• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comet Lucifer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
It's just that they keep introducing ideas and then forget all about them. Like there was the cow, and then the OMG-TYPHOON!!1!! coming, so let's go to school-what-school-we're-in-school-now? with no rain gear of any sort, then rain stops, cow, school and the typhoon are all dumped in the amnesia bin, along with Pack's homicidal tendencies and why-were-we-going-to-the-Altar-anyway.

No one on the writing team seems to be taking notes as they go, and they clearly haven't planned anything out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
You gave a pretty accurate description of where the show has gone wrong. They needed those parts to be more than just tools to move the plot how they needed or make a one off "joke". If you put a sudden cow in, you must keep with it, think of the ways that this cow will effect everything else.

A fantasy novel I have been writing includes horses as transport, but I don't throw their part away as soon as they were not narratively important. Instead I gave little mentions of them and thought how their existence still effects things, and create actual narrative around something that was rather small, which I hope makes it more coherent. I think my best ideas with writing was when I came up with something needed for the narrative, and that although perhaps in inconsequential now, I could use it to fill in holes of world building as long as it was acknowledged outside of the one use it was needed for.

It is like how they brought up school. Felia does not know what it is, and although we kind of know the concept of school, we have no idea how it works in their world, so it was the perfect medium to teach us something and say this world has some depth. Another matter I had the problem with was Sogo's computer lens thing, he uses it with a rock in the beginning, then he can use it to get messages from school, and then he can use it to tell if a mushroom was safe to eat. We have no idea what it is until suddenly it has importance for the story, and then its abilities are pretty much lost. They get contacted by some really old looking phone instead the computer on his head. And Sogo mentioned that he had Otto look up on a flower that could lower fevers, did it forget that we saw Sogo's lens do previously? If a prop feels like it came out of nowhere and is not even mentioned when as far as we know it could be used, they are doing it wrong.

I say I write, but I am no professional writer, I do it as a hobby and don't devote the attention to it that I should, and it is not like I am that eloquent at writing, case in point things like this post. But if I can put work into making something I do as a hobby be coherent, I would hope professionals would do better.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
His lens and looking up the flower is easily explained: it can analyse what he sees. It can't look up data out of nowhere.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Lol, this episode felt kinda weird.

I mean, the betrayal and the changing sides of various characters. Well, I guess a few of them might of been expected somewhat but still had a weird vibe to it. We also finally get a bit of info about Lucifer (part of the main title of the show). Poor Felia. And Moura's battle outfit looks funny.

I expect everything to conclude in the climax but damn, this episode felt rushed and fast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
There is no emotional resonance with this show. Things happens and I just don't care.

Honestly, Gus and his squad really shouldn't have been included at all. He was set up for some sort of arc, but it sort of stalled in the middle. He hasn't grown as a character. On top of that, there are unanswered questions like...How does Al even know what Felia is and why is he creepily obsessed with her? Kinda a big deal all things considered.

The real villains of the show were barely utilized, so whatever they've accomplished in this episode feels tacked on. Also it has weird tone shifts.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
episode eleven

You know what this show needs? More people showing up at the last second to save the protagonists.

At any rate, I'm not terribly surprised at the Zoneboyle being betrayed. I kind of got that vibe from that character. Her being the demonic mecha also makes more sense than anything else that's happened.

RestLessone wrote:
There is no emotional resonance with this show. Things happens and I just don't care.

Yeah, nothing has been paced or built up properly: The emotional moments are all forced and rushed. The world hasn't been built up to the point where it even seems like it needs Zoneboyle's plan. (Where's all this war, suffering and disparity he's trying to solve? The place already looked like paradise to me.) They keep acting like this has been some long saga when it's only been eleven episodes over what seems like two weeks. "At last our life's work is complete - we have made it to the top of the staircase!"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:

I kind of get that too, they have kind of missed the mark. Tighter world and character building was needed.

The only thing I say kind of landed half decently was with Moura suddenly being an Amazonian woman. There has been fairly decent focus on her character.

I did burst out in laughter at the mix of weapons in bread, and not in a good way. It was so ridiculous. And did they answer why Roman's personal mecha seems to be stronger than what most military have?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
RestLessone wrote:

I kind of get that too, they have kind of missed the mark. Tighter world and character building was needed.

The only thing I say kind of landed half decently was with Moura suddenly being an Amazonian woman. There has been fairly decent focus on her character.

I did burst out in laughter at the mix of weapons in bread, and not in a good way. It was so ridiculous. And did they answer why Roman's personal mecha seems to be stronger than what most military have?

I don't think they ever did. Given the series ends this coming week (or thereabouts). That's a question I think will remain unanswered. I don't even think the writers thought about it either or just forgot if they had planed to. Moura in mecha form not getting any real battle damage kinda bugged me as well.

The series as a whole seems to be "Base plot+random bits of things passed off as world building+CGI battle scenes." Many of the arcs they set up are either introduced late in the series or get dropped after a couple episodes. Twists come out of nowhere with little to no build up of any kind. and the things they do try to use as world building fails because it's kinda hard to get invested by something that was not focused on enough. Many of the characters have muddled or no backstory, and it's not just limited to Gus and his crew either. Most of the main cast, like Roman and Felia are affected. And these last few episodes feel like they just compressed like five-six episodes into two (three, counting the upcoming last episode).

On top of it all, There's little motivation for the villains besides using Felia as an energy source. And they even screw that up by not explaining it well enough either. I dare say it's one of the worst anime of the Fall season simply becuase of the writing and how little care either the writers or I give to anyone in the show. Even the animation is a bit on the weak side with its awkward CGI and often choppy animation (episode 6 is probably the only episode I can consider even remotely passable).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Eh..............

Overall, this show imo will be easily forgettable except for the surprisingly good action. 8-bit deserves some praise for that. The finale had the final clash and some more info dump but I wasn't really sold on any of it. We also get a confession and Felia did disappear after all.

What I did like is the overall world fiction for the series but most of the weak storytelling overshadowed that. Wasted potential is what I'd describe Comet Lucifer.

Edit: never mind, Kaon spottd in the finale.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh my.

I figured the show would have a poor ending, but not this bad. It was truncated. Badly. I think it needed two episodes to make it flow. Could've gotten rid of that marriage episode maybe. It really shouldn't have had the last-minute conflict either. Alternatively, they could have gotten rid of Gus and co.

Even the epilogue was poor. I mean, usually anime give viewers something so we know where everyone winds up. This show did a montage, but it felt more bizarre than anything else. Gus spoiler[serving curry] makes some sense considering Do Mon--who, despite his importance, was never mentioned this episode sans one image--but how did he make that leap? They never finished up his arc and moved him past a troubled man hungry for war. And for some reason Pack spoiler[is on the run?] And we're also supposed to care that Gus has made nice with other soldiers?

There are many threads the writers forgot to resolve. Why was Al obsessed with Felia? How did he know what she was? Why was Pack incarcerated? Why did he have powers that allowed him to push bullets out of his body? How did he know Gus? They were the major antagonists for most of the story--we should know these things! There are some other oddities too, like spoiler[trilobite] Anatolia. Then there's the fact that Sogo is 14 and orphaned...And that poor cow apparently never made it out of the storm...

Well, I've gone on enough. I was just sort of amazed that this series couldn't even muster a reasonable ending.

Last edited by RestLessone on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
episode twelve

Holy rushed! Who thought it was a good idea to keep adding on new bells and whistles to the storyline when they haven't fleshed out what they already have? All that effort for such a typical ending, too. They couldn't even bother to properly animate their epic destruction. Worst of all, the final mecha fight wasn't even as good as it could have been, since it was so cut up by them needing to digress in to monologue so much midfight.

I was all hopeful after that fight in episode two, but it was kind of all downhill from there, wasn't it? Blerg.

RestLessone wrote:
And that poor cow apparently never made it out of the storm...

I was even watching for the cow in the epilogue. They really did just forget about the poor thing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Lets all agree that they kind of messed up. I think that RestLessone is onto something that they really should have cut everything do with Gus and his group, it ultimately kind of distracted from how they could have had more focus on the main characters. I generally liked the world building of this series, that is when they did it early on before trying to have all this military stuff that really did not work. I actually liked the two planet thing with one being a long dead Earth, although it might have been better if they did focus on the environment a bit better.

I am going to compare this to another series, Galilei Donna. A similar series that had some strong things starting with it, but it just bogged itself down so much that it was a train wreck. It kind of fits in a way that they wanted to tell a story, but they were just not able to do it in a way that would be satisfying with what episodes they have. But for some reason the show also makes me think of Captain Earth, which I would say suffered for the opposite reasons where it had too many episode and did not seem to know what it was doing to fill them all. But in the end it kind of did a better job to develop its own Felia like character, Hana, and ultimately made a more satisfying end. When I make those comparisons, I don't even quite know what my point is, but I feel like there is a similarity that should say something about this series.

I guess I did enjoy Comet Lucifer, it kind of ended on a down note, and it kind of went by so fast that there was not enough time to feel as emotionally invested as one would hope. I did actually kind of like what they did with the villain, their motivation of being so lonely until they became insane actually made me sympathise a bit. We already have posted complaints of some bad decisions they did in writing, so I will leave it at that. For a rating I give it So-so.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
RestLessone wrote:
And that poor cow apparently never made it out of the storm...
I was even watching for the cow in the epilogue. They really did just forget about the poor thing.

Laughing I was too. The last time we saw it, it was floating on a cloud in the ED of episodes 6-8. Cow heaven.

I like to think it was a bull, and all those happy cows grazing at the end were his offspring, sired before his cruel and untimely death.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:24 pm Reply with quote
What? Kaon's rival disappears but she still only gets the consolation prize? Feels bad, man~

Anyways, I thought it was fine. Fairly textbook but far from painful to sit through. I did genuinely enjoy the mecha action sequences, though the lack of any damage being inflicted was a bit distracting.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
What? Kaon's rival disappears but she still only gets the consolation prize? Feels bad, man~

We can't have true love ruined by our perfect hero getting over a girl in 5 to 10 years like she was nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5