPINION. ;)

Well, this is plainly not true. The opinion of someone with expertise in a field clearly weighs more heavily than the opinion of a novice. If your doctor thinks you have lung cancer, you don't ask your neighbor for a second opinion, you go see another doctor. If Obama wants advice on how to handle the Syria situation, he's not coming to an anime message board, he's consulting his Middle East experts. That these examples are considerably more serious and significant than a disagreement over whether a TV show has a good story doesn't make them qualitatively different. Storytelling is an artform thousands of years old. There are objectively better and worse ways to tell a story. There is not always a sharply defined line between a good story and a bad story, but there is nonetheless a point where subjectivity has to give way to objectivity. That doesn't mean you're "right" or "wrong" to derive subjective enjoyment from a story. I had fun watching Bleach even though that story was a mess, and if I were willing to give it any thought I could probably come up with an anime with a very well-told story that I nonetheless just didn't enjoy. Your subjective experience isn't required to conform to a more objective assessment, but that doesn't mean that more objective assessment can't be made.

That said, there's not much that is objectively wrong with DBZ's story (in terms of structure, progression, etc).

Quote:

Every story must be structured somehow. Some storytellers "ignore the basic plot map" because they've mastered their craft such that they aren't beholden to "Save the Cat" anymore. Those who can pull this off are few in number. They haven't discarded structure, they've found another structure that works. The line between those whose new structure works and those who simply don't know what they're doing in the first place may appear very fine to the untrained eye, but the line is there nonetheless. It's the same reason that if I give you some art supplies you might be able to come up with a picture that looks reasonably close to this, but nobody's going to hang it in an art museum because those who study art can easily tell that you aren't Picasso. Whether "some" consider something good doesn't make it so. Many things in this world are a grey area for sure, but not everything. There is plenty of room for subjectivity in art, but there can be objective answers as well.

zeo1fan wrote:

Not sure where you got communism from, or why you think it's on the same level as anti-intellectualism.

shamisen the great wrote:
If a show can be considered objectively good or bad then no one would disagree on anything. People like what they like and that's a fact. That's not anti-intellectualism or whatever. People can still have debate and discussion, but to call someone's opinion flat out wrong is a conversational dead end and only serves to inflate your ego. But then that's just my opinion :wink:.

People fight over objective facts all the time -- just look at the Republican Party. More to the point, there can be objective good and bad in storytelling, but the precise boundary between them is, in practice, quite hazy. This is in part because a lot of specific complaints someone might level against a story are entirely subjective. I said above that there's not much objectively wrong with DBZ's story. Nonetheless there are plenty of subjective criticisms you could level at it (a common example is that it's overly simplistic). At its most basic, DBZ's plot is Goku and friends run into strong guy, get stronger in order to fight him, barely manage to defeat him, run into stronger guy, lather, rinse, and repeat. The structure and progression are sound but whether you just find that story boring or unsatisfying is an entirely subjective call. I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Dragon Ball franchise, but I don't begrudge people who find that sort of story tiresome. That part is completely a matter of opinion, it's true, but the entire question is not necessarily a matter of opinion.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

What the heck are you talking about?

"No one person's opinion matters more than any one else's. We're all created equal, and no view is 'higher' than one another's. A story cannot factually be good or bad."

This, quite frankly, is bullshit. Not every opinion is equal. Education and experience do matter. For example; a film scholar would know more about measuring a film's quality than a culinary student. A scientist whose spent years in their field would likely know more than one whose only just begun. Not every opinion has the same worth. Objective quality does exist even if reactions to that quality are subjective. It's dangerous to conflate "I like." With "It's Good." And it's grossly ignorant to try to use ideology to invalidate authority and experience.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Well, this is plainly not true. The opinion of someone with expertise in a field clearly weighs more heavily than the opinion of a novice. If your doctor thinks you have lung cancer, you don't ask your neighbor for a second opinion, you go see another doctor. If Obama wants advice on how to handle the Syria situation, he's not coming to an anime message board, he's consulting his Middle East experts. That these examples are considerably more serious and significant than a disagreement over whether a TV show has a good story doesn't make them qualitatively different. Storytelling is an artform thousands of years old. There are objectively better and worse ways to tell a story. There is not always a sharply defined line between a good story and a bad story, but there is nonetheless a point where subjectivity has to give way to objectivity. That doesn't mean you're "right" or "wrong" to derive subjective enjoyment from a story. I had fun watching Bleach even though that story was a mess, and if I were willing to give it any thought I could probably come up with an anime with a very well-told story that I nonetheless just didn't enjoy. Your subjective experience isn't required to conform to a more objective assessment, but that doesn't mean that more objective assessment can't be made.

That said, there's not much that is objectively wrong with DBZ's story (in terms of structure, progression, etc).

Quote:

Every story must be structured somehow. Some storytellers "ignore the basic plot map" because they've mastered their craft such that they aren't beholden to "Save the Cat" anymore. Those who can pull this off are few in number. They haven't discarded structure, they've found another structure that works. The line between those whose new structure works and those who simply don't know what they're doing in the first place may appear very fine to the untrained eye, but the line is there nonetheless. It's the same reason that if I give you some art supplies you might be able to come up with a picture that looks reasonably close to this, but nobody's going to hang it in an art museum because those who study art can easily tell that you aren't Picasso. Whether "some" consider something good doesn't make it so. Many things in this world are a grey area for sure, but not everything. There is plenty of room for subjectivity in art, but there can be objective answers as well.

zeo1fan wrote:

Not sure where you got communism from, or why you think it's on the same level as anti-intellectualism.

shamisen the great wrote:
If a show can be considered objectively good or bad then no one would disagree on anything. People like what they like and that's a fact. That's not anti-intellectualism or whatever. People can still have debate and discussion, but to call someone's opinion flat out wrong is a conversational dead end and only serves to inflate your ego. But then that's just my opinion Wink.

People fight over objective facts all the time -- just look at the Republican Party. More to the point, there can be objective good and bad in storytelling, but the precise boundary between them is, in practice, quite hazy. This is in part because a lot of specific complaints someone might level against a story are entirely subjective. I said above that there's not much objectively wrong with DBZ's story. Nonetheless there are plenty of subjective criticisms you could level at it (a common example is that it's overly simplistic). At its most basic, DBZ's plot is Goku and friends run into strong guy, get stronger in order to fight him, barely manage to defeat him, run into stronger guy, lather, rinse, and repeat. The structure and progression are sound but whether you just find that story boring or unsatisfying is an entirely subjective call. I have a very soft spot in my heart for the Dragon Ball franchise, but I don't begrudge people who find that sort of story tiresome. That part is completely a matter of opinion, it's true, but the entire question is not necessarily a matter of opinion.

I identified at as such because historically speaking communism is an ideology that levels everyone to negative ends, which is what I perceived that commenter to be doing. I may have exaggerated, a bit. Confused But thank you for your comments; much appreciated.
WarHammer01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Radrappy wrote:
This was worth a purchase to me for Brian Drummond's Vegeta alone. Sabat's interpretation of the character has always been very stiff and lifeless, whereas Drummond brings enough charisma and energy to the role to feed a 3rd world country.

The only thing I hated about Funimation getting DBZ was the loss of Vegeta's original English voice. Unfortunately its also the thing I liked the most about DBZ. I can't get past Goku's Japanese voice to even try to watch it's original track.

Anyway, I'd buy this JUST for Vegeta. My favorite line is toward the end when he screams, "You won't escape, my wrath!!!" Gave me chills as a kid.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
@zero1fan Either way, everyone has a different view to everything. No two people on this earth have the same views. That's what makes this world so great. As long as something is "good" (or bad) to a specific person, that's all that matters as far as they are concerned. My personal viewpoint on a good story is that it's enjoyable. Absolutely nothing more.

Also, we're talking about a freaking anime/anime English dub here. The fact that something like communism was even BROUGHT UP is beyond silly and out-of-hand...
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
@zero1fan Either way, everyone has a different view to everything. No two people on this earth have the same views. That's what makes this world so great. As long as something is "good" (or bad) to a specific person, that's all that matters as far as they are concerned. My personal viewpoint on a good story is that it's enjoyable. Absolutely nothing more.

Also, we're talking about a freaking anime/anime English dub here. The fact that something like communism was even BROUGHT UP is beyond silly and out-of-hand...

I absolutely disagree. What matters is that a story is justified; what matters is that its theme(s) rings true; what matters is that the actions have properly illustrated the theme of the story. "Everyone has a different opinion" does not mean "Every opinion is equal" Your reasoning being that every person has something different, but valid, to contribute. They don't. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that those who take what they see at face value are easily manipulated; those who don't criticize the media they consume fall under its influence with relative ease. One of my favorite examples of this occurred in the early days of television when working class and middle class families began scrambling to attain an upper class lifestyle beyond their means because the television series of their day pushed it as an American ideal.

Actually, it's a perfectly apt subject to discuss in relation to anime when one is examining what results from thoughtless collectivism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7