• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-03]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote
FFXII is amazing! Hell, can I say Best PS2 Game Ever yet?!

I never really knew they used new openings mostly to just premote bands... Well, I got to say that the main reason I like it is because it can really get boring to watch the same one for 100 episodes, especially when they run over a minute long. Also, unlike sitcoms or other cartoons, most anime's tone and story often change through time; it just wouldn't fit any longer.
Duo Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or are these flakes just, well, becoming flakier? I know that sounded a bit weird, but seriously. Either these peolpe don't read the column, or Zac doesn't reply to their letters. I know the poeple who don't read the column and don't send such a letter in the first place have no way of knowing how the letter would be reacted to. But how many stupid people can there be? Actually, to know about the 'Hey Answerman' column, they would have most likely read it and would have most likely seen the 'Flake of the Week'. So, how many really stupid people are there?

Imo, I've got this feeling that some troll is crapping out these letters (the flakes,peoeple, stay with me for a bit more Laughing )and sending them to column to get a quick laugh. Even more so, is the slurry of silly posts of people saying, 'Heh heh, yeah that guys a loser huh isn't that right Zac amicool now?'
busyyuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Your theory seems to be based entirely on anecdotal evidence. I know a lot of people living in Japan and I asked them to read over my answer and they largely agreed. That's also anecdotal. You might be right, but I'm pretty sure I'm right, too.

Also I don't know what's going on here but "Zac" is me, and I am Answerman.

Sorry, I thought "Zac" was the one who wrote the question. My mistake.

With regard to anecdotal... well, yeah. Of course it is. I saw members of the American military members acting like idiots in Japan and an appropriate contempt from the surrounding Japanese people. It's not so much about "hate the white man" than hate the guys who are acting stupid because damn if I didn't hate them too.

Glad you've heard from your guys in Japan, but I myself and just about all the foreigners I saw there not only became well-adjusted, but were quite accepted as well. I know a guy who took up modeling in Tokyo. I know a guy who works at city hall in Shizuoka. I know a PhD Chinese culture student who met his Japanese wife in Taiwan. And I know way too many people who teach English and love what they do. Maybe your friends had bad experiences, but it is inaccurate and unfair to state that Japanese people as a whole are racism and ignorant about other cultures. Do they have problems? Of course they do. There are people who certainly don't warm up to foreigners, but it's not like we're innocent either ("freedom fries," anyone?). But I don't see why you're looking at this one example and making this claim. How about all the Japanese products that put Westerners in a good/neutral light? What about...

Grave of the Fireflies (and it would have been really easy to make the U.S. the bad guys here)
R.O.D.
Area 88
Lupin the 3rd (and Lupin even had the stereotypical Japanese guy for a change Razz)
Full Metal Panic
Hellsing
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Saint Seiya
Frickin' MACROSS (which even over 30 years ago had the token black character who- unlike Hollywood flicks- DIDN'T die first Very Happy)

... for starters.

And that's not even considering shows that don't specify an origin or have a non-earth/sci-fi setting, like Cowboy Bebop. Or what about something like the MGS series, which was all about Americans and extremely political? For people who you say don't know much about other cultures, they sure did a fair amount of research for that. Why would they even make such a thing if they were so ignorant and biased? I'm just not buying that line of thinking.

By the way, could you point me out to some pictures of these modern kid's shows with the awful sambo style? I'm curious as to which ones they are.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Look, if you want to confuse and muddle the issue by offering up a whole bunch of anecdotal evidence, fine. Saying "well what about these shows!" means nothing. It doesn't somehow negate the fact that there's plenty of xenophobia present in Japanese media and in Japanese culture.

Nobody is making blanket statements about ALL Japanese people. My friends there are mostly foreigners who were welcomed with open arms in their jobs there. But all of them did experience discrimination at one point during their travels, and all of it spoke to the xenophobic tendency I'm talking about.

But I'm speaking from a knowledge of Japanese history and the fact that you're one of the only people I've ever heard claim that somehow the Japanese are not racially ignorant on some level. Saying "well they have problems but..." is a dismissal. It's a different culture there, and they do have a completely different attitude toward race, one that looks like cultural insensitivity from the outside. That you went to Japan and didn't personally experience it nor did your friends does not negate the fact that I and the other people who agree with me on this issue know what we're talking about.

If you think I'm wrong, fine, but I'm not going to sit here and pick apart whatever tiny little cultural artifacts you can dig up that might point in the other direction just because you apparently want to disprove what I've said.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
One also has to remember the no eastern cultural nation ever historically sailed to some other nation on the other side of their world and forcibly taken many of the indigenous people from those nations, chain them inside stuffy disease ridden ships to their home land and then sell the survivors into forced labour like nothing more than mules and donkeys.

Look up "trans-Saharan slavery," African slaves used in the middle and far east. African slaves were even shipped, by sea, as far as India. Over it's history, trans-Saharan slavery is believed to have displaced many more African slaves than European/trans-Atlantic slavery, although it lasted significantly longer.

Organized slavery of foreign peoples is most likely to originated in the East (ie: Sumer).

-t
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
RUMIKO DISCUSSION--------------------

Well, when the anime money was around (before the asian crisis) they used to animate every single Rumiko takahashi manga with accuracy (1:1 anima and manga) now I doubt that they will do that again, she used to be (if maybe still is) the most renown mangaka and her animated works brought high ratings and merchandise sales (ranma 1/2 sountracks, pushes anyone?) but I guess the market changes a lot and maybe they started doing the "naruto liberties" once again (58 episodes filler is too much, that's a whole anime production for one complete series, maybe two full mangas can fit there nicely) but if Rumiko will keep doing Inu yasha until she dies, then Im stopping right here, right now.

She is a mangaka for the quick laugh series, her mangas will not really take you anywhere beyond a good laugh with the usual comedy characters, I own all Maison Ikkoku but I haven't seen it yet, so Im glad it has a definite ending, but she has a "knack" for making "not likeable endings" so I guess is not her fault that you want more and start on denials on her work.

Now, someone said "Berserk 2nd season" and I also wanted that so much in a point of my life, but even if they throw another 26 episodes or 50 more, the story would finish without a definite ending, heck, they can throw the 3rd season of Grappler baki with 60 episodes and still would not end...

So people...learn to follow the manga if you loved the anime, because some stuff will not come back and like me, you will end up with high stacks of raw manga trying to catch up on some stories.

So Inu yasha keep being published in japan?

Hey answerman: next time people start asking you for the Berserk 2nd season of the anime, tell them to play the ps2 japanese game, that game preety much puts you on well beyond volume 29
busyyuu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Look, if you want to confuse and muddle the issue by offering up a whole bunch of anecdotal evidence, fine. Saying "well what about these shows!" means nothing. It doesn't somehow negate the fact that there's plenty of xenophobia present in Japanese media and in Japanese culture.

Nobody is making blanket statements about ALL Japanese people. My friends there are mostly foreigners who were welcomed with open arms in their jobs there. But all of them did experience discrimination at one point during their travels, and all of it spoke to the xenophobic tendency I'm talking about.

But I'm speaking from a knowledge of Japanese history and the fact that you're one of the only people I've ever heard claim that somehow the Japanese are not racially ignorant on some level. Saying "well they have problems but..." is a dismissal. It's a different culture there, and they do have a completely different attitude toward race, one that looks like cultural insensitivity from the outside. That you went to Japan and didn't personally experience it nor did your friends does not negate the fact that I and the other people who agree with me on this issue know what we're talking about.

If you think I'm wrong, fine, but I'm not going to sit here and pick apart whatever tiny little cultural artifacts you can dig up that might point in the other direction just because you apparently want to disprove what I've said.

Why are you getting all bent out of shape? Calm down, dude.

Anecdotal? And I always presumed Americans having military bases in Japan was an established, historical fact.

"But I'm speaking from a knowledge of Japanese history and the fact that you're one of the only people I've ever heard claim that somehow the Japanese are not racially ignorant on some level. Saying "well they have problems but..." is a dismissal."

Dude, I didn't claim that the Japanese are not racially ignorant on some level. In fact, didn't you just say that I already said that in the second sentence that quote above?

I'm glad you're fluent in history, but the past is not the present either. I think there are still a lot of problems. Since it seems you want me to be incredibly specific, I'll do so.

I think Japanese Koreans (and Japanese Chinese as well) get the short end of the stick due to being denied citizenship, taking the brunt of bullying due to nationality, and denied human rights. I also think being Japanese Korean is becoming more accepted, as seen by the willingness of major celebrities to admit their Korean heritage, as well as the cinema treatment of the problem in the recent, popular movie, "Go."
I think foreigners are not given equal opportunities both in the areas of human rights as well as employment. I know a (caucasian) guy who was fired because the company desired an "all Japanese" policy, though I suppose that's too anecdotal for your tastes. However, with China opening up as a major market through the sales of government owned properties and giving more freedom to independents, the desire and opportunities for native Chinese speakers is quickly growing and will continue to grow should negotiations proceed smoothly. The abandonment of the previous seniority employment system has the potential not only to help Japan's younger generations, but also provides the potential to employ more non-Japanese on the basis of expertise and not time with an employer.
I think older generations of government officials block up the system with unneed and discriminatory policies as well an apparent need to retain national pride at the cost of international negotiations and economic opportunity. I also think that perhaps things might change with the new prime minister being born after the war, bringing a different perspective to the table with a post war and post Korean/China view.

Heck, my earlier answer IS an example of present discrimination. Things are also getting better and it is hardly accurate to merely classify Japan as xenophobic, ignorant, and/or homogeneous without further details (because I've honestly met very few people like that). I thought you meant your words to be a blanket classification in your article. If you didn't, then all the better.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Kidder wrote:

Yeah and Berserk is gonna get a 2nd season Anime smile + sweatdrop

InuYasha ended just two years ago in Japan. That's a pretty out there comparison. There are plenty of anime that have had a second series after a lull in time.

I don't want another IY anime to be honest. I can't stand the edits, the bad fillers, the degradation of Kagome and IY both (Miroku to a lesser extent), the overall 'monster of the week' feel of the anime, the fudging up of characterization and relationships and so on and so forth. This isn't me desperately hoping for another anime version. I don't want one to be produced. But the fact is that it is a very real possibility that there could be a second series. Also, they've been saying this is a possibility for a little over two years. It is not as if they just said it once a long time back.

Re: If IY wasn't canceled for ratings what was it cancelled for.

Well it wasn't so much cancelled as much as the writers feared catching up to the manga and the ratings going down because they'd be doing so many fillers if they continued. From what I pick up, YTV isn't who axed it and that's why it's perfectly plausible a second series will come to light. I actually applaud them for ending it where they did instead of proceeding into an entire anime of just filler to fill up space, as they likely would have had to do. With a series that has an overarching plot and a goal, unlike say, Naruto, I don't think they could get away with it.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Quote:
are still falling in the same ending she pulls on all her series "And we will keep moving on in life and see what happens"

Have you read any of your manga, or are you just pulling the anime endings? Although some of these aren't the anime endings either.

Quote:
If a little of history on her works can help you understand why you felt betrayed with the ending on Inu-yasha,

Which wasn't the ending, and yes IY is still going on.

Quote:
-Mermaid scar/mermaids forest: the immortal mermaid flesh eater couple keep moving on the road to see what's life have for them, they are not boyfriend and girlfriend just yet but they will see.

This wasn't the ending. Takahashi dropped this manga and hasn't picked it up since 1994. Not sure if she'll pick it up again, but she never did end it. I think this is the one that can be most legitimately complained about, because she did just... drop it.

Quote:
-Urisei Yatsura: at the very end, ataru does not tell Lum that she loves her, instead he said "I will never forget" and the show ends with the promise that "they will never forget the memories of youth and they will create a thousand more" that you won't see because the show's end is at episode 200 after 6 movies, 7 specials etc etc...

spoiler[...Ataru doesn't tell Lum he loves her but he implies by saying 'do I just have to say I love you?'] This is TRUE TO ATARU'S CHARACTER. Having him spout confessions of love would completely betray his character. Lum comes away from the series knowing he loves her and that's what matters. The 'never forget memories of youth' message is not the manga ending. And once again, don't blame Takahashi for '200 episodes, 6 movies, and 7 specials.' You have 32 volumes of manga to blame on her, that's it. Anyway, even if the 'memories of youth' message was there- I'd be okay with it. Tomobiki is presented as a verifiable Neverland, for it to stay that way through the end is only appropriate.

Quote:
-Ranma 1/2: Ranma is cured and he tells akane that he cares (not love) about her, after a joke wedding that ends up being a mock party, they keep going to school and all the girls in the cast actually are glad that Ranma didn't marry, so everyone ends up going to school next day and literally at the end they say "We will wait for the future to see what happens" after 3 movies, 9 specials and 180 something episodes

spoiler[No Ranma is not cured, and he does tell Akane he loves her. The wedding is crashed, but the end of the manga promises that the two will be married. It says the wedding is delayed, but 'only for a little while.' I'm not sure why people would expect them to get married at age sixteen anyway. A promise that it will happen someday is more than enough for a pair of sixteen year olds. ]And there's no 'wait for the future' message once again.

I haven't seen the anime of Ranma but I'm about 99% sure this isn't how it ends so I'm not sure where this ending comes from at all.

Quote:
And all the rest of her works always end up in some sort of "open ending"

Actually except her very comedic works, almost all of her short stories (which are the remainder of her works) have very resolved endings. Go look at Firetripper for one. One Pound Gospel is the only remaining serial, and she'll be ending that later this month.

Quote:
I haven't seen "Maison Ikkoku" just yet, but I doubt it has a definite ending.

I think someone already clarified, but MI has one of the most resolved endings out there. spoiler[They even have a sex scene+ marriage+ child. ]

Quote:
now that I know that the ending of Inu yasha is lackluster, there is no reason to me to go on a show so incredibly big that will not take you anywhere.

It's fine that you don't want to follow the anime for the reasons of a lack of ending, but blaming Rumiko for that lack of ending is like blaming Kishimoto for all those Naruto fillers- which no one does.

edited to fix a tag.

Last edited by kazenoyume on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Fans who think their favorite anime was "butchered" should be forced to sit and listen to Crest of the Stars in English, or to see the "re-versioning" of the early DBZ ep.s under Saban or 4Kids' One Piece. Few other shows come close to such mis-handling.

Don't forget Dic's Sailor Moon or Nelvana's Cardcaptors!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:49 pm Reply with quote
busyyuu wrote:

I thought you meant your words to be a blanket classification in your article. If you didn't, then all the better.

I don't make blanket classifications. Of course not all Japanese feel this way. I've met many who don't. Nothing I said was intended to be any sort of blanket statement, nor did I ever say that "Japanese people are like this". Not once.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
minakichan wrote:
Um, all right... I'm an Asian. Why does American media get away with wholesale racism and other downright disgusting portrayals of minorities?

Sure, homogeneity gives Japanese society a different perspective on racial differences. I'd have to argue, however, that it's pretty Western-o-centric to assume that this "downright disgusting portrayal" is definitive, typical, or exceptionally prevalent in Japanese media. There's plenty of similar "racist" portrayal on American television-- stereotypes of Hispanics, African-Americans, and Asians abound.

I was hoping someone would say this. Lot of it is really subtitle, I like to call it "hidden racism". You know how they have these racial minority characters in TV series or movies, but they are always just a little bit dumber or little bit poorer or little bit uglier than their white counterparts. But since the characters are there someone can point to them and say "look, we're not racist, here's a minority character".

Um all right... I'm a Black American. (sorry i couldn't resist) I'll take subtle racism over blatent racism any day of the week. America's not perfect and we have plenty of stereotyping and racism in our media portrayals. But like everyone has saidas a general rule americans at least TRY. We try not to be offensive and try not to foreigner bash. The Japanese portrayals of Black people have at times left me speechless.

ArielTsuki wrote:

But when I do see a Black character in anime/manga, most of the time they're depicted in a positive light as cool people.

Our definition of cool may differ but most Black characters in anime our drawn and act so Sambo like that I am too busy thinking "How in God's name do they think this is ok." Any positive traits of the character is lost on me.

That said I give anime the same pass I give to people over 80 who still call me colored. They don't know there being offensive and no one taught them any better. What can you expect. I totally agreed with Zac's answer. I just don't like people justifing the Japanese's ignorance by saying we have it too. There are no acceptable excuses, only understandable reasons.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Iritscen wrote:
Fans who think their favorite anime was "butchered" should be forced to sit and listen to Crest of the Stars in English, or to see the "re-versioning" of the early DBZ ep.s under Saban or 4Kids' One Piece. Few other shows come close to such mis-handling.

Don't forget Dic's Sailor Moon or Nelvana's Cardcaptors!

and nobody should forget Samurai Pizza Cats man was that bad...........
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
How about all the Japanese products that put Westerners in a good/neutral light? What about...

Hellsing

If you think about it, Hellsing portrays Christians as people who, in the late 1990s, still haven't gotten over the Protestant Reformation...which I find largely inaccurate.

And some of the other Westerners are Nazis. Woohoo.
Shinji Takase

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote
busyyuu wrote:

By the way, could you point me out to some pictures of these modern kid's shows with the awful sambo style? I'm curious as to which ones they are.

Try this one on for size:

Mai-Hime - episode 26. One scene close to end took the wind out of the sails for me...and it only took 3 seconds.

Someone mentioned Area 88 as being a positive portrayal of Westerners, but the manga does a slight "sambo" style for 3 'dark-skinned' and rather traitorous pilots.

As for the "negative" portrayals of Americans/Westerners in Japanese media, particularly anime:

I will preface this by saying that "foreigner-bashing" or nationalistic jingoism is not new, native, or present only in Japan. Nor is stereotyping or bigotry merely a Japanese phenomenon.

However, it is hard for non-Japanese people outside of Japan to not sneer at the Japanese in general when you have the Director of Public Safety promising crackdowns on foreigners (for the rising crime rate in Japan by Japanese people) and politicians like Taro Aso spewing Trent Lott-like comments (like Korea was better off under 'colonial rule'). The overall point is that every glass house in this battle is simply making Window Wizards rich.

Anyhow, Japanese anime, when bashing Americans in particular, will usually take on 1 of 3 forms -

- Blatant idiocy by the Americans for not choosing the "right" side (read the Japanese) - like with Brain Powerd (mind you, the series was already teetering on the brink before the Americans were introduced in such hap-hazard fashion) - and identifying the Americans by name;

- Blatant idiocy by the tall, stocky, squared-jawed people with blond hair and either blue eyes or sunglasses for the same reason as above - but not be identified by as being Americans but rather as a part of some International or Galactic Force but will usually have "United" as part of the name - and someone will either sport American-style military uniforms and helmets or be adorned in Red, White, and Blue. Such examples include - Nadesico the series (the UEAF) & the movie (the unnamed countries that joined the Bad Guys); Gravion (the EFA); Crest/Banner of Stars (the United Mankind); and Super Atragon (the UN); and finally:

- Idiocy and destructive tendencies on the part of a party to the fight that "swears left and right to keep the peace" - and uses nuclear-type weapons (if available) to achieve said results. In these cases, a council of military types or "beligerent" politicians wants to go to battle with the biggest weapons against all who stand in their way.

This doesn't even touch character details or how it applies to individual foreign characters. Maybe for a later post...

...maybe.

Takase Shinji
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
One also has to remember the no eastern cultural nation ever historically sailed to some other nation on the other side of their world and forcibly taken many of the indigenous people from those nations, chain them inside stuffy disease ridden ships to their home land and then sell the survivors into forced labour like nothing more than mules and donkeys.

Look up "trans-Saharan slavery," African slaves used in the middle and far east. African slaves were even shipped, by sea, as far as India. Over it's history, trans-Saharan slavery is believed to have displaced many more African slaves than European/trans-Atlantic slavery, although it lasted significantly longer.

Organized slavery of foreign peoples is most likely to originated in the East (ie: Sumer).

-t
That was by arabs working their market east, not the Chinese, Indonesians , and definately not the Japanese sailing to Africa working their own trade. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9