• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Suncraft wrote:
And I can say you're vastly underestimating the size of these communities. No progress made between us here.

I understand it's a niche, but it's rather significant in certain circles. Evidently you take the opposite stance.

That you felt a need to make the bolded comment only reinforces my stance on the matter. Those who enjoy loli fan service are very definitely a corner of fandom - I'm well aware of their presence - but only a corner.

Quote:
I think reviewers should recognize when something has quality content--even if they know that content isn't aimed at them. So they can disagree with it, or not watch/read it, but when they're chosen or picked to review something, I'd like them to give readers a fair view on subjective subjects.

Okay, I think I see where the main problem is here now.

Let me be clear about this: This season did not get the grade it did just because of my dislike for the loli fan service; in fact, that wasn't a factor in me assigning the grades at all. I mentioned it as a negative because, hey, that's they way I see it. You're welcome to disagree, but I'm the one writing the review and the +/- aspect is where my opinion on the content is going to show up the most.

If you've been reading my reviews for any length of time then you should already know that the fan service content largely doesn't affect my grades for titles unless the quality of that service is particularly good or particularly bad. (And you'd at least agree that not all fan service - whether loli or not - is equal in quality, right?) Same here. I gave the series the grade it did because, honestly, I did not feel the qualitative aspects, especially in the storytelling, were up to snuff. Even if you did enjoy the SOL content, would you disagree that this is, by a significant margin, the weakest of the three seasons so far?

Catsplay wrote:
I'm not rewording what I said because I meant every word of it. If you like the series for its other merits, fine whatever. But you need to realize it has other elements that don't have to appeal only to your tastes.

Absolutely. Fully well aware of that without you telling me that.

Quote:
It's not fair to the people that like it to have subjective reviews try acting like the loli element is the worse thing ever and is a negative when to plenty of people it's a positive.

See my comments to Suncraft above. That aspect is still my opinion and you're welcome to disagree (as you have). I in no way made any overt or implicit derogatory comments about people who enjoy such content (which I know has occasionally been an issue in the past with ANN reviews/previews), and I'm not going to go around qualifying every negative comment I make with an "unless you're into that sort of thing" statement. That should always be implicit.

Oh, and let me reiterate my appreciation to both of you about keeping this civil. From a Moderator's POV, way too often these discussions derail in ugly directions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I can't wait to Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! where spoiler[Emiya Shirou] will have a bigger part.

Everyone wants this.

Everyone.
Suncraft

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Those who enjoy loli fan service are very definitely a corner of fandom - I'm well aware of their presence - but only a corner.

I am of the opinion that it's significant. We again make no progress in trying to convince the other of our own opinion.

Key wrote:
Let me be clear about this: This season did not get the grade it did just because of my dislike for the loli fan service; in fact, that wasn't a factor in me assigning the grades at all. I mentioned it as a negative because, hey, that's they way I see it. You're welcome to disagree, but I'm the one writing the review and the +/- aspect is where my opinion on the content is going to show up the most.

While this statement brings relief, it also clarifies some problems. While reading your review, seeing you slap, "More than half of the series is inane drivel, still plays around too much with loli undertones." next to a big red (-) sign, and next to your grades+staff makes it easy to assume you marked it down because of it. To a reader, it seems like this is your, and thus ANN's, judgement upon the whole matter. Easy to see why some kind of opposition would form, doesn't it? I am well aware that one reviewer does not make the whole of ANN's stance on something, but others will not have that knowledge. In this review I assumed you had marked it down because of the above problems, I hope you see why.

Key wrote:
I gave the series the grade it did because, honestly, I did not feel the qualitative aspects, especially in the storytelling, were up to snuff. Even if you did enjoy the SOL content, would you disagree that this is, by a significant margin, the weakest of the three seasons so far?

I do agree that by adding the slice of life bits it stretched out the pauses between action, and ruined the pacing built from the previous seasons. However, last season(I mean summer, not last season of Prisma Illya) being a season full of action, I found it quite a relief and enjoyed the SOL bits quite a bit. While I would agree it's the weakest of the three Prisma Illya seasons, I wouldn't say it's by any significant margin.

Key wrote:
I in no way made any overt or implicit derogatory comments about people who enjoy such content (which I know has occasionally been an issue in the past with ANN reviews/previews), and I'm not going to go around qualifying every negative comment I make with an "unless you're into that sort of thing" statement. That should always be implicit.

Commendable, but it is not always implicit at all. See my above comments.

Key wrote:
Oh, and let me reiterate my appreciation to both of you about keeping this civil. From a Moderator's POV, way too often these discussions derail in ugly directions.

I appreciate you responding as the author, there's reason to be civil. I like taking part in actual discussions and argument over meaningless banter. But in some cases it's well deserved things blow up in your(ANN's) faces when you throw a burning stick over the fence and expect nothing to happen.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:22 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Jonny Mendes wrote:
I can't wait to Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! where spoiler[Emiya Shirou] will have a bigger part.

Everyone wants this.

Everyone.

It's a different approach to Shirou, where he is actually using his magecraft to its full potential right away instead of a journey of discovery. I still like stay night Shirou more for what he represents and how a powerless guy struggles for what he believes is right.

But yeah, spoiler[Miyuverse] Shirou is pretty cool.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
@Key

Sorry I'm not quoting the right way, still not used to the ANN forum system. I didn't even realize you were the one that wrote the article lol, been debating since last night and I thought you were just a moderator popping in to give their two cents. I totally understand how hard it is to be a moderator on a massive site and while our opinions may differ I'm also glad we were able to keep it civil. It was a good debate honestly and both you and Suncraft have put out some interesting statements and made it entertaining. I mostly agree with Suncraft about how seeing the loli element under the negatives can be taken the wrong way and how it can seem that's the big stance ANN is taking towards it (Even if it just your sole opinion).
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
"Those who enjoy loli fan service are very definitely a corner of fandom - I'm well aware of their presence - but only a corner."

This is not necessarily true. I remember seeing a poll on a big visual novel message board a few years back where the users were being asked what their 2D fetish is. About 30% of the answers said 'lolis'. That's a pretty significant portion if you ask me.

Not to mention games like Kanon and Kud Wafter being pretty much mainstream (both of which have lolis as the main heroine as well as h-scenes).

Not disrespecting your opinion, just stating the facts.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
This is not necessarily true. I remember seeing a poll on a big visual novel message board a few years back where the users were being asked what their 2D fetish is. About 30% of the answers said 'lolis'. That's a pretty significant portion if you ask me.

I am not surprised at this kind of comment, since even ANN has a "The Best and Worst of the Season So Far". That 30% (or the data in the ANN article) has no statistical relevancy, it boils down to "The readers of said said website that gave an answer think that ...". There is a reason why Gallup or the like are well respected for the surveys they do, you can't simply ask people left and right and expect to get valid statistical data.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Angel Investor wrote:

I am not surprised at this kind of comment, since even ANN has a "The Best and Worst of the Season So Far". That 30% (or the data in the ANN article) has no statistical relevancy, it boils down to "The readers of said said website that gave an answer think that ...". There is a reason why Gallup or the like are well respected for the surveys they do, you can't simply ask people left and right and expect to get valid statistical data.

It was a message board specifically dedicated for discussions between avid visual novel fans. This isn't asking people left and right, it's asking the actual community who are fans of the 2D ero/moe culture.

And even if you disregard that, my other point is still valid. Kanon is not only one of the most well known visual novels, both in Japan and the West, but it has even been officially localized in English.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
It was a message board specifically dedicated for discussions between avid visual novel fans. This isn't asking people left and right, it's asking the actual community who are fans of the 2D ero/moe culture.

That's part of the problem, though. A huge number of Western anime fans,

- the ones who buy every piece of merchandise related to Attack on Titan, and dress up as Hetalia characters at conventions, but have never heard of Clannad, because it's not on Adult Swim or Netflix

- the ones who think Persona 4 sounds like a game they might enjoy, until someone tells them that it has visual novel elements, at which point they lose all interest in the game

- the ones who complain that 30 dollars for 13 episodes of Bleach is price gouging by greedy anime companies, because they've never seen how much Aniplex charges

- the ones who only watch dubbed shows, because if they wanted to read, they'd pick up a book

-the ones who refuse to try Madoka, because they simply don't enjoy shows with female protagonists

are not represented by a poll on a message board specifically about visual novels. 30% of the members of a specific message board that caters to a subset of anime fans do not qualify as anything other than a corner of anime fandom, no matter how passionate or vocal they are online.
Angel Investor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Angel Investor wrote:

That's part of the problem, though. A huge number of Western anime fans,

- the ones who buy every piece of merchandise related to Attack on Titan, and dress up as Hetalia characters at conventions, but have never heard of Clannad, because it's not on Adult Swim or Netflix

- the ones who think Persona 4 sounds like a game they might enjoy, until someone tells them that it has visual novel elements, at which point they lose all interest in the game

- the ones who complain that 30 dollars for 13 episodes of Bleach is price gouging by greedy anime companies, because they've never seen how much Aniplex charges

- the ones who only watch dubbed shows, because if they wanted to read, they'd pick up a book

-the ones who refuse to try Madoka, because they simply don't enjoy shows with female protagonists

are not represented by a poll on a message board specifically about visual novels. 30% of the members of a specific message board that caters to a subset of anime fans do not qualify as anything other than a corner of anime fandom, no matter how passionate or vocal they are online.

That is a good point. However, the notion that anime fans who are lolicons is some small minority is absolutely not true. Otherwise shows like Moetan and Kodomo No Jikan would not even exist (nor would they get subbed if Western anime fans weren't interested). Besides that, there is plenty of loli fanservice in more popular shows like Monogatari, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, Boku no Tomodachi ga Sukunai and Black Bullet, just to name a few. By the way, the mangas and light novels for many of these series have also been translated into English, so there definitely exists a Western fanbase for this stuff as well. I'm currently reading the Black Bullet light novel.

Incidentally, JAST USA recently caused a lot of disappointment by releasing an English version of Shiny Days in which the loli scenes were cut out. Now there's a group working on a restoration patch to bring those scene back because so many were opposed to the censorship. There are also portable ero-games that have been censored in order to be released in the West (ie. Dungeon Travelers 2 and Moe Chronicle).
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
3rd this admittedly a problem with the manga as well but can someone tell me how the hell Illya was able to defeat someone using a sword that "created the world" and still walk around the next day like nothing happened?

1) Gil was crazy and partially incarnated, so he could only use half of Ea's power.

2) The Kaleidosticks use Dimensional Magic to pull unlimited magical energy from other worlds, so their users never run out of energy. The hitch to this is that there's only so much magical energy a body can actually handle at a time, and if someone overdoes it they'll seriously hurt their self.

3) By using two sticks, Illya forcibly overloaded herself with magical energy, making her ridiculously powerful. However, she wasn't able to handle it normally, forcing her to turn her nerves, muscles, organs, and various other things that were never meant to channel magical energy into Magic Circuits. Side effects of this include excruciating agony (which we say Kuro go through) and massive internal trauma (which the anime really screwed up at showing, given that Illya nearly died using 2wei form).

4) Even at the start of 3rei - days after Illya used 2wei mode - Ruby's still working at fixing Illya's organs, and expressly forbids from ever using the mode again because it's too dangerous.

Hopefully that cleared some things up for you.

1. Half of a world creating weapon would still be powerful enough to mess up a planet.

4. If Illya's organs were damaged shouldn't she be having health problems due to the change? If the nerves were used she should be twitching a bunch due to the transformation. If the muscles were used she should have momentary lapses in strength when using them etc.

I've actually read the manga up to the point spoiler[Shiro] shows up and even there she doesn't seem to have much trouble walking around, fighting or overall acting normally. I'd assume some random coughing up blood or other issues would arise if her organs /other body functions were so severely damaged. That would be fitting to show that the change had a much more negative effect then we are given in both adaptations.

FilthyCasual wrote:

leatherhead333 wrote:
I mean they've been in hopeless situations before like when they fought Saber and Bazzet. And the only reason Illya was hurting so much was due to how powerful Gil was at this point. If she'd used this power on anyone else it would just take the flick of her finger to obliterate them. Problems solved. Also if she has infinite power in that mode doesn't that mean she should be able to infinitely heal herself? There just so many questions the series doesn't answer on this issue that it kind of makes

When they fought the Saber Card, Sapphire didn't show up post-Excalibur No. 1 until Illya had already Installed the Archer Card. There was no opportunity for it to happen.

When they fought Bazett, again, Sapphire wasn't there for the majority of the fight. And once she was, Illya was in no condition to bear the strain of 2wei form.

And given that 2wei form is explicitly meant to overclock and damage the body in exchange for power, healing is an afterthought. If Illya had the leeway to devote the magical energy she gained from 2wei form into healing instead of blasting whatever was enough of a threat to resort to it, then there'd be no point in her using it in the first place.

I'll give you the Saber one but I disagree with the Bazett fight. Illya was constantly getting beat down in the fight vs Gil. She wasn't in any shape to use it when she did either. It was an equally hopeless situation that they barely survived due to luck.

The healing part should have come AFTER the fight. Illya was still in that form for a good amount of time before finally losing it. So by that point she still had infinite power. Therefore she could have used it to heal herself. The form was only dangerous to Illya due to the amount of output she had to use against Gil when he activated the EA sword (sure she was feeling the pain BEFORE that but it was likely the final attack that sealed the deal on it). Ruby didn't even mention how much it would effect her until halfway through the fight. Which means up to that point she wasn't in that much danger.

Heck when Illya first calls the both of them Sapphire and Ruby don't even have hesitations about combining their powers with her. They never warned her or were even worried about the after effects until halfway through the fight. I'd think those two would know how the form would effect the body. So honestly I still don't think this powerup was very well setup.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
1. Half of a world creating weapon would still be powerful enough to mess up a planet.

While Gilgamesh did really exist in FSN, Ea did not actually create the world. It's a hax weapon, but it's a Noble Phantasm at the end of the day.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
4. If Illya's organs were damaged shouldn't she be having health problems due to the change?

This is the part where I need to remind you that Illya is not human, but a homonculus. So unlike you average frail human where a little damage here or there can easily end its life, she is your average monster that will survive until structural collapse (think 9/11 twin towers). Yeah, macho lolis with big sticks Anime hyper
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
4. If Illya's organs were damaged shouldn't she be having health problems due to the change?

This is the part where I need to remind you that Illya is not human, but a homonculus. So unlike you average frail human where a little damage here or there can easily end its life, she is your average monster that will survive until structural collapse (think 9/11 twin towers). Yeah, macho lolis with big sticks Anime hyper

That sort just adds to my point that using both sticks doesn't seem like it should be an issue for her if she can function normally with a damaged body.

jymmy wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

While Gilgamesh did really exist in FSN, Ea did not actually create the world. It's a hax weapon, but it's a Noble Phantasm at the end of the day.

That was never specified in the anime or manga. As viewers we have to take what the characters say as fact UNLESS it revealed they were either lying, misinformed or the story uncovers the truth later. Gil straight up told told us it was used to create the world. If he was at half power that still means the weapon would be powerful enough to wreck earth.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
That sort just adds to my point that using both sticks doesn't seem like it should be an issue for her if she can function normally with a damaged body.

I think the danger has never been about taking damage, since becoming a magical girl Illya has been taking a lot of damage that has been deflected or healed by Ruby, the problem is about taking damage so fast that she can reach the point of no return before the fight is over, had Gilgamesh not been his usual self and used dilatory tactics, Illya would have self destructed without him even touching her. Think about it like this, it is very hard for humans to die from exhaustion, we usually simply stop moving, but what would happen if you could continue to move to the point that even your heart becomes exhausted? Wouldn't you be advised to stop before you reach that point?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6