• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What? Pikachu Sounds Like a Prostitute, Lynch Pokemon USA!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
So you're basing your entire editorial off of a couple overzealous fans, who chances are will continue to watch the dub anyway for no other reason than to bitch about it mercilessly? Brilliant! Also, by admitting that you haven't heard the new dub, you DO admit your ignorance to the situation. What if you'd see this dub and think it's good? Then what? You're essentially relying on other people to make your statements for you, and that's unprofessional.

I don't think you read his post carefully. He didn't say his info was from fans only.
tempest wrote:
My comments are based on those of others in the industry and fans. The "others in industry" part is important there, the comments come from people who know how much effort went into the new dub and who know about the contracts.

And why is it that not immediately watching it is considered ignorance? I'm sure that he will get around to watching it at some point. Now I haven't seen the new show, are you going to call me ignorant? Is everybody here at ANN who hasn't seen the new dub ignorant?
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid, I think you missed the point of the article. You seem very caught up with how tempest hasn't seen the new dub. Problem is, the article isn't about the quality of the dub. It's about who is responsible for the changes, irregardless of their quality.

In that sense, seeing the dub has no relevence at all. How does watching the new Pokemon dub give you insight into why the voices were changed? It can't, so why should it be required viewing for an article on just that?

In summary, whether the new dub is good or not is completely irrelevent. All the article really cares about is determining who caused the changes.

At least, that's what I came away from the article with.

Last edited by shadow_guyver on Fri May 05, 2006 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
coldspider

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

Now I ask you, why wasn't something like this written back then? Perhaps because it was "just Sonic". Then again, this is "just Pokemon". As a diehard Sonic fan for well over ten years, I'm insulted.

This is why..

Top Ten Selling Games of 2003

1.Madden NFL 2004
2.Pokemon Ruby
3.Pokemon Sapphire

4.Need For Speed:Underground
5.Zelda:The Wind Waker
6.Grand Theft Auto:Vice City
7.Mario Kart:Double Dash
8.Tony Hawk Underground
9.Enter The Matrix
10.Medal Of Honor:Rising Sun

http://www.npd.com/dynamic/releases/press_040126a.htm

Top Ten Selling Games of 2004

1.Grand Theft Auto:San Andreas
2.Halo 2
3.Madden NFL 2005
4.ESPN NFL 2K5
5.Need For Speed:Underground 2
6.Pokemon Fire Red
7.NBA Live 2005
8.Spider-Man:The Movie 2
9.Halo
10.ESPN NFL 2K5

http://www.npd.com/dynamic/releases/press_050119.html

Top Ten Selling Games of 2005

1.Madden NFL 06
2.Pokemon Emerald
3.Gran Turismo 4
4.Madden NFL 06
5.NCAA Football 06
6.Star Wars:Battlefront II
7.MVP Baseball 2005
8.Star Wars Episode III:Revenge of the Sith
9.NBA Live 06
10.Lego Star Wars

http://www.npd.com/dynamic/releases/press_060117.html

Then throw in that the anime had an 8 year run on Kids'WB while consistently being at the top of the broadcast ratings.So for now,Pokemon is more relevant than Sonic.

Don't get me wrong,I'm a HUGE Sonic fan as well.I grew up with the Sega Genesis so I'm one who believes that Sonic > Mario.I've played every Sonic game except for (sadly) Knuckles Chaotix.

Well,that and Shadow the Hedgehog.But only because I f*cking hate Shadow.And I'm glad that it didn't go over too well with the critics. >:)

Yashouzoid wrote:

And yet 4Kids can't be exposed for the cheap, incompetent boob-tubes that make up its executives, indicated by its failure to hire competent actors who actually care about their roles and have been working on said roles for six years before getting the boot because the company they want to work for hardly considers quality a priority.

I don't know,all the major VAs of the Pokemon dub have spoken out by either posting on the fan forums or through e-mail.So it does seem like they care about their characters in the Pokemon anime.They got plenty of other work at 4Kids,so it's not like they needed to do this.

Kouji wrote:
Why would Pokemon USA allow Funi to sub the movies when Pokemon USA doesn't have the rights to the movies? To my understanding, 4Kids still has the rights to all the Pokemon movies and episodes they've dubbed. Pokemon USA only has the rights to all the new episodes that haven't been dubbed yet, so unless 4Kids' rights to the Pokemon movies expires, I don't see how Pokemon USA could allow Funi to release the movies subbed.

Well Pokemon USA has the licensing the rights.It's up to them to sell the product to whoever they want.But like you said,movies 1 - 8 were dubbed by 4Kids.So I'm pretty sure 4Kids would get a cut of the profit if Pokemon USA decided to re-release the movies.Whether that applies to a subtitled re-release (*not* dubbed),that I don't know.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
This is why..

*long ass list*

Then throw in that the anime had an 8 year run on Kids'WB while consistently being at the top of the broadcast ratings.So for now,Pokemon is more relevant than Sonic.

I don't really find it relevant to the discussion. Sonic is still pretty popular. Not to the extent that Pokemon is, but considering this website's audience, should popularity even be a factor?

Quote:
Well,that and Shadow the Hedgehog.But only because I f*cking hate Shadow.And I'm glad that it didn't go over too well with the critics. >Smile

I rented Shadow once. It was better than Heroes at least >_>;

Quote:
I don't know,all the major VAs of the Pokemon dub have spoken out by either posting on the fan forums or through e-mail.So it does seem like they care about their characters in the Pokemon anime.They got plenty of other work at 4Kids,so it's not like they needed to do this.

I know Eric Stuart is whining like a baby about it, even though he's never particularly shown any concern for quality work (indicated by his voice direction for Yugioh, which is awful).

Quote:
Yashouzoid, I think you missed the point of the article. You seem very caught up with how tempest hasn't seen the new dub. Problem is, the article isn't about the quality of the dub. It's about who is responsible for the changes, irregardless of their quality.

I don't know, statements that essentially translate to "Pokemon USA is run by cheap bastards" would seem to be relative to dub quality, since if all the voices were nailed then we wouldn't have a problem. Now, notice how the first four paragraphs involved tempest voicing how the dub is terrible, even though he hasn't seen it.

Quote:
And why is it that not immediately watching it is considered ignorance? I'm sure that he will get around to watching it at some point. Now I haven't seen the new show, are you going to call me ignorant? Is everybody here at ANN who hasn't seen the new dub ignorant?

I didn't call him ignorant because he didn't see the new dub. I called him ignorant because he didn't see the new dub and proceeded to comment on how it sucks. Perhaps you're the one who didn't read my post carefully.
shadow_guyver

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess I see what you mean. I read the first few paragraphs as more of a comment on how the fanbase felt about the dub, and therefore why ANN is bothering to write up an article on the subject.

But once again, that's just what I got out of it.

Hmm. After going over it again, I think there were some bits that seemed more opinion than reporting the how the fans feel. Ah well, I still maintain that the point of the article has nothing to do with the dubs quality, but I see your point now.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I really don't see this as a bother to me, since I am not a patriarch of the show anymore. But tempest is right, if people have a problem about it, they should contact Pokemon USA. And if the games are still going strong, I don't see a fall yet.
coldspider

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

I don't really find it relevant to the discussion. Sonic is still pretty popular. Not to the extent that Pokemon is, but considering this website's audience, should popularity even be a factor?

Well what do you mean exactly? That ANN isn't a game centered site? Or people here aren't necessarily into Pokemon and/or Sonic?

Yashouzoid wrote:

I know Eric Stuart is whining like a baby about it, even though he's never particularly shown any concern for quality work (indicated by his voice direction for Yugioh, which is awful).

If Eric Stuart is the one responsible for the rampant overacting in Yugioh,then guilty as charged.Other than that,I thought the vocal performances were all okay.

But if we're talking about how bad the Yugioh dub is overall,I think more blame can be placed on the translators,scriptwriters,and of course all the numerous edits.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
coldspider wrote:
Well what do you mean exactly? That ANN isn't a game centered site? Or people here aren't necessarily into Pokemon and/or Sonic?

I mean that ANN is a more niche-centric site and that popularity shouldn't be a factor in what gets reported and what doesn't. Okay, that's not entirely true - more readers here have probably been associated with Pokemon than Sonic, but Sonic isn't exactly what you'd call "unknown".

Quote:
But if we're talking about how bad the Yugioh dub is overall,I think more blame can be placed on the translators,scriptwriters,and of course all the numerous edits.

Bad translation and awkward scripting make a dub bad in addition to melodramatic voice performances, sure, though the edits just make it a bad edit. Then again, the edit is the only version that's been made readily available, so there you go.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
So you're basing your entire editorial off of a couple overzealous fans

Do you do it on purpose? Do you really read what other people say and then twist into something different, or are you just incapable of paying attention to what others say?

Quote:
My comments are based on those of others in the industry and fans. The "others in industry" part is important there, the comments come from people who know how much effort went into the new dub and who know about the contracts.

Quote:
What I did do, is spend a significant amount of time reading comments and reviews by fans and writers alike who are fans of the show or follow out of a pedagogical or preofessional interest. On the fan side of things, I looked at sites that were very high brow as well as low brow ones.

Finally, I also spoke to people who were professionaly involved in the show's production for their opinions. Obviosuly it was necesarry to filter out their professional bias, but their opinions, since they were off the record, helped greately.

I'm not going to waste any more time repeating myself. If you say something intelligent that requires me to say something I haven't already said, I might endeavour to reply.

-t
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
The fact of the matter is that you wrote several paragraphs worth of article stating that the dub is trash, even though you only based your opinion off of what other people have said, and I really don't give a care if they're from the industry or if they're just fans. Everyone has some sort of bias in them, be it the fans or the "people in the industry" you claim to have consulted. The voice-overs have bias (I can understand being disappointed about not being able to voice your character anymore, but saying that the voices will be bad before the episode even airs is just being unreasonable and unnecessarily pessimistic). The fans have bias ("THOSE BASTARDS AT POKEMON USA WILL RUIN THE DUB here let me watch it anyway"). The people working with 4Kids and Pokemon USA have bias (4Kids employees have stated that Pokemon USA "doesn't care about quality" when their own company is guilty as charged).

The very fact that your article is littered with "From what I hear"s and "What people have told me"s discredits you greatly because you're ignorant to the argument of whether or not this is a blessing or a burden. But that's okay. You've done this plenty of times before with 4Kids-related controversies, no one gave a shit then.

And you still haven't answered my question as to why exposing Pokemon USA for the dirty bastards they are is so much more important than exposing 4Kids for the same thing, when they pulled this same bullshit on the Sonic series.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
well, I think he wrote it in a respectful way and I think you need to take a chill pill, Yashouzoid. Besides, it's only one show.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:26 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
well, I think he wrote it in a respectful way and I think you need to take a chill pill, Yashouzoid. Besides, it's only one show.

The reason I'm going on the offensive is because I recall tempest covering for 4Kids several times with bs reasons ("Oh the consumers are too stupid to know if it's uncut or cut"), and that now he's writing an article against Pokemon USA for cheating the original VAs out of their jobs, when 4Kids did the SAME EXACT THING just a couple of years ago.

That and he really shouldn't comment on the quality of the dub if he hasn't seen it.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

The reason I'm going on the offensive is because I recall tempest covering for 4Kids several times with bs reasons ("Oh the consumers are too stupid to know if it's uncut or cut"), and that now he's writing an article against Pokemon USA for cheating the original VAs out of their jobs, when 4Kids did the SAME EXACT THING just a couple of years ago.

That and he really shouldn't comment on the quality of the dub if he hasn't seen it.

I recall comments like that made from Al Kahn, but none from Tempest specifically. You may want to go back and double check that. If he didn't, you owe him an apology.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
You actually expected a good dub from 4kids? How naive.

fawhoooosh!
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
I recall comments like that made from Al Kahn, but none from Tempest specifically. You may want to go back and double check that. If he didn't, you owe him an apology.

From tempest, yes, I've heard that before. Perhaps I exaggerated it, but he has said essentially the same thing before (I think it was when Viz announced cut-only One Piece DVDs).

He's also said that One Piece was selling "very well" in America, even though at the time his statement was made, the show was doing very poorly in ratings on 4Kids TV and not all that hot on Toonami, and had zero merchandise.

Quote:
You actually expected a good dub from 4kids? How naive.

Yes... they're quite capable of doing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6