• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simultaneously Offer Kodansha Manga in 170 Countries

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myscatonia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
configspace wrote:
But what about anime-only members? Any discounts?

This. I only have an anime membership, because outside of North America, the amount of drama they actually have available is negligible, so it's not worth paying the extra for. But the manga service is something I'm very interested in.

well you can use VPNs... or better yet proxmate?

anyway, really glad about this. i hope other publishers would go on this route as well Smile
MaxSterling

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Very smart move, alot of times I'm too busy to head to Barnes or forgetful to shop on Amazon. With convenience and widespread access this is sure to be a success. Now Crunchyroll just needs to roll out on smaller platforms for it's video service on PS Vita like they previously announced and even Wii U.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Aside from ad-supported, current-chapter-only free option, they mentioned two plans: $4.99 a month and included in all access memership (the live action shows).

Also will there be discounts if we prepay for the year? (or is that figure already from the yearly plan)

They may have retired the annual and quarterly plans, since the last three years, there has been a CyberMonday sale, annual all-access for $50, and since that is $10 cheaper than their $60 anime-only annual plan was, it seems likely most annual and quarterly members have migrated to that plan. (Though if they continue that, I wouldn't be surprised if they priced it at $60.)

The per month $11.95 all-access wouldn't be a discount on the monthly $6.95 anime-only and $4.99 manga-only (its a $1.95 discount on separate $6.95 anime and drama memberships).

We will find out if there is a fourth anime/manga plan (If they have it, I'd guess its likely for for $9.95) on Wednesday.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ok, folks what I would like to see from Kodansha is Princess Resurrection 9 on! released here in the states! I own one - eight and have been waiting for the rest forever!
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
configspace wrote:
Aside from ad-supported, current-chapter-only free option, they mentioned two plans: $4.99 a month and included in all access memership (the live action shows).

Also will there be discounts if we prepay for the year? (or is that figure already from the yearly plan)

They may have retired the annual and quarterly plans, since the last three years, there has been a CyberMonday sale, annual all-access for $50, and since that is $10 cheaper than their $60 anime-only annual plan was, it seems likely most annual and quarterly members have migrated to that plan. (Though if they continue that, I wouldn't be surprised if they priced it at $60.)

The per month $11.95 all-access wouldn't be a discount on the monthly $6.95 anime-only and $4.99 manga-only (its a $1.95 discount on separate $6.95 anime and drama memberships).

We will find out if there is a fourth anime/manga plan (If they have it, I'd guess its likely for for $9.95) on Wednesday.

Thanks for the info. I'm a $6.95/month anime-only subscriber and I was wondering if this new manga subscription would be available bundled together in some way with the anime subscription. I'll look on Crunchyroll for announcements (that Cyber Monday deal sounds fantastic if they included the manga).

One way or the other, I'll get the manga subscription. So far Attack on Titan is the only manga I want to read out of the announced titles, but like with my anime subscription, which I signed up for when they first offered Naruto in legal streaming, you know they're obviously going to keep adding manga titles so it's bound to keep getting better and more worth it as it goes on. This is really exciting news.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
(that Cyber Monday deal sounds fantastic if they included the manga).

They were quite explicit about subscriber manga access being included in the "all-access" premium membership on the Crunchyroll News piece:
Quote:
Crunchyoll Manga is included free with a Crunchyroll All-Access membership.**

They've never promised that the CyberMonday deal would be repeated, but so far they've repeated it.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote
So are the translations actually any good? 'Cause I'll admit most of the reason I stopped reading manga is because I realized I could probably get better-sounding dialogue translating the original Japanese in my head.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
So are the translations actually any good?

That what I like to know, who's going to translate the manga in those localized language for each of the 170 countries??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
I doubt this will work.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ryusui wrote:
So are the translations actually any good?

That what I like to know, who's going to translate the manga in those localized language for each of the 170 countries??

It didn't say that ~ it says available in 170 different countries, not localized in the main language of each of 170 different countries. After all, Crunchyroll has had at least some anime available streaming to more than 170 countries since 2009, and for a long time that was English subtitles only.

They'll likely start out with English, then likely, given Crunchyroll's language-specific sites, eventually add Spanish and Portuguese.

And that might be it as far as languages goes. After all, since France is explicitly excluded (too big a manga market to compete with local licensors), they won't include French, unless they work out a deal with one of the French licensors.

Ryusui wrote:
... 'Cause I'll admit most of the reason I stopped reading manga is because I realized I could probably get better-sounding dialogue translating the original Japanese in my head.

JManga let you switch between English and Japanese. It'll be interesting to see on Wednesday whether Crunchyroll does the same thing.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
The manga is now live at Crunchyroll

Observations:
(1) There isn't a separate Manga account, at least not yet. So its all-access members with back title access, free members just have ad-supported "simulpub" access. Its not yet announced at the site if they'll have a manga account, but I would not be surprised if they are going to roll that out later, once they know all the bugs are stomped out, since someone who pays for a manga-only sub but is kept from reading the manga by a glitch is going to be a very unhappy camper.

(2) They are putting out "simulpubs" on schedule and catching up on back volumes as they can ... but for some titles the existing licenses do not allow them to put up back titles. For those, they say they are going to work to make the existing content available through the Crunchyroll shop.
ajr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Observations:
(1) There isn't a separate Manga account, at least not yet

It's $5/month for just Crunchy Manga, and all-access is $12/month. Kodansha's really looking good stateside what with all the Sailor Moon and Attack on Titan money, considering how recently they set up shop here. Maybe that's partly what lead them to be a little bolder than their competitors with digital distribution? Anyway, from what I saw poking around, the interface is okay, the title's aren't bottom of the barrel, the of subscription is very appealing. I think this could work.

I'm mostly interested in Space Brothers, but I've been thinking about getting Crunchyroll anyway for awhile now, so maybe I'll give Coppelion and some of the others a look.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
@ajr: It's pretty much JManga's reader without the ability to switch languages and a different skin, right down to the inability to remember zoom levels across pageturns. I'm guessing the idea's been baking ever since their old technical client failed.
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
You know, this isn't terrible, but having large chunks of manga featuring blank text bubbles is bad. Not ready for roll-out.

The image size is terribly small as well.

Seriously, do better than the scanlation sites please.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@ajr: It's pretty much JManga's reader without the ability to switch languages and a different skin, right down to the inability to remember zoom levels across pageturns. I'm guessing the idea's been baking ever since their old technical client failed.

Yes, as I understand it, Crunchyroll's originally pitched a concept closer to what they've rolled out here than the points & 'purchase' system the Japanese companies are used to being able to get away with in Japan.

Cash-strapped JManga seemed to have dropped Crunchyroll before implementing their Android app that was a shallow skin over the web access, with a buggy and unnecessarily confusing login process.

And, yes, at present their Flash based reader it has the same inability to remember zoom levels that plagues most Flash-based readers I've seen. I've already started lobbying them to have a zoom-lock setting in their reader. Re-zoom to the previous zoom level and hold the top right hand corner on screen, and it would be a much better reader.

I'm told the apps support panel-by-panel "Guided-View" reading, and panel-by-panel view is supported for all of their titles ~ that was how I preferred to read JManga titles on my netbook or 7" tablet, but JManga only supported Guided-View for a few titles. I'll check that out when my new tablet arrives.

However, unlike JManga, panel-by-panel reading is not an option for the flash based reader, only for the apps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6