• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Christian Charity Removes Pokémon, Harry Potter Toys from X-Mas Drive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
@vanfanel

Well, if no-one else will address your post, I will...

vanfanel wrote:
Homosexuals have always had the right to marry; just because they didn't want to didn't mean they were lacking any legal right not enjoyed by straight people.

Actually, quite wrong, there are 1138 statutes under US law where marital status is a factor. People may live together for whatever reasons, but for same-sex couples prior to United States vs Windsor(2013) which made marriage extend to same sex couples, and Obergefell v. Hodges(2015) which invalidated any legal challenges against the same, a lot of rights could not be enjoyed by them vs their straight counterparts.

I believe what VanFanel meant is that homosexuals had the right to marry, just people of the opposite sex! *Facepalm* God not this crap again. That reasoning is literally regurgitated from people like Pat Robertson. Yes, under your view I'm free to marry someone I'm not capable of being sexually or romantically attracted to, that feels soooooo much better! Anime dazed I guess I'm just supposed to suck it up and marry a guy. Doesn't matter if I cried & got depressed everytime we had sex, just so long as I'm making bigots & their God happy right???

I'm not a Christian. I don't have to follow your moral codes. I am an American and a human being, and I deserve equal treatment under the Constitution. That's why same sex marriage was ruled constitutional. Deal with it.

And stop with the whole bs of right-wing christians being the 'persecuted minority'. No one has been fined or arrested for speaking out against same sex marriage and it's been legal now for over half a year. Only 1 person was (Kim Davis) and she was arrested for refusing to DO HER JOB as a clerk in charge of rubber stamping marriage certificates. Same thing would've happened if she refused to sign off on any other marriage cert like an interracial marriage. If you feel like your job conflicts with your Christian beliefs hey guess what... you can quit your job!
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
This is yet further proof why we need a ban on religion in the United States. People of faith have gotten away with too much for too long in this country. It has to stop NOW. Check your privilege and renounce your faith, Christians.

So basically you want to just walk all over one of the founding pinnacles of the United States which was freedom of religion? Ya know, that whole first amendment thing. Ban something you don't agree with is your idea. Nice. Moving on.

For those of you who want to complain this article is crap, it's not news, it doesn't belong here etc. This is an INTEREST piece, not a news article. If you're not INTERESTED in it, or any other interest piece (says it right at the top of the article), than don't read it and don't post. It's that simple. Posting just to say something along the lines of this isn't news is basically you simply wanting to hear yourself speak and nothing else.

As for the rest of you stop with the insults. You can debate opinions but personal insults have never been and will continue to not be tolerated here. The discussion on homosexuality also ends now. It was not mentioned in the article at all and is only driving the thread further down the hole you all are so diligently digging for it. Some of you need to stop bringing it up every chance you get because it more than frequently is off topic and only makes bad situations worse. Thank you.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:36 am Reply with quote
People spent money on those toys. It doesn't sound like they had an itemized list banning the toys they didn't like.

If they are going to throw toys away without telling the donators what is allowed and what is not, why should anyone donate to them.

The common person is not going to know that Harry Potter or Pokemon are considered heretical.

If they are just going to throw my money away, I wouldn't donate to them anymore.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
You could have just said that it is legally considered a religion in many parts of the world. Also, Elsa from Frozen is a witch. Don't remember but at least one of the ponies in MLP also uses magic. The list is like the energizer bunny, it keeps going and going and ...

I'd like to clarify that in the MLP franchise, ALL unicorns can use magic, and pegasi have a specific type of magic only they can use that allows them to fly and levitate objects they're carrying (but can't use any other form of magic). In Friendship Is Magic, unicorns make up approximately one-third of the population, and pegasi roughly make up another one-third. Not to mention the word "magic" is in the title of the show.

Lostlorn Forest wrote:
My mother hated both franchises and threw away our Game Boy Colors and Advances as well as the games/cards. She also threw away our Star Wars comics and anything related to Harry Potter, although I'll admit she was way out there. In that she believed the world would end in 2011 and forced an 11-year-old into it for years. You'd be right in assuming it is responsible for my current depression and anxienty, but I guess you could say I love those franchises more than I originally would have because I wasn't allowed them.

What happened after 2011 came and went with nothing world-shattering happening? (And I have to also wonder: Why did she throw out those things when she could've refused to buy them in the first place?)

I feel I should also say that the Pokémon Trading Card Game league I used to play at was in a church. Pretty clearly, they understand that Pokémon is fiction and doesn't represent the real world.

TarsTarkas wrote:
People spent money on those toys. It doesn't sound like they had an itemized list banning the toys they didn't like.

If they are going to throw toys away without telling the donators what is allowed and what is not, why should anyone donate to them.

Or at least told beforehand that those donations will not be accepted. There's absolutely nothing anyone will lose by providing advance notice of what they cannot take, aside from some time lost making sure donors know. Otherwise, they're being dishonest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
If they have Islamic, Hinduist, or atheist toys, they would not give those out too.

I gotta ask - what's an atheist toy?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
If they have Islamic, Hinduist, or atheist toys, they would not give those out too.

I gotta ask - what's an atheist toy?

https://youtu.be/uffhs11lccM?t=133

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
Well, anti-Abrahamic religions doesn't quite equal atheist, and the dreidel wasn't real, but I get your point. I just couldn't imagine what you meant. Smile
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:57 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well, anti-Abrahamic religions doesn't quite equal atheist, and the dreidel wasn't real, but I get your point. I just couldn't imagine what you meant. Smile

No prob. Happy Festivus! Laughing
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

I don't think that's actually true. Unless you are referring to the Catholic church, who are not the writers of the bible. The bible was in existence long before they ever were.
No where does the bible mention the earth being flat. It actually refers to the earth as a sphere, or circle on several occasions. Job 26 mentions it a couple of times.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I don't think that's actually true. Unless you are referring to the Catholic church, who are not the writers of the bible. The bible was in existence long before they ever were.
No where does the bible mention the earth being flat. It actually refers to the earth as a sphere, or circle on several occasions. Job 26 mentions it a couple of times.

The catholic church has never given support to the idea that the earth is flat. You are probably confusing the spat that Copernicus had with the holy church over the idea that earth is the center of the universe, but by the time of said trial, more than 50 years had elapsed since Christopher Columbus first voyage to the Americas, which if anything was proof that earth was spherical, that there was no border from which the ocean would fall into space.

So, to keep on the thread topic, what would be the difference between an atheist toy and an agnostic toy?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:05 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The catholic church has never given support to the idea that the earth is flat. You are probably confusing the spat that Copernicus had with the holy church over the idea that earth is the center of the universe, but by the time of said trial, more than 50 years had elapsed since Christopher Columbus first voyage to the Americas, which if anything was proof that earth was spherical, that there was no border from which the ocean would fall into space.

The Greeks believed the earth was round (why else would ships disappear over the horizon?), and even estimated its circumference, but that the continents were surrounded by the Ocean ocean, from whose currents no one could ever return. (And that could already be a problem in the days before triangular sails revolutionized ship navigation.)
Galileo, who openly cribbed Copernicus's work, was tried for questioning the church's stance on Aristotle, and the "Concentric spheres" theory of the earth at the center of the universe....Which doesn't make any sense to support theologically, either, if you think about it.

Quote:
So, to keep on the thread topic, what would be the difference between an atheist toy and an agnostic toy?

Well, I did joke about Penn & Teller action figures, Isaac Asimov space robots, Lewis Black "Anger" toys, and the new Science Experiment Kit with Build-It-Yourself Altar, but the post mysteriously disappeared...
(Also an Amazing Randi magic kit, but since he recently Outed himself as having been longtime married to that Brazilian artist who helped him with the "channeling" hoax, the Mods might have objected.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

Ah yes. My mistake. I think that's probably what I was thinking of.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Also, while I have no idea where the whole flat-Earth idea came from, Aristotle not only knew the world is round, he had 5 ways to prove it too. By the 3rd century BCE, Erastothenes accurately calculated not only the circumference of the Earth, but also its tilt and possibly its distance from the Sun. It's kind of weird that the European Middle Ages took so much of what Aristotle said to heart but rejected that one part.

By the way, if you want to donate your Pokémon or Harry Potter toys, pretty much any other donation service will take it as long as it's in good condition, and it should be easy to find another one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5