• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Creator Kishimoto Talks End of the Series, International Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
Very well said, Tuor_of_Gondolin Bakuman introduced me to the idea that mangaka, especially those of long running serialized mainstream shonen (and to a lesser extent, shojo) are so often *encouraged* (read: forced) to continue their successful manga indefinitely that they may not know when or how to end it, or be allowed to end it when they want to. It's a shame; many fans gravitate toward manga because it's more likely to have an actual beginning, middle, and an end than western (read: American) mainstream comics. Well, at least they don't pass popular stories from author to author and end up with decades long convoluted continuities!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
If you have been into Manga and Anime for a while you will notice nearly every person that has started their stories have no clue how to finish them. Bad endings are upsetting but it has become the norm at this point. Don't expect monsters like One Piece or Berserk to have a satisfying ending either.

But on the other hand, NARUTO lost it's fire back in the day so it should be no surprise to anyone, because if it had not this thread would be 35 pages deep already. Meh.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
I think One Piece would have a pretty good shot, as the ending has already been planned out almost as soon as the series began, and every arc in One Piece was written with that ending in mind.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:10 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I think One Piece would have a pretty good shot, as the ending has already been planned out almost as soon as the series began, and every arc in One Piece was written with that ending in mind.

I agree that Oda is a truly masterful story-teller. Really, I'm rarely if ever disappointed by his plotlines and characterization. As such, he does indeed have a good chance at pulling off creating a compelling ending to a very long work. However, *even he* needs to beware, because no matter how good you are, you can only draw things out for so long before they go stale. I pray Oda, whose instincts I trust, avoids that trap and ends One-Piece in a timely manner and on a high note. But IMO, Naruto wasn't able to do that... not entirely, anyway.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Well, One Piece has been able to stay interesting for more chapters than Naruto's length. I'm sure this is due to Oda planning out the stories far in advance (for instance, he decided a skeletal musician named Brook would join the crew as the 9th member around when Luffy reached the Grand Line, a good 300 chapters prior).

Most shonen writers will make things up as they go, including Tsugumi Ohba with Death Note; I think Oda's refusal to do so, at least to that extent, gives him the edge as a storyteller.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5