• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blaise

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
Taishi wrote:
Okay, I've read the comments and replies people have mentioned about my rant. I like to clarify couple of things..

First of all, yes I did make a mistake in the Nelvana spelling. It was a typo...so cut me a bit slack on that.

I'll probably misspell something myself here
Quote:

Second, what I meant to say was Shounen anime, which is a mistake in my part (I still mention about mainstream anime so it doesn't necessary have to involve fighting).

Third, I wrote this months ago...way before shows like Bleach and Eureka 7 aired on Adult Swim. For some reason, ANN decided to just slap this rant on now after all these months (I think I sent it just when NANA started airing, which was about 6 months ago). I do apologize about FLCL...I missed on that.

Aged comments do spoil
Quote:

What does this have to do with getting more genres represented in American/Canadian TV anime? ---> To answer this question, certain genres can be offensive in terms of violence or just the issue itself..I mean can you really say that YTV or Adult Swim will air animes like Koi Kaze, Strawberry Panic, or I My Me Strawberry Eggs?

What are you talking about? Have you forgotten Crayon Shin-chan, Lupin III, Case Closed, Paranoia Agent, FLCL, and Milk-chan, all series with absolutely no fighting or very little fighting, unless for comical reasons? ----> This is regarding my Witch Hunter Robin defense. I should have explained it more clearly. Robin is more well accepted than the other animes listed here (Except for FLCL...which is extremely popular).

Lastly, Please learn to read. I NEVER EVER said animes like Kenshin, FMA, Trigun, EVA, or Samurai Champloo are bad animes.

I did not write this rant to offend people or criticize animes. It was never my intention. I do admit I made some errors in terms of organization. However, this being said, I still stand by my opinion.

I'm not offended. But

Quote:
Is it because of censorship, FCC and CRTC (For Canada)? For those of you who don't know, Nevanna completely ruined Card Captor Sakura with revised script writing and horrible editing (revised it because they believe that Shaoran and Sakura's relationship seemed highly inappropriate).
Shaoran and Sakura was the least of their worries. Yukito and Sakura,spoiler[ Yukito/Touya, Yukito/Shaoran, Fujitaka/Nadesico, Nadesico/Sonomi, Sakura/Tomoyo(like mother, like daughter) and that third grade teacher who gave a student an engagement ring, and touya and the math teacher]-none of this would fly in the bible belt. Nelvana destroyed the show, but they did have cause for concern.
Quote:
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 am Reply with quote
Taishi wrote:

Once again, I said that ANN just posted my rant that I wrote 6 months ago. So it can't be helped. Apparently, ANN is trying to make me look like the bad guy.....lol. A lot can change in 6 months...because I agree with you. I watch Heroes and DEXTER myself.

Ohhhh no you don't. I published what you wrote verbatim. Everything you said is your own fault. Don't try and make it sound like somehow this is my fault for publishing what you said. You specifically wrote that to be reprinted in the column; if you're upset with how it came out, next time be more careful with what you write and make sure you're coming across clearly.

We're under no obligation to publish what you submit, nor do we have to publish it within a certain time period; if you submit something, I can publish it the following week or a year later. Your outlook on the issue may have changed since you sent this in, but it's up to you to clarify that in the forums.

Yeesh.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah,

Unholy_Nny wrote:
It's always been to my understanding that a "comic book" was a single issue about 30 pages long and a "graphic novel" was either a long one-shot atleast 70-100 pages long or a collection of a bunch of single issues of a comic book.

9 times out of 10 manga is in "graphic novel" format.

Personally, I call the manga that gets published here 'collected manga'. In Japan they call it a 'takubon', but that's one term that just hasn't caught on here as much as the oversimplified (and I think misleading) 'manga' format.

DriftRoot wrote:
Unholy_Nny wrote:
It's always been to my understanding that a "comic book" was a single issue about 30 pages long and a "graphic novel" was either a long one-shot atleast 70-100 pages long or a collection of a bunch of single issues of a comic book.

9 times out of 10 manga is in "graphic novel" format.

And then, of course, you have to throw in things like Vampire Hunter D, which is usually termed a graphic novel because it contains some illustrations, but is definately NOT manga. Sin City also is termed a graphic novel, but it's not manga, and I can think of a few other books out there with illustrations that would never, ever be called graphic novels (no matter what side of the Pacific you're on).

Zac wrote:
A novel with illustrations is a novel, with illustrations. It is not a graphic novel.

Sandman vol. 1 is a graphic novel. Ultimates vol. 1 is a graphic novel.

Harry Potter books have illustrations. They are not graphic novels.

I'd say illustrated novels. As for Sandman and Ultimates, I'd call them trade paper backs or collected editions.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Regarding "comic books" vs. "graphic novels":

I've always been under the impression that "graphic novel" is the term to refer to the collected 'books' and "comic books" tend to refer to the smaller 30 or so page issues.

Some what. Comic book is best used for single issues. Trade paperback is the better or at least more accepted term for the colelcted books.

Tenchi wrote:
I'm one of those "Really, they're all 'Comic Books'." people myself. I regularly use the term "graphic novel", but I use it more as a term for the physical medium in which a comic is published, when it's bound instead of just stapled.

That being said, I do far prefer the term "graphic novel" to "sequential art", the über-pretentious term favoured by Scott McCloud groupies.

tempest wrote:
Nunka wrote:
and novels with illustrations are graphic novels.

That's an illustrated novel, not a graphic novel.The idea behind the term "graphic novel" is to say that you have a novel that is expressed graphically.

One point that I think Zac missed out on is usage, "graphic novel" often refers to bound, collected comics. You'd rarely hear someone refer to to a 128 page, stapled comic-book comic book as a graphic novel. But this is a semantic, since, while rare, people do use the term that way.

"Sequential Art" has a legitimate use, but I dislike it when overly pretentious comic book fans/creators try to use it to make comic books sound "better." "Sequential Art" refers quite simply to the art sequence panel to panel and page to page. When an editor says "We're looking for people who are able to draw good sequential art, not just single panels and poses," that's a legitimate use of the term. When someone says "It isn't a comic-book, it's sequential art," thats total bullcrap (and no, they aren't synonyms).

-t

I like 'sequential art' as a term for the whole field. I really dug Scott McCloud's first book, understanding comics. Plus it was actually Will Eisner, a founding father of American comics and quite comparable to Tezuka in the east, who coined the term. Though I do admit you have to watch out using it not to sound like a know it all. Yet I still think it's a fantastic term and maybe if more people got to using it, it would lose that pretentious feel. Then again, many terms used by those treating the industry more scolarly, and not just as way to make a buck, come across as pretentious.

Eisner also coined the term 'graphic novel'. A graphic novel is written and published as one single book. His 'Contract with God' is a prime example. Art Spieglman's Maus also is a good example. Brian K Vaughn's Pride of Bagdad is a recent example that comes to mind.

I would also prefer call all these American comics that Tokyopop publishes as graphic novels as they're written and published as whole volumes. They are created and published in a totally different manner than the manga collection reprints, the takubon, that Tokyopop normally published.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'll throw in a comment too on the Adult Swim Anime.

We forgot to mention Eureka seveN. It has very little action. In the past 10 episodes(episodes 20-30), maybe 4 of them had action, and only 2 actually involve mechs. In the late teens, there was 3 or 4 episode story arc of no fighting at all, just relaxing in a cave, dealing with feelings and drama. It's very slow-paced, but in a good way. It doesn't have 15 episodes in a row of action after action. No filler either.

It probably throws people off because it looks at first to be a typical shounen mecha anime. But it isn't. It's by Studio BONES, who did Fullmetal Alchemist and Wolf's Rain. It's their first original, not based on an existing manga, so they got to be original with it. But it doesn't fall as easily into the cliches of "fighting anime" like DBZ and Bleach(which isn't a fighter either).

(Yes I know I totally went on a generic rant on how good E7 is to me.)

Wolf's Rain wasn't based on a manga, so far as I'm aware...
daxomni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Take a look at any one of Miyazaki's films; if there's a message in there, by god you will know what it is by the end, because odds are he'll spend 2 and a half hours telling you in the most obvious way possible. Don't get me wrong - obviously he is a master storyteller, but watch Princess Mononoke and tell me he isn't being at least a little heavy-handed with his message. Hell, his colleague at Ghibli, Isao Takahata, directed probably the most ridiculously over-the-top eco-movie ever, Pom Poko Tanuki. That movie is like 8 hours long and every second of it are designed to tell you that the ENVIRONMENT IS IMPORTANT, WEEP FOR THE TANUKI!

I'll admit that these can be tough lessons to stomach in concentrated form. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed both films nonetheless. Also, in all honesty, many folks where I live seem more than willing to spend 500,000+ hours ignoring issues like the aftermath of our various elective wars and mercenary operations and the health of our environment. You'd think they could put up with a couple hours of mild preaching to see how our actions and inactions can affect the world around us. I'm not sure how important the environment is considered where you live, but down here in Texas the environment might as well be an expletive and those who wish to protect it in any proactive sense might as well be demon spawn suitable for burning at the stake.

All it takes for the environment to be befouled beyond belief is for good men to sit on their ass and do nothing. If you're curious what the future holds for Texas, try taking a trip to El Paso. It's quite obvious once you've seen a place like El Paso that no matter how bad the environment gets folks will be inclined to just keep on polluting it further and raising families in the disgusting filth that they and their careless employers created. Maybe if you spend most of your life someplace clean you won't see what kind of pressing need exists, but if you pass through places like El Paso or Los Angles or Bangkok or Beijing then you really get to see just where this is all going.

I think putting the generations-long careless destruction of our one and only environment into a fun and enjoyable story is rather difficult to accomplish. A mild prod is likely to go relatively unnoticed while a stronger message is likely to elicit both resistance and resentment. It's a tough balancing act and I think the stronger messages are being brought about at least in part because more mild messages seem to be going in one ear and out the other. At least that's how it is where I come from.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:22 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:

I'll admit that these can be tough lessons to stomach in concentrated form. Still, I thoroughly enjoyed both films nonetheless.

I didn't say anything about whether or not I liked the films; I Love Princess Mononoke.

I can't stand Pom Poko though. It feels like it goes on forever and it's so preachy as to be off-putting.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I like 'sequential art' as a term for the whole field. I really dug Scott McCloud's first book, understanding comics. Plus it was actually Will Eisner, a founding father of American comics and quite comparable to Tezuka in the east, who coined the term.

McCloud doesn't use 'sequential art' the exact same way that Eisner did when he introduced the term.

Eisner referred to sequential art as the process of combining multiple pictures and text in order to tell a story. To Eisner, sequential art was a somewhat specific aspect of the comic book.

Whereas McCloud uses 'sequential art' as a synonym for comics, but it should be noted that McCloud outright defined single panel comics (like family Circus and most political cartoons) as not comics, but "cartoons."

Their definitions of "Sequential Art" are compatible in many ways, but very different at their core. To Eisner, comics are made with sequential art, and to McCloud, comics are sequential art.

/* purely subjective opinion and speculation */
I feel that the synonymous use of the word takes away from Eisner's entire point in coining the term (assuming that it was Eisner who coined the term, I'm not 100% certain it was). He didn't create the term to replace a perfectly acceptable pre-existing word, but rather to describe a previously un-named concept.

The reason Eisner didn't use "comic book art" was that a single image can be comic book art, but it would not be sequential.

/* end purely subjective opinion and speculation */

PS: Eisner did not coin the term "Graphic Novel," there are examples of people using it before "A Contract with God." However that publication is responsible for popularizing the term.

-t
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Just popping in here, I'm a girl who likes perplexing, violent shounen-y anime and who doesn't squee over Inuyasha and Fruits Basket. Honestly, I read a chapter of FB and almost fell asleep. Hagaren and Hellsing for me, all the way.

With that said, I think adult swim could do with a change in lineup. My anime club of 20+ girls all have tastes similar to mine, but we're not averse to something more character driven and less....I dunno....Dark? Unfortunately, it seems like AS has an image they want to keep up, so it's not likely we'll be seeing anything like NANA or Honey and Clover there anytime soon. I'm even doubtful of xxxHOLiC, although it has a bit more action. I think this is a real shame, because, as I said, I generally dislike shoujo titles, but I tried one episode of NANA on the word of a friend and now I'm completely in love with the series. I think that if the AS audience was exposed to titles that were a little more sensitive, it might generate a response. I mean, if you're staying up until 4 AM to watch anime, you've probably got the attention span to appreciate something a little deeper, right?

About showing that there's a market for shoujo by buying the DVDs; inversely, don't the fans have to know about something before they buy it? Not all of us have jobs and can buy our own anime, and we have to think carefully about what to prioritize when shopping. If it's between a series that I know and love and just wanting to show the industry that I care about other genres too, I'm going with the first option.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Taishi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Taishi wrote:

Once again, I said that ANN just posted my rant that I wrote 6 months ago. So it can't be helped. Apparently, ANN is trying to make me look like the bad guy.....lol. A lot can change in 6 months...because I agree with you. I watch Heroes and DEXTER myself.

Ohhhh no you don't. I published what you wrote verbatim. Everything you said is your own fault. Don't try and make it sound like somehow this is my fault for publishing what you said. You specifically wrote that to be reprinted in the column; if you're upset with how it came out, next time be more careful with what you write and make sure you're coming across clearly.

We're under no obligation to publish what you submit, nor do we have to publish it within a certain time period; if you submit something, I can publish it the following week or a year later. Your outlook on the issue may have changed since you sent this in, but it's up to you to clarify that in the forums.

Yeesh.

lol...calm down, I didn't really mean it (notice the loled at the end Razz). I guess the rant should be under a general perspective that shouldn't affect time or such. What makes you think I blame you for posting it? I'm not upset. I know I made mistakes, which is why I posted a rebuttal. The time period part is something I guess the readers was not aware of.
rocklobster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree with what you said about those free DVD's. It must be murder to put something up when it sucks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
rocklobster wrote:
I agree with what you said about those free DVD's. It must be murder to put something up when it sucks.

Oh, it can be fun, too, to rip something really crappy apart. Two of the most fun CD reviews I ever wrote were the two most negative ones, one for a painfully awful smooth jazz CD called Sax Daddy (scroll down for it) and my most recent review, the debut CD by the bland-and-then-some emo group Aspen It Is. It's fun to be vicious every once in a while, and reading/watching/listening to something really awful sometimes reminds you why you like the things you like in the first place.

I haven't had to review much bad manga, fortunately, although there have been a few that I didn't enjoy reading much, and wouldn't read if I didn't "have to"...Nodame Cantabile, for example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokoroAngel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I noticed in Kinokuniya that the original Japanese manga were labeled under 'Comics', which was written in Katakana...
indrik

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Hm. I have wondered about the ethics of freebies, such as they area. Back when, I used to work in a sporting goods store, and every now and then, I'd get some "free" gear, usually hockey sticks from small companies. I got a bunch of stuff from Mission, Itech was branching into protective gear and sticks from doing just face shields. I had no trouble telling people when their product stank, but I think the Itech rep was the only guy who would bring me something different to try, or act like he cared about my opinion. We had a buyer for a while that found out that the owners of the store were taking samples and selling them, which I understand is illegal, since they were given out as samples. I'm not sure, it's what I hear. But I suddenly came into a bunch of stuff when that went down.

So- do people get mad when you give things bad reviews? Do the freebies stop coming? I would suspect there is a bit of journalistic integrity at play here, you can't really say something doesn't suck when it does, but is it sometimes better to say nothing at all? I get the impression from the column that that's not an option, that something has to be done with the sample. I bet there are some good stories here that we'll never hear.
Canuckian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I, Canuckian, is proud of the mention of Canadian Anime Airing here and out past problems.

Another series with little violence that aired on both YTV and CN is:

.Hack/SIGN

Although it doesn't have much violence, that dance sequence in one of the last episodes really hurt, seesh.
jgreen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
So- do people get mad when you give things bad reviews? Do the freebies stop coming? I would suspect there is a bit of journalistic integrity at play here, you can't really say something doesn't suck when it does, but is it sometimes better to say nothing at all? I get the impression from the column that that's not an option, that something has to be done with the sample. I bet there are some good stories here that we'll never hear.

Nah, for the most part they realize that bad reviews are just par for the course sometimes. If a publication would specifically bash a company all their output all the time, that might cause some sort of reaction....say if ANN started giving every ADV release a D or F and kept saying "ADV has horrible production values and a sh**ty dubbing studio" in every review, then ADV might stop sending product, but that'd be a rare and special circumstance.

At the same time, it's also the job of the reviewer to write about the product in such a way that it should be clear, even if the reviewer doesn't like the item in question, who it might appeal to. Even if it's something as simple as calling Trinity Blood "a poor man's Hellsing", there may be Hellsing fans who read the review and, in spite of its negative tone, say "Hey, I liked Hellsing a LOT so I'll give this one a shot."

The best negative review I've ever seen: Pitchfork's review of the new Jet CD "Shine On" (NSFW but effin' hilarious all the same).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8